Global Grip Challenge 2004

smitty

Thanks to some unexpected generosity that was bestowed upon me, which will be repaid no matter what the donor says, I will be at the Diesel grip contest in September. See you guys there.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitty

• mobsterone

• Jedd Johnson

• Mikael Siversson

I think I've got everything worked out. I'm in. Jedd and Smitty, I'll be getting the sign up sheet to you soon.

Im out. Work requirements make it impossible to attend. Ill still help out with the contest in anyway I can. Good luck to everyone!

Austin

Im out. Work requirements make it impossible to attend. Ill still help out with the contest in anyway I can. Good luck to everyone!

Austin

That's too bad. A man with a very strong crushing grip will be missing a very big contest. If anything changes let us know.
I think I've got everything worked out. I'm in. Jedd and Smitty, I'll be getting the sign up sheet to you soon.

Great news. Let me know if there is anything you need.

Thanks to some unexpected generosity that was bestowed upon me, which will be repaid no matter what the donor says, I will be at the Diesel grip contest in September. See you guys there.

Can't wait, brother.

-Jedd-

Quick question - in the beginning of the RT rules it says a thumbless grip is allowed, but later on in the document it says it will not be allowed. Doesn't matter to me either way, but it would be good to clarify. Thanks.

I'm still in a deep depression about not being able to attend, due to family obligations and a less than Rockefeller bank account. And I say this with very little tongue-in-cheek.

Have a blast guys, without mu-mu-mu-meeeEEEE... whaaa! :cry

Quick question - in the beginning of the RT rules it says a thumbless grip is allowed, but later on in the document it says it will not be allowed. Doesn't matter to me either way, but it would be good to clarify. Thanks.

A thumbless grip is NOT allowed. Thanks for pointing that out, Clay.

Any other errors please let me know. Any changes to the rules will be covered at the contest so that everyone knows and understands.

-Jedd-

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished talking with my sponsor, several beers at 0130am later... he he I'm coming boys!! Get out the flags - Global Grip Challenge here I come!! Woo Hoo!!

Ha Ha! Awesome, baby!

-Jedd-

DIESEL

Just finished talking with my sponsor, several beers at 0130am later...  he he I'm coming boys!! Get out the flags - Global Grip Challenge here I come!! Woo Hoo!!

Unleash Hell Mobster. They don't know what they are doing, inviting you to a five event competition, including RT and contesting one hand only. This competition should definitely suit you even better than the Europeans (except for the much better benders in the US, even if folders were excluded).

In fact, looking through the results from the 2004 Europeans I have no doubt that you would beat both Benny and David with the GGC rules. They are more allround than you (being strong in both hands in all events) but this would not help in a one hand only competition and with their small (David) to medium (Benny) sized hands, they would be no match for you in the RT, with your large hands and impressive open hand strength. :mosher

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Godd luck Steve! At least we know you will show up for a contest in the USA. That has not been the case with others in the past who have stated they were coming and then backed down.

My buest guess is that David, besides being tired after the European Championship, feels hesitant competing in a contest that to some extent (RT) favours large hands. In the one hand lift (with a one inch diametre handle) all are competing on equal terms (provided the competitor has the overall body strength needed to reach the limit of his hand strength). Looking back at all LGC competitions we have had there has been a VERY strong correlation between hand size (and at the same hand length, those with longer fingers relative to the length of the palm tend to do better) and Rolling Thunder results. This is not ment as critisism of the GGC competition, as we have included RT in the LGC until very recently. I am better at RT than one hand lifts (relatively long hands at 8'') but recognise that it gives me an advantage against those with shorter hands.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Cheers guys. Re DH: He told me the day before the IG in May that he was planning on retiring and I KNOW DH sticks to his word. At that time the GGC was still a dream in Smitty and the Crews eyes. So I don't think his being tired per se has anyhting to do with it.

I had an awesome workout this Thursday, which as the first day of training after the EU comp and have already raised my PB on the V-Bar.

with their small (David) to medium (Benny) sized hands

Just curious what "small" and "medium" mean for measurement?

:laugh

I am gald you are coming Mob. As far as David Horne goes, only he can answer best, but I HIGHLY doubt the contest layout is what kept him from coming. That statement is just ridiculous. David is retired, plain and simple.

I want to once again thank Jedd and Smitty for organizing what is going to be the greatest grip competition in the WORLD in terms of overall talent, huge amounts of prizes and cash, and strength events afterwards. Its a long and hard process, trust me I know, and you guys are doing great and going above and beyond.

Dont let anyone make you think otherwise fellas :mosher

Rick Walker :rock

Will you be coming Rick? Even if you ain't competing it'd be good for the guys to get fired up by you.

Of course I will be there Mob. I wouldnt miss it for the world!

Why not make this competition both hands? It only makes sense that overall grip strength means both hands are in the picture.

They don't know what they are doing, inviting you to a five event competition, including RT and contesting one hand only.
- The level of the competition at the GGC2004 will be incredible. Unfortunately, because of the number of competitors, contesting both left and right hands is not an option unless we turn it into a 2 day event.
they would be no match for you in the RT, with your large hands and impressive open hand strength.

- yes, the RT favors large hands, but if the open hand strength and wrist strength are there, smaller handed competitors will do just fine. Midget has 7" hands and pulls massive weight on the RT. And.....it is only 1 out of 5 events..

I want to once again thank Jedd and Smitty for organizing what is going to be the greatest grip competition in the WORLD in terms of overall talent, huge amounts of prizes and cash, and strength events afterwards. Its a long and hard process, trust me I know, and you guys are doing great and going above and beyond.

- Thanks Rick, the GGC2004 has basically consumed my entire 2004 year. Organizing something like this takes a lot of patience and diligence and it is very difficult - assuming that one wants to put on a great contest - which is what we wanted to do....

Why not make this competition both hands? It only makes sense that overall grip strength means both hands are in the picture

Impossible to do. We arent talking 10 or 15 competitors here..the number of competitors could be upwards of 30-40!

Contesting 5 attempts with each hand would not allow for the best part of a grip contest/get together: the massive amounts of FUN afterwards! ;)

Plus, I would think most guys will use both hands. I know I wont do the entire thing with just one hand, cause my right is stronger then my left in grippers and v-bar, but my left is stronger in rt.

Impossible to do. We arent talking 10 or 15 competitors here..the number of competitors could be upwards of 30-40!
- Actually we are talking closer to 20-25 competitors right now....
Plus, I would think most guys will use both hands. I know I wont do the entire thing with just one hand, cause my right is stronger then my left in grippers and v-bar, but my left is stronger in rt.

- Yes, Rick is right. Most competitors (if not all) will make attempts with both hands...

Edited by smitty

I've done 10 and 11 hour events and they are no kind of fun. It becomes strength endurance rather than out and out raw power. Liberal use of caffiene has got me through but I'd much rather it be a short but intense blast of power.

Long contests are no fun for sure! I've been to too many LONG power meets that take forever.

Keep it to 5 events. Some are "off hand" only.