Not Just Another Ugly Face

Clay Edgin

Brett, I bought the box of G5's from Orchard Supply Hardware in Salinas where I live. They actually had two different boxes of bolts - same size, same number of bolts, same grade, same everything, except the price was $2 more. Don't know why!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clay Edgin

• Thaibox

• EricMilfeld

• Meat Loaf

So I had the bright idea to try to adapt the Smolov squat program to my deadlifts, starting tonight. I am sore, comrade. I found a calculator online that gave me what sets, reps, and weight I was to do and it kicked my butt bigtime. I could not finish the sets.

Warmup reps with 135

" 225

" 275

" 315

4 sets of 9 reps with 405. Did the first set double overhand and then switched to mixed grip. I could not get the 8th and 9th rep on the last set. Nausea, dizziness, cold sweats, and very tasty burps.

Ouch, comrade. I have never deadlifted more than 5 reps in my life and this killed me. Maybe I should switch it up to 9 sets of 4 reps?

No bending, gripping, or tearing today. I'm lucky to make a fist.

Clay-

Smolov is a very difficult program to apply to deadlifting. Your (one's) recovery time after high volume pulling is simply not the same as high-volume squatting.

Not that you asked for advice, but be very careful.

Pulling heavy for reps don't do nobody no good.

Have you tried the routine as indicated for squatting? It's a real puker. Really. We always had the can by the monolift at our gym when the coach would force us to do the "motherf*cking Russian routine..." as it was affectionately known to the members.

Zach

Zach, the day after I finished my first workout with this program and my hamstrings felt like guitar strings that were about to snap, I knew that this probably wasn't the best idea in the world for my deadlift. Took about 4 days to completely recover and even the thought of pulling heavy before then made my legs cramp.

I think we can safely chalk this up in the "Good idea, but not practical" column. I think my current schedule is about the best I can manage - pull heavy on Friday, rest a few days, throw scottish games weights on Wednesday (good dynamic movements) and then rest til Friday again.

6/3/04

Good final workout before the AOBS dinner. Worked my hands pretty good and did some fun stuff. It was a refreshing workout since my last few have been less than stellar.

2-G2 6.5" long (fun to try to bend these quickly)

1-G5 6"

1-prekinked 257.5k bar unbraced

2-prekinked IM red nails braced (one kinked to 34 degrees, one kinked to 40 degrees)

1-deck of cards

Lots of assisted Inch lifts. I am still working on getting it up with no tilt and managed to get some airtime under it today for the first time without tilt. I can brace the bell, lift it, and hold it with one hand now so I know the untilted lift from the ground is coming soon.

Also messed around with some 50lb hex head lifts. Nothing special, just a couple inches of air and a lot of "scooting" across the carpet.

Tonight was the first time I saw stars and almost blacked out too. Cool!

Excellent work with the Reds and the Inch Clay. :rock

Theres no doubt that you will get both the Red and the Inch in the near future.

Together with your #4-close this would be an incredible accomplishment.

Guess you will be the first to be able to perform these feats then? :bow

Blacking out rules.

I used to play the trumpet. HARD. And i used to black out a LOT. Why do you think i played for 8 years?

MEAT

Thanks Frankyboy. Actually, I think Dave Morton is the first to be certified on both the #4 and the red nail, but when I do manage to perform all the feats I will be in good company! Big Steve is melting reds like butter and is going to be slamming his 4 shut real soon too. A couple of the Holle brothers may already be doing the 4 and the red. Tommy H. too.

Dan, I saw how redfaced you got at the Iron Grip contest trying the various feats and am not surprised that you black out once in a while! haha

6/7/04

I'm a tool. I said my last workout was going to be last week so I could rest for the week, but I talked myself into "testing" my limits on a couple things tonight. Plus, I got some new bolts...so you know how that goes...but no more messing around for the rest of the week. Just my luck - I'd hurt myself right before the AOBS dinner and spend the weekend with my arm in a sling. That would suck.

2-60d nails (surprisingly fast for me)

Some Inch lifts - no tilt and cleared the ground by several inches before falling.

1-5/16"x8" G2 bolt. Felt like a 1/4"x6" G5 I think.

1-#4 attempt to 1/8" which surprised the heck out of me since I thought I'd be farther off than that.

Rest, rest, rest, and then I'll trash my hands in New Jersey.

• 2 weeks later...

Been very busy, so I've been out of the loop, but you're doing good big man. I had my first real training day the other day and whacked 5 6" G5's and a bunch of common 60's in under an hour. Other than that, I continue to lose weight and the rest of my body is pretty weak. I'm still not very good with cards yet. They're tearing, it just takes too long, and creates too much of a mess.

No matter whats going on, or how big of a clusterf**k my life is, I still consider our race on brotha'!! :D

Eric, good to hear from you man. The race is still on!