Not Just Another Ugly Face

Clay Edgin

5/8/04

I am such a big junkie when it comes to this stuff. Went to the dollar store today and picked up about 20 decks of cards and 4 6" wrenches.

2 decks of cards (getting easier and easier now)

3 wrenches - http://www.castledarkmoor.com/strongman/wrench.WMV

Pic of the 3 wrenches is in my gallery.

Must rest before I do something stupid!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clay Edgin

• Thaibox

• EricMilfeld

• Meat Loaf

Junkie, junkie, junkie.

Worked on two scrolls, both of which are in my gallery. The pretzel one was cool.

1 60d nail

6 decks of cards

What is this, some kind of intervention? I tore off a bit of skin on my thumb pad from the cards last night so I will rest until it is healed.

You still planning on going to Livermore on Sunday Eric?

And miss a chance to laugh at you in a skirt? Never. I will definately be there.

Edited by Thaibox

2 days off = rested hands = new PR in card tearing

Went out and bought all the decks I could find at the dollar store and had a tear-a-thon. Longways, cross ways, even tried to quarter the deck. 13 decks total, 6 done across the deck, 7 done longways. And 4 IM blues

Came back after posting that and did 5 more decks - 2 across, 2 longways, and a very ugly corner tear.

Ya, your defiantely addicted, but at least your good at what you do........

Clay, you are the Beast That Bends. Great work and very fun log to read.

Yes, I am one cunning linguist

Clay, I caught the cunning linguist reference. Nice work.

-SMP

I'm glad someone did!

Did a variety of stuff yesterday - some medium-heavy deadlifts, bent a 60d, tore a deck, and played with the grippers. The #4 is as tough as I remember.

Only had about 15 minutes to train tonight so I wanted to see how much I could do at full intensity before my hands fell off.

2 decks of cards

#4 squeezes

Fought the 257k bar some more to no avail

Lots and lots and lots of assisted Inch and 50lb hex head lifts

Took the full 15 minutes and was drenched in sweat afterwards. Cleaning up made us a couple minutes late for dinner, but no biggie.

So I had the bright idea to try to adapt the Smolov squat program to my deadlifts, starting tonight. I am sore, comrade. I found a calculator online that gave me what sets, reps, and weight I was to do and it kicked my butt bigtime. I could not finish the sets.

Warmup reps with 135

" 225

" 275

" 315

4 sets of 9 reps with 405. Did the first set double overhand and then switched to mixed grip. I could not get the 8th and 9th rep on the last set. Nausea, dizziness, cold sweats, and very tasty burps.

Ouch, comrade. I have never deadlifted more than 5 reps in my life and this killed me. Maybe I should switch it up to 9 sets of 4 reps?

No bending, gripping, or tearing today. I'm lucky to make a fist.

Clay, are the decks of cards you tear the same ones that you sent me a month ago? if so...holy crap...those decks are TOUGH. The cards feel like ripping plastic and they slide all over the place. i have torn a whole deck of cards, but those decks are really slippery and tough! Also, it is great to read your reports! Good job on the grade 8. BTW what store is good to find a grade 8 at? I found a grade 5 on a fluke at ace hardware, but they had no grade 8s.

BTW thanks for the encouragement and ill be stretching my forearms :)

MEAT

Actually, I had some G8's shipped to me by a couple generous board members.

The decks I gave you were are indeed tough. They're the toughest ones I've ever tried before. These new ones are easy and while 18 decks may sound impressive, it's not! Dollar stores are great for finding good decks to tear

Clay,

I'm glad that you are having so much success bending! I have found that (cause i am a moron and never rest enough until i get hurt...with bending...because i am addicted) bending REALLY detracts from crushing strength. in fact, my right wrist has been hurtin for 2 weeks (no thanks to a bunch of oly lifting screw ups today!).

I guess with bending, you need to build up endurance too, huh. Gains seem to come really fast, but only if you rest enough, right? I will NEVER bend over-underhand again cause that's what put my right wrist in the doghouse. I think that dbl-overhand bending is the way to go for strength and safety.

Great job on your near 600 deadlift! You bum, i knew that i couldn't stay ahead of you for long....dare ya to beat me!

I had to hide all my nails and bolts (shove them at the bottom of a big box) so that i wouldn't hurt myself. I lack discipline! and i really want to concentrate on grippers..but enough about me..let's talk about ME some more, eh? :ohmy

Good to hear that you are doing well

MEAT

5/24/04

After buying a 100-pc box of grade 5 bolts the other day (a good deal at $25), I decided to break them in proper.

2-grade 5 bolts @ 6" length

0 - Grade 8 bolt @ 6" length

Lots of Inch lifts and hex head lifts (assisted)

The Grade 5's felt like BUTTER so I knew tonight was the night for the G8 to go down. Wrapped it, slapped it, and kinked it to nearly 40 degrees underhand. This m-fer was going to die tonight. Turned it over, started to bend, and the threaded end of the bolt ripped through the rag and my palm. Dang. Tried to finish it off, but it wouldn't go. It will go DOWN next time I bend. And I will do another one from start to finish.

My hex head and Inch bell are usually covered in chalk, but after seeing Wannagrip manhandle those shiny clean blobs I decided to clean them off and try the lift without chalk. It worked surprisingly well! I could get some air under the Inch without tilt and lifted the 50lb hex head a couple times to lockout. Not trying to discredit anything Bill did though!

It should be noted that my hex head has the paint ground away on one spot on it where the fingers touch. It is just bare metal on either side. This is the side I have lifted. I have yet to lift it by gripping the painted sides, but it feels very doable soon.

40 degrees is a great underhand bend on that grade 8. I was able to get mine about 10 degrees.

Yeah, but you're stronger than I am with the overhand technique!

Porkbone sent me some 12"x12" cordura swatches (thanks Mike!) and I tried them out today while sitting in my office. I have a grade 5 bolt here (you know...just in case) and bent it using only the cordura pretty easily. I'll wait until the holes in my palms recover and then attack that G8 with just the pads and see what happens.

Porkbone sent me some 12"x12" cordura swatches (thanks Mike!) and I tried them out today while sitting in my office.  I have a grade 5 bolt here (you know...just in case) and bent it using only the cordura pretty easily.

Clay, that makes me laugh, "just in case" I totally feel the same way. I keep my grippers in my desk at school and if a student is giving me a load of crap I tell them they can not talk until they can close the #1. They struggle for the rest of the hour, but remain quiet and not disruptive. I teach high school by the way, just so you didn't think I was exposing 3rd graders to the IM #1.

-SMP

Well, you never know when you might get some new bending rags in the mail and you KNOW you can't wait until you get home to try them out.

Just got home from highland games practice and finished off that prekinked grade 8 that I worked on earlier. I will try to do one from start to finish tonight.

Start to finish will be easier. You go Clay! :rock

No other bolts or nails cooperated tonight and I definitely need some days off!

Clay,

Quick question -where did you find the box of Grade 5 for that price?

Also - great tip from you and Eric on the Cordura fabric.

The G8 from start to finish will be easier - I rarely try to finish off pre-kinked stuff - just doesn't work for me.

Great training

Brett