Not Just Another Ugly Face

Clay Edgin

Got off early tonight and did a little lifting. I must have had someone upstairs helping me because I hit a 20lb PR in the deadlift. I hit that illustrious mark of having 6 plates per side - 585lbs. 600 stalled out right above my knees. I can't believe I didn't lock it out! Very, very soon it will go. Things are really starting to happen now, and best of all I'm losing some weight in the process.

Deadlift - 335x3, 425x1, 515x1, 575x1 PR, 585x1 PR, 600x0, 515x1

Bent over dumbbell rows - 110x5, 130x5, 150x5 (each arm)

Hit a hardware store on the way to the gym and picked up a handful of some grade 2 bolts, including 2 5/16" bolts like the ones Eric Milfeld just bent.

Edited by ClayEdgin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clay Edgin

• Thaibox

• EricMilfeld

• Meat Loaf

Did a little bit of bending last night because I had 10 grade 2 bolts that were just sitting there doing nothing.

10-grade 2 bolts @ 6" length

1 deck of cards

I had an idea/vision. More later.

Congrats on SIX plates, Clay! 600 is just teasin' ya now. Any workout now, buddy.

And oh yeh, your bending is rockin too! But don't discount the possibility of Eric faking his death. ;):laugh

Edited by EricMilfeld

Just for a little motivation for the deads....My PR prior to my first surgery was 605. Knowing that, I know you'll be able to pull 606. :D

Eric, I've come up with much better excuses just in case. :whistel

Truthfully, Clay is the stronger bender at this point. I need to get my act together and train harder. I'm allowing myself to slack and lose sight of priorities while this monster is developing even more. In fact, I'm going to go hit a couple more g5's, because I'm pissed at myself now :dry

Eric, I think I will have to load up 605 and put a couple extra collars on the bar next time I lift ;) But pound for pound, you and Milfeld are still better deadlifters than I am. Give me another six months however and we'll see!

I need to get my act together and train harder. I'm allowing myself to slack and lose sight of priorities while this monster is developing even more. In fact, I'm going to go hit a couple more g5's, because I'm pissed at myself now

Now we're cooking with gas! Train smart though - those six G5's I did made me sore to the core and I still need a couple days before I'm 100% again.

I'm sitting in my chair sweating, my hands shaking, and I'm spending more time correcting my misspellings than typing. I prayed before attempting the Grade 8 but it was not my time yet to bend it as I have only warped it. It will go though. Other than that, it was a pretty strong night.

2 blue nails

1 grade 5 @ 6" length (first one done completely double overhand. Took maybe 7 seconds to kill it.)

Attempt at Grade 8 bolt

6 60d common nails.

I could not get the "feel" of underhand tonight so I worked on strengthening my overhand stuff. Ouchie. Time to rest until my challenge bars come in!

The grade 8 DEMANDS respect. But soon, you will command its respect, Clay!

Got my challenge bars in today, so rather than let common sense prevail and wait for a few days I tested myself to see what I can do after a max bending day. Turned on the video camera, wrapped up the bars, and bent away:

1-206k Bar

1-212.5k bar

1-222.5k bar

1-230k Bar

0-245k bar

I fought and fought the 245k bar but it would not cooperate. Bent it 28 degrees. Had I been fresh (or at least not bent yesterday) I think it would have gone, but I thank God for giving me the strength to go through the other bars without injury.

Now as I type, my arms ache from elbow to fingertip and I am going to impose a multi-day rest period.

That was fun. And I was just watching. My guess would be that when you nail the 245, a 5 1/2" grd 5 will be in the bag. Thanks for sharing. And awesome progress! :rock

Very cool brother. I can't believe that you didn't fold the 245, when you made that 230 look so damn easy :blink

Like you said, you'd definately crush it if you were fresh. :rock

Had the quality of the video been better, you'd have seen the trademark Edgin vein popping out of my forehead on that 230k bar!

Went out and did my weekly highland games practice yesterday. Not too bad.

28WFD - hitting 57-59' consistently

56WFD - hitting 28-29' consistently

I throw without a glove and there was a little bit of tacky on the handle of the 56, so on one of my last releases it tore off a dime-sized callus on my right ring finger and part of the callus on my right middle finger. After taping my fingers up a bit I couldn't hang on to anything so I had to call it a day. D'oh!

Not much bending the last couple of days. Maybe a half dozen 60d's. Got a tender spot on my left palm from crushing nails down. Bending bolts feels much more comfortable, but I'm such a cheapskate that I don't want to buy more bolts before I make a good dent in this 50lb box of 60d nails. Hit the gym today:

GM's: 135, 185, 225, 275 (all x5)

Clean and strict press: 135x10, 185x5x3

Rack pulls from knee height to lockout - 445x1, 535x1, 625x1, 715x3 (raw), 715x3 (w/straps)

And a few 60d's.

5/5/04

Cinco de Mayo! Bendo el ferro! Eato el Tacos!

60d nail

finished off the 245k challenge bar

2-grade 8's @ 6". Bent braced to 30-40 degrees and then crushed

5/16" CRS @ 7" length (red clone) - Bent braced to under 40 degrees and finished off unbraced.

Kinked the 257.5k bar

Oucho my handos! Pictures en mi galleria

Yo Hablo Spanglish

Edited by ClayEdgin

Thanks Dane.

Apparently my hands didn't hurt that bad because I came back and did some more stuff. Kinked the 257.5k bar another 10 degrees (gotta love protracters to measure your progress), scooted some block weights around, did some 25lb plate curls (no swing!) and some rear levering. After all this, I had to use both hands with my fingers interlaced to hold onto a glass of water.

Your linguist skills are impressive man. :bow

Good job on the 8's. Braced or not, those things are no joke.

Your linguist skills are impressive man. :bow

Yes, I am one cunning linguist

5/7/04

3 decks of cards

1 1.25" phone book

Video of the card tear is up at http://www.castledarkmoor.com/strongman/cardtear2.WMV

Also took my #3 off the wall for the first time in a month and did some no-set closes with it. Fun stuff.

Wow, great job Clay! :bow