Not Just Another Ugly Face

Clay Edgin

The road to the big one has ended, or should I call it the big "4", and now I'm heading down another path. The road to the red nail. And I'd like to get more proficient with the block weights and Inch bell too.

4/13/04

Bending - warmed up with an easy timber tie, then a blue nail (crushed it waaaaay down - pic in my gallery), then went after the 220k bar that I barely kinked some time ago (pic also in my gallery). Rekinking it was a bitch, but once it got to about 140 degrees the rest went easy. Dammit my forearms are sore. It is definitely time to rest!!! Feels like the forearm bones are separating! haha To cool down, I went through some tough timber ties (harder than blues) and finished the workout with a TT that is a hair easier than a blue.

I went to both Home Depot and Orchard Supply today looking for grade 8 bolts, but the longest they have are 1/4" by 2" and ain't nobody alive today gonna be bending THOSE things unbraced.

Block weights and Inch - several tries at the Inch, none of which were notable, and I keep lifting the 50lb hex head to about knee height before I give up and let it fall. Deadlifted it fully once two nights ago and again tonight though so that was cool.

Edited by ClayEdgin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clay Edgin

• Thaibox

• EricMilfeld

• Meat Loaf

Clay, it will be fun and enlightening to read this new log too. I'm looking forward to learning a lot! :D I'm especially interested to see how you tackle and soon conquer the RED. I might be "borrowing" some of your ideas.

Sounds good so far Clay!

Will be waiting for you to crush the RED :cool

Austin, I am kinking the nail using the terminator style and then going right to the crush down. I am using two thin shop rags to wrap the nail in and leather pads to cushion the ends of the nails in my palms. Once I get the nail to 90 degrees, I usually unwrap it and crush it down with just the leather pads.

Today my right elbow and forearm are thrashed so I have to lay off the bending for a few days.

I think the red nail is about as far as I want to go with bending. I don't like bending really short stuff - 6" is about the limit for me. No 5" red nails or anything!

Edited by ClayEdgin

I don't like bending really short stuff - 6" is about the limit for me.

Ditto. Bending very short bars is a pain in the ### for me. But I'm all the more impressed by those that can master 4" blues and stuff of that kind :bow

Even though you slap the piss out of me in every other grip area, we're very close in bending. Hmmm.....maybe I should start a training journal....

"My race with Clay to the red" :whistel

:D

Let's do it Eric!

Tonight's bending workout:

4 yellow nails

3 Grade 2 5" bolts

2 tough TT

2 1/4" x 8"

1 60d

1 grade 5

That is probably the most I've ever bent in one sitting. Ouch.

The grade 2's were kind of like a blue nail, maybe a hair harder. The crushdown was very smooth though.

Did a little lifting tonight.

Clean & Press - 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 245x3, cleaned 275

Good Mornings - 225x5, 275x5x3

A little bit of bench pressing and some reverse curls too, although my wrists were still not too happy from the bending workout yesterday.

After playing with my new stainless nails, I decided to make it a full bending workout.

2-40d nails (stainless common)

14-timber ties (hard as blue nails)

2-60d nails (stainless common)

2-60d nails (regular steel common)

1-Grade 5 bolt @ 6" length (cheat-kinked it over a barbell and then finished it off

1-1/4" x 4" brass rod

1-Grade 2 bolt at 5.5" length

What was really interesting to me was when I finished off one of the 60d's, I did it like Dennis Rogers does in between the thighs. Made it significantly easier! I stopped bending after it started to be very difficult to kink the TT's anymore and I was getting on the verge of hurting myself, so I did something rare and stopped for the night.

The grippers will give the wraist strength to

bend the red and I would day that done the BB worldclass will

help the hand get stronger. Also, when a person get up it is

easier to get up on other things too. Not really putting 100 percent on

other things includes bend.

Tonight was a great night for bending. Wow. Huge PR and my arms feel great.

1 blue nail

6 grade 5 bolts @ 6" length

http://www.castledarkmoor.com/strongman/grade5-1.WMV (900kb)

I only have one bolt left. Better hit the store!

Great job on that grade 5! :rock

As with everything else, you make it look easy! :bow

The red will fall for you soon!

You did 6! G5's in one sitting. Dammit.

Oh man, are my hands gonna hurt tonight. :blink

I didn't know you started underhand bro.

Good job on the Grade 5's Clay. Once you can do about 7 or 8 Grade 5's in a workout, challenge yourself with a Grade 8. It'll go.

Thanks guys. David, I plan to try the G8 soon.

Eric, I had messed around with underhand before and didn't really get anywhere with it so I had been using the reverse grip recently. Last night I tried it again and it felt a lot stronger so I will stick with it. I feel like I am right on the cusp of bending the G5 double overhand with no initial kink since it is flexing but I cannot yet get it to bent. Soon!

Same here. The blue teases me when I try to start overhand by flexing a little, but that's it. I've always started with reverse. Maybe I'll try underhand tonight since I have to bend 7 G5's :D

Careful Thaibox, Clay may have just written that he did 6 G5s to get you to injure yourself by trying 7!

He sent me a whole box of horseshoes that are very painful to bend! :pinch

That's right, my plan is working perfectly! I can only become the greatest by injuring everyone else!

It's a little something I call "Progression by Assassination" ;)

Edited by ClayEdgin