• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

Here is my $0.02 on this matter ..........

Bottom line for me is:

-no explanation

-no justification

-no warning (esp since some guys were in the middle of a cert)

-arbitrary measuring device (given some thought, they could have come up with something a bit more ..... credible than a credit card - esp considering the earlier post on how to skirt the new rule)

This all equals a loss of credibility IMO and I would rather work towards something that has a solid base and is not prone to seemingly haphazard changes.

I just want to have a monster grip and set or no set I will one day close whatever gripper is put in front of me. BTW, I have been reading more of the board and have realized that I do not really know what a "set" is, so have been doing my closes with just enough set to get my pinky in place. I just re-measured my hand and it is a shade under 8" .... so getting a credit card to fit does not bother me.

What does bother me greatly is the mid-stream change in the IM cert (again, esp. considering that some guys are part ways through the process) and for that reason alone all of my future certs will be via this GB and my own belief which is good enough for me. Besides, if I know that I can close a particular gripper, then it does not really matter who else knows it or believes it. I know that I cannot lie to myself about a close and when I mash each successive gripper my own sense of accomplishment will be my greatest reward.

That being said, any external certs should be free of controversy so I would rather focus less on the IM cert process/changes and focus more on building this GB's cert into something that can one day be THE cert to aim for. After all, IM started somewhere too, did they not?

PS ... as for the MM0, let's make it a bit over the #3 so that there can be no doubt about the strengths behind the GB certs.

............ keep the change

I have a funny feeling that Kinney had no part in the rule change. He just doesn't seem like the type of guy who would care about this.

I have a funny feeling that Kinney had no part in the rule change. He just doesn't seem like the type of guy who would care about this.

I doubt if JK could care less, There are however only about half a dozen grip legends, maybe less.

Remember guys, it was just a rumor. Or was it posted in this thread as a direct response from Randy himself??? Not sure. There's now 13 pages of posts so I'm not going thru it.

Anyway, remember, just what I heard (or was it read in this thread?). Besides, just because a legend was asked doesn't mean they agreed it was a good thing for mid-stream changing.

The only legend with ties to IM is Joe Kinney apart from JB.

You might be right. I just thought he has NO interest in grippers.

and someone else just got BACK into it.

I have had it up to here. I've come too far over the past 4 months.

Rubbing my hands down with Ben-Gay, sleeping with mittens,

taking aspirin until my ears ring - no, this is war now. My wife

is one signature away from having me committed.

If they require a Visa card or my Sam's Club card, I'm doing it.

I just hope to god credit cards don't become wider this year.

:angry:

T

Edited by tspinillo

If IronMind comes out with a new VISA card, I am shutting down this board pronto! ;)

Right Wanna, The only thing I was really getting at, is that there are only so many names with the "Legend Of Grip" title in them. ;) Mike

I am sure all they did is provide an opinion. That's all. So, did a few others I guess. It was Randy's decision to make.

Guest gripmaster316

All I can say is wow! So many posts. I did not know that the grip world was so conservative! In sifting through all 12 pages of this stuff I just want to say a few things. Someone said that with this credit card stuff that you would be doing 90% of the close. No! A credit card is about 2 inches? So a gripper with a 3 inch spread, you still have an inch to play around with... I am not quite sure if this is enough for the smaller handed individual. Anyway with this new rule 66% of the close is at your disposal. It would not be surprising if Kinney had any input in this rule... may I remind you of his domination of the 4. Even though Randal is probably getting many hate mails I find it good that he gets back to some of you guys! Most likely the rule will not go away so don't complain... train! Yes I understand that the smaller handed individual will find it harder... how about focusing your hatred on a gripper attempt? As well think how mighty impressive it will be when you smaller handed people start closing the #3 in this way! When you close a gripper in a no set, 2 inch etc. style you can be proud to say that you have dominated that gripper.

Edited by gripmaster316

I would bet money Joe Kinney had nothing to do with this rule.

Can't believe this crap. Just lost a lot of respect for Ironmind and Strossen. I just got my new copy of the magizine. Had it in the dumper for leisure reading. Ill have to shelf it for a while now till I can stomach this new rule. I just starting getting consistent with the damn thing too.

Thanks a lot Randy.

Reminds me of the nerdy kid that would bring his new basketball to the park and want to play and control the game, changing the rules mid game and all. After a while he would get frustrated and throw a hissy, stomp off in a tiff with his ball and go home. " You guys play by my new rules or I'm going home with my ball." "Huh."

Nothing like a guy with a little power abusing it like a 4 year old.

Dammmmmit!

I played around with the new technique a little tonight. It is harder than with a deep set for sure, but it is not as hard as a no set. The shallow set that you can get with the credit card width can put you in a much better position than a true no set. I predict many people on here will be able to do the #3 with this credit card method in time.

Does anyone know when sets were first allowed? Just read on the Grip Board that Bob Lipinski used one about Dec. 2000 which he said was with Strossen's knowledge. Someone else quoted Strossen as saying he allowed it a little over a year ago--meaning about early 2003. Maybe some people wouldn't mind posting when they were certified and whether they did a no set or set close. Just curious. Also how many have had to close a new gripper out of the box? It would be interesting to see who did this out of the box close and when. Does that apply just to the #4 or also to the #3? :unsure

One or two of

So you must be close to the #4 still with the new rule right?

Now there's a question! Let me see how I get on at the Iron Grip. If I ain't going to the European then I'll focus on the CoC 4.

What i'm saying is you were close to the #4

before the rule how about now?

No.

Randy's reply:

Jim,

Many thanks for writing about this because I think a lot of people are

interested in what we planned to do with the certification lists.

There are no second-class citizens on our lists because if we didn't believe

somebody followed the rules, we wouldn't have certified them. Also, we

don't feel that anybody should be penalized because a rule was later

clarified or revised. And something that not everybody might know is that a

lot of guys on our lists closed the grippers in just this style - the

one-inch rule was something we instituted a little over a year ago to try to

stop what appeared to be a trend toward deeper and deeper sets. It might

seem radical at first glance, but all we're really trying to do here is hold

the line on the set, and nobody is getting kicked off any list, demoted, or

anything else like that.

I talked someone earlier this afternoon who thought we meant the long edge

of the credit card and so he was concerned about being able to close the

gripper if you didn't have hands the size of a baseball glove - what we mean

is the narrow edge, so you'd be starting with about a two-inch spread, which

will accommodate even a smaller than average hand.

Many thanks for asking about this - we'd like to answer any questions that

we can about this.

Randy Strossen

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

Now ask him about Jan Bartl and the Rolling Thunder rule change.

BS some people have small hands and that last 1/2 inch is the hardest to shut

close.