Ironmind News.

2strong

I agree Matt, I guess the "journey" will take longer, but who cares. I just realized I broke one of my own rules in life. I had been trying to get cert. to prove to OTHER people my hand strength. I should have been doing this for my self, now that I am back on track , I finally realize I have nothing to prove to anybody, but myself, and will train in this manner from now on. Mike

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rob Vigeant

• OldGuy

• mobsterone

From what little I messed with the new rule yesterday it's much easier to set the gripper and open it back up to the card and then bring it back to close. Trying to bring it to the card and then on down in motion really sucks.

I wonder if that is legal. Set it deep, bring it back, and then start.

I would think so, you are really wasting more energy this way, but it feels better.

I wonder if that is legal.  Set it deep, bring it back, and then start.

It will be legal until IM decides too many people are certifying again ;)

Some people are saying that with the new rule that they cannot reach with there pinky. I do not even have room on the handle to use my pinky even though I can reach easily and have never set any gripper. Large hands can also be a problem! Meanwhile all this is several nails in the Ironmind certification coffin!

If I ever get certified i'm pulling out my credit card on my key chain it's over an inch. To bad it'd never work. I just don't care anymore i'm going to train to be able to close the #3 the old way with a set. Then once I have accomplished that start working on the no set. The MMG0 is my new goal

Asking Randy to remove your name from the list would probably make his day. He'd say "see, just as I suspected, many of the recent certs were due to improper closes, and now some of them are fessing up".

I guess the gripper situation will parallel the powerlifting situation with different Feds having different rules. "So who's stronger, a new #3 COC certifier or a MMG2 certifier?". "Well it depends on their hand size...". And so the debates will go.

Guest gripmaster316
I think you should have paid a bit more attention in math class. It's about 2 1/8 for a credit ard. There's two sides. Most grippers are not on the high side of 3 inches. PLUS, there are TWO sides. :cool

I am a history major :rock

A recent reply sent to me from Ironmind.

Graeme,

Please hang in there a little longer because I must not be doing a very good job addressing your concern about hand size and I want to take another shot at it. If you believe that we have some evil intention here, I might not be able to convince you otherwise, but if you stop to think about it, do you really believe that we are so dumb as to think we would win a popularity contest with this? We did this because we feel it is the right thing to do, but give me a little time to see if I can do a better job of addressing the issues you raised.

Thanks again for writing - the better I understand your perspective, the better job I can do trying to answer your questions.

Randy Strossen

IronMind Enterprises, Inc.

Do you think he has had many e-mails regarding this new rule?

Hey guys,

Seveal thoughts. Though I disagree with Randy on handsize being involved in the biomechanics of the close. Though I disagree with him changing the certification process midstream (and affecting me). I have no problem with his reasons if I take him at his word. Randy called me last night and we had a very pleasant discussion for about 30 minutes or so. Randy is certainly not doing this for money as he stands to lose a bunch from this. So I do respect him for not being out for the almighty dollar. He wants to get away from the spirit of Bench Press shirts, knee wraps, steroids, and other influences that are not in the spirit of old time strength athletes. Basically what can you do? Not what can you do with technology, or sets, etc.

So, results of my call with Randy. I will not be boycotting Ironmind products. However, because I have a background in BioMechanics, I will not be attempting to certify on the #3 as I feel the new rule puts me at a mechanical disadvantage and could lead to tendonitis and other repetitive stress injuries. A set allows me to work in the proper strength curve of the gripper and my hand. The new rule is like getting on a leg extension machine with my knee being about 6 inches forward of the pivot point. Just asking for injury. However, that is my hand and is specific to me. (though I suspect most people with less than 8 inch hands will be similar to myself) I respect Randy for taking the time to call me and spend the time he did. I respect him for making what had to have been a hard decision that he knew would be unpopular. I still however disagree with him.

I will be attempting to certify on the MM0. Rekx, if you're out there, lets make the MM0 our contest. I will still buy a #3 to train on, and read Ironmind publications, but I will am also loyal to the Gripboard and my friends here. I support Randy's right to make his decision, and I support Rick Walker making his. I respect Rick for standing up for his beliefs.

I highly recommend for anyone who has a problem with the rule and felt personally attacked by the new rule as I did to email Ironmind and ask Randy to call you. He will and he is gracious about it. In the end, this is a sport and pursuit that I have a passion about, but it is supposed to be fun for me, not life and death. If I want to certify on something, I will do it where I feel best suits me. For me the MM0 is the cert that makes best sense.

Wanna, please update us as soon as you can about the new gripper as I need to purchase whatever gripper it is to train for. My goal has not changed. I want to hit that level before September, and with the support of fellow grip enthusiast here on the board and a lot of determination, I know I will.

Out

W

Edited by dubthewonderscot

He wants to get away from the spirit of Bench Press shirts, knee wraps, steroids, and other influences that are not in the spirit of old time strength athletes.

If that was the case then why not initiate a drug test too? I'll take that test and pass any day, but I can't train to make my hands longer. This is an issue of fairness as I see it.

This is analogous to asking a light-wieght Olympic weightlifter to compete directly with a Super heavy-weight. Think about it, if they didn't have weight classes there would be nothing but drugged out super heavy weights in that sport, that's where we are headed with the new rules, probably just the pro strongman circuit guys.

He wants to get away from the spirit of Bench Press shirts, knee wraps, steroids, and other influences that are not in the spirit of old time strength athletes.

The steroids thing is a joke. Just thumb thru the latest MILO. While you are at it, read about a MILO cover boy being banned for life for drug use by the IWF.

The steroids thing is a joke. Just thumb thru the latest MILO. While you are at it, read about a MILO cover boy being banned for life for drug use by the IWF.

The anti steroids message is well thought out rhetoric.

IMO,there is NOT one issue of MILO that does NOT have some athlete featured that is using drugs or has used drugs.

"spirit of old time strength athletes" :erm Come on......look at the photos?look at the covers?read the articles?The magazine glorifies a lot of athletes that have used drugs.We don't have to name the athletes...we know.

I could care less about what some of the top strength athletes do(they don't ALL use).I read the magazine and I am not judgeing those that use....but when a rule change is justified by such rhetoric???I'd be insulted if someone actually expected me to believe that.

"respect him for not being out for the almighty dollar"???but he expects us to believe changeing the rules all about getting back to "spirit of old time strength athletes"Come on??

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

The anti steroids message is well thought out rhetoric.

IMO,there is NOT one issue of MILO that does NOT have some athlete featured that is using drugs or has used drugs.

"spirit of old time strength athletes"  Come on......look at the photos?look at the covers?read the articles?The magazine glorifies a lot of athletes that have used drugs.We don't have to name the athletes...we know

This is the reason Milo has never appealed to me,what can I gain from articles written by drug cheats also how many who have closedthe # 3 have used drugs :whistel

Randy, you blew something that was going really well for you. Everyone was pumped about getting certified I gurantee your sales were up. If you don't like how high the #4 list is make a damn #5, then tote yourself as having unclosabe grippers. I really doubt he has much of a business background.

PS: he says it's the right thing to do how would he know. Like Rick said he has no clue.

...So I do respect him for not being out for the almighty dollar. He wants to get away from the spirit of Bench Press shirts, knee wraps, steroids, and other influences that are not in the spirit of old time strength athletes...

I respectfully disagree here. He is running a business and the goal of that business is to make money. If he'd really wanted to make the certification more legitimate he'd have passed it off to an uninterested 3rd party. He has most likely made lots of money from CoC marketing and sales. If the claim that the 3 is only closed by the elite grip athletes is under fire from too many certifying too fast then it would be a legitimate business decision to slow down the pace of certifications.

Anytime a commercial interest controls every factor in a certification they should be held accountable for the quality of every factor used to certify. For example, Microsoft offers certifications for various products they supply. What if 2000 MCSE's were unable to add new users to a system because the certification materials for the year 2000 were missing a chapter or 2? As an employeer you'd be damn sure to make sure that your interviewee who was certified as an MCSE was a non-2000 MCSE. With enough holes in the certification it starts to lose it's value and becomes worthless.

It seems that Ironmind has never really cared about the consistancy of their grippers, so why should we swallow the line that they now care about closes with too close a set? A little quality control would go a lot further in regard to evening the playing field among CoC's of different vintages.

Brian

I dislike a lot of what has happened to the IM COC certification, but even more than the "changing the rules midstream" or "not fair to smaller hands" is the silliness of the rule #4. A credit card...come on. All other serious strength feat that require a certain range of motion don't base the feat's completion off of random items. I tried this credit card deal this morning and really don't care for it. By the time I got the gripper set, eased it open enough to get the card in, then had my work out partner finally get the card in right, then resumed my crush I was well below my max gripping potential. It was not the range of motion that killed me it was the circus act of the credit card. I can understand, but don't agree with the critisizm of deep sets, but the credit card solutions is just silly.

I don't like silliness distracting me from a good workout.

It was not the range of motion that killed me it was the circus act of the credit card. I can understand, but don't agree with the critisizm of deep sets, but the credit card solutions is just silly.

I don't like silliness distracting me from a good workout.

Think of your grip tools: Grippers, sledgehammers, ISG, blobs, chalk, and now: the credit card. It truly is silly, would fit right in on a Monty Python skit.

When I decided to give the credit card a shot I put in the credit card (actually a dept card, does that count?) and in my zeal to try and close the gripper I didn’t pull the card out in time. The card started to bend before it flipped out! I remember the old days when IM wouldn’t accept credit cards and you had to call to get a shipping quote. Now, they are required to close grippers! Weird.

:laugh:laugh That's a good one Tom. I too have tried the new crazy method. I had to hold the gripper in this ridiculous position for about five seconds before I could attempt a crush. Not exactly a dynamic movement at this point.

I hiope people who were training to close the #3 or four continue to train for it. I would still like to hear when someone closes their goal gripper even if it means they did it the right way, I mean the old way.

Some people are saying that with the new rule that they cannot reach with there pinky. I do not even have room on the handle to use my pinky even though I can reach easily and have never set any gripper. Large hands can also be a problem! Meanwhile all this is several nails in the Ironmind certification coffin!

What the hell are you talking about?

I remember the old days when IM wouldn’t accept credit cards and you had to call to get a shipping quote. Now, they are required to close grippers! Weird.

We should do this: everyone find an old, no longer usable credit card and send it to Randy with the following note: The new rule sucks! Here's MY card!! :angry::angry: