Chrisof4

chrisof4

2/19/2004

I felt stronger today than the last two days. My focus today has been on card tearing, and medium level bending. I am planning to workout at the gym tonight, and on days I do max level bends, my gym workouts suck, so I am sticking with medium bends. I am planning to try for the 7" x 1/4" HRS again either tomorrow or this weekend.

Here is today's training.

Hindu squats: 60

Card tearing:

One deck of 10 cards

Two decks of 15 cards

One deck of 17 cards

Two decks of 20 cards

Attempt at deck of 23 - This was after my bending today, and my hands were shot.

I am still nursing a minor injury to my right arm caused by last weekend's card tearing. For now, I am focusing on higher volume and smaller decks.

Bending:

1. One 5.5" carriage bolt

2. One 40D polebarn nail

3. One 5.5" x 3/16" square rod

4. One 60D polebarn nail cut to 5"

5. Attempt at 50 common nail - I kinked this, but felt I could not U it without setting back my attempt at the 7" x 1/4" HRS tomorrow or this weekend.

Forward Levers (6lb sledge @ 11")

1. 5 reps - LH

2. 5 reps - RH

Wrist rotations (6lb sledge @ 13.5")

1. 6 reps - LH

2. 5 reps - RH

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• tmmicklabs

• bencrush

• AP

Top Posters In This Topic

2/19/2004 (cont.)

I got some block weight work in tonight.

25 lb

1. DL - RH

2. DL - LH

3. Clean - RH - This was very sloppy, but it was the first time I have been able to do it, so I was still glad.

4. DL and hold x 5 seconds - LH

5. DL and hold x 5 seconds - RH

6. DL and hold x 30 seconds - LH

7. DL and hold x 15 seconds - RH

8. DL and hold x 5 seconds - RH

My level I dexterity balls arrived from Ironmind today, so I spent about 4 hours working with these tonight.

I feel pretty good. I am looking for a great bending day tomorrow.

Great workout Chris.

Congrats on the 25lb blockweight.

Keep it up.

I hear a 7 inch cut of 1/4inch HRS calling your name today.

:rock

2/20/2004

I did light training of various kinds throughout the day. I was saving up for an attempt at a new bending PR, which I achieved. :rock

Card tearing:

One deck of 12

One deck of 13

One deck of 15

One deck of 20

Misc. pony clamp work

Forward Levers (6lb sledge @ 11")

1. 4 reps - LH

2. 4 reps - RH

3. 6 reps - LH

4. 6 reps - RH

Reverse Levers (6lb sledge)

1. 12" x 8 - LH, I had to drop to 12" because of the pain in my wrist

2. 15" x 9 reps - RH

3. 12" x 9 reps - LH

4. 15" x 11 reps - RH

Wrist rotations (6lb sledge @ 13.5")

1. 7 reps - LH

2. 8 reps - RH

3. 8 reps - LH

4. 8 reps - RH

Bending:

1. 40D polebarn nail

2. 7" x 1/4" HRS - New PR :rock

3. Attempt at timber tie, 12 twist per nail. I only got this about 5 degrees.

2/21/2004

I focused on plate pinches and plate curls during my workout today. I only bent one nail. My wrists are still recovering from the 1/4" HRS yesterday.

Card tearing:

Two decks of 20 cards - I am still struggling with technique. When I get the cards positioned properly, they tear quickly. When I position them wrong, even a deck of 10 cards is impossible.

Bending:

One 40D polebarn nail

Plate pinches (40lbs comprised of 25+10+5):

Deadlift and hold for 5 seconds x 4 - both hands

Plate curls (20lbs comprised of two 10lb plates):

Four reps each hand

2/22/2004

I had a great bending day today. I started this morning, and after a few light bends, I felt pretty good. I moved into some medium stuff (60D polebarn cut to 5") and U'd two back-to-back. Then I bent a 50D common. I made an attempt at a second, but I was out of gas by then, and I was only able to kink it. I gave my hands a contrast bath, and figured that would be all for today.

Then I went shopping for some more 60D polebarn nails. The store had run out of the ones I was buying and they had put a new box out. These polebarns were different. They were thinner, and the rings went 3/4 of the way up the nail. I figured these would all break in half before I could U them, so I didn't buy any.

Instead, I picked up a small box of the 8-twist/nail timber ties, on a whim. I have heard others talk about bending these several times, so I decided to give them a try. It turns out these are easier than the 1/4 HRS I have been struggling with. I was able to U two of them within an hour this afternoon. They are also easier than the 12-twist/nail galvanized timber ties I got at another hardware store. I still have not been able to U one of these.

Bending:

1. 40D polebarn

2. 5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

3. Two 60D polebarn nails cut to 5"

4. One 50D common

5. Two timber ties - New PR

6. Multiple attempts at various other materials

Card tearing:

One deck of 15 - My heart wasn't really in this, so I stopped there.

Three closes with my #1 right-handed. One attempt at a close with my left (1/2" short). I did a couple of negatives with my left.

I also did a lot of work with my level I dexterity balls.

2/23/2004

My wrists are shot after all the bending this weekend. I have had a constant ache in my hands and wrists all day. I did a few light bends, but quickly decided rest was more important today. I also did a workout at the gym tonight.

My arctic mittens arrived today, so I spent most of the evening wearing them around, and I slept with them on.

Forward levers (6lb sledge @ 11")

1. 6 reps - LH

2. 6 reps - RH

Reverse levers (6lb sledge)

1. 13" x 10 reps - LH

2. 15" x 13 reps - RH

Card tearing

Two decks of 15 - I am still focusing on technique

Bending:

1. One 40D polebarn nail

2. One 5.5" carriage bolt

2/24/2004

My wrists don't ache as much today, they just feel weak and clumsy. It is easier to make a fist again, but my hands still don't feel strong. It looks like no major bending for at least another day or two.

My training partner, Tmmicklabs, and I exchanged "care" packages with each other via US mail. Even though we live in the same city, we are on opposite ends, so mail was a better option. We have been comparing various bending materials via email, and we finally sent each other several samples of items we have been bending. Mine arrived today, and it was great comparing his samples to what I have been working on. Unfortunately, I am not strong enough right to try and bend most of the nails he sent, but I plan to have lots of fun with these over the weekend! I did try my hand at a few of the easier items, and probably set my recovery time back by at least a half day. I couldn't resist! :(

Training volume was low since this was technically a rest day.

Forward levers (6lb sledge at 11"):

1. 4 reps - LH

2. 4 reps - RH

Reverse levers (6lb sledge):

1. 13" x 10 reps - LH - There is still slight pain in this wrist, but it is manageable

2. 15" x 12 reps - RH

Wrist rotations - I started on these, but I just felt weak, so I let them go for today.

Card tearing:

Two decks of 15 cards - My technique is improving. I am getting a good clean tear more consistently.

One deck of 17

One deck of 20

Attempt at a second deck of 20, but my hands gave out on me. :angry:

Bending;

1. 40D polebarn nail just to see how it felt. It was easier than yesterday, but I can tell I need a few more days rest.

2/25/2004

Again, I feel better than yesterday, but still not 100%. Now my wrists only hurt when I do certain things, instead of all the time. I felt up to trying some of the nails Tmmicklabs sent me. I U'd the 40D polebarn he sent me, which was slightly more difficult than the ones I have been doing.

I also wrapped up a thick 60D polebarn he sent. I gave this a pretty good try, but could not budge it, and I was not ready for a max effort bend today. :whacked

Next, I wrapped up a skinny 60D polebarn he sent. Holy Cow! These are some springy suckers. I managed to bend it down to about 15 degrees, but it took me almost a minute. After that, I went all out on it, and the darn thing snapped like a pencil! :blink There is no flexibility in those nails at all.

For grins, I wrapped up a timber tie to judge how my recovery is progressing. I could not budge it. Maybe tomorrow or this weekend.

Also, my card tearing volume is up a little. I am hitting the sweet spot on the cards more often and tearing through them on the first attempt. Because my primary focus is on bending, I am not doing max effort attempts at card tearing. In spite of this, I see improvement. Whereas two two weeks ago, I could only do a deck of 25 with tremendous difficulty, yesterday I tore through a deck of 22 with relative ease.

Here is today's training

Card tearing:

Three decks of 18

Two decks of 20

One deck of 22

Bending:

1. 40D polebarn

2. 40D polebarn from Tmmicklabs

3. 60D polebarn from Tmmicklabs - skinny, springy one

4. Attempt at 60D polebarn from Tmmicklabs - thicker nail

2/26/2004

I am almost back to full strength. I did a lot of card tearing and low-strength bending. My training partner, Tmmicklabs has PR'd in his bending every day this week, I think. This is causing me to be somewhat impatient, but I am trying to listen to my body, and not move too fast. I will be ready for some serious bending this weekend. :mosher

Card tearing:

1 deck of 15

1 deck of 18

5 decks of 20

3 decks of 23

3 decks of 25

1 deck of 27

Bending:

Four 40D polebarns

One 5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

One 5.5" x 3/16" square rod

One 60D polebarn cut to 5"

Block weights (25lb)

Left - Clean and press x 2 PR :rock

Left - DL and hold for 20 seconds

Left - DL and hold for 30 seconds

Right - Clean and press x 3 PR :rock

Right - DL and hold for 5 seconds

Right - DL and hold for 20 seconds

Plate curls:

Left - 15lb x 4

Left - 15lb x 6

Right - 20lb x 2

Right - 15lb x 6

2/27/2004

Card tearing:

Four decks of 20

Bending:

Three 40D polebarns

Two 5" x 1/4" carriage bolts

One 60D polebarn cut to 5"

2/27/2004 & 2/28/2004

I felt kind of weak on Saturday. I slept in and was having kind of a lazy day. Around noon, I decided to do some bending. I started with a 40D polebarn just to warm up. This took quite a bit of effort. I did a second polebarn, which felt quite a bit easier, so I figured I just needed to warm up a little. Then I tried a timber tie. I struggled quite a bit with this, but finally U'd it after about 5 minutes. At this point I was more tired than I should have been, and my hands and wrists hurt more than they should have. Last weekend, I had a major bending session and was able to take down 7" x 1/4" HRS, as well as numerous other challenging (for me) bends.

I wrapped up another timber tie and struggled with it for another 5 minutes, and was barely able to kink it. At this point, I called it quits. Nothing felt right. My grip was weak, my forearms were sore, and my wrists hurt. I really am not whining, but I want to keep an accurate report of the problems I encounter, as well as the measures I take to overcome them.

At this point, I am very frustrated with my training. I feel I have gone easy on the bending, but the pain from last weekend has not gone away. I just can't seem to get back to feeling 100%.

I took the rest of Saturday off to rest and reflect on what might be wrong. I also did no grip training on Sunday. I think I may have figured out what the problem is.

I have been doing three types of grip training on a pretty regular basis: Bending, card tearing, and block weights/plate pinches. Add to that work with the grippers intermittently. Finally, I have been doing weight training at the gym three times each week. My weight workouts usually last between 45 minutes to an hour, and I usually do two sets of seven different exercises. It also occurred to me today that several of my weight training exercises naturally work my grip. Most notable are my pullups, curls, lat pull-down, tricep push-down, bench press, and shoulder press.

As I look back on the week, I have had good gains in my weight training, block weights/plate pinching, and card tearing. The only thing that is suffering is my bending. I think I have made the mistake of thinking that just because I was not bending, that was the same as resting my hands and wrists. Of course, in retrospect, that seems stupid.

I am going to try adjusting my workout schedule to include real rest days (e.g., no grip work at all). I am also going to try prioritizing, and train on the things that are most important. It is clear to me that I cannot train everything at once. Bending and weight training are the two most important things to me right now, so my training should reflect that.

So, here is my plan going forward.

First and foremost, I need to get healthy. I was reluctant to admit I am injured, but I cannot ignore that there are three or four places on my hands and wrists that hurt when I do even simple things (tie my shoes, turn a door knob, grasp the steering wheel, tilt a glass, etc.) I tried to write these off as normal, but I don't think they are. The only work I have done since Saturday's bending is a weight workout today. Starting now, I am going to rest 100% until my wrists have healed.

Second, I am going to cut back on my weight training to two times a week for the next two weeks. Assuming my hands and wrists have healed, I will go to the gym on either Wednesday or Thursday, and then once on the weekend.

Third, I am cutting out card tearing and block weights/plate pinches completely until my bending is back on track. Once my bending begins to progress, I will see about adding these back in one day each week.

The only other thing I need to do is figure out how I am going to train my bending each week. My training in this area has been very haphazard and spontaneous, and now that the bends are getting harder, I don't think that is going to work very well.

I think I will try something like this;

1. High volume/easy bends one day each week. Nothing more difficult than the 40D polebarns and the 1/4" carriage bolts.

2. Low volume/difficult bends. This will start with 60D polebarns, progress to the 8-twist timber ties I have or perhaps the 50D common nails, and finally the 7" x 1/4" HRS.

I am going to try to restrict my bending to two days each week. Between my gym workouts and bending, my grip will only get three rest days each week. Hopefully that is enough. I am going to try this for the next two weeks and see what the results are.

If any of you grip masters have any advice or recommendations, please do not hesitate to share it. Thanks.

3/2/2004

I have been completely resting my grip for the last several days, and I am feeling pretty good. I bent ten 40D polebarn nails back to back, and could have done some harder material, but I didn't want to push it. If I am still feeling good tomorrow, I will work up to some harder stuff.

Great way to come back.

I am looking forward to some great things from you this month.

:rock

3/3/2004

I had a much better bending day today. All that rest has really paid off. Here are today's bends:

1. Two 40d polebarn nails

2. One 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

3. Two 5" x 1/4" carriage bolts

4. Two 60D polebarn nails cut to 5"

5. Five 8-twist/nail timber ties

6. One 50D common nail

7. Attempt at 7" x 1/4" HRS - Nothing, I was already out of gas

8. Attempt at second 50D common nail - Got it to 25 degrees

Now I am going to rest until Saturday or Sunday. I will work out at the gym tomorrow.

Thanks to Tmmicklabs, my training partner, for his support and encouragement.

Thanks to Tmmicklabs, my training partner, for his support and encouragement.

That is pretty cool that you have a grip training partner. It seems uncommon that 2 people interested in grip would manage to meet & train together. My weight training partner isn't consumed with grip at all, but at least has trained enough so he can finally close the #1.

I've been following your log & enjoy the detail & your bending progress, but think I'll have to start with coathangers if I am ever going to take up bending. That steel looks a bit daunting and unforgiving, but I guess that is the appeal as well. Keep bending & posting, and a year from now it will be really fun to look back at your progress.

Odin,

Thanks for your kind words. The irony is that Tmmicklabs and I live in the same city, yet we have never met. We live on opposite sides of the city, so we train via email. We send pictures back and forth and keep each other informed about our goals and our progress and problems. He just moved, and once he gets settled in, we are going to meet and have a gripfest.

Even though we are online training partners, this has been very helpful to both of us. I doubt either of us would have made as much progress as we have, if we were on our own. :cool

BTW - I can see from your log that you are doing great as well. I think these training logs are an awesome training tool. Keep it up!! :rock

1. Two 40d polebarn nails

2. One 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

3. Two 5" x 1/4" carriage bolts

4. Two 60D polebarn nails cut to 5"

5. Five 8-twist/nail timber ties

6. One 50D common nail

7. Attempt at 7" x 1/4" HRS - Nothing, I was already out of gas

8. Attempt at second 50D common nail - Got it to 25 degrees

Seems some nice volume Chris !

Among the above what are the Warm-up nails and the work nails ?

Thanks,

Amaury.

PS: Keep up the good work :rock

Thanks, Amaury. The 40D polebarns are definately the easiest nail. As a matter of fact, they progress in difficulty in the same order I bent them. So the carriage bolts are more difficult than the 40D polebarns, the 60D polebarn is more difficult than the carriage bolts, etc.

The real work nails for me at this time are the timber ties and the 50D common nails. I can pretty much guarantee I will bend the others on any given day, but the TTs and the 50D common are always a challenge.

I see your bending is really progressing also, although with your nails being metric, it is a little difficult to cross-reference them to the stock I am working with. Keep up the great work!! :mosher

Great ! I am not familiar with all those names so your description helped a lot (here in France it's amazingly hard to find nails of a decent size and there is not a great variety of them :( ).

Amaury,

By the way, I see in your log you cross-reference your nails against the IM nails. Just so you know, all of the nails I am bending now are below an IM yellow in difficulty. I see you can bend a yellow easily, so any of the nails I am bending would be a warmup for you. :bow

Keep grippin!

Great Workout Chris :rock

I knew you had it in you.

These logs ARE great. It will be really fun to look back at these in a year.

You will be warming up with 60d commons instead of 40d polebarns.

Keep it up.

Just so you know, all of the nails I am bending now are below an IM yellow in difficulty

When i begun i could just bend a green : the yellow was out of reach ;)

You are making fast progress ! You'll soon destroy that yellow chunk of steel !!!

3/4/2004

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but tmmicklabs and I were discussing capturing some of our bends on video. So, I broke out the camera and performed a couple of bends. Nothing heavy, but I guess I should record it anyway.

Bending:

1. Two 40D polebarns

2. One 8-twist timber tie

Tomorrow is a rest day also, but there are some unbelievers at work, and I promised I would bend a TT for them. After all, I live in Missouri, so any claim of strength is immediately followed with "Show me." :D