Chrisof4

chrisof4

It has been rewarding and encouraging reading other gripper's training logs, so I decided to start my own.

Stats:

6' 0"

185 lbs

35 years old (as of January 24, 2004)

I started bending on January 1, 2004 (8 whole days ago!)

1/1/2004

Having never bent anything before, I did a little research on the Internet and came across Eric Godfrey's web page (Eric's Nail Bending Page). He had a pretty good plan for strengthening your wrists using a sledgehammer, which I began in earnest. Using a 4 lb. sledgehammer, I started out doing rotations left and right with each hand. I grasped the hammer at the bottom of the handle and did slow rotations 90 degrees in each direction.

Throughout the day I managed to do 5 sets:

1. 10 reps

2. 15 reps

3. 15 reps

4. 15 reps

5. 20 reps

I also purchased some 3/16" HRS and cut it into 7" pieces so that I could begin my bending practice. Now, Eric's webpage was very clear that I should practice with the sledgehammer for 6 weeks minimum before I attempted to bend anything. I am terribly impatient, however, and I began bending immediately. My first day's results are as follows:

1. I bent 5 pieces of 7" HRS

2. I bent 1 6.5" HRS

3. I bent 1 6" HRS

4. I bent 1 5.5" HRS

It appears my wrists were stronger than I thought. I know I am probably pushing too hard and too fast, but I feel strong enough to do this, and I need to find out what the current limits of my strength are. It was only with great difficulty that I was able to bend the 5.5" HRS. For now I will back off to the 6" until I can bend 3 in succession. My goal is 1 week (1/7/2003).

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• tmmicklabs

• bencrush

• AP

Top Posters In This Topic

1/2/2004

Here are the results of today's routine.

Rotations (5 sets with the 4lb sledge):

1. 10 reps

2. 20 reps

3. 20 reps

4. 10 (with this set I used an 8lb sledge and grasped it about 8.5" below the head)

5. 6 (again with the 8lb sledge)

I also added lifts to my work out. I start with the hammer head pointed at the ground and then lift it up 90 degrees in front of my body. Results are as follows.

Lifts (5 sets with the 4 lb sledge):

1. 20 reps

2. 20 reps

3. 10 reps (using the 8 lb sledge)

4. 10 reps (using the 8lb sledge)

5. 20 reps

My bending routing today was (all with 3/16"):

1. I bent 4 rods of 6" HRS

2. I bent 3 rods of 5.5" HRS

The 3 5.5" rods were bent in succession. I am amazed how much stronger I feel today. My arms, hands, and wrists are a little sore from the constant exercise, but I don't feel any injuries, so I am going to keep pressing forward.

I am amazed how quickly my strength seems to build.

1/3/2004

I did a full workout at the gym today, so any additional wrist exercises were optional. Even so, I did one set each of rotations and lifts.

Rotations (using an 8lb sledge and grasping 8.5" below the head):

1. 15 reps

Lifts (using the 8lb sledge)

1. 12 reps

My bending routine for today (using 3/16"):

1. I bent 4 rods of 5.5" HRS

2. I bent 3 rods of 5" HRS

I tried a 7" piece of 1/4" HRS today and couldn't even budge it. For now, I will be sticking with the 3/16".

1/4/2003

I have been shopping around at the hardware stores for various nails. I have been looking for something in between 3/16" HRS and the 1/4" HRS. I found some 40d pole barn nails that are 5" long. I tried to bend one and couldn't, but maybe these will be an intermediate step.

Today's routine follows:

Rotations (using the 8lb sledge, grasped 8.5" below the head):

1. 10 reps

2. 10 reps

3. 15 reps

4. 20 reps (using the 4lb sledge)

5. 10 reps

Lifts (using the 8lb sledge):

1. 10 reps

2. 15 reps

3. 15 reps (using the 4lb sledge)

4. 20 reps (using the 4lb sledge)

My bending routine (using 3/16"):

1. I bend 6 rods of 5" HRS. The last 3 were in succession.

I am definately starting to feel the boundaries of my strength. I am going to try to start moving a little more slowly so I don't sustain an injury. I have also added reverse lifts to my routine, so every set includes an equal number of lifts to both the front and then the back.

1/5/2003

Today I discovered 3/16" CRS. WOW! What a difference! It was only with great difficulty that I was able to bend a 5" rod. Also, my body is very tired today. Everything I do seems to take more effort. Any wrist work I did today was optional. My bend routine was also very short because I had so much difficulty with the CRS.

You might ask why I started with 5" CRS instead of something easier. Well, I didn't realize it was CRS until after I cut it all into 5" sections. So, now I am kind of stuck with it as is. :blush

Today's routine follows:

Rotations (using a 4lb sledge):

1. 25 reps

Lifts (using a 4lb sledge):

1. 20 reps

Bending routine (using 3/16"):

1. I bent 2 rods of 5" CRS

1/6/2003

I had a good hard workout at the gym last night and I initially declared today a rest day from bending. Well, that didn't last long. After resting for part of the day, I took another stab at the 5" CRS and found it somewhat easier. I also bent my first actual nail! :mosher It was the 40D polebarn I failed at 3 days ago.

I think I am beginning to encounter (and overcome) some mental obstacles in addition to physical ones, such as doubting myself before I attempt a bend. I am beginning to develop a mental routine prior to a bend that envisions a successful bend in my mind, and then focuses on the weak part in the middle of the nail.

Any wrist work was optional today, but I still got in a few sets. The results are as follows.

Rotations:

1. 20 reps using the 4lb sledge

2. 3 reps using the 8lb sledge grasped about 10 inches below the head

Lifts:

1. 30 reps using the 4lb sledge

2. 30 reps using the 4lb sledge

3. 5 reps using the 8lb sledge grasped about 10.5 inches below the head.

My bending routine (using 3/16")

1. 1 rod of 5" HRS

2. 4 rods of 5" CRS

3. 1 40D polebarn nail, 5"

1/7/2004

My wrists are very sore today! They don't feel injured, just achey. I would like to think that I will take tomorrow off to rest them, but I doubt that will happen. I just can't stop bending.

My wrist work was limited, but I got several bends in.

Today's routine follows:

Rotations:

1. 35 reps using the 4lb sledge.

2. 4 reps using the 8lb sledge grasped 10" below the head.

Bending routing (using 3/16")

1. 1 rod of 5" HRS

2. 4 rods of 5" CRS

Somehow I got my 5" rods of HRS and CRS all mixed up. I actually thought I was out of HRS. I wrapped a 5" rod in preparation for a bend, and when I began the bend, it folded REALLY quickly. I knew immediately it must be HRS because it was WAY to easy. It is really a shock to set up for stiff bend, and then have the rod fold so fast.

1/8/2003

Today I took another stab at the 40D polebarn nails. I found them much easier to bend today, and also found that they snap in half during my final crush. That is actually kind of fun! These seem to be fairly comparable to the 5" rods of 3/16" CRS I am bending. That is nice, because it is a lot easier to grab nails out of a box than have to cut them from a rod.

I can see that my wrist exercises have slacked off over the last several days, so I need to be more diligent about making sure they get done. I only did one set of lifts and rotations today, and I will try to get two more in before I go to bed tonight.

Here is today's routine so far.

Rotations:

1. 8 reps using the 8lb sledge grasped about 10" below the head.

Lifts:

1. 10 reps using the 8lb sledge grasped about 9.5" below the head.

Bending routine:

1. 2 rods of 5" HRS (these are still catching me off guard) :angry:

2. 3 rods of 5" CRS

3. 3 40D polebarn nails, 5" (all snapped in half)

I also tried to bend a 60D polebarn nail, and kinked it, but probably not more than 5 or 10 degrees.

Chris,

This is outstanding! You're making great progress! Stick to the bending and the log. I'm itching to try bending having read this.

Thanks for the encouragement, Macronan. It is very cool to have this forum!

Chris

I think you might be ready for some 1/4" work! Good stuff! Make sure you're warmed up first though.

Edited by AP

I agree I am getting close. I tried to buy some 1/4" HRS last week, and all they had at the store was something labeled 1/4" Weld Steel. There is nothing to designate whether it is HRS or CRS.

I cut a 7" piece and have not been able to budge it. :(

I also cut an 8" piece and still could not budge it. :angry:

Does anyone know whether this is HRS or CRS, or neither? Thanks.

Chris

Sounds like it MIGHT be cold rolled based on your other bending. Or it could just be tough stuff. See if you can buy a grade 2 bolt 1/4, those are about the same as HRS. If it doesn't have any slashes, has only two slashes or if you can bend it :) then its a grade 2...

OK. I will look for these and give them a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chris

Update to 1/8/2004

I managed to squeeze two more sets of rotations and one more set of lifts in.

Rotations (using an 8lb sledge)

1. 5 reps (grasping 9.75" below the head)

2. 10 reps (grasping 8.5" below the head)

Lifts (front and rear usign the 8lb sledge)

1. 7 reps (grasping 9.75" below the head)

I also worked in one more 40D polebarn nail.

1/9/2004

I seem to feel a new kind of pain every day. Last week I slightly pulled a muscle in my left pectoral. Before that, my wrists and forearms were the most sore (and still ache daily). Today I feel pain in my deltoids. I suppose this will continue as the weak links in my "circle of strength" are identified and strengthened.

The last of my bends today was a 5" rod of 3/16" CRS, and it was very difficult. The hardest thing to overcome was the pain in the palms of my hands. My hands have gotten tougher, but they still have a long way to go.

This is one aspect of bending the 40D nails I especially like. Since they have a sharp point and a head, I feel they dig into your palms more, which creates a little more pain. I don't like the pain, but I do believe it will help toughen my hands, which will better prepare me for bending actual 60D nails as opposed to various rods which are more blunt on each end.

Also, I am noticing my left wrist and arm are not progressing as quickly as my dominant right-hand side. To compensate for this, I am going to do 2 sets with the left side for every one set I do with the right.

Also, I taped rings on to the 8lb sledge at various intervals to make it easier to record where I am grasping it. Here is the scale:

#1 ring - 8.5" below the head

#2 ring - 9.25" below the head

#3 ring - 10" below the head

#4 ring - 10.75" below the head

#5 ring - 11.5" below the head

#6 ring - 12.25" below the head

#7 ring - 13" below the head

#8 ring - 13.75" below the head.

I will add more rings WHEN (as opposed to if) I need them. ;)

Here is today's routine.

ROTATIONS:

1. 25 reps with the 4lb sledge

2. 10 reps with the 8lb sledge (#1 ring - see scale below)

3. 10 reps with the 8lb sledge (#1 ring)

Lifts:

1. 20 forward reps with the 4lb sledge

2. 30 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge

3. 15 forward reps with the 8lb sledge (#1 ring)

4. 15 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge (#1 ring)

5. 10 forward reps with the 8lb sledge (#1 ring)

6. 15 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge (#1 ring)

Bending routine:

1. 3 40D polebarn nails

2. 2 5" rods of 3/16" CRS

1/10/2004

I did a little light wrist work this morning with the 4lb sledge. Then I went to the gym to workout. I had a great workout, but I was WIPED OUT when I got home. I took the rest of the day off to recover.

The family and I went to church tonight, and when we got home, I felt a lot better and felt fairly strong, so I decided to squeeze in a bend. I wrapped a 40D polebarn nail, and snapped it in half in under 15 seconds. It felt relatively easy. I grabbed another one, and snapped it also in about 15 seconds. Then I went after a third nail, which took a little longer (30-45 seconds), but I was able to snap it in half as well.

This gave me enough confidence to try the 60D polebarn nail. A few days ago I was only able to kink it about 10 degrees. I did not U it, but I did bend it about another 10 degrees (for a total of 20-25). My deltoids are really sore now, but my wrists feel pretty good. I think my wrists are really responding to all the sledgehammer work.

Here is today's abbreviated workout.

Rotations:

1. 15 reps with the 4lb sledge (left hand only)

2. 15 reps with the 4lb sledge (both right and left hands)

Lifts:

1. 15 forward reps with the 4lb sledge (left hand only)

2. 15 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge (left hand only)

3. 15 forward reps with the 4lb sledge (both hands)

4. 15 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge (both hands)

Bending Routine:

1. 3 40D polebarn nails

2. Attempt at the 60D polebarn nail

Tomorrow is a day off from the exercises. I am going to the Chief's game and any bending I do will be in the evening.

Chris04,

You are really manhandling that hammer I'm in awe :rock

I find there is a big difference in technique between bending pieces less then 6" and those that are longer maybe this is what is holding you back with your 1/4" work. Try bending two pieces of 3/16"x7" taped together or a 3/16"x7" piece taped to some coat hanger to get the feel of longer pieces of steel. I think you'll destroy it once you get the feel for it!

Jon@han

Thanks for the idea, Jonathan. I will give that a try. You might have a point, because I have only been working with 5" material for a full week now. Maybe I will have time to try that when I get home from the football game tonight.

I still need to get a grade 2 bolt and try that too, but I have been too busy to get to the hardware store.

Keep grippin!

Chris

1/11/2004

This is technically a day off. All training today was optional. My deltoids are still really sore. It appears they need some extra attention in order to get them strengthened. I am adding push-ups to my training routine. I did one set of 10 last night. Reminds me of my days in the Corps. OOHRAH!

It also reminds me how much I HATE push-ups! :whacked

I went to the Chief's/Colt's game today, and was too deflated by the Chief's loss to feel like doing any work when I got home. :(

About 6pm I felt better and started doing a little work. Still a light day, but I did accomplish a little. Here is today's routine.

Push-ups:

1. 4 sets of 10 reps

Rotations:

1. 20 reps with the 4lb sledge (left hand)

2. 20 reps with the 4lb sledge (right hand)

3. 20 reps with the 4lb sledge (left hand)

Lifts:

1. 15 forward reps with the 4lb sledge (LH)

2. 15 forward reps with the 4lb sledge (RH)

3. 15 forward reps with the 4lb sledge (LH)

4. 25 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge (LH)

5. 25 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge (RH)

6. 25 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge (LH)

No bending today.

I had a pretty productive day today. My goal was to get 3 training cycles in today, but since I was going to the gym tonight, I was skeptical that would happen. I did get almost two full cycles in, and that actually seems like a good goal, even on a non-gym day. A training cycle consists of push-ups, and wrist work with the sledge hammer, including wrist rotations, forward wrist lifts, and reverse wrist lifts. My deltoides are still sore, and it appears it will take some time to properly strengthen them.

Here is today's routine.

Push-ups:

1. 10 reps

Rotations:

1. 30 reps with the 4lb sledge - Left Hand

2. 30 reps with the 4lb sledge - RH

3. 30 reps with the 4lb sledge - LH

4. 10 reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

5. 10 reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - RH

6. 10 reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

Lifts:

1. 20 forward reps with the 4lb sledge - LH

2. 20 forward reps with the 4lb sledge - RH

3. 20 forward reps with the 4lb sledge - LH

4. 30 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge - LH

5. 30 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge - RH

6. 30 reverse reps with the 4lb sledge - LH

7. 10 forward reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

8. 10 forward reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - RH

9. 10 forward reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

10. 20 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

11. 20 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - RH

12. 20 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

Bending routine:

1. A 5" rod of 3/16" CRS

2. I bent 5 40D polebarn nails throughout the day.

3. I took a stab at two 7" pieces of 3/16" CRS taped together, and barely bent them.

4. I could not get any more bend in the 60D polebarn nail I am working on.

5. I also took a stab at a 7" piece of 1/4" HRS, and barely put a bend in it.

Tomorrow, I am going to try to double the rotations, and do half the lifts. My goal is two full cycles (including push-ups this time). I am also going to try to bend eight 40D polebarn nails. I will probably put the gym off until Wednesday.

Chris

1/13/2003

I felt pretty good today, and got a lot of training in. I came close to overdoing it with the bending though. I started to develop blisters on the palms of my hands, and the last bend threatened to tear them open. I needed one more bend to meet my goal of 8 40D nails, but I decided discretion was the better part of valor, and stopped at 7.

I am taking tomorrow off. I have read in other posts that the body needs some time to recover. I have this fear that all my training over the last 13 days will be lost if I take a day or two off. At the very least, I am concerned I will regress during the down time, and have to build back up when I start training again. This is probably a baseless fear, and based on what I have read elsewhere on this board, I may be stronger after some rest. We shall see.

Here is today's training routine.

Push-ups:

1. 10 reps

2. 11 reps

Rotations:

1. 25 reps with the 4lb sledge - Left Hand

2. 25 reps with the 4lb sledge - RH

3. 25 reps with the 4lb sledge - LH

4. 8 reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - LH

5. 8 reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - RH

6. 8 reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - LH

7. 8 reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

8. 8 reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - RH

9. 8 reps with the 8lb sledge, #1 ring - LH

Lifts:

1. 7 forward reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - LH

2. 7 forward reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - RH

3. 6 forward reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - LH

4. 12 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - LH

5. 12 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - RH

6. 12 reverse reps with the 8lb sledge, #2 ring - LH

Bending routine:

1. I bent seven 40D polebarn nails.

1/15/2003

I took the 14th off to rest. My hands were getting blisters, and I wanted to rest them before I caused the skin to break open.

During my day off, I found a 6lb sledgehammer. I needed something between a 4lb and a 8lb, so this will be perfect. I actually purchased two, one for home, and one for work. I took a marker and made a ruler on each handle so I would know how far down the handle I am grasping. Therefore, my ring number scheme is out the window.

I didn't lose any ground during my day off, so as I suspected, my fears were unjustified. At some point, I will probably develop a routine that provides two days off each week.

I also had a good workout at the gym. I added lateral lifts into my routine to help strengthen my deltoides. My upper body work consists of the lateral lifts, lateral pull-downs, and tricep push-downs. That seems to provide a pretty good upper-arm and shoulder workout. My sledgehammer work is targeting my lower arms.

Here is today's routine.

Push-ups:

1. 15 reps

2. 10 reps

Rotations:

1. 6 reps with the 6lb sledge, 12" down - Left Hand

2. 6 reps with the 6lb sledge, 12" down - RH

3. 6 reps with the 6lb sledge, 12" down - LH

4. 6 reps with the 6lb sledge, 12.5" down - LH

5. 6 reps with the 6lb sledge, 12.5" down - RH

6. 6 reps with the 6lb sledge, 12.5" down - LH

Forward wrist lever:

1. 6 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - LH

2. 6 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - RH

3. 4 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - LH

4. 7 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - LH

5. 7 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - RH

6. 4 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - LH

Reverse wrist lever:

1. 10 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - LH

2. 10 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - RH

3. 10 reps with the 6lb, 10" down - LH

4. 8 reps with the 6lb, 11" down - LH

5. 8 reps with the 6lb, 11" down - RH

6. 8 reps with the 6lb, 11" down - LH

Bending:

1. I bent 3 40D polebarn nails.

2. I tried to bend an 8" x 1/4" grade 2 bolt. I put a slight bend in it, but I could not U it.

I needed something between a 4lb and a 8lb, so this will be perfect. I actually purchased two, one for home, and one for work. I took a marker and made a ruler on each handle so I would know how far down the handle I am grasping.

Good technique. :rock

1/16/2004

Training routine -

Push-ups:

1. 15 reps

2. 10 reps

Rotations (Using the 6lb, grasped at 12.5"):

1. 8 reps - Left Hand

2. 8 reps - RH

3. 6 reps - LH

Forward Levers (using the 6lb, grasped at 10"):

1. 8 reps - LH