Chrisof4

chrisof4

1/17/2004

I U'd my first bolt today! :mosher

It was a 1/4" x 6" carriage bolt, chromed. I found this to be about the same as the 40D nail, maybe a little easier. I tried another one that was galvanized, and found it to be the same. The chromed ones are 1/2 the price, so I will stick with those.

I cut down another bolt to 5.5" and U'd it also. This was a little harder than the 40D, but definately within my ability.

Next, I cut one down to 5". BIG DIFFERENCE! :ohmy At first I thought I wasn't going to get it, and it finally started to bend. I bent it about 10 degrees and got stuck. This is as far as I have been able to get on anything larger than the 40D polebarn nails. I regrouped and gave it another explosive effort and felt it begin to bend some more. It took me 3-4 minutes, but I finally U'd it also. :rock

This is definately at the top end of my current strength level. However, it is nice to find something more challenging than the 40D nails (which I am getting pretty good at), yet is still within my ability. I plan to begin working these into my bending routine.

I also did a full workout at the gym today. I am taking the day off from the sledgehammer. Yesterday I added an exercise to my sledgehammer work where I threw the 6lb sledgehammer back and forth between hands. I tried to hold it as low on the handle as possible (about 14") an still keep it levered at about a 30 degree angle. I did this about 30 times, and did not think much about it.

Later that night, my hands were VERY SORE! Especially the top of my hands. I wore mittens most of the night until I went to bed, and this helped a lot. Today they are mildly sore, but much better. This is a great exercise I plan to work in once or twice a week.

Here is today's combined bending:

1. 40D nail - warm-up

2. 6"x1/4" chrome carriage bolt

3. 6"x1/4" galvanized bolt

4. 5.5" chrome carriage bolt

5. 5" chrome carriage bolt

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• tmmicklabs

• bencrush

• AP

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work on the carriage bolt! Have you tried wearing the mittens through the night? It's a great way to speed recovery.

Thanks for the encouragement, Macronan.

The mittens I have now are the kind that fold back to reveal a fingerless glove. They have velcro on the top that catches on the blankets, and they are too tight on the fingers. Bottom line is I am looking for a new pair of mittens that are more comfortable, and then I will try them through the night. I agree they help speed recovery. They are almost like heating pads for your hands. :)

Keep grippin!

Chris

1/18/2004

My left wrist feels very weak today. It is very difficult to do the sledgehammer exercises left-handed without moving my body. I am going to raise my grip to the point where I can do the exercises properly (e.g., all wrist, no arm).

I reported this in the bending section, but I want to record it in my training log also. I bent my first 60D nail today. It was an easy 60D, namely the 60D polebarn nail.

I also bought a set of Weider Heavy Grippers. I was able to crank out about 20 reps followed by a 10 second hold with each hand. My COC Trainer should be here tomorrow, and I plan to use the Weider grippers to help me master the COC Trainer.

Here is today's routine.

Rotations (6lb sledge grasped at 12"):

1. 7 reps - Left hand

2. 8 reps - RH

3. 7 reps - LH

Forward lever (6lb sledge grasped at 10"):

1. 7 reps - LH

2. 9 reps - RH

3. 7 reps (at 9") - LH

Reverse Lever (6lb sledge grasped at 10"):

1. 12 reps - LH

2. 15 reps - RH

3. 13 reps - LH

Bending:

1. 7"x 3/16" CRS - Warmup

2. 40D polebarn

3. 60D polebarn

4. Two 40D polebarns - cooldown

1/19/2004

My COC Trainer arrived today! I ordered the book with it, and I am about half way through it. I did a no set close with my right hand, but could not do a second rep. I could not quite close it with my left. It looks like I have my work cut out for me. Once I finish reading the book, I will develop a training routine.

It is a holiday, and between chores around the house, and playing with my COC Trainer, I did not get any hammer-time today. I am going to the gym tonight, and I also got some good bending in, so today was not a total loss.

I also found some mittens that work better for me. I slept with them on last night, but the left one came off twice. If that becomes a repeat problem, I will have to figure something out (duct tape?).

Tmmicklabs and I have become training partners through email. He did some great bending today and challenged me to push myself. Here is today's bending:

1. Three 40D nails - Warmup

2. One 6" carriage bolt

3. One 5.5" carriage bolt

4. One 5" carriage bolt

5. Four 40D nails - cooldown

That is a total of 10 bends in 15-20 minutes, a new personal record.

I had a great weekend and broke several personal records. I attribute almost all of that to changes in my technique. After watching several inspirational video's showing major bends, I noticed how high they keep their hands, and how close they stay to the body. I had been keeping my hands about waist high, and after emulating the videos, I saw a marked improvement.

The second change was how I wrapped the nails. I am still working on this, but I tried several things that helped me. What a great obsession, er, I mean hobby.

Great Job Chris :rock

This guy is gonna be awesome in a few months.

His determination is very inspiring.

:rock

btw...I motivated Chris my snapping eight 40d polebarn nails in a row in 10 minutes yesterday.

lol

:laugh

Edited by tmmicklabs

1/20/2002

I managed to get a lot of training in today. I also got some good bending in. I finished with another 60D polebarn nail, only this time I U'd it in less than a minute. :rock

Here is today's routine.

Push-ups:

1. 15 reps

2. 15 reps

Forward Levers (using the 6lb sledge):

1. 10 reps at 9" - LH

2. 10 reps at 10" - RH

3. 5 reps at 9" - LH

4. 10 reps at 9" - LH

5. 10 reps at 10" - RH

6. 6 reps at 9: - LH

Reverse Levers (using the 6lb sledge):

1. 9 reps at 10.5" - LH

2. 14 reps at 10.5" - RH

3. 7 reps at 10.5" - LH

4. 12 reps at 10.5" - LH

5. 13 reps at 11" - RH

6. 10 reps at 10.5" - LH

Wrist Rotations (using the 6lb sledge at 12"):

1. 9 reps - LH

2. 9 reps - RH

3. 6 reps - LH

4. 6 reps - LH (overextending)

5. 6 reps - RH (overextending)

6. 7 reps - LH

Grippers:

1. 10 warmup reps with the Weider grippers followed by 10 second holds with the COC Trainer.

2. 20 reps with the Weider gripper

3. 5 negatives with the COC Trainer

4. 10 reps with the Weider gripper

5. 4 cheat closes with the COC Trainer

Bending:

1. Three 40D polebarn nails in sucession

2. One 40D polebarn nail

3. One 6"x1/4" carriage bolt

4. One 60D polebarn nail.

1/21/2004

I forced myself to take a day off from bending and gripping. I wrapped everything up and left it at home so I would not be tempted at work. Fortunately, by the time I got home from work, I had a severe headache, and did not feel like bending.

I did get some pretty good hammer-time in. I was able to add more reps and distance on the hammer today.

Here is today's workout.

Pushups:

1. 15 reps

2. 16 reps

Wrist Rotations (with the 6lb sledge):

1. 12 reps at 12" - LH

2. 12 reps at 12" - RH

3. 8 reps at 12" - LH

4. 5 reps at 12.5" - LH

5. 7 reps at 12.5" - RH

6. 5 reps at 12.5" - LH

1. 10 reps at 9" - LH

2. 12 reps at 10" - RH

3. 7 reps at 9" - LH

4. 6 reps at 10" - LH

5. 6 reps at 11" - RH

6. 3 reps at 10" - LH

1. 10 reps at 11" - LH

2. 12 reps at 11.5" - RH

3. 10 reps at 11" - LH

4. 9 reps at 11.5" - LH

5. 13 reps at 12" - RH

6. 9 reps at 11.5" - LH

Thanks for posting your log. This is great!

Thanks for the kind words, Rekx. I am just glad someone is actually reading it. :)

Keep grippin!

Chris

1/22/2004

I have made a lot of good progress over the last 3 weeks, but I think I am going to have to slow down some. Once I am warmed up, I can now bend the 60D polebarn nail in about 30 seconds. However, after 7 bends today, including a 60D polebarn, and a 6" carriage bolt, my wrists were very sore. I stopped bending just short of injuring myself, but not by much. I think my muscles have gained strength so fast, they are outpacing the progress in my tendons. I plan to try bending nothing greater than the 60D polebarn nail for at least a week. Hopefully, that will give my tendons a little time to catch up.

I am also going to try adding mineral supplements into my diet. With all the abuse I am putting my wrists and tendons through, it seems like a good idea to give my body what it needs to repair them.

Having said all of that, I had a really good training day. Here is today's routine.

Push-ups:

1. 15 reps

Wrist Rotations (Using the 6lb sledge grasped at 12.5"):

1. 6 reps - Left Hand

2. 7 reps - RH

3. 4 reps - LH

Forward Levers (6lb sledge):

1. 6 reps at 10" - LH

2. 6 reps at 11 - RH

3. 3 reps at 10" - LH

Reverse Levers (6lb sledge):

1. 9 reps at 12" - LH

2. 13 reps at 12.5" - RH

3. 8 reps at 12" - LH

Grippers:

1. 10 reps, each hand with the Weider grippers - Warmup

2. 10 singles with the CoC Trainer - Right Hand

3. 3 attempts with the CoC Trainer - Left Hand

4. 7 negatives with the CoC Trainer - Left Hand

Bending:

1. One 40D polebarn - morning

2. Two 40D polebarns - Warmup for lunchtime bending

3. One 6" carriage bolt - Lunch

4. One 60D polebarn nail - Lunch

5. Two 40D polebarn nails - Afternoon

I also worked out at the gym tonight. I am seeing progress in most areas. Over the last two days, I have either added reps to my sledgehammer work, or I have added distance. In my gym workouts, I am adding reps and weight. This is one of the reasons I am going to stay at my current level for bending. It would be a real shame to sustain an injury now.

1/23/2004

Even though my wrists hurt yesterday, they felt GREAT today! After a warm-up 40D polebarn nail, and a little hammer-time, I got down to some serious bending. I bent a 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt, then two 60D polebarn nails, and finally another 5.5" carriage bolt. Then I cooled down with another 40D. I felt like I could have kept going, but I decided to save a little for the evening. Today is the first day I have ever bent more than one 60D polebarn, and I ended up bending a total of three.

On a whim, I decided to give the 7" x 1/4" HRS a try. I have never budged this before, but I actually managed to kink it a degree or two tonight. Soon, my precious, soon....(gollum). :)

Anyway, here is today's training.

Push-ups:

1. 20 reps

2. 15 reps

Wrist Rotations (using the 6lb sledge at 12.5"):

1. 7 reps - LH

2. 7 reps - RH

3. 6 reps - LH

4. 6 reps - LH

5. 9 reps - RH

6. 5 reps - LH

1. 6 reps at 10" - LH

2. 5 reps at 11" - RH

3. 4 reps at 10" - LH

4. 10 low levers at 10.5" - LH

5. 10 low levers at 11" - RH

6. 5 low levers at 10.5" - LH

1. 7 reps at 12.5" - LH

2. 13 reps at 13" - RH

3. 5 reps at 12.5" - LH

Throws:

1. I threw the 6lb sledge hammer back and forth between my hands 50 times, grasping as low as possible (between 13-16").

Bending:

1. One 40D polebarn - morning

2. One 40D polebarn - warm-up for afternoon session

4. Two 60D polebarn nails :rock

5. One 5.5" carriage bolt

6. One 40D polebarn nail - cooldown

7. One 6" carriage bolt - warmup for evening session

8. Attemp at 7" x 1/4" HRS - Kinked it but could not bend it :blink

9. One 60D polebarn nail

Overall, a pretty good training day, and my wrists are not that sore. Of course, I should add that I have been having a little problem with my knee, and the doctor has me on a prescription anti-inflammatory/pain killer (naproxen sodium). That may be masking any normal pain I might feel. :whistel

1/24/2004

It was my birthday today! 35 years old. :D

My training partner, Ttmmicklabs, conspired with my wife to get me "Mastery of Hand Strength" from Ironmind. Thanks, Tmmicklabs! :rock

I did no grip work whatsoever today, until 11pm when I did a little bending. I bent three 40D polebarn nails, one 6" carriage bolt, two 5.5" carriage bolts, and three 60D polebarn nails. I also took another stab at the 7" x 1/4" HRS, and MAYBE put another degree of bend in it. I also managed to get in a workout at the gym.

1/25/2004

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Thomas.

Today was variety day. I did several different things just to experiment and shake things up a bit.

1. Finger walked the 6lb sledge the length of the handle. I tried to do this twice, but only made it 1/3 of the way the second time.

2. I bought a 50lb dumbbell and cut it into block weights. I deadlifted 25lb with both hands once. I barely broke them off the floor the second time. Looks like I will need to do more work with these. :blush

3. CoC trainer, 5 reps, right hand

4. CoC trainer, 3 reps, LH

5. CoC Trainer, 30 second hold, RH

6. CoC Trainer, 20 second hold, LH

7. CoC Trainer, 10 reps, RH

8. CoC Trainer, 3 reps, LH

9. CoC Trainer, 5 negatives, LH

Haiku:

A Man grows stronger,

It takes time and great effort.

Yield! Stuck pickle jars!

I just made a 25lb block weight also and it was pretty slippery. I was surprised how much chalk helped! A little chalk and I can do everything with it. Its a lot of fun to play with but boy was it a pain to cut.

LOL - Reading your Haiku, while looking at your avatar of Linus in his philosophic pose, was too funny! I could almost see him saying that as I was reading it. :D

I am glad to hear the chalk helped you. I am going to try to find some place that sells it. I meant to buy some from Ironmind when I was ordering my CoC #1 this morning, and then I got so excited about my #1 I forgot about the chalk. :blush

I cheated on cutting the ends off. I bought a long metal blade for my sawzall and had both ends off in less than 5 minutes. My right arm was numb for 15 minutes from the vibration, but I figured that was a fair trade. :tongue

1/26/2004

4 new PR's today.

1. Most 60D polebarns bent or snapped in one day - 4 (2 bent, 2 snapped)

2. Most bends of anything in one day - 17

3. First bend of two 7" x 3/16" HRS rods taped together (took me about 5 minutes)

4. First bend of an 8" x 1/4" hex head bolt (took me about 10 minutes, but felt like an hour)

I also put a larger kink in that 7" x 1/4" HRS. In order to do all this, I modified my bending form, yet again. In order to get a significant bend in all of these, I brought my slim-style form over my head to get more leverage. Once I had about a 45 degree bend in these, I was able to finish them off with my normal slim-style form, close to my chest, and under my chin.

Here are today's bends:

1. 40D polebarn

2. 6" x 1/4" carriage bolt

3. 60D polebarn

4. 60D polebarn

5. 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

6. 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

7. 40D polebarn

8. 60D polebarn

9. 60D polebarn

10. 6" x 1/4" carriage bolt

11. 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

12. 5.5" x 1/4" carriage bolt

13. 40D polebarn

14. 40D polebarn

15. 40D polebarn

16. Two 7" x 3/16" HRS taped together

17. 8" x 1/4" hex head bolt

You are doing awesome Chris.

The 1/4inch HRS will be calling you daddy very soon.

:rock

Edited by tmmicklabs

1/27/2004

I totally wiped myself out with yesterday's bending. I could barely bend a 40D nail today. In addition to bending, I have been experimenting with some grip work using a bank bag filled with heavy screws. I did quite a few "snatch" tosses back and forth, and between those, my work on the CoC trainer, and my introduction to block weights, my hands and forearms are shot today!

For fun, I tried to bend a 40D nail behind my back, and only got it about 30 degrees. I also almost pulled a muscle in my back. I quit just in time to prevent injury, but my back is still a little sore.

I am declaring today a rest and recovery day.

I did get my workout in at the gym, but all of the exercises were harder than usual. Hopefully, I will feel better tomorrow.

1/28/2004

I feel better today, but still not 100%. I think I totally underestimated the "snatch" passes with my bag weight. That exercise is a grip killer! Hopefully, tomorrow I can do a little more bending.

In the meantime, it felt good to get back to the hammer exercises. I saw improvement in all three exercises. My back still has a kink from trying to bend a nail behind my back, so push-ups were out for today.

Here is today's routine.

Forward Levers (using the 6lb sledge)

1. 9 reps at 10" - LH

2. 6 reps at 11" - RH

3. 4 reps at 10" - LH

4. 9 reps at 10" - LH

5. 8 reps at 11" - RH

6. 5 reps at 10" - LH

Reverse Levers (using the 6lb sledge)

1. 7 reps at 12.5" - LH

2. 12 reps at 13" - RH

3. 7 reps at 12.5" - LH

4. 9 reps at 12.5" - LH

5. 14 reps at 13" - RH

6. 10 reps at 12.5" - LH

Wrist Rotations (using the 6lb sledge at 12.5")

1. 10 reps - LH

2. 12 reps - RH

3. 8 reps - LH

4. 8 reps - LH

5. 15 reps - RH

6. 10 reps - LH

Bending

1. Three 40D polebarn nails

1/29/2004

I am almost recovered from my bending last weekend. I did a fair amount of bending today, and I felt better during my workout at the gym.

I might have found a way to keep the 60D polebarn nails from snapping. I cut several down to 5" which moved the middle of the nail above the rings in the lower part. When the nails snap, it is always in one of these rings. Today I managed to bend two of the 5" nails, and neither of them snapped. Plus, they are much harder, making them an even better transition towards the 1/4" HRS.

Bending and the gym are the only things I did today. Here is today's bending:

1. Seven 40D polebarn nails

2. One 6" carriage bolt

4. Two 60D polebarn nails - Cut to 5"

I also experimented with some plate pinching at the gym. I pinched 3 10's with both my right and left hand and deadlifted them 4 times. I should point out, however, the only plates my gym has are rubber coated, so I am sure they are easier to pinch than metal plates.

1/30/2003

After reading about other's experiences with hndu squats, I decided to give them a try today. OH MY GOD!! :whacked

They revealed that I am pathetically out of shape. I only managed to do 50 before my legs gave out. I also tried some hindu push-ups and got even worse results. I could only do 6 before pain in my back made me quit. It looks like I could benefit quite a bit from these exercises, so I am going to incorporate them into my routine.

Also, my #1 CoC came today. I came just short of closing it with my right hand, and I am about an inch short on my left hand. This is about where I was on my trainer a few weeks ago, and today on the trainer I did 15 reps with my right hand and 5 reps with my left hand.

Here is today's training routine.

Wrist rotations (using the 6lb sledge @ 13"):

1. 6 reps - LH

2. 9 reps - RH

1. 8 reps @ 10" - LH

2. 6 reps @ 11" - RH

3. 4 reps @ 10" - LH

1. 11 reps @ 12.5" - LH

2. 13 reps @ 13.5" - RH

3. 8 reps @ 12.5" - LH

Bending:

1. Three 40D polebarn nails

2. One 6" carriage bolt

3. One 60D polebarn nail cut down to 5"

1/31/2004

Today is my 1 month anniversary of gripping! :mosher

I started out with 40 hindu squats (because that was all I could do). :blush

I did some bending throughout the day, and toyed with my grippers. Then tonight I did some work with the block weights.

Here is today's training routine.

40 hindu squats

Bending:

1. One 40D polebarn nail

2. Two 6" carriage bolts

3. Three 60D polebarn nails cut to 5"

Grippers:

1. CoC trainer, 5 reps, RH

2. CoC trainer, 2 reps, LH

3. COC #1, 1 rep, RH

4. CoC #1, attempt, LH

5. Misc. holds and other experimentation throughout the day.

Block weights (25 lb weights, both hands):

1. Deadlift

2. Deadlift

3. Deadlift and hold 3 seconds

4. Deadlift and hold 5 seconds

5. Deadlift and hold 10 seconds

6. Deadlift and hold 10 seconds

7. Deadlift and hold 3 seconds

8. Deadlift

Overhand "snatch" passes with bag weight: 100