Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Thanks gotenmyoou! I don't think I can fairly evaluate my RBs until they are fully seasoned. They have a different feel than my other grippers, perhaps due to their weight. They hurt the palm of my hand if my set is the least bit off. Do you really think I

am close to getting the #3? My best attempt is about 1/2 inch away, and I thought that was a very long way from closing it. I was guessing that it will come with time when I least expect it. My interest in blobs has taken off; I am hoping for a Benderesque transfer of block weight strength to the grippers.

*Correction to my 1/25 gripper workout. My HG300 R attempt was closer to 1/2 inch. Also, I had my best attempt ever with the #2 with my L, it was less than a credit card away from closing.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Do you have any plate loaded grip machine or any gripper tougher than

#3? Cheat close and hold will help alot. When I first closed #3 I was able

ot keep it shut for 20 seconds. Thats mainly because I did heavy holds.

(Well my sweep is terrible compared to the close.)

Do you have any plate loaded grip machine or any gripper tougher than

#3? Cheat close and hold will help alot. When I first closed #3 I was able

ot keep it shut for 20 seconds. Thats mainly because I did heavy holds.

(Well my sweep is terrible compared to the close.)

gotenmyoou, I am not yet able to hold the #3 closed at all yet. I guess we have the opposite good/bad parts of our gripper abilities. My weak close makes the RBs really difficult for me. I don't think there is any gripper that I have to cheat close that I can hold shut yet. :blush It is amazing to me that you could hold the #3 closed that long when you were first closing the #3.

I just got the TTK2 & am looking to buy some used Olympic plates* for it this weekend; that is the closest thing to a grip machine that I have.

I see now I will need to focus more on my close. I have been trying to build up my last 2 fingers, but think I need to do timed holds, negatives, & possibly strap holds. I guess it makes sense my close is weak now that you have me thinking about it, I am good at blob pinching (wide) and lousy at plate pinching (narrow), which perhaps relate to sweeping & closing ability, respectively.

*I refuse to buy new "STANDARD" brand Olympic plates (this is an oxymoron: copyright PDA)...even though they are cheap...they somehow offend my aesthetic sensibilities. I long to hear the deep, sonorous rattle & rumble of the old manhole-cover-type York plates with the wide flanges.

Edited by odin

2/28/04

BW164

DL

225x15 (sickness is in last stages, but has moved to lungs, so couldn't breathe enought to reach 20 reps)

IM O-ring deadlifts

heaviest 225x1L 250X1R (may use cloth pad next time, this lift is painful on the fingers)

Wrist Curls

105X40 PR (I was shocked)

135x8

Blob Work

40x1 each hand

40 + 5 attached each hand

IM TTK2 thumb work

15x1 each hand (humbling, doesn't Kinney or Holle do reps or at least negatives with ~100 lbs.?) :blush

25x1 both hands together, 30x1, 35x0

IM 0-ring 1-finger lifts

25x1 w/ each finger

30x1 w/ each finger

35x1 w/ each finger

40x1 w/ each finger (left pinky difficult, first time doing this, so stopped pinky lifts here)

50x1 w/ 1st 3 fingers

60x1 w/ 1st 3 R fingers, & L middle (other 2 fingersx0)

IM new wide pinch block

60x1 2-hand lift

65x1 2-hand lift

70x1 2-hand lift

75x0

Edited by odin

You do 40 reps with 105pounds on wristcurls - is this correct?

B.

You do 40 reps with 105pounds on wristcurls - is this correct?

B.

Burki, My best effort before w/105 was 23 reps. I think I did so well because I'd been sick & missed my Tues workout, so I was fresh Saturday, another is that I'd been taking ibuprofen for over a week to help some irritation in my L wrist and there was no pain, and perhaps the most important reason is that I used to do even my heaviest wrist curls by rolling the bar all the way down to my fingertips, and then cock my wrist as high as possible at the top of the movement.

I recently read that this is bad, so I PM'd Joe Roark about the "correct" range of motion. I don't think he'll mind me quoting him, as it may prevent someone from getting injured:

It strikes me that the upper finished position needs more range than the lower- probably lowering the wrist slightly below parallel to the floor is all that is needed, then raising the bar as high toward perpendicular as possible- in my case not perpendicular.

I am told that the wrist when lowered excessively is in danger, so try below parallel then keep lowering a 1/4" more or so next workout until you find what works for you safely.

During this workout, I went below parallel as far as it felt natural, and went as high above parallel as possible. I don't know if I will equal or surpass 105x40 soon...or if it is like my 45 lb blob lift that I haven't been able to equal or surpass yet...two steps forward & one step back seems to be the way things often go. If my L wrist can stay close to 100%, I would like to wrist curl 200 this year.

Edited by odin

Wirstcurls with 200 - sounds impressive to me. I do them on monday (still feel the pump) - perhaps I will go for the same goal....!

B.

Blobs

40X1 each hand

45: about 15 attempts each hand, not much movement today, tore the skin at the base of my R thumb & also had that wonderful carpet-burn sensation that blob lifting seems to bring.

25+5 in platemates w/ last 2 fingersX1 (1st 2 fingers on side)

25+7.5 in platemates w/ last 2 fingersX1X1X1 (1st 2 fingers on side)

Grippers

#2x1 R

6 attempts w/RB210 R, closest was about 1/8th-1/4" The last 1/2 inch or so on the RBs is a real challenge.

#2 w/L, may have barely closed it once for an instant, but will not count it because I'm not sure. Did a couple attempts that were between credit card & paper-thin distance from closing, feel of the set is improving slightly. I always do a rather wide set with both hands.

ISG:

160x1 each hand (springs @ 1,10)

210x1 each hand (1,12), barely. The sandpaper I duct-taped to the handle started to roll around, making it much tougher. Perhaps I should super-glue it to the handle or maybe someone here has an idea?

TTK2:

(each hand) 10x1 15x0 12.5x1

(both hands together) 25x1 27.5x1 30x1 32.5x0

The last part of the negative portion of the TTK2 lift really hurts; even on a normal rep it feels like you have really loaded it up and done a traditional negative rep. I am guessing that something to do with the leverage is why this item is considered superior to Pony clamps, ISG, etc. for thumb work.

Plate pinch attemps 1 & 2 fingers

Extensor sand work

Shot rotations

Closed HG250 w/ R somehow after all this.

Edited by odin

I've wrapped a vinyl tape on both handles. This way I don't feel any pain

when gripping.

FYI..I've noticed that you could make microloads by placing the spring

between the tables(sorry if you already know).

3/2/04

BW 162

Chinups

BW+50x6

BW+75x2

BW+75x1

BW+50x5

BW+50x4

Dips

BW+75x3

BW+100x1

Wrist Curls

110x18 (wrist sore)

75x46

85x9

65x26

Reverse Wrist Curls

65x14

55x12

Plate Pinches (Negatives, hanging on for dear life for about a fraction of a second)

Several attempts w/ 35s, alternating hands.

Grippers:

Highlight: closed #2 w/ L hand for the first time.

TTK2

(each hand) 10x1

(each hand) 12.5x1

(each hand)15x0

(both hands) 25x1, 30x1, 35x0, 32.5

Sand grabs & extensions

I've wrapped a vinyl tape on both handles. This way I don't feel any pain

when gripping.

FYI..I've noticed that you could make microloads by placing the spring

between the tables(sorry if you already know).

Gotenmyoou, I think the ideal thing for me might be the adhesive sandpaper that is used for finishing sanders, because I am looking for a surface that is like the grippers or sharp and easy to grab. I've also considered using double-stick tape holding regular sandpaper, but am afraid it will come off too often and become a source of annoyance.

Thanks for the microloading tip. I haven't tried that yet. I thought there might be untoward consequences from putting the spring between the notches.

BTW, while my progress lately seems to have slowed down overall & even regressed in some areas, my hands are looking stronger. I hope that translates into some better strength gains soon. For the grippers, I think I may increase my negative reps, do some overcrushes, and possibly micro-reps with the HG250/#2 to help me increase my weak close. I think I may take some of my blob work outside so it is ok if I drop the weight on the ground doing negatives.

I learned something new today from Roark. I am using the "French grip" for deadlifts. :cool

Edited by odin

TTK2*

1handed, L&R

10x3, 12.5x3, 15.1, 16.25x0

TTK2

2handed

20x3, 25x3

Finished by doing drop sets, alternating hands & dropping weight each time, used negative pressure with off-hand on decent.

Tried TTK2 as an experimental thumb pre-exhaust for:

Blobs

40x1 R, 40x0 L (did get multiple 1-3 inch lifts)

*When I do the TTK2, I usually grasp the bottom handle with all of my fingers, because I think that grip will best generalize to blobs, grippers, etc. My hand feels unbalanced & vulnerable when I've tried using only my index finger on the bottom.

3/4/04

BW 164

DB Wrist Curls: 50x7, 55x7, 60x7, 65x5, 70x3, 75x3, 80x3, 85x1

Wrist Curls: 110x27 + Reverse Wrist Curls: 65x14 + Wrist Curls: 65x14

Grippers:

R#2x1

R#3 almost an inch :blush

R RB240N 1/4 inch,

R RB210 1/2",

#2 closed & squeezed for 5 seconds

HG250 closed & squeezed for 2 seconds

L#2 credit card away, 1/8", 1/8", 1/8" 1/16", 1/8, 1/4

TTK2 both hands

25x3

30x1

35x0 (3/4 of a full rep)

33.75x1

Blobs

R 40x1, 45x1 :rock (finally got it again!) 47.5x0 (1/16th of an inch...maybe)

L 40, almost a full deadlift on 1 rep, 1 almost deadlift & drop, 1 easy full deadlift after several attempts (even held it for about 2 seconds @ lockout), several 1-2 inch lifts

25 lb blob tosses, catching on descent w/ pinch grip.

ISG thumb work

sand grabs & extensions

Edited by odin

Did you tried more reps on the TTK? You'll get a nice feeling in the hand. Perhaps that's not the best way to gain strenght but it's fun! In the moment I do 10 - 15 reps with 8,5kg to avoid injury. I always fear thumb injuries!

B.

Odin

As a part of my past laziness, I lent some thought to extensor training with sand (of course I had to make it difficult and was planning to build a mini sand box :blush ). I believe that this will help to develop my overall hand strength .... is this what you are finding with your hand strength?

BTW .... I am quite impressed with some of the weights you are using in your movements (your DB wrist curls dwarfs mine!) and by the fact that you can close a heavier gripper midway through your training.

I am a bit behind in strength and endurance, and your log gives me some indication as to what others are doing and is a motivational tool for me.

Thanks

CJ

Did you tried more reps on the TTK? You'll get a nice feeling in the hand. Perhaps that's not the best way to gain strenght but it's fun! In the moment I do 10 - 15 reps with 8,5kg to avoid injury. I always fear thumb injuries!

B.

Burki, I've tried it after I'm done with my "heavy" sets, it does feel pretty good. BTW, when I say "both hands" re: the TTK2, I mean both hands on it at the same time. Are the 8.5 KG lifts you referred to done w/ 1 or 2 hands at a time? If you can do 8.5 KG w/ 1 hand for all those reps, you are way ahead of me. :rock

cjcocn, I don't know if the extensor training is doing anything or not, I'm mostly doing it with the thought of injury prevention. I have to keep the sand in a bucket with a lid, or else my cat would end up using it.

Thanks for the compliments, I haven't tried DB curls anywhere near that heavy before. It was done out of necessity, all of the Olympic bars were in use at the gym. I just kept moving up 5 pounds a set. I think someone on the board uses 100 DBs for sets of 20 (sixgun?), so I still have room for improvement.

Next time I try DB curls I'll do lower reps with the lighter weights to see how much I can do if I don't fatigue myself first. One pleasant surprise about the DB wrist curls was that it seemed like the wrist itself was under less strain because you can angle it in a way that feels better.

My gripper work has actually regressed w/ my R hand lately, but my L is slowly improving. Perhaps I am wearing myself out with two much blob work, but as long as I feel like my overall hand strength is improving, I can live with that. I think I might break down and hacksaw my 100 York this weekend, so i can start doing some negatives with "the Blob" (probably simply dropping it at first, actually).

I'm glad you like my log and appreciate the feedback.

Odin,

One of my favourite discussions on grip training is how my hands take turns being the stronger in exercises. It is a really weird phenom that I think untrained individuals don't get to experience unless they injure their dominant hand. Currently my left hand is stronger in the grippers despite the springs winding favouring a right hand close.

Jon@han

Odin,

One of my favourite discussions on grip training is how my hands take turns being the stronger in exercises. It is a really weird phenom that I think untrained individuals don't get to experience unless they injure their dominant hand. Currently my left hand is stronger in the grippers despite the springs winding favouring a right hand close.

Jon@han

Jonathan, yes, it is weird, isn't it? I attributed it to playing around too much w/ inbetween grippers & neglecting my #3, but some of it may be a natural phenomenon that you are more familiar with due to your much greater gripping experience.

My hands are the sorest they've ever been today. I think it is due to catching the 25 lb. blob multiple times with my palm down. I'm glad I limited myself to what I did, because just straightening out my hands makes them cramp up. The only other thing it could be from is rolling the bar down to my fingertips doing DB wrist curls, old habits die hard.

BTW, in my previous post I always meant DB wrist curls, even when I wrote DB curls.

TTK2 each hand

10x3

12.5x3

15x1

17.5x1 PR

20x0

TTK2 both hands together

25x3

30x1

35x1 PR

37.5x0 (3/4 rep) x0 (1/4 rep)

Plate Pinches:

25'sx1

35x1 R PR, 35x1 L (dropped during descent)

It took several efforts to do the above. ***

I ripped the callus at the base of my L thumb almost completely off (it is throbbing like crazy now). I put a bandaid on it, wrapped a couple of layers of athletic tape over it for reinforcement, and then went on to:

Blobs:

25x1

40x1 R, 40x0 L

45x1 R, 40x0 L

47.5x 0R, 40x0 L several attempts & partial/forced reps until no longer productive

*** Earlier today, I swallowed my pride & bought some used "Standard" brand Olympic plates from the local York dealer. They had a set of black plates (which I like MUCH better than their gray ones), along with a nearly new chrome barbell with a $105 price tag. I made an offer to buy the set, but only if I could swap the chrome barbell for an ancient, rusty, power bar that spun nicely. He said it was unusual for anyone nowadays to want to make such a swap; he thought it might be an old Ivanko, but wasn't sure. I also said I didn't want the lousy spring collars that came with it, and he threw in 2 of the old-fashioned screw-on colars that weigh about 5 lbs each. He also sold me a weight tree for $30.

The good news is that, unlike the UAB gym, the plates seem to match up nicely together. Also, the surface is not slippery, and the edges are very sharp, actually too sharp. I'm looking forward to cleaning the bar, guess I'll need some steel wool & Naval Jelly?

Edited by odin

Odin

Naval jelly will take off most of what's on the bar. If you are not concerned about how it looks after, then using naval jelly is fine.

If you want to keep whatever finish is on there, you can try applying a bit of oil and rubbing out the rust with some 000 or 0000 (ie. fine or superfine) steel wool.

I have done the oil/steel wool thing with firearms and it works quite well. I only use the naval jelly when I am reblueing as it takes off the blueing as well (so may take off your paint too and leave an uglier and unprotected bar).

In short:

Repainting bar? = naval jelly and steel wool

Simple clean up = oil on rust spots and steel wool

Hope this helps.

CJ

Thanks CJ, that saves me a lot of time, I will try the oil & steel wool. I don't know if the bar has any paint on it though, it looks like bare metal & rust to me.

Odin,

was that 2x35's you pinched for your PR if so congrats quite a jump from 2x25's isn't it!

Jon@han

Thanks Jonathan, yes it was quite a jump for me, the better matched plates made a huge difference; I've never even lifted two 25's with any weight attached before. I've had a difficult time with 2 25's using the mismatched, slippery plates at the gym. It's about time my plate pinching caught up some with my blob pinching, so I'm VERY happy even though most of the base of my L thumb is torn off!

2 35's!!!!!!! wow odin? how long you hold it up for? :rock

Thanks Dannyboy, I held them just about a second after completing a full deadlift w/ R, and I dropped it on the way down from a full DL w/ my L. I was shocked, believe me! Even though the finish on those plates made it less difficult than others I've tried, I feel like I am at a pretty good place in my training now. I did almost exclusively grippers before I started this log, but now have pinched 2 35's with each hand as well as lifted the 45 lb York blob on a few different occasions with my R, and the 40 w/ my L. I have a long way to go, but at least I am not lagging badly in any area that I've worked on anymore.