Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Very impressive Block work!!! 

I'm curious how you use the ISG for thumb work can you elaborate a bit more?

Jon@han

Jonathan, thanks for encouraging me on the block weights. I believe that was only my 3rd workout with the 45 lb old-style York Blob. I am going to try it again early this week. Also, I have now sawed my 95 lb old-style York into 2 blobs, and will try it if I can duplicate my 45 deadlift again soon.

I don't have a set routine with the ISG like you seem to. I use it once in a while as a finisher after I'm tired, both the "normal" way, and for my thumbs. I enjoy shutting it with 2 hands at a very hard setting, then releasing one hand and doing a negative.

For my thumbs, I also like closing it with 2 thumbs and releasing one for a negative. I start with my thumbs more toward the middle, and work my way out to the end as they get tired. I guess it is just a change-of-pace from Pony clamps.

I think I'm going to tape some sandpaper to it, because it is so smooth, and the athletic tape doesn't feel right. My skin must be naturally tough, because even the grippers don't feel sharp enough for my taste sometimes.

Edited by odin

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Saturday 2/7

BW 163

Deadlift* 215x20

1-hand deadlift (straddled bar) 185x1 L, missed 205; 205x1 R, missed 235

Deadlift lockouts*: just above kneecaps 315x6, kept moving up one hole on power rack, eventually did 425X1 for a about a 1-2 inch lockout.

I did a bunch of heavy shrugs as well.

Reverse wrist curls 95x4

Wrist curls 115x6 (still babying L wrist)

Finished workout with a barrage of plate levering using individual fingers (both flexors & extensor styles), 1&2 finger plate pinches, & bench towel rollups (felt like a wrist roller).

My wrists and forearms have deep soreness today, so I rested.

*I always use the double-overhand grip on deadlifts; I never use straps (of course) or an over-under grip. During my workout, I saw a fellow who was muscular and much bigger than me doing shrugs with BOTH an over-under grip AND straps...with 115 lbs.

Edited by odin

2/10

Chinups BW+50x5

BW+60x2

BW+70x1 + 5 negatives

BW+50x3

BW+50x2

BW+50x2 + 5 negatives

Dips BW+50x10

Reverse wrist curls 95x5

Wrist curls 115x6 (hurts wrist still), did 95x15 w/ no pain

Deadifted 45 lb old-style York again with R (barely hung on to it when lowering), couldn't do 40 old-style York w/L. I only did a couple of sets, sat down in the recliner, my cat jumped up in my lap & I fell asleep...one of the hazards of doing block weights at home...may do another blob workout tonight along w/ grippers.

Edited by odin

Nice work on the blockweights. They are mucho fun!

Thanks macronan! You are still ahead of me, I see some heavy attempts in your log.

2/11

Warmed up with 25 lb blob, then went right into 47.5 old-style York blob***. I made several attempts, but couldn't break it off the floor. Finally, I did some cheats, helping on the thumb side w/ my L fingers only as much as necessary to raise & lower the weight.

With my L hand, I went right to the 45 after warmup, best attempt was about 1/2 inch off the ground, finished with cheats.

This was the first time my skin has been bothered at all by gripping. The web between my thumbs and index fingers felt like they had carpet burns from all my blob attempts.

I did a few gripper attempts, nothing new to report. I am more interested in the blobs lately. As macronan stated "They are mucho fun!"

I finished off the workout with pony clamp pinches & shotput rotations.

***I will simply say "blob" in the future, because I am only working on the old-style York blobs at this time.

I have 25's, 40's, 45's, 47.5s & 50's (THE BLOB, I haven't hacksawed it yet, am waiting to lift the 47.5 before I "reward" myself by sawing it). My 47.5 is the most off in weight so far, one end is 49 lb & the other is 49.5, which I am rather happy about...better too heavy than too light.

Edited by odin

2/12

Deadlift 220x20

Partial deadlifts

Reverse curl 60+ez-curl barx5, 70x2

47.5 blob, lifted about 1/4" with R after many attempts, then did several cheat sets

40 blob, broke off ground several times, L wrist too sore

sand extensor work

5 negatives each hand with ISG at 12,8.

pony clamp thumb work

Edited by odin

2/13

Did some random block weight negatives. Did a close with my R the ISG at 12 & 4; it was full less a layer of tape. Did about 5 negatives with each hand at the hardest setting. Did some work with grippers, almost shut the #2 with my L; I think it will come if my set improves. Did some thumb work with the ISG & pony clamp.

2/14

BW 164

Deadlifts 225x20, last 2 were a little shaky, will use the same weight next Saturday.

Rolling Thunder, still doing less than my first 2 times using it, best today was 155 R & 135 L. Did some forced reps/negatives by using a finger to help lift it. Maybe the blob work is wearing me out.

Coin bag carry 33.5 in each hand for 1/4 mile without setting them down at all, I was happy. I'd walked a mile and 1/2 with the 75 lb. weight vest immediately before, maybe that helped.

Wrist curl 100x15

Reverse wrist curl 95x6 + 6 forced reps/ negatives

Afterwards, I went to get change for the Coke machine in the store, and I kept dropping the change! My training partner had to help me, guess I really fried my grip.

PM:

Blob work:

Did 40 lb full deadlift w/L & several cheats & negatives w/ 7 and 1/2 lbs attached.

Did several cheats & negatives with R w/47.5 & 7 and 1/2 lbs attached. Couldn't budge it today without weights attached, probably due to session this AM.

I also deadlifted the 25 lb blob with a couple fingers at a time. I can lift it with my index finger & thumb of either hand, if my middle finger touches the outside of the index finger.*

1 close & hold with #2 R, weak #2 effort w/ L.

ISG removd tape, duct taped sandpaper. Best efforts 12, 3 R & 12, 1 L. Did several negatives using 12, 8.

Finished with shot rotations & sand work.

***I am trying to figure out what to do with my other fingers when using less than my full hand, especially with 1-finger attempts. With 2-finger lifts, I can curl my unused fingers under and get them out of the way. However, with 1-finger attempts, if I put my other fingers on the inner part of the blob, it seems like cheating. If I put a finger over the top of another, it is also a suspect lift. Unfortunately, any other way of negating the other fingers is very awkward.

Edited by odin

I've been taking Motrin for the last few days for my L wrist, felt no pain tonight, but it is still weaker than it was.

Wrist curls 100x20, 115x6, 135x3, 155x3, 175x2 reps to parallel only (I'm counting these as partials because I'm guessing that you'd have to at least break parallel for it to be a full rep.?) 135x5x4, 95x10

Does anyone know what constitues a full rep in the wrist curl? At the finish of the lift, do your knuckles need to be pointing towards the ceiling, just above parallel, or parallel?

Reverse wrist curls 95x5, 75x6

Walked 90 minutes w/ 50 lb vest, took a hot bath, then:

Blob work:

Right:

40 lb Blob went up fairly easily w/R. The 47.5 still feels like a greased pig, I barely broke it off the ground a few times, but more often than not my hand just slips off with the blob glued to the floor. It is maddening! Did forced reps/negatives with 47.5 blob + 7.5. Next, I deadlifted the 25 & then the 40 lb blob with them lying on their side. Did a sideways lift of the 25 blob with ring finger & thumb (got the idea to try sideways blob lifts from Bender's site & posts about Wade) & various other 1-2 finger lifts w/ the 25.

Left:

I struggled w/L, but got the 40 pound blob up. It seemed to help to put my fingers tightly together and think of my hand as one solid unit, willing the weight upward. I broke the 45 blob off the floor about an inch. Did forced reps/negatives with 45 blob +7.5. Next, I deadlifted the 25 & then the 40 lb blob (1 finger assist on thumb side) with them lying on their side.

Did a squeeze of the #2; easy close ®, L was awful. Finished with shot rotations.

Odin,

Your progress is awesome keep it up!!! Can't help you with your finger lifts with the block weights as I haven't done many attempts that way. Be nice if some of the blob masters could chime in here.

Jon@han

awsome odin...thanks for posting!

Here's my opinion on the one finger blob attempts. I think the best thing to do is to curl the fingers under the palm, but laying the unused fingers on top of the blob is not a suspect lift. Tho' they may assist somewhat, the majority of the work is done by the finger opposing the thumb.

Clear as mud? It is hard to describe hand positioning...

Explanation made sense Macronan thanks for inputing. Holding the fingers out and away from the blob would take some major cooridination, whereas your technique would be more of a natural feel to it.

Jon@han

Thanks everyone! I will post my less-than-all-fingers lifts & note if I curled my fingers under or put them on the side. I will also be doing more of the blob-on-its-side lifts. I am consumed with lifting the 47.5, it is really annoying me.

I am doing minimal gripper work for the time being, but will hit them hard again as the mood strikes me, this is supposed to be a fun hobby after all. I don't want to take it too seriously and get stale or burnt out. I must admit that I have been a bit of a grip dilettante so far, but I do want to build my overall hand strength by doing a variety of exercises. I am guessing that I will become more specialized or even monomaniacal when I am closer to doing something especially notable.

I PM'd Roark about my wrist curl ROM question.

Edited by odin

2/17

Chinups BW+50x5, BW+75x1, BW+50x4x4x4

Dips BW+90x2

Wrist curls 100x6 (sore from yesterdy, took it easy)

Reverse wrist curls 75x6

Gripper workout:

about a dozen attempts with each hand using various grippers, including about 6 negatives.

Shotput rotations

Awesome block weight training!!

I wish if I had the ability to lift to lift 45lb like nothing.

BTW..where's your gungnir?

The 40 blob is pretty easy for me, but the 45 is still very hard.

That darn Loki hid my gungnir again! Thanks for noticing. :rock

Edited by odin

1/20/04

Wrist Curls 45x12, 75x6, 105x6, 135x6, 165x1 (L wrist hurting, so I decided to go light), 105x23x21, 75x30x23x10, 55x30, 55x20 (no pain after 165 single)

Reverse Wrist Curls 75x6, 95x8 (somewhat sloppy) 105x1, 55x15, 55x12

Also did two supersets w/55 lbs, combining reverse wrist curls, crist curls, and reverse curls. Muscles between pinky & ring finger started cramping up.

Rolling Thunder: Did negatives with 165, as my grip was already fried.

Also did many 1&2 finger plate pinches (including rowing, swinging, and high pulls), plate curls, & plate wrist curls, as people in the gym watched with amusement. I was surprised I could almost do a plate curl with 25 after all this, my wrist was only slightly bent.

Blobs: Did many 1&2 finger lifts with the 25. I can easily lift the 25 with my middle finger & thumb, if my index finger is on the side. It starts to slip as soon as I lift the index finger.

Shot rotations: Did a few with 2 eight pounders & many with two six pounders, until I was very tired. Also threw the eight pounders up in the air and caught them with hands pronated many times, focused on catching them with first two and last two fingers also.

Did contrast bath, dexterity balls, & ordered some US Army Arctic mittens!

Saturday 1/21

Deadlift 225x15 No strength at all, so I didn't push myself past the point where my form was breaking

Wrist Curls: Did warmup, L wrist hurt, so didn't do any working sets

Rolling Thunder: Did triples up to 115 L & 135 R, then did 3 negatives w/155

Felt stale today, so did no more grip. I did some extra walking with the weighted vest this week (90 minutes with 50 lb, 60 min w/ 50, & 40 min w/75), which probably took away from my strength. I have asthma, and need to have some type of aerobic activity, but probably overdid it.

Sunday 1/22

Blob Workout:

40 pounder felt easy w/ R, pretty easy deadlift w/ L also. I did this at the beginning & end of my workout.

45 pound blob: Strangely, couldn't deadlift w/ R, but improved with L. I did several sets, and was able to break it 3-6 inches off the floor with my best efforts with each hand.

Started warming up w/ grippers & felt unusually weak, so I will wait a day or two. I may have to take 3-4 days off from direct grip & forearm work if my intensity doesn't return. I will probably do nothing W-T-F unless I feel stronger tonight.

I even watched Clay's videos...they were inspiring & helped me do better than I would have...but something intangible is lacking right now. I won't elaborate because I don't want to dwell on it unless I need more introspection to overcome it. I need to stop getting down on myself; it is not reasonable to count on getting PRs every single workout.

When I have down days like this, it sometimes helps if I go back and re-read some of my early log entries. The last time I did this, I was amazed at where I started, and how limited my strength was then. I am not exactly Hercules now, but I am proud of the progress I have made, and re-reading these entries reinforced that.

Your log shows the same great results. You have come a long way. Shake it off, get some rest, and come back to it when you are stronger. :D

It sounds to me like you need a little more rest. Maybe you haven't been sleeping well, eating well, or are stressed at work. All of these can greatly increase recovery time. Also, I don't know how long you've been working out, but it seems that the guys who've been working out for a while are able to recover more quickly. On Saturday, I met up with BulletTooth, and what we did was so brutal that it'll be Wed. or Thurs. before I touch any of my grip toys. BulletTooth on the other hand, resumed his training this morning. Remember, your hands aren't going to get any weaker if you rest them for a few days.

we all have ''bad'' days odin, dont be discouraged. its hard when you have personal records for a long period then all of a sudden you dont get one in a workout and you feel like quitting. keep at it buddy :D

chrisof4, ianders1, and dannyboy, thank you so much for your advice, encouragement & kind words.

It turned out that I was feeling bad because I was coming down with a nasty sinus infection. I took a couple days off. I still feel lousy, but decided to do grip work anyway, because I got some new grippers in the mail.

1/25

Gripper workout highlights:

-Closed my new PDA243 w/ L & ground handles

-Closed my new PDA262 w/ R

-Closed my new HG 250 w/R

-Was about a 1/4 inch away on attempts with HG300

-Was about a 1/4-1/8 inch away on my RB210

-Was about a 1/8 inch away on my RB240N

Those RB grippers sure have a tough close to them! They have a stiff, unforgiving feel and really highlight the weakness of my close. They may need a lot more seasoning before I can truly rate their difficulty. For some reason my narrow RB240 feels the same or maybe even a bit easier than my regular RB210.

The PDAs feel as smooth as silk all the way through & the HGs are a very pleasant surprise, somewhat similar in feel to the PDAs.

Still feel sick, but perhaps not lifting weights on Tuesday has helped these last 2 grip workouts.

1/26

Blobs

-Lifted 40 blob w/ each hand

-45 blob was uncooperative, broke it 1-6 inches off the ground a few times w/R & 1-2 inches w/ L.

-Added 7.5 lbs to 45 blob and did 3 forced reps & negatives by helping with other hand.

-Lifted the 40 Blob across the face with each hand.

-Lifted the 45 blob across the face with each hand w/ index finger of off-hand stabilizing thumb side. Almost tore off the skin of my thumbs trying to lift it without assistance.

-Lifted the 25 pound blob with thumb & index finger w/ each hand (fingers curled under, the hard way).

-Lifted the 25 pound blob with thumb & middle finger w/ each hand (fingers curled under, the hard way).

-Lifted the 25 pound blob with thumb & middle finger w each hand across the face (fingers curled under, the hard way).

-Lifted the 25 pound blob with thumb & ring finger w R hand across the face (fingers curled under, the hard way), almost did w/ left, but too sharp of a pain in tendons where the forearm meets the hand. Ouch!

I've done some of the above 1-finger lifts before, but haven't taken the time to write them down until now.

-Sand extensor work & shot rotations to finish

Edited by odin