Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Sunday 1/25

Took out my six-pound sledge and pounded dirt for about 10 minutes. Also did various types of swings, like softball, golf, etc. Afterwards, I rotated the shots, alternating hands until I could barely do it anymore. This is starting to be one of my very favorite exercises, I really find it challenging & rewarding.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

1/26/04

BW 163

I wish I'd taken a "before" picture of my hands. Sometimes, I look at the back of my hands and can't believe how they've changed, especially between my thumbs and index fingers.

Gripper workout

#3 is feeling like it is starting to "give" a little more. I don't know exactly how far I am away from closing it, but am confident I will get it someday. I noticed that my thumb is in a bad position on my L hand as I try to close the #2; It doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I did 3 attempts with each hand. Did shot rotation (added duct tape the other day) & atempted pony clamp closes with thumbs to finish up.

Edited by odin

wow odin you seem to be coming along really well. Got the 40lbs york blob and youve only been training grip what a couple months? I also notice as i am progressing on the block weights that my hand is growing. In particular the veins around the back of my hand and the thickness of my index and middle finger, and even the muscles in btw my knuckles. Keep up the good work.

wow odin you seem to be coming along really well. Got the 40lbs york blob and youve only been training grip what a couple months? I also notice as i am progressing on the block weights that my hand is growing. In particular the veins around the back of my hand and the thickness of my index and middle finger, and even the muscles in btw my knuckles. Keep up the good work.

Thanks mANVIL. I also noticed the muscle growth between my tendons on the back of my hand, and even the pinky side of my hand is getting wider...and veins popping outall around my thumbs. My 41 lb blob is old and has a rough texture, so perhaps I shouldn't get too excited yet. I can barely pinch 2 of the 25 lb. "Standard Barbell" brand of plates they have at the gym, they are slippery and I can't imagine doing 2 35s for quite a while.

1/27

Pullups BW +50 5-4-4-3-3-3-2 ALso did a few negatives with Cody providing additional downward resistance by pulling down.

Wrist curls 115x4 Ouch! Felt pain in both wrists close to my hand on pinky/ulna side; I think I've been going too crazy on the shot rotations, but they are so much fun and hurt so good. It feels like irritation/overuse than an injury, so I'll try to back off for a day or 2 from the shots.

Reverse wrist curls 85x5, these didn't hurt at all.

way to go odin! very motivational!

1/27 PM

Thanks Rekx! I enjoyed your log as well.

Coin bag carry: used 32 and 1/4 lbs in each bag, carried a bag in each hand. I set the bags down when they started slipping and walked around a 1/4 mile track before picking up the bags again. I carried the bags 1/8 mile twice, and 1/16 mile 4 times (1/4 mile between carries). I carried the bags a total of 1/2 mile, if you combine my 6 carries. My forearms felt like they were on fire on the little finger side, it is even hard to type this an hour after I finished.

My inspiration for trying this was the 64 yo iceman in MOHS who carried a 32 lb coin bag for one mile without setting it down at all. It looks like I have a ways to go if I am going to approach that feat.

Edited by odin

Did 41 lb blob deadlift +5 lb R

Did 41 lb blob deadlift +2.5 lb L

Tried 52 lb hex, couldn't budge it at all.

Tonight was strange, because it took several attempts to make these weights, and I even had to try lighter weights more than once. I could lift a weight I'd previously failed at after resting. It took me about an hour, with several sets, resting 5-10 minutes in between, to lift the above weights. I did have trouble setting them down nicely, and sometimes my elbow would be bent at the top.

I haven't been using the grippers much; about once every day or 2 I'll do a rep to make sure I haven't lost anything. I'm expecting to get my RB grippers tomorrow or Saturday, and know I will probably go crazy on them. I did manage a 2-finger close & brief hold with my #1 the other day. I don't know how Strongman can do the 1-finger close on the #2, because I am really far away with the #1 (1-finger close).

Edited by odin

I always lift with a little bend in my elbows - without it aggravates my tendinitis a little. I don't think this qualifies as cheating though since it doesn't seem to aid performance. BTW what is a grok? whatever it is, a 41lb blob + 5 must be getting close...

AP, thanks for the kind words. My blobs are old & rough, so I don't know if my lifts are valid or not. I haven't seen enough old Yorks to know.

"Grok" is from a book I read as a child:

Word of the Day for Thursday July 15, 1999

grok \GRAWK\, verb:

1. To understand, especially in a profound and intimate way. Slang.

"If you want to grok the language, get your mitts on the new Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang."

-- San Jose Mercury News, July 22, 1994

"For those who don't quite grok the Web, it can be an intimidating challenge."

-- New York Times, June 1, 1997.

The slang word grok was coined by Robert A. Heinlein in the science fiction novel "Stranger in a Strange Land", where it is a Martian word meaning literally "to drink" and metaphorically "to be one with". It was adopted into the vocabulary of 1960's youth and hackish jargon, whence it has become a part of net culture. http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/1999/07/15.html

Saturday AM 1/31

BW 162

Deadlifts 205x21 (back felt good for the first time in a couple of months).

RT: 135x1, 155x0 L, 155x1, 175x0 R Have lost confidence on this lift, may put it aside for a few weeks as I feel that it is more of a mental block than anything.

1-handed deadlifts, straddle-style using oly bar 175x1 L, 225x1 R

...was really surprised, this was my 2nd time doing these...I kept adding 10 lbs and doing singles after 175. I didn't miss a single lift with either hand, just stopped when it felt a little shaky on the descent (grip started slipping with L, no problem w/ R). Balance was much improved over last week.

wrist curls 95x4 (couldn't do due to pain on little finger side of L wrist, feels like "bone pain").

reverse wrist curls 85x3, 95x3 only to parallel (no pain)

Ate lunch, bought a used 50 lb york blob-bell for 25 lb tosses, and a 95 pounder, hopefully will be able to use later this year. I'm still searching for the elusive 100 pound York, even though I am a long ways from even trying it.

Couldn't resist the blobs. Did 41 L & a "fingers on the thumb side" cheat with an additional 5 attached. This also hurts a little bit in my L wrist. Did 41 + 5 R again, after a few tries. Couldn't do 41 + 6.25, got it about halfway up on my 3rd attempt, before it started slipping. Streching my hand as far as possible and shoving it down hard right before lifting seems to help.

I will do grippers tonight if I feel like it. My RB240 (N) arrived yesterday, but my 210 and 300 haven't.

Edited by odin

I took advantage of some nice weather this afternoon & swung my 8 lb sledge for 12 minutes, pounding soft dirt/clay, alternating sides and doing some baseball swings. Didn't feel any pain in L wrist.

Edited by odin

When you do pinch work like on plates and on the yorks do you use chalk?? Also great work man your log is very descriptive it's great

Thanks for the encouragement Matt, I'm glad you like my log.

I use plenty of chalk for block weights. The university gym I work out at doesn't allow chalk :angry:, so I don't use chalk for plate pinches. I have been stuck at 2 25's, and some days can't do that much. I hope to try chalk at some point.

2/1/04

BW 162

I did a gripper & block weight workout during the SB. The #2 is feeling easier with the R, but I'm still in about the same place w/ the #3. I tried my narrow RB 240 for the first time, and it was easier than my #3, but I couldn't close it. It has a different feel, and it will take some time to get used to how it sits in my hand, and it is very heavy. I did my best ever with my L on the #2 by moving my pinky almost completely off the handle, which also seemed to help my thumb position. I think I will get it in a month or 2.

I couldn't wait anymore to blobify my 90 pound York, so I hacksawed it into two 46 lb blobs. My hands were tired, but I decided to try it anyway. My 40 lb blob went up very easily with the R, and pretty good L. I tried the 45 about ten times with each hand, but the best I did was about an inch with my R.

Finally, I cheated by putting holding the thumb side w/ a finger or 2 and was able to do a few cheats and partial negatives. I love the way the 45 blob feels, and my hands should be pretty strong by the time I can lift it. It is frustrating because I can't do it now, but also fun because I know I will be able to do it eventually. I still have an old 95 York to saw, so I will have another weight to master before I can attempt the blob.

Awsome. I can't wait to get a York.

2/3/04

Chinups BW+50X5x4x3x3x3x2

Reverse wrist curls 95x5

Reverse DB wrist curls 35x6

*Noticed when I was doing heavy shrugs that L wrist hurts if I hold the bar supinated (similar pain as regular wrist curls & L blob attempts), but not pronated (no pain, feels like reverse wrist curls). I wonder if I have some type "ulnar tunnel syndrome"...hope it isn't a tiny stress fracture. It doesn't hurt at all except under very heavy load/and or movement with L palm facing up.

41 lb blob deadlifted easily with R, more difficult L.

46 L, stuck on floor, best effort w/ R went up about 8 inches (sorry Jonathan). Next, I added 5 lbs to 46 blob & did a few forced reps, using pressure with my other 5 fingers on the thumb side just enough to raise & lower the weight.

I feel pretty good about my effort this morning, because I am usually much stronger in the late afternoon or evening.

Edited by odin

I finally got my 100 lb blob-style Yorks. I really wanted to have at least one before they all disappeared, so I bought 2 new hex Yorks (couldn't find used here). Next, I traded them with UAB's weight room for their 2 old-style 100 lb Yorks; they were happy to have the new ones. My forearms are fried from carrying them farmer's walk style, no need for a workout tonight. I will blobify them and let you know their respective weights. I still haven't sawed my 50 & 95 either, so I better get to work.

I hadn't made lifting the Blob one of my goals, but my interest in lifting block weights has surpassed grippers temporarily. I'm starting to dare to dream about lifting the Blob, especially since I read that someone with a smaller hand than me has done it. My hand is around 7 & 5/8, previously I'd thought it would take an 8" or bigger hand. I don't know if it is a realistic goal for me, but it can only make me stronger to try, and should help me progress towards the #3.

I wonder how big Brookfield's hand is? Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how many have lifted the Blob?

Edited by odin

I wonder how big Brookfield's hand is?

The only reference I have seen about Brookfield's hand size

were from his books. He states that his hands are smaller than average.

Whatever average is?......... 73/4? I don't know

Anthropometric estimates for British adults

aged 19-65 years (in mm, from Pheasant)

Dimension 5th %ile 50th %ile 95th %ile

A Hand length m 173 (6.81 in) 189 (7.44 in) 205 (8.07 in)

f 159 174 189

B Palm length 98 107 116

89 97 105

C Thumb length 44 51 58

40 47 53

D Index finger length 64 72 79

60 67 74

E Hand breadth 78 (3.07 in) 87(3.42in ) 95 (3.74)

69 76 83

F Maximum grip diameter 45 52 59

43 48 53

*Male is on the 1st line, female on the 2nd of each pair of measurements. The average Brit male hand is 7.44 x 3.42 inches.

Top 5% measures 8.07 X 3.74

Bottom 5% 6.81 x 3.07 inches

If I can find anything else like this in the next few minutes, I'll post it.

http://www.ergonomics4schools.com/lzone/tools.htm]

Edited by odin

so I bought 2 new hex Yorks (couldn't find used here). Next, I traded them with UAB's weight room for their 2 old-style 100 lb Yorks; they were happy to have the new ones.

You traded new hex dumbells for old-style blobs? The weight room doesn't have any idea how bad they got hosed! :stuart

so I bought 2 new hex Yorks (couldn't find used here). Next, I traded them with UAB's weight room for their 2 old-style 100 lb Yorks; they were happy to have the new ones.

You traded new hex dumbells for old-style blobs? The weight room doesn't have any idea how bad they got hosed! :stuart

They think I'm insane for giving the new ones to them, because one of the old Yorks has a bent handle!

No one volunteered to help; they let me have the "privilege" of carrying both sets through the lobby, hallway, basketball court, and weight room while I yelled at people to open doors for me...and later up to my3rd floor apartment. Nice farmer's walk workout for a guy who weighs about 165 soaking wet.

It was a fun challenge, and I'm glad I was able to do it without setting them down at all. The hardest part for me is getting them off the ground; there was a guy working at York who picked up the two 100's like they were nerf balls.

Addendum to my hand size post: I converted (roughly) the decimals to fractions of inches.

It looks like the average sized Brit's hand is about 7 & 7/16 long and 3 & 13/32 wide.

Smallest 5% is about 6 & 13/16 long and 3 & 1/16 wide

Largest 5% is about 8 & 1/16 long & 3 & 3/4 inches wide.

I'm going to have to measure the width of my hand now after I see how they calculated it. Their sizes for width seem small, maybe I actually have a wide hand, even though my length (7 & 5/8) is only slightly above average.

I really shocked myself today. My day got off to a bad start, as I found out my 17-yo Mazda is apparently ready for the junkyard. I snapped 3 keys with my thumbs this AM, since I was in a bad mood and didn't have anything to squeeze at the time. I hadn't done this before, and it was strangely satisfying in a popping-bubble-wrap kind of way.

I decided to do a block-weight workout tonight to blow off some steam. The 40 went up really easily with my right, and I even held it at the top for a few seconds. Next, I tried the 45. After several attempts, I deadlifted the 45 w/ my right. After I set it down, I thought that I'd accidentally grabbed the 40 by mistake (they were sitting side by side), but the blob really said "90" on it. I actually got chills down my spine, it was truly a peak experience.

I wonder if this is something worth capturing on video for the board (I hope I can manage to do it again soon). I know it wasn't "The Blob", or anything approaching a world-class feat, but I am proud of my old & skinny self nevertheless.

I probably should have tried to do it again to build my confidence, but decided to try adding 1 and 1/4, but barely broke it off the ground. My best with my L was 40+2 & 1/2.

Next, I did several forced reps with an assist on the thumb side (as little as it took).

I rested for about 15 minutes and then squeezed the grippers. I'm going to have to figure out a way to measure how close I am...but I'd guess I'm around 1/4 inch away from the #2 w/ my L, and 1/2 inch away with the #3 on my R.

Finally, I finished with a few quick squeezes & some thumb work with the ISG.