Odin's Grip Journey

odin

Heck of RT workout there Bob! :rock I bet you're feeling that one. This has to be helping your strength for the inch. Keep it up!

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

Nice work on the RT Bob! feel like doing some Axle DL's tonight :D

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on pulling the "loaded" Inch DB !!!

Since the concept is about arresting the rotation, I would imagine that the exact location of the

extra load is equal in importance to the weight of the extra load. Once you've worked out a

"sweet spot" for the location of the load, you might want to consider using a Sharpie marker

to outline their exact placement, that way you'll get consistent results and be able to accurately

measure your progress during your "unloading" training.

The height of the load objects (radial distance from the DB's center of mass) can also effect

their ability to dampen rotational forces. In other words, a taller object of equal weight has

more effect than a flatter object.

Edited by Bulging Veins

Guest Bullitt

Very strong Bob. I have never used an RT. What % reduction in weight from a normal one handed pull does the rotating handle require? Is it twice as hard? 20%? I'm just trying to get a feel as i haven't got the money to buy one right now, but one of my goals is to pass the medium level of the grip gauntlet. All i have to compare it to is regular one-handed pulls and I can put a 2 handed rotating handle on one of the machines in the condo gym and do deadlifts. That machine only has a 200LB stack, however. I have been wrapping a towel around the bar and doing one handed deads with my barbell, but I know this isn't the same. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on pulling the "loaded" Inch DB !!!

Since the concept is about arresting the rotation, I would imagine that the exact location of the

extra load is equal in importance to the weight of the extra load. Once you've worked out a

"sweet spot" for the location of the load, you might want to consider using a Sharpie marker

to outline their exact placement, that way you'll get consistent results and be able to accurately

measure your progress during your "unloading" training.

The height of the load objects (radial distance from the DB's center of mass) can also effect

their ability to dampen rotational forces. In other words, a taller object of equal weight has

more effect than a flatter object.

Very well thought-out Bulging Veins, that's a great idea, thank you! I haven't yet determined the ideal "sweet spot" as I am still experimenting. I am still getting a kick out of lifting it fully, even though it's "cheating". I don't think this technique would help someone who can't break it off the ground at all, I'd guess they need to be at least spinning it hard, which means they're getting a sliver of air.

I wonder if there is a way to get a ball-park estimate re: how much any given weight is deloading the bell (people do this with bands, I believe)? I might try adding even more weight to see what my limits are and to see where the point of diminishing returns to deloading happens and it simply becomes too heavy, I'm guessing the window is quite small.

Very strong Bob. I have never used an RT. What % reduction in weight from a normal one handed pull does the rotating handle require? Is it twice as hard? 20%? I'm just trying to get a feel as i haven't got the money to buy one right now, but one of my goals is to pass the medium level of the grip gauntlet. All i have to compare it to is regular one-handed pulls and I can put a 2 handed rotating handle on one of the machines in the condo gym and do deadlifts. That machine only has a 200LB stack, however. I have been wrapping a towel around the bar and doing one handed deads with my barbell, but I know this isn't the same. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bullitt! I think the smaller ROM due to the high loading pin of the RT balances out the rotation factor somewhat. I don't have a good answer for your question, sorry. Steve Gardener would be the man to ask, as he has a lot of experience with different implements. Edited by odin