• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

. I've been close on this feat with my wide-hubbed milled York 45s that don't fit together very well, but I was still surprised when I was able to do it after a long day of competing. His 45s weigh in @ 90.2 lbs. combined. This was one of my most satisfying feats to date; I've always thought of 2x45 as something only freaks could do ever since I read about it in MOHS.

Chris Rice was also able to do 2x45 for the first time as well; surely he must be the oldest to do it and I may be one of the lightest. His 2HP is miles ahead of mine; I'll be working on closing the gap.

Thursday 12/18: lots of extensor work; 1 hour yoga (teacher keeps pushing my hands down because I cannot get them to lie flat with my arms outstretched).

Saturday 12/20

There was a light rain falling during my workout, but I ignored it and used a towel and chalk as needed.

Sprints: 5 reps

Front Squats: just did light weights as right knee was acting up

Grippers: tried a few reps, but felt really off, so thought I'd leave some in the tank and hit grippers in a few days.

Pinch: did a couple Blob attempts

2HP: tried 48 mm for the first time in ages. Despite fighting the rain and having trouble getting a truly dry surface, I did 170-180-185 and 190 flew right up after dropping it the first try. Broke the ground w/195 as well. Best 2HP session I've had.

I may need to practice some holds with lighter weights because I hang on to faster 2HP lifts better than slow ones, which seems counterintuitive. I will also need to take better care of my hands as their surface is too smooth and dry for my liking (may need better hydration, moisturizer, fish oil). I feel like I can get 5-10 lbs. more on Jedd's setup. I think I'll stick with this width for at least a month before I try 44 mm.

Darn - that will teach me to give away my secrets - nice work Bob!

. I've been close on this feat with my wide-hubbed milled York 45s that don't fit together very well, but I was still surprised when I was able to do it after a long day of competing. His 45s weigh in @ 90.2 lbs. combined. This was one of my most satisfying feats to date; I've always thought of 2x45 as something only freaks could do ever since I read about it in MOHS.

Chris Rice was also able to do 2x45 for the first time as well; surely he must be the oldest to do it and I may be one of the lightest. His 2HP is miles ahead of mine; I'll be working on closing the gap.

Thursday 12/18: lots of extensor work; 1 hour yoga (teacher keeps pushing my hands down because I cannot get them to lie flat with my arms outstretched).

Saturday 12/20

There was a light rain falling during my workout, but I ignored it and used a towel and chalk as needed.

Sprints: 5 reps

Front Squats: just did light weights as right knee was acting up

Grippers: tried a few reps, but felt really off, so thought I'd leave some in the tank and hit grippers in a few days.

Pinch: did a couple Blob attempts

2HP: tried 48 mm for the first time in ages. Despite fighting the rain and having trouble getting a truly dry surface, I did 170-180-185 and 190 flew right up after dropping it the first try. Broke the ground w/195 as well. Best 2HP session I've had.

I may need to practice some holds with lighter weights because I hang on to faster 2HP lifts better than slow ones, which seems counterintuitive. I will also need to take better care of my hands as their surface is too smooth and dry for my liking (may need better hydration, moisturizer, fish oil). I feel like I can get 5-10 lbs. more on Jedd's setup. I think I'll stick with this width for at least a month before I try 44 mm.

Darn - that will teach me to give away my secrets - nice work Bob!

Thanks Josh; I dried the surface as much as possible, but I'm thinking a small amount of moisture had to remain? The rain was fairly light but really steady.

Chris, I appreciate you encouraging me to experiment on the 2HP and take notes, that process began yesterday.

Edited by odin

Do you have a Scott G. set-up? If so you want to race to 225 or somewhere close? We seem to be about the same level now and I'll have mine for Christmas.

Do you have a Scott G. set-up? If so you want to race to 225 or somewhere close? We seem to be about the same level now and I'll have mine for Christmas.

Yes I do.

Sure, sounds good! I've heard gains come slowly on this lift, but perhaps we can jump up quickly initially due to technique/width refinements.

Man you have gone Rocky style training in the worst conditions, Solid pulls. Chris is going to have some competition real soon. :rock keep it up.

Man you have gone Rocky style training in the worst conditions, Solid pulls. Chris is going to have some competition real soon. :rock keep it up.

Thanks Scott, it was pretty wet out there.

I'm highly motivated to improve on the 2HP because there is no reason I shouldn't be doing quite a bit more other than bad technique and incorrect width. I know you'll be improving as well. Climber is way out in front and improving rapidly, so a lot of work needs to be done. I'm hoping to have more fun with this lift by changing my mental attitude towards it.

We'll have to have a griptogether after the holidays.

• 4 weeks later...

1/19/09

Warmed up with 5 sprints and 225x5 DO DL

Thug 2.4 inch diameter Wrist Roller: worked up to breaking 135 off the ground, did five "singles". This was suggested by Dave Thornton to help me with the Inch.

I tried my usual RT warmup with 135 after this, and 4 reps was tough-so I think the heavy wrist rolling is exactly what I need, thanks Dave!! Decided to move on to:

Rolling Thunder Pullups: BW x 5 reps|BW x 5 reps|BW x 5 reps| This wasn't too hard, but I thought I'd likely be ridiculously sore already, so it was enough for the first time trying these.

1/20/09

It was about 25F w/ 10+ mph wind during my workout tonight. I found it a little bit shocking when I grabbed the iron and some of the plates I'd left out had ice on them. We had about 3 inches of snow in some parts of the city last night, but most is gone now.

I'm going to try to go to James Retarides' again on Saturday if my wife's plans don't change. I might try some of their routine, but no real pulling. I'm preparing/painting some long-unused rusty/dusty lighter blobs and hexes for them to use.

Sprints: 5 easy reps

OH Press: 120 lbs.x3 reps|120 lbs.x3 reps|120 lbs.x3 reps|

Rotator Cuff work

Another sub-freezing night, 30F w/ 5 mph wind. Neighbors must think I'm crazy.

Sprints: 5 medium-effort reps

Bent Rowing: 150 lbs x 5 reps|150 lbs x 5 reps|150 lbs x 5 reps

Grippers: more miss than hit and middle finger tendon a little tweaked, so stopped for today.

Nice work Bob! nice 2HP #'s also

Nice work Bob! nice 2HP #'s also

Thanks Stew! I hope to get 200+ next Gripmas.

Saturday 1/24

Did a few double Blob lifts and AW practice

Monday 1/26/

Inch-related Workout, Fooled Myself

Sprints: 5 medium effort

Reverse Grip Bench: 115 lbs.x3 reps|115 lbs.x3 reps|115 lbs.x3 reps

Rolling Thunder RH (old handle) RH:187x12 reps| 135x12 reps

Rolling Thunder LH (old handle) LH:187x3 reps| 135x12 reps

Wrist Roller: 45 lbs.+ loading pin rolled a few times each direction

Rolling Thunder Pullups: BWx6 reps| BWx5 reps (tried to "gooseneck" at the top of my reps, felt like it hit the area that is a little bit sore from AW)

I was wondering what was wrong with me, why was I so weak? I was totally gassed after 12 reps (done like singles) that weren't even pulled super high or anything with what I thought was around 135+the device and was really, really discouraged. Disgusted with myself, I started to take plates off to do some light wrist rolling and after taking the first 45 off I noticed there were still three 45 lb. plates underneath! I was fooled because I was working out in the dark and the top plate was a deep dish plate (not a York), which gave the illusion of having only three plates total. Not believing my eyes, I did a set with this weight and it was, indeed, super easy! The reps weren't the greatest (but "good enough") with 187 RH and LH, so I think I might have tricked myself into a PR as far as I'm concerned (will need to check).

I also thought I had three 45s on the loading pin for the Rolling Thunder during my last workout when I was also in the dark (doing wrist rollers), so all #s need to be bumped up 45 lbs.

Edited by odin

Bob - start working out in the dark more often. :) Seriously though - our minds hold us back so often - many are the times you hear this same story - a misload resulting in a breakthrough PR. We have to reach a point where we can "believe" that we can do something - or more importantly not believe we cannot do it.

Bob - start working out in the dark more often. :) Seriously though - our minds hold us back so often - many are the times you hear this same story - a misload resulting in a breakthrough PR. We have to reach a point where we can "believe" that we can do something - or more importantly not believe we cannot do it.

Ha, great job Bob! Misloads are awesome sometimes. That's how I went 416 on the 1" vbar. Since then I haven't pulled over 375 the two times since.

Awesome work Bob! thats some monster weight - we had 180 on the RT in our medely and it stopped alot of people - and you did 12! +7 more lbs! wowzer!

Thanks Chris! The mind is a powerful thing; maybe it was not an accident at some level.

It was funny what happened last night. I hadn't done any real RT work for several months and assumed I'd gotten weak, but boy was I pissed and no way was I not going to get 142x12! haha, glad it was 187! I'm sore around the elbow today in a good way (like I was from AW), what a way to jump-start my training!

Ha, great job Bob! Misloads are awesome sometimes. That's how I went 416 on the 1" vbar. Since then I haven't pulled over 375 the two times since.

Ben, that's a WR-type # in training due to a misload, cool!

Awesome work Bob! thats some monster weight - we had 180 on the RT in our medely and it stopped alot of people - and you did 12! +7 more lbs! wowzer!

Thanks Paul! My RT is old. It still spins pretty well, but a newer one is probably about 15% harder. 180 in plates on a brand new (old-style) RT would not be easy for me in a medley after a few events.

Dips, Euro-pinch experimentation & thoughts

1/28/09

Dips: BWx30 (rapid fire, went pretty deep)| BWx15 (slower w/ strong lockout-triceps emphasis)

2HP: wasn't feeling it with 48 (again) went down to 44 and it felt even worse, finished with 54 and did way better than the rest of the workout. Sadly, best effort was ~180 but I put a lot of work in and felt like I learned a little, will keep at it.

Thin 2HP (3/4 inch)85 lbsx1 rep| 105 lbs.x1 rep|115 lbs.x1 rep(this felt pretty tough after all the other work)

2H Plate Wrist curls (and reverse 2H PWC): messed around

Thin pinch is yet another weakness of mine. Pinch is often frustrating, technical, and mysterious-do you need to train multiple widths to get truly good at it? It looks like I will need to be more accepting of my decidedly non-linear, seemingly chaotic progress in 2HP. Lots of variables to grasp in this deceptively technical event.

I used to think that wide pinch and open hand strength was enough to generalize to most everything else grip-wise, but am learning otherwise.

Do you ever do weighted dips? At one time weighted dips were my main pressing exercise. They really helped to add size and strength to my chest and triceps.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you ever do weighted dips? At one time weighted dips were my main pressing exercise. They really helped to add size and strength to my chest and triceps.
Kevin, I really enjoy dips. I used to do weighted dips, but am waiting until I feel tired of the reps before I start them again.

It was a beautiful day in the mid-60s. I did some training while it was still light out and then went to James Retarides' house for a little more work.

Sprints: 5 medium effort

OH Press: 125 lbs.x3 reps|125 lbs.x3 reps|125 lbs.x3 reps

2.4" Thug Wrist Roller: tried to break 135 & 180 off the ground, seemed weaker than last time.

Inch DB: two sets of two single attempts (LH very weak)

Inch DB OH Assisted lifts: two sets of three attempts with brief unassisted hold at top and negative

Went to James Retarides'. Did a few RT pulls and one set of RT pullups. Also did a lot of work w/ 52.5 lb. hex and 28. lb. shot and a little Blob work. Scott George was there as well and spent most of his time at the AW table and was doing really well. The "Phenom" could not make it (he's a fairly young guy and it was a Saturday night after all). There was only one table tonight and I was feeling pretty beat up from the grip work, so I didn't do any pulling.

Sunday 2/8/09

Beautiful day, around 70F. Did a lot of raking and did some PWC, played with pinch a little to see how weak I was from Saturday (very).

Monday 2/9/09

Sprints: 5 easy

Barbell Rows: 155 lbs.x3 reps|155 lbs.x3 reps|155 lbs.x5 reps|

I keep forgetting to post my Yoga workouts, I do something every Thursday and sometimes on Mondays.

Unseasonably warm again. I had a hard day at work (mostly because I slept poorly last night), but recovered enough after eating to sneak a quick workout in.

Sprints: 5 reps, about 85% effort

Rotator Cuff Work

Reverse-grip Bench: 125 lbs.x3 reps|125 lbs.x3 reps|125 lbs.x3 reps (no spotter, easy)

The yoga seems to be helping. I don't feel pain in my Achilles as routinely as I did before. My upper back seems less prone to strains and my shoulders are feeling better during presses and dips. My hamstrings still have a very long way to go, sometimes it is difficult to accept their current condition like the Yoga teachers encourage (as opposed to forcing them more).

I'm still being careful with the weight training; I back off often but try not to ever get completely deconditioned on anything as my flexibility improves and prehab continues.

~30 MPH winds, started raining near the end of my workout. Raked up more gumballs.

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: did a bunch, tried rolling a "single" with two, releasing and fighting rotation with one hand.

Inch DB OH Assist: Did 3 sets of 3 reps using as little assistance as possible w/ off hand.

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of five bounces and attempted holds/negatives

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of five bounces and attempted holds about 8" off tramp

Rolling Thunder Pullups: BWx6|BWx6 (these hurt a lot at the end of the workout).

Edited by odin

I felt a tired and weak today, but decided to workout.

Rolling Thunder (old handle, used James' standard/lower loading pin, handle was much closer to ground, so it was harder-greater ROM): 185 in plates/app 190 lbs. total wt. RHx4 repsx5 reps; LHx3 repsx3reps

Did some attempts with 52.5 hex and 50 lb. Blob. Not very strong at all, doing RT first probably didn't help. Did get some full pulls RH but LH was pathetic.

Cleaned 28 lb. shot a few times RH and did ok LH (high pulls at best, no clean). I'd never tried this before and it was fun.

Did some AW warmup-type work but shoulders were achy so I didn't push it.

Rainy-day Inch Workout

Have been "low-energy" lately, but am trying to at least focus on Inch-related improvement if nothing else.

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: did a bunch, tried rolling a "single" with two, releasing and fighting rotation with one hand (did both directions). Increased weight by 10 lbs. each time, heaviest was with 150 lbs.

Inch DB OH Assist: Did two sets of 3 reps using as little assistance as possible w/ off hand.

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of 2 bounces and attempted holds/negatives

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of 2 bounces and attempted holds about 8" off tramp

Rolling Thunder Pullups: BWx7|BWx7 (good pain)

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: did some holds (fighting rotation) with each hand for several seconds w/ 90 lbs.

Yoga: one hour. I wonder if I will ever get it through my thick skull that I need to be doing at least a little bit of Yoga on most days, rather than 1-2x weekly. My hamstrings and hip tightness are limiting what I can do re: leg work and probably DL.

Sprints: 5 easy (forgot to note I also did these last night)

OH Press: 130 lbs.x3 reps|130 lbs.x3 reps|130 lbs.x3 reps

I was happy with the pressing. It will be fun to use 135 for my working sets next time.