Odin's Grip Journey

odin

all around strong work as always odin.. especially the RT stuff! got any tips for me? :D

Thanks plgut, try to stand over it to the point where you almost feel like you are pulling it away rather than towards you; you don't want to be too far away from the handle, err towards being too close and see what happens.

10/8/08

Did some stomach and neck work

Closed BBSM w/ credit-card set RH and missed it by no more than 1/8 inch at worst, a couple were a hair away.

Tried BBSM RH TNS and was 1/8 inch away.

LH almost got the BBSM w/ a deeper set. Did ~7 attempts each hand.

Edited by odin

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

congrats Odin for your new P.B!

u have enormeous potencial to close one gripper much harder!

anyway ... is your bbsm around 140 lbs?some are very close to the average #3.

your R.T its among the best in the world(pound per pound), nd i am sure u have more in the tank:-)

Thanks plgut, try to stand over it to the point where you almost feel like you are pulling it away rather than towards you; you don't want to be too far away from the handle, err towards being too close and see what happens.

thanks for the advice, it seemed to work really well. my worksets this past session flew up pretty easily.

all around strong work as always odin.. especially the RT stuff! got any tips for me? :D

10/8/08

Closed BBSM w/ credit-card set RH and missed it by no more than 1/8 inch at worst, a couple were a hair away.

have you started the grippers in chokers for gripmas yet? I'm stuck right now. I can rep my Rb260 and BBGM but, I can't get the next one up (RB300) to do much more than flex. I guess I'm doing timed holds until I get stronger.

brent

10/8/08

have you started the grippers in chokers for gripmas yet? I'm stuck right now. I can rep my Rb260 and BBGM but, I can't get the next one up (RB300) to do much more than flex. I guess I'm doing timed holds until I get stronger.

brent

Brent, no, Eaton still has most all of my > #3 grippers and should be sending them this week. I do have a RB300 in a choker and am having the same problem as you are.

thanks for the advice, it seemed to work really well. my worksets this past session flew up pretty easily.

Glad it helped; there is also a great post by Mobster in the FAQ (Rolling Thunder tips); let me know if you find it or not.

Very stressful week at work, uncharacteristically let it interfere with workouts and didn't feel like doing anything again strength-wise after easy workout Wednesday until Sunday.

Thursday 10/9: one hour Yoga.

Sunday 10/12:

SLDL: 135 lbs.x12x12

1HDL: horrid, 225 was hard and 245 even spun out 2/3 RH.

RT: weak, even though body felt strong.

Inch: did ok, 2 sets of 2 attempts from ground 6-8 inches RH (LH still regressed and just breaking ground);

Inch OH assist: 2 sets of 3 attempts; good holds at top and control.

Inch mini-tramp bounces: 2 sets of 2 attempts

Inch Negatives from mini-tramp: 2 sets of 2

Inch attempted Holds: 3 sets of 2 from mini-tramp

Shrugs (did between Inch work): 225x5| 275x3| 275x3

High Pulls (did between Inch work): 145 lbs x 5x5x5

I feel stronger overall, but grip was weak today. I'll just chalk it up to stress, not used to having really bad workouts.

Wife noticed my neck is getting thicker, guess it is a fast-growing muscle.

I'm not sure if it's the way they're choked or what. I used to think my GM was easier than my #3, when I was setting. In the clamps the #3 is a lot easier. The GM is harder than both my RB240 and 260. and the 240 is harder than the 260. I hope there is a chance to cal them at gripmas.

Wife noticed my neck is getting thicker, guess it is a fast-growing muscle.

Heavy shrugs once or twice a week will definately thicken the neck , good work Bob, cant wait till you get the INCH thats gonna be quite a feat righ there!

Bob I just saw a pic of you lifting the mini INCH 132 lbs

how would you compare lifting that to Rolling Thunder?

Im at 155 on the RT and was wondering if I would be able to lift that one

thanks

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Bob I just saw a pic of you lifting the mini INCH 132 lbs

how would you compare lifting that to Rolling Thunder?

Im at 155 on the RT and was wondering if I would be able to lift that one

thanks

Steve

Steve, I think you could get good air at the worst. You very well might be able to lift it fresh. A lot depends on how difficult your RT is. If it is fairly/new rotates very well, I think your chance of completing that lift are good.

I took some time off training except for a couple of Yoga workouts and a few gripper squeezes that were requested at work and on Skype from John. I felt like an illness was surely coming on due to the fatigue and general malaise I was experiencing, but I never got sick. I do think the time off from working out was needed, albeit poorly timed due to Gripmas being about six weeks away. I think the main problem was that I was just pushing myself too hard at work (much was necessary due to recent work demands and I do really love my job overall).

I am feeling fear of embarrassment now due to my Eaton-like recent training, so I'm going to do something very uncharacteristic for the next few weeks-spend a greater portion of time training the actual contest events (not sure if I'll train Weaver Stick). I'm not feeling my normal drive and motivation and feel about 10% weaker on most things.

11/1/08

1HDL: Did ~7 singles with 235 lbs. RH (missed most LH). Technique is still an issue here.

Inch DB: 2 sets of 2 attempts, not good.

RT: Felt weak here, just did some light/easy work

Inch DB Mini-Tramp work: Three sets of two holds; two sets of three bounced negatives.

10/30/08

Yoga: one hour

Sprints: 5 reps (Achilles felt great)

Front Squats: 105 lbs.x 3 reps| 115 lbs.x 3 reps| 125 lbs.x 3 reps| 130 lbs.x 3 reps

Sprints: 5 reps

2HP: ~170+ went up really nicely; ~180+ went up part way on a couple of attempts.

Blobs: not pretty, but 50 lb. Blob facelift is starting to feel less than a year away.

10/26/08

Inch DB: 3 sets of 2 attempts, not as much air as normal.

1HDL: Did ~10 singles with 225 lbs. RH (missed some LH). Technique is evolving.

Shrugs: 275 lbs. x 5 reps| 275 lbs. x 4 reps

Between 10/15 and 10/25 I did a few gripper squeezes. I almost got the BBSM no-set on Skype for John (the handles might have touched but I didn't feel it close). On another day I was about 1/4 inch away CCS and felt weak-weird.

Overall, the BBSM is slowly becoming my new #2 gripper, one I can close with my usual wide set even on a bad day. A few of my clients couldn't believe I use the #2 as a warm-up after they tried it, so I brought my BBSM and closed and held it shut for several seconds. The looks on their faces and their words were priceless ("where does his strength come from, holy ____! was one example).

I'm not sure if it's the way they're choked or what. I used to think my GM was easier than my #3, when I was setting. In the clamps the #3 is a lot easier. The GM is harder than both my RB240 and 260. and the 240 is harder than the 260. I hope there is a chance to cal them at gripmas.

I am sure we can get that done Barbie :D Sorry, I had to Barbe. We will have time after I am sure.

Keep up the good work Bob! If You keep traning like that I May have to start training so I don't get my butt kicked.

Bob - I have the feeling the time off will prove out to be a good thing. Pushing yourself into an overtrained state would take several weeks at best to recover from - this way all you have to do is get trained back up again and that shouldn't take all that long.

Keep up the good work Bob! If You keep traning like that I May have to start training so I don't get my butt kicked.

Nick, I feel like I'm down in everything except grippers (because I've been doing at least 3 attempts each week for the first time). I think we'll likely be in different weight classes anyway, unless you've been secretly dieting.

Bob - I have the feeling the time off will prove out to be a good thing. Pushing yourself into an overtrained state would take several weeks at best to recover from - this way all you have to do is get trained back up again and that shouldn't take all that long.
Thanks Chris, If I don't improve fast I may need to get my upper back/neck checked out. It seems like I'm not doing as well with the supporting, Inch and 1HDL type of grip work; maybe I have an absolutely painless subluxation/injury that is weakening me somehow (a couple of doctors have told me that I seem to have a high pain threshold,so maybe I'm hurt and don't feel it). Pinch may be off a bit (but not abnormally considering training frequency) and grippers are better than they have ever been. Hopefully, I'm just experiencing the vicissitudes of life/ training and nothing else. Edited by odin

Every now and then I have to take some time off for work or whatever. I find that it does help keep me motivated. When I go too long I start to get bored/unmotivated. Think of it as a deload week. I plan to start training the weaver stick this weak, just to get an idea where to come in at. I've been training events pretty hard for the last couple of months and I'm really looking forward to some random type training after the comp.

you'll be back on track with huge gains in no time.

Every now and then I have to take some time off for work or whatever. I find that it does help keep me motivated. When I go too long I start to get bored/unmotivated. Think of it as a deload week. I plan to start training the weaver stick this weak, just to get an idea where to come in at. I've been training events pretty hard for the last couple of months and I'm really looking forward to some random type training after the comp.

you'll be back on track with huge gains in no time.

Thanks for the encouragement Brent. All the levering you do will likely help you a lot in the Weaver stick.
Nice gripper work. Hope the rest does you some good.

Thanks Kevin, I hope the rest helps. Any chance you will be going to Gripmas?

11/2/08

OH Press: 115 lbs.x5 reps| 115 lbs.x 5 reps|115 lbs.x5 reps

Walked 10 minutes to playground

Dips: BWx25| BWx17

walked back from playground

Rear and front levering

Pronation, supination

I'm determined to correct the discrepancy between my wrist curl/reverse wrist curl/reverse curl/plate wrist curl (strong) and my radial/ulnar deviation (very weak). I'm going to have to improve a lot to not embarrass myself on the Gripmas Weaver stick event.

I think the break could be a good thing. You still have 6 weeks and you're bound to have some great days between now and then which will bolster your confidence.

The next time you're trying to no-set close the BBSM put a small strip of masking tape on the inside of one handle covering the spot where the handles will meet. That way you won't have to waste effort trying to see if it's touching during the attempt. You'll easily see the imprint on the tape if you closed it.

"vicissitudes" ...had to consult Webster's on that one. :D

Thanks for the tip and encouragement Gumpster.

Kevin, Scott George is hoping to get a few more guys to drive up with from Charlotte to share costs-wish you could make it. I'm not sure about Chad's comp yet, as it is more strongman-oriented than a typical grip contest but I may go simply because it is only about four hours from here and it's an opportunity to learn.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Quick One-hand Deadlift Workout

I thought I'd emphasize quality today and do a brief, focused workout.

One-hand Deadlift: 225x1x1x1 (each hand)| 245x5 singles RH (was able to do a good hold at top on a couple), had to drop to 225 LH. No hook-grip.

Friday, November 7, 2008

Chins: biceps felt weird/tight in the tendons, probably from all the levering-related work the other day, so I couldn't do much, did get a single with +50 lbs. but didn't push it at all.

Reverse-grip Bent-over Rowing: 150 lbs.x5 reps.|150 lbs.x5 reps.|150 lbs.x5 reps. Set on ground between reps, tried to focus on keeping arch in back.

Wrist Curls: 115 lbs.x5 reps.|135 lbs.x5 reps|155 lbs.x3 reps

Reverse Curls (thumbless): 85 lbs.x7 reps|85 lbs.x5 reps

Plate Wrist Curls: 25 lbs.x 7 reps RH; 3 reps+4 cheat LH|25 lbs.x 3 reps RH; 0 reps+3 cheat LH|

Reverse Wrist Curls: 75 lbs.x15 reps|75 lbs.x8 reps

-all non-chinning work was with Oly bar

11/5/08

Sprints: 5 reps (felt great, dare I say "fast"?)

Front Squats: 115 lbs.x 3 reps| 135 lbs.x 3 reps| 135 lbs.x 3 reps (knees started to go inward just a little on last rep)

Sprints: 5 reps (even "faster")

Pistol attempts: slowly getting closer

2HP: ~175+ went up nicely; ~180+ not much air. Did a lot of work with lighter weights first working on technique, slight forward tilt seemed to help. Pinching sets were done between sets of leg work.

Blobs: still off (feels crazy wide), did some negative 50 lb. Blob facelifts

11/4/08

Grippers: no PRs, did find a HG 300 that I forgot I had. It is a bit harder than my BBSM and I got it to within 1/4 inch. It will probably season down quickly (that's what I've heard about HGs), so I hope to close it soon.

Plate Finger Levering (extensors)

Sledge Finger Walking (first time trying this, was hard)

Edited by odin

What distance are your sprints?

Why do you do them?

I ask because I just had a funny experience... and it's not the first time. I always do some pistols in my warm-ups, and have been doing squats at least once weekly, and deadlifts too.. so you could say I do use my legs, and they don't get sore with these movements. But I went and did some sprints.. and my goodness, two days later still EVERYTHING is sore.. hams, glutes, hip flexors, and inner legs, all sore as heck. I am a slow runner too, I'm seriously thinking that I'm so slow, that I could really benefit from sprinting more often.

What distance are your sprints?

Why do you do them?

I ask because I just had a funny experience... and it's not the first time. I always do some pistols in my warm-ups, and have been doing squats at least once weekly, and deadlifts too.. so you could say I do use my legs, and they don't get sore with these movements. But I went and did some sprints.. and my goodness, two days later still EVERYTHING is sore.. hams, glutes, hip flexors, and inner legs, all sore as heck. I am a slow runner too, I'm seriously thinking that I'm so slow, that I could really benefit from sprinting more often.

Arturo, probably 50-70 yds. I just enjoy doing them and they seem to help me keep my weight up. I don't get any soreness from them usually, try to run relaxed at about 90% effort at most.

11/10/08: 2HP Pinch & Blobs, way off, not much worth reporting.

11/12/08: Sick with a cold/flu. Very sore throat and stuffy nose, headache, fever. Zicam didn't help this time, it's worked before.

11/14/08: Still quite sick, but did 15 sets of `3 50 lb. Blob attempts. Went surprisingly well, think I'll get a nice "bounce-back" when I fully recover. Sometimes getting sick has healthy results training-wise.

Here's something for all of you who bug me about my not training grippers :D :

11/15/08: Got some choked grippers from Eaton in the mail.

Closed 156 lb. RGC-rated choked #3 RH and 168 lb. RGC-rated choked 3.5 RH <click here for video> (did it about 10 times until you could see and hear the close well on video, still working on my video technique). Eaton was a little surprised and is looking for something in the mid-170 range or higher to send me.

LH could move both pretty well but not near closing.

Finished with various sledge work. Still feel quite sick, but wanted to do a little bit.

great work with the the 3.5, would your gripper strength down to your pinch and thickbar work primarily? as i know you havent done a lot of crush work. thanks

Nice job on the 3.5 Bob!!! Damn I'm already behind in pinch and thickbar now I have to catch you on grippers too?!?!?! :D:laugh

great work with the the 3.5, would your gripper strength down to your pinch and thickbar work primarily? as i know you havent done a lot of crush work. thanks
Thanks Arturo and egg_uk. Yes, I would attribute it to pinching (especially the 50 lb. Blob), RT and Inch work and not neglecting extensors or wrist work. I closed the #1 and #2 the first day I had them, so I really haven't progressed much. My plan was to build a broad base with pinch/thickbar, then do some choker work to develop my "close" and get used to having the gripper higher in my hand (my hand is feeling pretty raw from earlier today as I'm used to having the gripper closer to my thumb). I hope to also do some choked BTR work as suggested by Eaton and RP specialization. One day I might even learn to set properly :sleep , but that would involve a lot of boring, fumbling work-stranger things have happened I guess.
Nice job on the 3.5 Bob!!! Damn I'm already behind in pinch and thickbar now I have to catch you on grippers too?!?!?! :D:laugh
Thanks Derek, it looks like you're even with me on thickbar as my best axle is 323 just like you (got 333 knee-high) and your pinch is almost even already. The 3.5 I closed was choked and more like an Elite (168), so I think you're still well ahead of me on grippers in strength and technique-I've never even closed a #3 without a choker. Besides, you are 32 years younger, so you'll end up way beyond me anyway. It is a bit weird how close we are on some of the feats/events. And let's not even discuss how far you are ahead of me with bending, Eaton can tell you better than I could what potential I have there and I'm unlikely to mess around with DO much anyway.

Tonight I tried some TNS work and shut the RB 210, it calibrates around 124-125 I think. Also did some RP Trainer work as Eaton sent that back and it arrived with a few grippers today. I'm doing a little last-minute cramming for Gripmas.

Edited by odin