• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• odin

• Jonathan McMillan

• burkhardmacht

• John Eaton

nice pressing Bob!!! two plates should be easy for you

Thanks Steve! I've been progressing carefully and backing off whenever my shoulders ache too much. I'd like to get a BW overhead press in the next year or two, that wouldn't be too bad. I think Yoga and some of the rotator cuff work I've been doing is helping my shoulders.

I forgot to note that I did a lot of extensor work last Sunday and also did some today.

Thanks Steve! I've been progressing carefully and backing off whenever my shoulders ache too much. I'd like to get a BW overhead press in the next year or two, that wouldn't be too bad. I think Yoga and some of the rotator cuff work I've been doing is helping my shoulders.

I forgot to note that I did a lot of extensor work last Sunday and also did some today.

Bob a bodyweight press would be very very solid! I do the same thing whenever I feel that bad pain joints aching I put the barbell on the ground, fish oil pills is one thing that id recommend if your not taking them already...

Bob a bodyweight press would be very very solid! I do the same thing whenever I feel that bad pain joints aching I put the barbell on the ground, fish oil pills is one thing that id recommend if your not taking them already...

Thanks Steve, I take the fish oil and it seems to help.

Wed. 2/25/09

Sprints: 7 reps; 3 easy, four hard.

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: used app. 8 inch ROM for most sets (will note when I did otherwise, did both directions, IM oly loading pin weight not included. 90 lbsx1 rep| 115 lbsx1 rep| 135 lbsx1 rep| 160 lbsx1 rep|170 lbs.x3 sets of "singles" mini-reps+drop set at end where I also got 150 for a 8" rep using flexors and mini-rep w/extensors

Inch DB OH Assist: Did two sets of 4 reps using as little assistance as possible w/ off hand.

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of 2 bounces and attempted holds/negatives

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of 2 bounces and attempted holds about 8" off tramp

Rolling Thunder Pullups: BWx8|BWx8

I believe that continued progress with the heavy thick-handled wrist rolling will help in winning the fight against the rotation of the Inch Dumbbell. I feel like I'm getting stronger quickly on these, which means they were a comparative weakness.

I will likely get an axle when my tax check comes in,which should also help.

I'm feeling inspired in my Inch-related training again. I am determined to lift it, even if it takes 10 years or more. It took Bruce White 5+ years and he was way stronger than me overall.

The RT pullups are painful, but not in a bad way, in the uppermost parts of the forearms. Great finisher.

My elbows feel almost mildly hyperextended after this type of workout-not injured, but worked to the utmost.

Mon 2/23/09

Yoga: One hour

Shrugs: 275 lbs.x3 reps|275 lbs.x3 reps|275 lbs.x3 reps

High Pull: 155 lbs.x3 reps|155 lbs.x3 reps|155 lbs.x3 reps

Saturday, 2/21/09

Sprints: 15 reps, fairly hard

Reverse Grip Bench: 135 lbs.x3 reps|135 lbs.x3 reps|135 lbs.x3 reps135 lbs.x3 reps

Rolling Thunder (old handle): 185 in plates/app 190 lbs. total wt. RHx6 repsx5 reps; LHx3 repsx2reps

Did some attempts with 52.5 hex and 50 lb. Blob. both hands weak.

Wrist Roller: light for recovery

Thursday 2/19/09:

Yoga: 1 hour

Thursday 2/26/09

OH Extensor Work

Yoga: meditation only

PM: Walked 10 minutes to church playground to use monkey bars for dips.

Dips: BWx33 (full but rapid-fire)|BWx15 (emphasis on lockout)

Walked/jogged on way back.

Rolling Thunder (old handle): 185 in plates/app 192 lbs. total wt.: RHx12 reps (rested to catch breath between last few reps)x3 reps; LHx0repsx0reps

Snowstorm rolled in about an hour before workout, big and beautiful flakes coming down.

I'm coming down with some type of sinus/lung infection-which has flared up my asthma as well, so thought I'd do a very quick but hard workout so I wouldn't lose strength. I couldn't breathe after the first set, which contributed to LH bombing out.

RH was surprisingly strong. I unintentionally did a v-bar/tilt on a few reps which happens sometimes on high reps, but overall the pulls were nice and high and "good enough". My old handle is about 15% easier than my "new" one.

hope you feel better! maybe we can get together this week sometime for a workout if your feeling up to it.

I'm feeling inspired in my Inch-related training again. I am determined to lift it, even if it takes 10 years or more. It took Bruce White 5+ years and he was way stronger than me overall.

That's the right attitude Bob!! :rock

hope you feel better! maybe we can get together this week sometime for a workout if your feeling up to it.
Scott, that would be great, hopefully I'll be breathing better in a few days.

Here's some of my Rolling Thunder work in the snow from yesterday.

Oh my god thats some serious dedication!!!! :bow:bow you get a double for that!!! Ok if we train together one day its gotta be indoors, and warm. i'm sensitive :tongue

Nice work Bob!

Nice work Bob :rock

It's hard enough for me to do any grip work in my cozy living room, let alone outside in the cold :blush:D

Edited by John Eaton

Ncie lifting there Bob!

nice lifting there bob :rock but i have to say you had an advantage :blush your hand was froze to the handle :D:D:D:blush

Kick ass training in the snow Bob! :rock

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all your encouragement, it made my day. :cool:rock

Scott, I think that may be the only edge I might have over you.

Dan, too funny, I'll remember to put some water on my hand first next time so it freezes to the handle.

John, I'm sure the cold/snow up there gets old, for me it was a novelty. I do hope to see some training footage of you soon.

egg_uk, Jedd, Stew and gumpster, thanks, it almost never snows here, so it was more of a fun change of scenery than anything and actually helped fire me up. I believe Sean Dockery routinely trains in the cold, I really admire his dedication.

Burkhard, thanks, the good news is I can get good air on the Inch despite my current weaknesses, so if I keep addressing them...

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Went to the doctor yesterday and she said I have a sinus infection and that my asthma flareup wasn't helped by the fact that I had been prescribed a "pediatric dose" of my asthma inhaler by another doctor. Feeling really lousy still, but wanted to do a little bit.

OH Press: 135 lbs.x2 reps|135 lbs.x1 rep. Yikes, that was weak.

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: used app. 8 inch ROM for most sets (will note when I did otherwise, did both directions, IM oly loading pin weight not included). 90 lbsx1 rep| 135 lbsx1 rep| 180 lbs.x3 sets of "singles" (mini-reps/negatives). Not feeling strong or good at all, so this is all I did. You have to be really aggressive and motivated to do heavy wrist rolling, and I was lacking both qualities tonight, but I'm not going to beat myself up because it was out of character/ illness-related.

I think a better question for me than: "how much do you think you'll need to be able to pull on the Rolling Thunder to lift the Inch?"

would be: "how much do you think you'll need to wrist roll at least a few inches on the 2.4 inch wrist roller before you'll be able to get a full DL on the Inch?" Thanks to Dave Thornton for suggesting that this is the area I need to address in order to fully DL the Inch; I believe he is right.

The only thing fun was that there was still some snow on the ground to look at. Better days coming soon, I'm sure.

Thurs 3/5/09

Yoga: 1 hour (lousy, couldn't breathe through nose).

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Rolling Thunder (old handle): : RH 185 in plates/app 192 lbs. total wt.x a lot of reps (~14+) but over a 4 minute period (rested to catch breath between last few reps because I am still congested pretty badly)x3 reps; LH 165x7repsx3reps.

I have video of the extended RH work, but it turned out too dark even after some editing.

2HP: 170 lbs.x1 rep|175 lbs.x1 rep|180 lbs.x1 rep|185 lbs.x0rep|185 lbs.x1rep|190 lbs.x0repsx0reps (broke ground once)| I did really, really well considering I haven't done 2HP for a few weeks and that I did it after RT, which really tired out my forearms and grip in general.

NB: -chalk on last couple joints of fingers seems to hinder more than help.

-I'm finding that I need to be much more aggressive in my mental outlook with 2HP and really try to make my fingers and thumbs meet through the metal.

Blob: lifted once just to make sure I could still do it after not touching them for a while.

-With Blobs, I don't squeeze inwardly the same way as 2HP, it is more of a whole-hand tension, including the extensors.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beautiful weekend with highs in the mid-70s.

Sprints:5 very easy

Reverse Grip Bench: 140 lbs.x3 reps|140 lbs.x3 reps|140 lbs.x3 reps|still experimenting with hand placement.

Lots of raking and stretching.

I'm starting to get the itch to take a month or two run on choked grippers and close Eaton's 189# BB Super Elite (I almost shut this gripper at 2008 Gripmas, best choked close to date is the 182# COC 3.5 at Gripmas). Once I close that, the next target will likely be my choked 196# COC #4. Eaton thinks I'll need to get one or more grippers between those two poundages.

The question is: will I close a choked #4 before I MMS a #3? Eaton gets a lot of abuse for being lazy, but unlike me at least he took some time to learn to set grippers-I'd rather watch Blobs rust.

He also said that even when I use a choked gripper, I don't really put it in the "power zone", but have it closer to the thumbpad; he can't figure out how I can close grippers there. He also mentioned that Gabriel Sum sets it in a similar way, but most all do better with a more traditional set.

Edited by odin

Bob,

I spent a pretty long period working grippers in chokers only. My strength in the choker went way up but, my set fell apart. pre choker training I was closing my #3 easily. post choker training it took me about 2 months to be able to close the #3 inconsistently. so, if you decide to hit the choked grippers a lot don't forget to add in some sets. I think I'd be a lot further along right now if I hadn't dropped the sets completely.

brent

Bob,

I spent a pretty long period working grippers in chokers only. My strength in the choker went way up but, my set fell apart. pre choker training I was closing my #3 easily. post choker training it took me about 2 months to be able to close the #3 inconsistently. so, if you decide to hit the choked grippers a lot don't forget to add in some sets. I think I'd be a lot further along right now if I hadn't dropped the sets completely.

brent

Thanks Brett. Usually i did a couple no-set or wide-set attempts with my RB210 or SM during the only period I ever trained chokers (from 11/15/08 until a few days before Gripmas-less than a month, about 2x a week). I almost never train grippers and I've never developed a proper set to "lose", and since my choker work is still near my thumbpad I should hopefully have some transfer once I grok setting.

Maybe if I do some Skype sessions with Eaton and Paul Knight both coaching/yelling at me I'll be able to figure out setting, seems I have a mental block against it-fear of success perhaps. I feel like Shaquille O'Neal practicing free throws when I try a MM set, it feels as hard or harder than my usual minimal/wide set.

Edited by odin

Sprints: 5 medium effort

Bent Over Rowing: 160 lbs.x3 reps|160 lbs.x3 reps|160 lbs.x3 reps (set weight down between attempts)

Eric Milfield does more with a dumbbell, oh the shame, the shame. :blush;)

SLDL: 135 lbs. x5 reps|135 lbs. x5 reps|135 lbs. x5 reps

Was going to do some unplanned grip as well, but forearms were really sore during warmups.

Edited by odin

typo, sorry Brent :)

I made a loud off color comment at work when I read that. but, I'm keeping it on the inside and using it to train harder.

typo, sorry Brent :)

I made a loud off color comment at work when I read that. but, I'm keeping it on the inside and using it to train harder.

Sorry for the mistake but glad I could help, at least it was different than what you usually hear.

Edited by odin

How are you coming along with 6-10s?
Thanks for asking Kevin. I haven't been working on it lately, most of my 10s are at James Retarides' home because the AW have been working on five 10s, etc. The thick wrist rolling I've been doing will hopefully help my thumb strength next time i make a run at the feat.

Wed. 3/11/09

Sprints: 3 easy reps

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: used app. 8 inch ROM for most sets (will note when I did otherwise, did both directions, IM oly loading pin weight not included). 90 lbsx1 rep| 135 lbsx1 rep| 170 lbs.x3 partial singles (pretty close to full 8" on a couple)

Inch DB OH Assist: Did two sets of 3 reps using as little assistance as possible w/ off hand.

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of 4 bounces and attempted holds/negatives

Inch DB Mini-tramp: Did two sets of 4 bounces and attempted holds about 8" off tramp

Rolling Thunder Pullups: BWx9|BWx9

Thug 2.4" Wrist Roller: used app. 8 inch ROM 135 lbsx3 reps both directions to finish immediately after last RT pullup set

My hands were cramping while I was trying to eat after the workout.

Thursday 3/12/09

Yoga: One hour, still not feeling 100% so I slacked a little

Sprints: 5 easy reps

Shrugs: 280 lbs.x3 reps|280 lbs.x3 reps|280 lbs.x3 reps

High Pull: 160 lbs.x3 reps|160 lbs.x3 reps|160 lbs.x3 reps

Forearms and hands feel trashed today.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

3/14/09 Afternoon: Rolling Thunder (old handle): : RH 185 in plates/app 192 lbs. total wt.x ~19-20 attempts broke ground, at least 15 "good enough" but over app. a 4 minute period (rested to catch breath between reps) James Retarides took video as he and a couple other arm wrestlers provided encouragement.

LH 160 in plates/ app. 167x15reps I was absolutely done after this effort.

3/14/09 Evening:

2HP: 170 lbs.x1 rep|180 lbs.x1 rep||190 lbs.x0repsx0reps (broke ground twice)| I did great considering it was raining and 44F (felt colder) and the implement was quite damp and very cold.