The Yol Bosun Grip Contest

climber511

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

For anyone interested I have the Yol Bolsun scoresheet - if you want it send me your email address and a request

If you email it to me (I sent you my email), I can post it here and on facebook for you, if there is any kind of tech issue (I only offer because you told me you are not very techie).  Then you won't have to keep sending it to every one who asks.

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

If you email it to me (I sent you my email), I can post it here and on facebook for you, if there is any kind of tech issue (I only offer because you told me you are not very techie).  Then you won't have to keep sending it to every one who asks.

I can attach things to an email but that's my limit - Thank You  Just sent it to you

had to do it…..😂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I can attach things to an email but that's my limit - Thank You  Just sent it to you

Here is the file for all to see:

Yol Bolsun Grip Contest (3).xlsx

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

If I get a chance I will break it out into a post of its own, easier to read than a spreadsheet; just didn't do that yet.  But the data are here.

• Like 1

Had a great time despite my back issue, I really wish I could have attacked that medley feeling healthy, that was the part I was looking forward to the most.  Regardless, had a great time, it was so good to see a bunch of my gripster friends again!

• Like 2

Just finished up putting the Gym back together again. Took most of two days working hard. Hands and knees washing mats etc. Weight plates put away. All the equipment from the little garage back in it's place. Extra table and chairs put away. Wow that sucked - I think I remember why I quit holding contests LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Just finished up putting the Gym back together again. Took most of two days working hard. Hands and knees washing mats etc. Weight plates put away. All the equipment from the little garage back in it's place. Extra table and chairs put away. Wow that sucked - I think I remember why I quit holding contests LOL.

If you do it again next year, I will stay an extra day and help clean up.  I really want another crack at the Euro weight class record!

• Like 1

I put this together in my newsletter today

I wanted to share something that in my opinion hasn't gotten the attention it fully deserves.

First a little background (hoping my memory is accurate)...

From at least 2007 until about 2017, Chris Rice ran The Gripmas Carole, "Gripmas" for short in his garage gym in Crooksville, Ohio.

This was the longest lasting annual competition in all of Grip Sport.

In 2018, Chris scheduled what was supposed to be his last Gripmas competition, due to some health concerns he was having at the time that were making him question his future in Grip Sport.  That edition of the contest took place down the road at a bigger facility, whose name escapes me.

Despite the location of the contest, out in the middle of nowhere in Ohio, but thanks to its storied history, Gripmas often had close to 20 competitors most years, and I was lucky enough to come out victorious there, on several occasions, also setting several of my Two Hands Pinch World Records in that perfectly sized and outfitted garage gym.

From 2019 to 2021, Chris Andrade took the reigns for Gripmas, and in 2022, he even held the contest in my gym in Wyalusing, PA.

The year 2023 marked the first year a Gripmas contest did not take place, since its inception, if my memory is correct.

However, after a resurgence of health due to medical advancements, Chris Rice returned to Grip Sport promotion last weekend, running a competition true to his style, called the Yol Bosun Grip Contest, on Sunday, January 14th.

Yol Bosun serves as Chris's motto, of sorts, and according to a quick google search, the term is credited to Louie L'Amour, and means "May there be a road."

Unfortunately, even though I have traveled the road to Crooksville many times over the years, as much as I would have loved to have been there to try my hands at the events and experience the love and camaraderie one more time, I could not bring myself to make the + hour trip due to hip pain I've been experiencing when riding in vehicles, and the left hand injury I've been dealing with for so long now.

However, the Grip Contest must go on, whether Napalm makes the trip or not, and many great performances went down.

When the chalk dust settled, it was my good friend and lifting partner of over 10 years, Luke Raymond, at the very top, edging out all other contenders, including Jason Dingey, the 2022 US Grip Sport Champion, among many other contenders.

So, I write this to welcome back Chris Rice to the helm of his very own Grip Competition, back in what looked like tip top shape, and to congratulate my good friend, Luke, on his excellent performance.

In two blow-away performances, Luke came out on top in the Double Sledge Hammer for Reps and the Mighty Medley.  Both of which were videoed, and I uploaded them to my YouTube Channel if you'd like to check them out.

Luke's Double Sledge Hammer Performance

Luke's Medley Run

How I would have loved to give that Medley a try, myself!

I hope you enjoy the write-up and the videos.

All the best in your training.

NAPALM

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I put this together in my newsletter today

I wanted to share something that in my opinion hasn't gotten the attention it fully deserves.

First a little background (hoping my memory is accurate)...

From at least 2007 until about 2017, Chris Rice ran The Gripmas Carole, "Gripmas" for short in his garage gym in Crooksville, Ohio.

This was the longest lasting annual competition in all of Grip Sport.

In 2018, Chris scheduled what was supposed to be his last Gripmas competition, due to some health concerns he was having at the time that were making him question his future in Grip Sport.  That edition of the contest took place down the road at a bigger facility, whose name escapes me.

Despite the location of the contest, out in the middle of nowhere in Ohio, but thanks to its storied history, Gripmas often had close to 20 competitors most years, and I was lucky enough to come out victorious there, on several occasions, also setting several of my Two Hands Pinch World Records in that perfectly sized and outfitted garage gym.

From 2019 to 2021, Chris Andrade took the reigns for Gripmas, and in 2022, he even held the contest in my gym in Wyalusing, PA.

The year 2023 marked the first year a Gripmas contest did not take place, since its inception, if my memory is correct.

However, after a resurgence of health due to medical advancements, Chris Rice returned to Grip Sport promotion last weekend, running a competition true to his style, called the Yol Bosun Grip Contest, on Sunday, January 14th.

Yol Bosun serves as Chris's motto, of sorts, and according to a quick google search, the term is credited to Louie L'Amour, and means "May there be a road."

Unfortunately, even though I have traveled the road to Crooksville many times over the years, as much as I would have loved to have been there to try my hands at the events and experience the love and camaraderie one more time, I could not bring myself to make the + hour trip due to hip pain I've been experiencing when riding in vehicles, and the left hand injury I've been dealing with for so long now.

However, the Grip Contest must go on, whether Napalm makes the trip or not, and many great performances went down.

When the chalk dust settled, it was my good friend and lifting partner of over 10 years, Luke Raymond, at the very top, edging out all other contenders, including Jason Dingey, the 2022 US Grip Sport Champion, among many other contenders.

So, I write this to welcome back Chris Rice to the helm of his very own Grip Competition, back in what looked like tip top shape, and to congratulate my good friend, Luke, on his excellent performance.

In two blow-away performances, Luke came out on top in the Double Sledge Hammer for Reps and the Mighty Medley.  Both of which were videoed, and I uploaded them to my YouTube Channel if you'd like to check them out.

Luke's Double Sledge Hammer Performance

Luke's Medley Run

How I would have loved to give that Medley a try, myself!

I hope you enjoy the write-up and the videos.

All the best in your training.

NAPALM

Thank You my friend - much appreciated!  You were missed Jedder!  Teresa said she missed all your help cooking - and I missed you in many ways - mostly your roars of joy when setting yet another World Record on the Euro.  I think there may have been more Euro Records set in my little garage gym than any single location ever unless it's David Horne's?  No idea if I'll hold another contest but it's "possible" - and you'd better get healed up so you can come!  Luke certainly represented you well - he just keeps getting better and better.  My dreams of beating him are turning into nightmares LOL.  Take care of yourself and get healed up!

• Like 4

I got some one side sticky paper - put my Yol Bolsun results on it and stuck it to the back of my trophy. So in the future I can look back and see what I did that day.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2