The Yol Bosun Grip Contest

climber511

I have decided to put on another Grip Contest over the winter (date not decided yet).  I messaged Tank and he thinks he’s moving his contest to spring so that helps.  Mostly my objective is to see what I can do in a contest setting at 75 years of age.  I don’t see any records being set but maybe some age related PRs on events I haven’t done in a while – plus I do miss the people and the atmosphere.  I wanted to do an Armlifting Comp this year and was set to go to the Arnold but then had surgery just before hand.  So I’m kicking around some way to incorporate lifts that would show how I might do if an Armlifting Comp popped up close by with events I like.  Events will be things I already own equipment wise.  The Arnold Armlifting events were 1.75” Rolling Handle - 1.9” Axle DL – and Saxon Barbell DL.  I’d like to get a sort of “baseline” of where I stand on these items. 

Possible events are:

Grippers will not be included – first I hate the things and second I only own a few anymore.  Sorry not sorry LOL.

Pinch – Probably the Euro and/or Saxon Barbell deadlift.

Axle DL – If I use a 1.9” bar it would show as a guideline for any Armlifting contest that I might do?  But wouldn’t count for Grip Sport records.  Still thinking on how to get the best of both???  Maybe pure Grip Sport items with the “after show” those 3 Armlifting events as a “test” which is all I care about anyway.  Wouldn't be a part of the actual contest.

I think levering is a vastly unappreciated test in Grip Sport – and an event that was only held at Gripmas was the “Supported sledge levering” event – either for Max Weight or Max Reps with a fixed weight.  It seemed popular with people (somewhat hard to train but not all that difficult to set something up to train with).  If contested it will probably be held last as it fries you pretty good.  Also thinking about Weaver Stick - I'll decide later but in time for you to train for it.

A 20 or so item Medley is probably a given – items will be posted in advance for fairness as much as possible.

Events are certainly not decided yet so I’ll listen to feedback.   Except I will not be purchasing any more “stuff”.

Date will be posted as soon as I figure things out.

• Like 9

I like your events. Its all the essentials. I agree, not enough levering is done these days.

Edited by Blacksmith513

Re: grippers.  Maybe include Silver Bullet as a crush event, since it is a typical arm lifting event and you don't need a lot of grippers?  Jedd has a great Number 4.  Maybe he'd bring it.  A few of us could take some of the top ten SB #4 spots away from some arm lifting regulars (three of us got over 15 seconds on it at Gripmas two years ago, although I doubt anyone will pass Tanner's 30+ seconds).

• Like 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

Re: grippers.  Maybe include Silver Bullet as a crush event, since it is a typical arm lifting event and you don't need a lot of grippers?  Jedd has a great Number 4.  Maybe he'd bring it.  A few of us could take some of the top ten SB #4 spots away from some arm lifting regulars (three of us got over 15 seconds on it at Gripmas two years ago, although I doubt anyone will pass Tanner's 30+ seconds).

But I know you hate grippers and of course I am in no matter what the events are, as long as I can make it.

Regarding grippers…just saying…remember that CPW has an all IronMind set that is free for promoters to use. Exact 5 pound increments from 40 to 225. Just a reminder. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Is there a list of upcoming competitions somewhere?  Wanting to set a date for mine and don't want to step on anyone elses date.  Looking at December or January sometime.

Edited by climber511

6 hours ago, climber511 said:

Is there a list of upcoming competitions somewhere?  Wanting to set a date for mine and don't want to step on anyone elses date.  Looking at December or January sometime.

I’m not aware of a comprehensive list being maintained anywhere, but as far as I know, there are no North American grip sport or armlifting comtests currently scheduled in December or January. This said, you may want to reach out to Jedd to inquire about whether he’s running the Napalm’s Nightmare World Championships this year. Last year the event was held on December 10th. 

The biggest events currently scheduled for this fall are King Kong on October 28th (multiple venues) and the Armlifting World Championships on November 3-4 in Orlando.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

I’m not aware of a comprehensive list being maintained anywhere, but as far as I know, there are no North American grip sport or armlifting comtests currently scheduled in December or January. This said, you may want to reach out to Jedd to inquire about whether he’s running the Napalm’s Nightmare World Championships this year. Last year the event was held on December 10th. 

The biggest events currently scheduled for this fall are King Kong on October 28th (multiple venues) and the Armlifting World Championships on November 3-4 in Orlando.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I second Eric that nothing else seems to be scheduled in your window, and he probably has better channels than I do anyway.

I find out about upcoming "grip sport" comps primarily from the "Grip Contests" topic on the gripboard (https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/forum/15-grip-contests/), and arm lifting comps from the arm lifting USA website's upcoming contests link (https://armliftingusa.com/upcoming-contests).

I think some folks also post on Facebook/Instagram, but I am not confident that I see every post in those media, so I rely mostly on looking at the above links.  I think announcements about most comps do eventually hit the Grip Board or Arm Lifting links, but things may be announced on Facebook/Insta before they find their way into the above links.

Edited by Vinnie

I'm down to 2 possible dates

December 10 - 2023 or

January 14 - 2024

Both work out for me and I have no real preference.  I'll accept feedback for a while and then decide.  Jan would give a little more time for event training I suppose.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, climber511 said:

December 10 - 2023 or

January 14 - 2024

Both work out for me and I have no real preference.  I'll accept feedback for a while and then decide.  Jan would give a little more time for event training I suppose.

I will almost certainly be there on either of those two dates.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I second Eric that nothing else seems to be scheduled in your window, and he probably has better channels than I do anyway.

I find out about upcoming "grip sport" comps primarily from the "Grip Contests" topic on the gripboard (https://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/forum/15-grip-contests/), and arm lifting comps from the arm lifting USA website's upcoming contests link (https://armliftingusa.com/upcoming-contests).

I think some folks also post on Facebook/Instagram, but I am not confident that I see every post in those media, so I rely mostly on looking at the above links.  I think announcements about most comps do eventually hit the Grip Board or Arm Lifting links, but things may be announced on Facebook/Insta before they find their way into the above links.

These are my two primary sources as well. If a grip contest promoter is not posting their event in either of these locations, they’re probably limiting their attendance. A Facebook event page is good, but not enough in my opinion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, climber511 said:

December 10 - 2023 or

January 14 - 2024

January works better for me, but I will do my best to be there no matter which date you choose.

• Like 2

This is my place holding post.

i am not much for lifting these days but it would be great to see everybody and I can think of no better place to do it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

This is my place holding post.

i am not much for lifting these days but it would be great to see everybody and I can think of no better place to do it.

"I am not much for lifting these days" says guy with pic of himself holding 200 pound boulder on his shoulder ...  SEE YOU THERE!

• 2 weeks later...

Date is set.  January 14, 2024.  Breakfast at 8am - warmups at 9 ish and a start time of 10am.

Other details to follow.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Date is set.  January 14, 2024.  Breakfast at 8am - warmups at 9 ish and a start time of 10am.

Other details to follow.

In calendar, and it is my intention to attend.  Only thing that might get in the way is parental obligations, but probably that won't happen.  And I will be happy to drive other NY area folks who want to carpool, if that helps solidify anyone's resolve.  

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 9:16 AM, climber511 said:

Other details to follow.

This is fantastic news!  Barring some type of catastrophic injury between now and then, I am going to go ahead and schedule a few days off work for that week and I will plan to attend this awesome event! 

Chris, you should maybe put this out on FB too, so we can all share it and get the word out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

This is fantastic news!  Barring some type of catastrophic injury between now and then, I am going to go ahead and schedule a few days off work for that week and I will plan to attend this awesome event! 

Chris, you should maybe put this out on FB too, so we can all share it and get the word out.

I just returned from our 50th anniversary climbing trip where Teresa and I accomplished our goal climb.  As soon as I finalize everything I will post it more places - including Facebook.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I just returned from our 50th anniversary climbing trip where Teresa and I accomplished our goal climb.

Congrats and happy anniversary!

I did my first "Grip" workout in maybe a year this morning except for climbing - which I've been doing quite a bit of.  Very light but a lot of variety.  This is the first day of training for the January contest.  I have decided on events for the comp.

The Yol Bosun Grip Contest

Held by Climber511 (Chris Rice)

This will be a sanctioned contest so all results will count.

Date: January 14th - 2024

Time: Weigh in starts at 8am (before breakfast).  Breakfast will be served starting at 8am – warmups and general visiting starts whenever – 10 am contest start – runs until ???  Various challenges and showing off will be held in the after contest time.

Cost: $35 in advance Paypal (PM for address) or check by December 15 (in time to get Trophies made up) - $40 at the door.

Classes : A throwback to the Original Gripmas Carol contests.  Lightweight and Open – dividing line is 207 - 208#.  208# or over is Open. Trophy’s for 1-2-3 each.  You can “choose” to compete in the open class regardless of bodyweight.  Women are welcome but no trophies unless at least 3 are competing (must be signed up in advance so I can get trophies done up).  Grip Sport Records/Results can of course be set for any actual Grip Sport weight class or division to be entered into the database.  Scoring will be percentage based.  If anyone wants to do a Strongman or Reverse Strongman system on the side that might be fun (but not official).

Events: 4 Attempts unless for a class record then an extra attempt will be allowed.  All warm ups will be on same apparatus and done between other attempts.  One shot on Medley and Sledge.

1.75” Rolling Handle – rising bar.

Euro Pinch – 2 widths only – 52 and 58mm - same apparatus so same surface for all.  Thicker width will go first.  Rising bar.

IM Axle DL – Rising bar

Medley – 20+ items – reverse order of placement after first three events.

2 Hand Sledge Lever – Supported at shoulder height position (will be adjustable) – Max Reps with fixed weight.  Dead stop at bottom of each rep – heels must remain on floor – may shrug shoulders.  Reverse order after first 4 events.  I’ll post the rule set and a video as many have never seen this event unless you were here for it before.  It’s the same weight we had back in 2012 and everyone did OK with it. 

• Like 3

Any nod to the gripper fans perhaps by including some grippers in the medley?

33 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Any nod to the gripper fans perhaps by including some grippers in the medley?

Oh yeah - there will be a couple grippers with a strap hold lift picking up a weight loaded to the bench everything will be lifted onto and a couple "closes" (MMS type set because everyone will be in a rush in the Medley).  Not sure what grippers by RGC but possibly a #1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - and 3 (146#)?  The strap hold lifts might be choked for convinence?  Grippers could be 3 to 6 items in a 30 item Medley???  So a nod to the "gripper guys" - as much as I hate them (the grippers - not the guys) LOL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, climber511 said:

Oh yeah - there will be a couple grippers with a strap hold lift picking up a weight loaded to the bench everything will be lifted onto and a couple "closes" (MMS type set because everyone will be in a rush in the Medley).  Not sure what grippers by RGC but possibly a #1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - and 3 (146#)?  The strap hold lifts might be choked for convinence?  Grippers could be 3 to 6 items in a 30 item Medley???  So a nod to the "gripper guys" - as much as I hate them (the grippers - not the guys) LOL.

That sounds fair!  Thanks.  Looking forward to it!

On 8/5/2023 at 11:10 AM, climber511 said:

2 Hand Sledge Lever – Supported at shoulder height position (will be adjustable) – Max Reps with fixed weight.  Dead stop at bottom of each rep – heels must remain on floor – may shrug shoulders.  Reverse order after first 4 events.  I’ll post the rule set and a video as many have never seen this event unless you were here for it before.  It’s the same weight we had back in 2012 and everyone did OK with it. 

Was that weight around 25 lbs or so back in 2012?