The Yol Bosun Grip Contest

climber511

28 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

Was that weight around 25 lbs or so back in 2012?

In Gripmas 2012 it was the exact setup as will be used this time. Weight depends how you measure it.  The " base" is two ten pounds hammers.  But if you weigh them on the scale you include the handles - bolts - and nuts etc.  The added weights are 6 - 1 1/4# plates (3 on each hammer) for 3.75# on each - times 2 it is 7.5# total in plates.   If you throw the whole thing on a scale it's just over 31 pounds.  But it's no where near as hard as two 16# hammers.  

t

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 2:41 PM, climber511 said:

I have decided to put on another Grip Contest over the winter (date not decided yet).  I messaged Tank and he thinks he’s moving his contest to spring so that helps.  Mostly my objective is to see what I can do in a contest setting at 75 years of age.  I don’t see any records being set but maybe some age related PRs on events I haven’t done in a while – plus I do miss the people and the atmosphere.  I wanted to do an Armlifting Comp this year and was set to go to the Arnold but then had surgery just before hand.  So I’m kicking around some way to incorporate lifts that would show how I might do if an Armlifting Comp popped up close by with events I like.  Events will be things I already own equipment wise.  The Arnold Armlifting events were 1.75” Rolling Handle - 1.9” Axle DL – and Saxon Barbell DL.  I’d like to get a sort of “baseline” of where I stand on these items. 

Possible events are:

Grippers will not be included – first I hate the things and second I only own a few anymore.  Sorry not sorry LOL.

Pinch – Probably the Euro and/or Saxon Barbell deadlift.

Axle DL – If I use a 1.9” bar it would show as a guideline for any Armlifting contest that I might do?  But wouldn’t count for Grip Sport records.  Still thinking on how to get the best of both???  Maybe pure Grip Sport items with the “after show” those 3 Armlifting events as a “test” which is all I care about anyway.  Wouldn't be a part of the actual contest.

I think levering is a vastly unappreciated test in Grip Sport – and an event that was only held at Gripmas was the “Supported sledge levering” event – either for Max Weight or Max Reps with a fixed weight.  It seemed popular with people (somewhat hard to train but not all that difficult to set something up to train with).  If contested it will probably be held last as it fries you pretty good.  Also thinking about Weaver Stick - I'll decide later but in time for you to train for it.

A 20 or so item Medley is probably a given – items will be posted in advance for fairness as much as possible.

Events are certainly not decided yet so I’ll listen to feedback.   Except I will not be purchasing any more “stuff”.

Date will be posted as soon as I figure things out.

This sounds cool. I’m about 2.5 hours from you and may be able to make it. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Have done a couple event training sessions for the comp - very light (not on purpose) as part of my regular training.  Hope everyone planning to attend is working towards a PR performance - we have a couple months to get ready.  Everything seems heavier than it used to LOL.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 3

For anyone wanting an idea of what the Yol Bosun Medley might look like - there's what it looked like in 2011.  Not everything below will be included this time but it might give you an idea of what to train.

2011 Gripmas Medley
2 3/8” Long Bar lift 
1.9" Wrist Roller lift 
2” Handle Dumbbell 
Inch Replica Dumbbell - plate loaded or (Real Inch)
The Gracie Dumbbell (2 3/8" handle) - 146#
2 3/8" DB Handle 
40# York Blob
45# York Blob
50# York Blob
58# round block weight
3 – 25# Standard Plates on a bar 
3 - 25# Olympic Plate Pinch
Pinch Two Wide 35# plates 
Pinch Lift    2 Narrow 45s
4" Pinch Block
Flask two hand
Saxon Bar - 3" x 4"
Saxon Bar - 2" x 5"
¼” Key Pinch on 1/4" plate – 
5 -5K plates
Plywood Lift 
Tractor Weight 
10# & 12 # Slim Lever on Blue Mat 
16 - 20# Sledge Lever - to face
Inside sledge rotational lever on floor
Outside sledge rotational lever on floor
Nicks Anvil by tail - double anvils by tail
Broom Walk
6" Reverse Bend - Blue Nail (Leathers)
Braced Bend 3/8" Square x 14" (leathers)
Vertical bars 1/2" chin up
Campus Board chin up - small rungs
Nate's big plates pinch - two hands 
Sledge coin load
Gripper Strap Hold Loads - MMS and choked to parallel
Gripper MMS Closes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

About a month to get your entries in - (December 15th) so I can get trophies made up - especially any ladies who plan on competing.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, climber511 said:

About a month to get your entries in - (December 15th) so I can get trophies made up - especially any ladies who plan on competing.  

I'm pretty sure I sent my Paypal but I can't recall if there was a form, or if I did it.  I'm definitely in.

Yol Bolsun Grip Contest Entry Form

Name and Gripboard Name:

Age (if you're a Masters lifter)

Email Address and cell phone # :  you can PM this if you’d rather not post it here – I just need contact info in case of emergency.  Cell phone number works well.

Expected weight class: Lightweight / Heavyweight – or light weight competing in Open – or Female - to be determined at weigh in of course.  IGS weight classes will be used for record purposes.

First time or veteran competitor?  Doesn’t mean anything – I’m just curious is all.

You can email or Paypal me at crice511@yahoo.com

You can email it to me or USPS a the form and a check – send the info – send the money somehow and we’re good to go.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Yol Bolsun Grip Contest Entry Form

Name and Gripboard Name:

Age (if you're a Masters lifter)

Email Address and cell phone # :  you can PM this if you’d rather not post it here – I just need contact info in case of emergency.  Cell phone number works well.

Expected weight class: Lightweight / Heavyweight – or light weight competing in Open – or Female - to be determined at weigh in of course.  IGS weight classes will be used for record purposes.

First time or veteran competitor?  Doesn’t mean anything – I’m just curious is all.

You can email or Paypal me at crice511@yahoo.com

You can email it to me or USPS a the form and a check – send the info – send the money somehow and we’re good to go.

Vincent Rivellese, "Vinnie" on GripBoard, age 54, Lightweight (83kg), it feels weird to call myself a "veteran" competitor because I still feel like a newbie but I think by now I am veteran.  I sent the paypal and will email you my cellphone number now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Vincent Rivellese, "Vinnie" on GripBoard, age 54, Lightweight (83kg), it feels weird to call myself a "veteran" competitor because I still feel like a newbie but I think by now I am veteran.  I sent the paypal and will email you my cellphone number now.

You're all set!

• Like 1

I just started looking at a 2024 calendar and realized January 14th is a Sunday.  Prior to actually looking at a calendar, I was assuming that date was a Saturday.  Just want to make sure I ask for the correct days off work.  Chris, could you please verify that the contest is on that Sunday?  Thank you and I apologize if this is a silly question.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, IROC-Z said:

I just started looking at a 2024 calendar and realized January 14th is a Sunday.  Prior to actually looking at a calendar, I was assuming that date was a Saturday.  Just want to make sure I ask for the correct days off work.  Chris, could you please verify that the contest is on that Sunday?  Thank you and I apologize if this is a silly question.

I'm sure Chris will give the definitive answer, but I noticed that too, and also noticed that it was MartIn Luther King Day the next day, so many people will be off Monday (but obviously not everyone). 

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

Sorry for the delay but my computer died and I just now got my new one up and running.  I chose this particular Sunday this time because I figured people might not have to miss any work due to drive times - drive here on Sat - compete Sunday - drive home on Monday (holiday).  If you didn't catch this I'm sorry - I was trying to save people a day off is all.  If this doesn't work for you and you have already paid - I will gladly refund.

Also please remember deadline to sign up is December 15 - after that cost goes up.  I'm having the trophies "made" so please get entries in - especially for woman class as only one signed up so far and I need 3 for trophies.  PM or email me for Pay Pal address or USPS mailing address etc.  

• Like 3

Name and Gripboard Name: Tom Flesher

Age (if you're a Masters lifter) 41, not masters

Email Address and cell phone # :  traveling with Vinnie but I’ll PM this to you 

Expected weight class: Heavyweight 

First time or veteran competitor?  veteran who lifts like a rookie

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

Name and Gripboard Name: Tom Flesher

Age (if you're a Masters lifter) 41, not masters

Email Address and cell phone # :  traveling with Vinnie but I’ll PM this to you 

Expected weight class: Heavyweight 

First time or veteran competitor?  veteran who lifts like a rookie

Whoo hoo!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

By the way, I’m traveling with you. 

That was always the plan!  Glad you found out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

I'm a bit out of practice. If I train with a Flask, that's closer to 58mm, correct?

Very close, flask is ~57.15mm

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

I'm a bit out of practice. If I train with a Flask, that's closer to 58mm, correct?

Very close to 58mm width and for me at least I can do a little more weight on the Euro than I do on the flask - BUT my best width on pinch is at 52mm.  Not a lot of difference but some.  You'll have opportunity during the Euro event to do "WARMUPS" as the weight goes up so you'll be better able to choose your lifts.  Start with a "sure thing" and go from there.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

I just sold my Euro in October ...

Let me know if you want company for a flask workout.  I have one, but I probably won't be motivated to train at my place because it will have to be outside and it is getting cold.

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I just sold my Euro in October ...

Let me know if you want company for a flask workout.  I have one, but I probably won't be motivated to train at my place because it will have to be outside and it is getting cold.

fill that flask with brandy that should keep you warm.

• Like 1

The Yol Bosun Grip Contest
Held by Climber511 (Chris Rice)
This will be a sanctioned contest so all results will count.
Date: January 14th - 2024
Time: Weigh in starts at 8am (before breakfast). Breakfast will be served starting at 8am – warmups and general visiting starts whenever – 10 am contest start – runs until ??? Various challenges and showing off will be held in the after contest time.
Cost: $35 in advance Paypal (PM for address) or check by December 15 (in time to get Trophies made up) - $40 at the door.
Classes : A throwback to the Original Gripmas Carol contests. Lightweight and Open – dividing line is 207 - 208#. 208# or over is Open. Trophy’s for 1-2-3 each. You can “choose” to compete in the open class regardless of bodyweight. Women are welcome but no trophies unless at least 3 are competing (must be signed up in advance so I can get trophies done up). Grip Sport Records/Results can of course be set for any actual Grip Sport weight class or division to be entered into the database. Scoring will be percentage based. If anyone wants to do a Strongman or Reverse Strongman system on the side that might be fun (but not official).
Events: 4 Attempts. All warm ups will be on same apparatus and done between other attempts. One shot on Medley and Sledge.
1.75” Rolling Handle – rising bar
Euro Pinch – 2 widths only – 52 and 58mm - same apparatus so same surface for all. Thicker width will go first. Rising bar.
IM Axle DL – Rising bar
Medley – 20+ items – reverse order of placement after first three events.
2 Hand Sledge Lever – Supported at shoulder height position (will be adjustable) – Max Reps with fixed weight. Dead stop at bottom of each rep – heels must remain on floor – may shrug shoulders. Reverse order after first 4 events. I’ll post the rule set and a video as many have never seen this event unless you were here for it before. It’s the same weight we had before and everyone did OK with it.
Entries are due by December 15!
  • Like 2

Yol Bolsun Grip Contest Updates

My plan was to use my 1.75” homemade Rolling Handle – thanks to Jason Dingey we will use an official Country Crush 1.75” Raptor Handle.

If anyone coming has an Inch Dumbbell – please bring it for the Medley – if not we’ll use a loadable handle at the same weight.

If anyone knows any women who lift it would be nice if you could talk them into competing – there is only one lady entered and we need 3 in a class before I will give out trophies.

Otherwise things are shaping up nicely.  Remember Dec 15 is the entry deadline at $35.

• Like 1

Signups for $35 are over - we have 13 men and 1 woman signed up.  There are a few others who "said" they are coming but no money yet so can't count them.  If you are coming please get the entries in )$40 now) - we have to buy the food for breakfast and need a count.

• Like 2