The Yol Bosun Grip Contest

climber511

20 hours ago, climber511 said:

Signups for $35 are over - we have 13 men and 1 woman signed up.  There are a few others who "said" they are coming but no money yet so can't count them.  If you are coming please get the entries in )$40 now) - we have to buy the food for breakfast and need a count.

Small for you, but not that small for a grip comp, and hopefully still a few more will pony up and show up.  Anthony C., Tom F., and I are coming from NY in my car - we are trying to close the deal on bringing one more with us.  Is there anyplace local you could put up a sign or two that might bring a straggler newbie or two in?  Or a post on Next Door Crooksville or something?  lol

Looking forward to it, even with no grippers (or just a couple in the medley) lol.

12-19-23
Warmup - overall and grip
Today was a run through the entire Medley possibilities - I have 54 items laid out to choose from. Going to narrow that down some of course.
8 Grippers Smile - some to close and some choked to strap load to a bench - hardest is a 175# in a choker to strap hold load.
Blocks - Blobs etc
Misc pinches
A bunch of fat bar stuff
4 to 6 sledges
a bunch of misc "stuff"
I need to adjust the weights both up and down - I want maybe a 4h to be possible by most anyone - a 4th by average grip guys - a 4th by stronger grip guys and a 4th only by the monsters
Still working out the Ladies Medley - only one signed up so far.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

8 Grippers Smile - some to close and some choked to strap load to a bench - hardest is a 175# in a choker to strap hold load.

:)   :)  :)  

• Like 1

For anyone coming - if you have an actual Inch DB or a 20# Sledge Hammer please bring them along for the Medley.

Brian is making the Trophies right now.  I hope everyone likes them - gonna be a little different.  

1-2-3 Open Class

1-2-3 Light weight Class

Yol Bolsun Award - a sort of Best Lifter - most Impressive performance - tried the hardest type thing - it will be voted on by all competitors.  Not just who is the strongest etc. although that's possible.  Most votes wins it.  

Only one Female is signed up so no Trophy but I'll do something for her.  We need 3 in a class for Trophies. 

• Like 4

I have a 20# sledge head if anyone has a handle.  They could keep the completed hammer, I have 2-3 heads.

7 minutes ago, barbe705 said:

I have a 20# sledge head if anyone has a handle.  They could keep the completed hammer, I have 2-3 heads.

I'll buy a handle if you want to get rid of one of the heads.

I ordered a hammer handle today - should be in Friday they said.

So who all is signed up? 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:38 AM, climber511 said:

Signups for $35 are over - we have 13 men and 1 woman signed up.  There are a few others who "said" they are coming but no money yet so can't count them.  If you are coming please get the entries in )$40 now) - we have to buy the food for breakfast and need a count.

Following up on Jedd's question, I am also curious who's coming.  I know I am one of those 13; and as far as I know, I am driving Anthony C. and Tom F. from NY, but not sure if they were already part of the 13 or signed up since, and who else has jumped in.  I am really looking forward to this, even though no grippers lol.  And I am not at all in shape.  And instead of having a shot at making the 74kg weight class, I better watch it or I might not even make 83kg lol.  I'm 82.5 today ...

As of today - 1-6-24 this is what I have - not positive on Open / Lightweight until weigh ins of course.  Be aware that for record purposes the 93K class limit is 205# but lightweight for the contest is 207#.

25 minutes ago, climber511 said:

image.png.8cc43babd020013d3c5c94f01d23b001.png

What's "Son"?

Just now, Vinnie said:

What's "Son"?

Also there's only one "s" in my last name, but I don't think I will be setting any records or placing here lol.  

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Also there's only one "s" in my last name, but I don't think I will be setting any records or placing here lol.  

Son means two people are bringing their son so I have to include breakfast for them - just need a count to buy food - they are not competing.  That is just for my use.

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

Son means two people are bringing their son so I have to include breakfast for them - just need a count to buy food - they are not competing.  That is just for my use.

Oh, ok.  Confused me because I actually WAS trying to get my son to come, and thought maybe I had mentioned that to you, but he decided not to.  Bastid.

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Oh, ok.  Confused me because I actually WAS trying to get my son to come, and thought maybe I had mentioned that to you, but he decided not to.  Bastid.

You did mention it and he is one of the "sons" I listed - no problem either way.

Yol Bolsun – nearly everyone who has signed up so far has competed before but for the novices – please read.  Of course, I’ll go over all the rules before we start. 

NAGS general rules and event specific rules will apply.  Rising Bar and 4 attempts except Sledge and Medley – which is one time through.  Warm ups will be done as we go along and on the competition implements but you have to state “warm up” beforehand or it will count as a lift.

·        Only powdered or block chalk permitted – no liquid chalk.  I will furnish chalk enough for the comp – if you want to use your own – I’ll just have to check it is all.  We’ll go over the seasoning and what’s allowed as to “cleaning” bars – plates etc.

·        Knee sleeves – all kinds of belts – and elbow sleeves permitted.  No wrist wraps or finger wrappings except to cover broken skin.  No gloves during events but feel free to keep your hands warm in between.  I keep the gym at 62 degrees so dress accordingly.  It Will get warmer with all the people in there.

·        Minimum footwear is socks.

My additional notes

·        Weigh in starts at 8am – breakfast also - come earlier if you want.  I have lots of weights – rack etc. for a general warmup as soon as breakfast is over – do whatever you need to get warmed up and ready – squats etc.  I request name tags – it’s always better than “hey you”.  I’ll go over the rules for each event as we go along – please read all the NAGS rules ahead of time. 

·        Everyone must wash their hands before the comp – I will furnish a tub of hand wipes or you can use soap and water etc.  Mandatory!  Grease on your hands won’t help you or the rest of us much.

·        Gripsport Rules do NOT allow for extra attempts for record purposes – but I will allow them simply for PR purposes – having a room full of witnesses makes for a very credible lift.

·        We will be using Percentage Scoring.  If someone wants to do Strongman – feel free but it won’t be official.  Event results will be kept on paper as we go – then put into the computer so we have a double check.  We’ll do our best to keep results up to date as we go.  The plan is to use a TV so results can actually be seen as we go along.

·        There will be one reverse bend in the Medley – I will furnish the steel and leather wraps for it.  ¼” x 6” (Blue Nail) for men and 3/16” square x 6” for women.  You do your own wrapping.  It’s the Medley so the judge will say good or not – won’t measure them.

·        It seems half the people I see out these days are “carrying”.  Please not at the contest – I’ll be happy to lock anything you want in the safe in the house during the event.

·        The venue is small – seating is very limited – just be aware.

·        If you are bringing anything heavy for the contest (Inch DB etc.) you can drive up the alley to unload and it’s only a few feet into the gym – from out front it’s a long carry.  There’s no parking out back.

·        I ask that everyone pitch in and help load – move things around – and in general help out.  I’m getting too old to do it all.   This has never been a problem – grip guys are awesome!

·        Limited parking on the street (one side only) – there is a Funeral Home parking lot across the street we have permission to use. There is a house number (230) on my porch mailbox and a white fence in the front.  Just come in the front door when you get here.  The gym is in the back.  Fifth house from the west corner on the north side of the street.

·        Please bring drinks in Bottles – cans get spilled and I’m the cleanup guy.  A thermos style cup with a lid for the coffee is also a good idea – the coffeepot will be going all day – we don’t have enough insulated cups for everyone.  We will have regular coffee, half & half, and sugar – bottled water – and some “pop” or “soda” – whatever you call it.  No alcohol until the meet portion is over – then fine for the “after meet” time.  Bring your own lunch or snacks.  Anything you want to do in the “after meet” bring it along – Grippers - horseshoes – bending stock – extra hard Blobs or odd objects etc. – etc. etc.  Lots of witnesses to your “feats”.  Its show off and testing time!

·        Pictures and video are fine – please share when you’re done.  Please help me remember to get a group photo.

·        If you have any diet restrictions for breakfast, we need to know it ahead of time so we can adapt.

·         

• Like 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

image.png.8cc43babd020013d3c5c94f01d23b001.png

@JHenze646 HEY - where's your name?

Does anyone need/want equipment that I can bring out so you wouldnt have to pay shipping? Let me know ASAP. 

• Like 1

This is what I plan on having with me (2-3 of each)

Napalm Nightmare with 2 3/8, 2, pinch blocks 2x5 and 3x4 (2 sets of each)

Various Loading Pins

Finish Ball trainer

thumb blaster (1 5/8, 2)

wrist wrench 2” and 2 3/8”

inch pinch

shallow inch pinch

double shallow inch pin

saxon bar 3x4

saxon 2x5 stubby

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks Lucas - I've wanted to try out the NN.  I've also had two more say they are coming - Rob Synder and his wife - both competing.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Thanks Lucas - I've wanted to try out the NN.  I've also had two more say they are coming - Rob Synder and his wife - bot competing.

Paul knight and his buddy may come down but not 100% on that.

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Paul knight and his buddy may come down but not 100% on that.

Awesome! - haven't seen Paul in quite a while - looking like quite the crowd!

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1