The Yol Bosun Grip Contest

climber511

On 12/27/2023 at 10:18 AM, climber511 said:

For anyone coming - if you have an actual Inch DB or a 20# Sledge Hammer please bring them along for the Medley.

Reach out to Jason Dingey.  He just acquired (inches or Holles) a bunch recently. 

Edited by Leonard_Washington
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Reach out to Jason Dingey.  He just acquired (inches or Holles) a bunch recently. 

I’ll bring one, if you’ll lift it.

Looks like it's going to be cold as hell for the contest - dress accordingly!

10 hours ago, climber511 said:

Looks like it's going to be cold as hell for the contest - dress accordingly!

That means skimpy shorts and no shirt (I need to make weight)!  I'm lightweight for this competition either way, but I want my numbers to go in the 83kg class section of the database, where they will look more respectable than in the 93kg class lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

That means skimpy shorts and no shirt (I need to make weight)!  I'm lightweight for this competition either way, but I want my numbers to go in the 83kg class section of the database, where they will look more respectable than in the 93kg class lol.

LOL the gym itself has heat - but the restroom is in the house or use Port a let I'm putting out back so ........  Weigh in will be in the house prior to breakfast so you can strip down as needed.  We have a pretty good breakfast planned - you'll want to weigh in first.  

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, climber511 said:

LOL the gym itself has heat - but the restroom is in the house or use Port a let I'm putting out back so ........  Weigh in will be in the house prior to breakfast so you can strip down as needed.  We have a pretty good breakfast planned - you'll want to weigh in first.  

Maybe you can give me a tip or two on the Euro.  I know it won't change much in a minute or two, but I am so tantalizingly close to 200 (i've gotten air on it twice), it would be a hoot to finally get it.  comp PR 194 as of now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Maybe you can give me a tip or two on the Euro.  I know it won't change much in a minute or two, but I am so tantalizingly close to 200 (i've gotten air on it twice), it would be a hoot to finally get it.  comp PR 194 as of now.

Well in 40 minutes of Euro coaching I got Kody something like 40-50# so there's that LOL

• Like 2

The snow/weather conditions in WI and IL for the next couple days are more than likely going to force me to alter my travel plans, but unless something goes horribly wrong, my son and I are still planning to be there Sunday morning. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

The snow/weather conditions in WI and IL for the next couple days are more than likely going to force me to alter my travel plans, but unless something goes horribly wrong, my son and I are still planning to be there Sunday morning. 

Be safe - whether you can come or not!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Well in 40 minutes of Euro coaching I got Kody something like 40-50# so there's that LOL

Well if you can get me 6 pounds in 6 minutes that'd do it ...

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Well if you can get me 6 pounds in 6 minutes that'd do it ...

That should be doable - honestly.   Have you ever worked with Jedd or anyone on technique before?

Edited by climber511

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

That should be doable - honestly.   Have you ever worked with Jedd or anyone on technique before?

No.  I've heard the frontline advice (flare lats, lean forward over Euro, make like you are bending it).  But I don't really ever get a chance to train it.  I've found my numbers going up gradually over the years (from 180-ish to 195-ish) as my gripper closes got better, not from training pinch.

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

No.  I've heard the frontline advice (flare lats, lean forward over Euro, make like you are bending it).  But I don't really ever get a chance to train it.  I've found my numbers going up gradually over the years (from 180-ish to 195-ish) as my gripper closes got better, not from training pinch.

I have found technique is a really big deal on the Euro.  You've got the cues right - we just need to get you doing them better.

• Like 1

Yol Bolsun
Anyone coming - you are welcome to stop in Saturday evening to visit - check out the venue and equipment etc.
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, climber511 said:
Yol Bolsun
Anyone coming - you are welcome to stop in Saturday evening to visit - check out the venue and equipment etc.

how late will you be there?  coming from NY so not sure we will make it before its too late ...

I'll go to bed around 11 or so.  Just give me a call when you know about what time you'll be here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

how late will you be there?  coming from NY so not sure we will make it before its too late ...

Safe travels to you guys!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, climber511 said:

Be safe - whether you can come or not!

We are currently under a blizzard warning here in WI.  Looks like it should be much better by tomorrow morning around 6am.  Current plan is for my son and I to head out around 7am tomorrow as long as conditions look safe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

We are currently under a blizzard warning here in WI.  Looks like it should be much better by tomorrow morning around 6am.  Current plan is for my son and I to head out around 7am tomorrow as long as conditions look safe.

Be careful!  Safe travels!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, climber511 said:

Be careful!  Safe travels!

Chris, just want to give you a heads up.  It's not looking good at all for me to travel tomorrow.  So far, we've had 10" of snow here and we are predicted to get another several inches tonight.  Barring some type of miracle, I'm going to say it's doubtful my son and I are going to risk making the drive.  Looks like it would be a bit better once we hit the Chicago area, but that is 3 hours from where we live.  My son is completely gutted right now, this would have been his first contest.  I'm very sorry to do this to you.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, IROC-Z said:

Chris, just want to give you a heads up.  It's not looking good at all for me to travel tomorrow.  So far, we've had 10" of snow here and we are predicted to get another several inches tonight.  Barring some type of miracle, I'm going to say it's doubtful my son and I are going to risk making the drive.  Looks like it would be a bit better once we hit the Chicago area, but that is 3 hours from where we live.  My son is completely gutted right now, this would have been his first contest.  I'm very sorry to do this to you.

First of all - you're not doing this "to me" - mother nature just threw a monkey wrench into your plans.  And for that I am extremely sorry.  But I'd rather this than to find out you and your son were in a bad wreck trying to get here.  There will be another opportunity.  

• Like 2

And for everyone traveling Tomorrow - please be extra careful - it's not predicted to be bad here - just windy and cold - be careful out there!  Safe travels!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, climber511 said:

First of all - you're not doing this "to me" - mother nature just threw a monkey wrench into your plans.  And for that I am extremely sorry.  But I'd rather this than to find out you and your son were in a bad wreck trying to get here.  There will be another opportunity.  

I hear you, but I still feel awful.  It's pretty much unheard of nowadays to hold an "old school" type of contest like this....especially one with a sledge levering event, and I really wanted to be there to support you.  Best wishes to you, all the other competitors, and to anybody else helping out with the contest.

• Like 3

Well Yol Bolsun is over and I survived.  I had a great time and a great battle between Clint and I in the lightweight class.  More details tomorrow after my hands quit cramping.  Luke won the Open and I won the Lightweight.  Cliff Keiner won the Yol Bolsun Award voted on my all competitors.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 9

For anyone interested I have the Yol Bolsun scoresheet - if you want it send me your email address and a request

• Like 1