Journey To The 3.5 Cert - dubyagrip

dubyagrip

Really nice! @dubyagrip what does your current training routine looks like. How do you combine grippers with general strenght work, or do you only train grip at the moment?

9 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Really nice! @dubyagrip what does your current training routine looks like. How do you combine grippers with general strenght work, or do you only train grip at the moment?

Check the training update video in this thread, I get pretty detailed on my program.  Not trying to avoid your question, I just think its the best way I could describe it.

I'm doing pinch work, deadlifting, and squatting.  I can't do any other upper body work with my current gripper workload.  The recovery would take too long, and I wouldn't achieve my goals on my timeline.

I'm about to start my springtime cut after putting some size on my biceps over the winter, so I will likely have to reduce my workload even more with the extra cardio and limited caloric intake.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Check the training update video in this thread, I get pretty detailed on my program.  Not trying to avoid your question, I just think its the best way I could describe it.

I'm doing pinch work, deadlifting, and squatting.  I can't do any other upper body work with my current gripper workload.  The recovery would take too long, and I wouldn't achieve my goals on my timeline.

I'm about to start my springtime cut after putting some size on my biceps over the winter, so I will likely have to reduce my workload even more with the extra cardio and limited caloric intake.

Thanks!

Here are my Mash Monster attempts and a funny training blooper...

• Like 6

Way cool , that’s giving it your all plus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I continued my slight detour and conquered the MM2...

• Like 6

Great job dude. I loved the TNS attempt, that was badass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats dude strong close. Any plan for the mm3 yet?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Congrats dude strong close. Any plan for the mm3 yet?

I hear its 180-183...

I can do 180 from about 20mm.  I will try in a few weeks.  I'm hoping to 3.5 cert with Ironmind at the end of the month, but with the competition I did and the MMs...it might be mid-April.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I hear its 180-183...

I can do 180 from about 20mm.  I will try in a few weeks.  I'm hoping to 3.5 cert with Ironmind at the end of the month, but with the competition I did and the MMs...it might be mid-April.

Nice dude 3.5 cert would be huge. You’ll get it. I wanna try the 3 cert eventually but I dunno I was planning on doing my cobalt from a credit card set before attempting it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nuttgens said:

Nice dude 3.5 cert would be huge. You’ll get it. I wanna try the 3 cert eventually but I dunno I was planning on doing my cobalt from a credit card set before attempting it. 

If you can credit card 150 now, I would bet money you would successfully cert.  The gripper I trained with rated at 148 after I certified, and the cert gripper I was sent rated at 151.

What is your cobalt rated?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

If you can credit card 150 now, I would bet money you would successfully cert.  The gripper I trained with rated at 148 after I certified, and the cert gripper I was sent rated at 151.

What is your cobalt rated?

Cobalt is 162 my ghp7 and coc 3 both unrated but the 3 is harder than the 7 and I can ccs it every attempt but I have no clue what it rates. Ideally o would have a heavier rated 3 to see where I am at but to save money I was hoping to just get a ccs out of my cobalt. That’s been harder than I had expected though haha.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nuttgens said:

Cobalt is 162 my ghp7 and coc 3 both unrated but the 3 is harder than the 7 and I can ccs it every attempt but I have no clue what it rates. Ideally o would have a heavier rated 3 to see where I am at but to save money I was hoping to just get a ccs out of my cobalt. That’s been harder than I had expected though haha.

Right on.  Yeah, it is a bit nerve-wracking to not know what rating you're closing.  Luckily, I wasn't all about RGC back when I certified, or I probably would have psyched myself out.  Based on what you're telling me, I believe your #3 is at least 145, probably closer to 150.  There's no reason to rush, if you CCS that cobalt, you're already halfway to the 3.5.

Keep training.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dubyagrip said:

Right on.  Yeah, it is a bit nerve-wracking to not know what rating you're closing.  Luckily, I wasn't all about RGC back when I certified, or I probably would have psyched myself out.  Based on what you're telling me, I believe your #3 is at least 145, probably closer to 150.  There's no reason to rush, if you CCS that cobalt, you're already halfway to the 3.5.

Keep training.

Thanks man yeah that’s the way I see if if I can ccs the cobalt I can handle any gripper they send me. Plus I don’t know how I’ll be with nerves the day of trying to get it filmed good so the more over confident the better. I am pretty patient and never in a huge rush for anything anyways. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way cool 😎 super strong 

• Like 2

Epic, great job man!

Also, a 3.5 cert would be huge. So few people have done it - only 21 people in history. Excited to see that whenever it happens.

Also, a potential CoC 4 cert attempt from Ivan sometime in the future, whenever that may be, would be incredible as well. Seems like he's getting fairly close with his 212 RGC close on the Larry Wheels video, but he still may be months or years away from an official CCS attempt. Here's a screenshot from the moment his setting hand releases, looks a bit narrower than CCS, but wider than parallel.

IvanCuk212RGCCoC4closesetposition.png.2ac6ecd9673187e0c4549e2e341779ab.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Epic, great job man!

Also, a 3.5 cert would be huge. So few people have done it - only 21 people in history. Excited to see that whenever it happens.

Also, a potential CoC 4 cert attempt from Ivan sometime in the future, whenever that may be, would be incredible as well. Seems like he's getting fairly close with his 212 RGC close on the Larry Wheels video, but he still may be months or years away from an official CCS attempt. Here's a screenshot from the moment his setting hand releases, looks a bit narrower than CCS, but wider than parallel.

IvanCuk212RGCCoC4closesetposition.png.2ac6ecd9673187e0c4549e2e341779ab.png

He's actually alot closer than you think, His current PR is 5 CCS reps on a 180 rated 3.5 which is absolutely nutty

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

He's actually alot closer than you think, His current PR is 5 CCS reps on a 180 rated 3.5 which is absolutely nutty

I believe it! If anyone can do it soon, I believe it's him. The only foreseeable roadblock would be the unlucky event of getting sent a really heavy 4 for the cert (218-224 RGC for example). But he'd likely still get that eventually. He's only 19 or 20 years old I believe.

• Like 3

I don't think I've ever stated it but certifying on the #4 is the ultimate goal.  I have total confidence that I will do it.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I don't think I've ever stated it but certifying on the #4 is the ultimate goal.  I have total confidence that I will do it.

I do too.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I do too.

Thanks bud, I try not to talk too much.  Glad others believe it too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

Yea dude you got this would love to see a member on here cert the 4!

• Thanks 1