Getting older (log)

Itchyban

Hi,

my name is Simon. I’m 37 years old and located in Austria.

My best lifts in my 20s at a BW of about 100kg

Deadlift 260kg

Squat 5x200kg

Push Press 110kg

I previously did some grip training for fun, but not that serious.

My Grip-Goals:

Closing the CoC#3

Lifting the Inch Dumbbell

Pinch lift 2x20kg Plates

This log is mainly for keeping track on my progress, but I’m open for suggestions on optimizing my routine.

Thanks.

Edited by Itchyban
  • Like 6

Todays workout:

Standing Axle Press 1x60kg

Squat 5x102.5kg

Rolling Handle

5x25 3x35 3x45 1x55 1x65.5/60.5kg

Holle Dumbbell (first time)

5x15 5x17,5 5x20 5x22,5kg

Wrist Curls (Axle+Landmine)

10x15 8x20 12x7,5 20x5kg

• Like 6

Still in your prime. Keep at it, take it slow, warm up and you will get your goals I'm sure.

8 hours ago, Busa said:

Still in your prime. Keep at it, take it slow, warm up and you will get your goals I'm sure.

Thanks, any tips on the warm up part?

A piece of advice from an old guy - write this all down and NEVER throw it away.  50 - 60 years from now you'll really enjoy looking back at the journey!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

A piece of advice from an old guy - write this all down and NEVER throw it away.  50 - 60 years from now you'll really enjoy looking back at the journey!

Still young at 53, I had all my logs from teens 20s all bound with loads of notes / on how I felt ect.. A few years ago binned the lot, for how little space they took wish I'd kept them now.

9 hours ago, Itchyban said:

Thanks, any tips on the warm up part?

When I noticed your CoC3 goal I just posted as have read so many logs here were people have had a set back due to pushing too hard too fast. Plus with all the arm lifting can tax your body / joints.

My warm ups are mainly whole body but I do a lot for shoulders at present. As ex forces and now a mechanic working with arms overhead often I have started to find a few issues.

I read a training log here with someone using wooden clubs and have started using a pair of them. I do videos to check technique boy do I look ridiculous in some of the moves but it does help "lube the joints" I also like dexterity balls again for shoulders / arms try my hand at juggling. I did try sand but too firm have a bit of rice in a wash up bowl that helps keep my hands moving.

Lower part of the body like kettle bell movements  - Get ups, swings, squats, with very light cheap  bell to get core and legs moving.

• Like 3

Warm up with some Indian Clubs and a bucket of rice.

close grip floor press (Axle) 5x70kg

curls with triceps bar (fat gripz) 5x40kg

Grip Machine negatives

20 singles with 60kg

Short cardio session + extension bands

Edited by Itchyban
  • Like 3

On 6/13/2022 at 1:24 AM, Busa said:

Still young at 53

Same age as me.  I started only about 5 years ago though, so nothing to look back on, ONLY FORWARD!  I will have to start logging.  The only thing I logged was on here for  bit while I was chasing the COC 3 cert.  I need to set a new goal and also start logging.  It is motivating, and as you guys have been saying, I might want to see it when I am older.

• Like 2

CLIMBER511 is right on, write it all down 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Same age as me.  I started only about 5 years ago though, so nothing to look back on, ONLY FORWARD!  I will have to start logging.  The only thing I logged was on here for  bit while I was chasing the COC 3 cert.  I need to set a new goal and also start logging.  It is motivating, and as you guys have been saying, I might want to see it when I am older.

I started with grippers just before my first Gulf tour as something I could take in my back pack. Back then I closed the CoC 2 out the packet. Only started again during the covid lock-downs  its then I realized I had lost strength its odd how you don't notice until you try to do things you used to be able to do that you might be getting a bit weaker with age. I look at you as my motivation Vinnie really pushing for a fit before 55 most of the problems are more mental than physical sorry to say. But the bunch on this site are so great always willing and pushing others with never a bad word, could not ask for a better place to hang out.

• Like 3

Just now, Busa said:

I started with grippers just before my first Gulf tour as something I could take in my back pack. Back then I closed the CoC 2 out the packet. Only started again during the covid lock-downs  its then I realized I had lost strength its odd how you don't notice until you try to do things you used to be able to do that you might be getting a bit weaker with age. I look at you as my motivation Vinnie really pushing for a fit before 55 most of the problems are more mental than physical sorry to say. But the bunch on this site are so great always willing and pushing others with never a bad word, could not ask for a better place to hang out.

Yes this is a great site, i'm glad to be part of it. Nicest online community i've ever been a part of (guitarists and blacksmiths are a bunch of dinks for the most part)

I'm sure you will get all your strength back and them some... Good luck.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Busa said:

its then I realized I had lost strength

I actually feel stronger now than at any prior age (slower and dumber, but stronger!).  So it takes me forever to run to first base in softball, and I get out of breath walking up the stairs from the subway to the street, and I definitely don't feel as sharp mentally when confronted with complicated things.  But strength-wise I feel like I do at least as much as ever -- deadlifted over 300 for the first time in my life after age 50, bench pressed 200 for the first time in my life after age 50, certed the COC 3 after age 50.  I like to say that if I faced 25-year-old me in a fistfight, he'd better run, because I won't catch him but I'd kick his butt if I did.

However, I never worked out until my late 40s.  So my feeling stronger now might not be because I am naturally stronger at this age, but because I am fitter at this age.  Maybe if I had been working out way back then, I'd have been stronger than I am now.  But at least fitter old me is stronger than fatter young me; that much is true.

• Like 3

Just now, Vinnie said:

kick his butt

the site wouldn't let me write a** lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

the bunch on this site are so great always willing and pushing others with never a bad word

This is it in a nutshell.  The community is great.  On here and, if you get to comps, in person.  When you hang out with the grip bunch, you are just a bunch of folks who enjoy the quirky implements.  I kind of got the same vibe from arm wrestlers as well, but I found grip around the same time and this was a better fit for me.  I might try that again, too, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Itchyban said:

20 singles with 560kg

You'd better cert the COC4 right now while you still can ... unless you mean 56kg lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

You'd better cert the COC4 right now while you still can ... unless you mean 56kg lol

Supposed to mean 60kg, thanks.

• Like 1

Floor press 5x72.5kg

Deadlift 3x125kg

Two Hand Pinch

5x20 3x30 3x40 1x50 1x62.5kg

Two Hand Pinch Holds (ALAP)

1x50 1x43.75 1x37.5kg

Two Hand Pinch Swings

3x12x25kg

Thumbblaster 2”

5x15 5x17.5 5x20kg

• Like 6

Military Press 1x62.5kg

Squat 5x105kg

Rolling Handle

5x25 3x35 3x45 1x55 1x66/61kg failed both

Holle it up DB

5x15 5x17.5 5x20 5x22.5 5x25kg

Axle Landmine Wrist Curls

10x17.5 8x20 12x10 20x7.5kg

Edited by Itchyban
  • Like 4

Workout yesterday:

close grip bench 5x72.5kg

triceps bar hammer curls 5x42.5kg

COC#2.5 attempt

#2 10r #1.5 5l

#2.5 neg. 5r #2 neg 5l

Grip Machine neg. 5x60kg

#2 strap hold r #1.5 strap hold l ALAP

Extension bands

I don’t like the gripper workout as it is now. Got to change something…

• Like 4

Workout Thursday:

Floorpress 5x75kg

Deadlift 3x127.5kg

Two hands pinch lift

5x25 3x35 3x45 1x55 1x65kg fail

holds

52kg 45.5kg 39kg ALAP

swings

3x10x26kg

Thumbblaster

5x16kg 5x18.5kg 5x21kg

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, Itchyban said:

Military Press 1x62.5kg

Squat 5x105kg

Rolling Handle

5x25 3x35 3x45 1x55 1x66/61kg failed both

Holle it up DB

5x15 5x17.5 5x20 5x22.5 5x25kg

Axle Landmine Wrist Curls

10x17.5 8x20 12x10 20x7.5kg

Nice log mate. What’s the diameter of the of the Holle DB?

I’ve just had to YouTube it. Looks like a fun lift.

thanks. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Black Heart said:

Nice log mate. What’s the diameter of the of the Holle DB?

I’ve just had to YouTube it. Looks like a fun lift.

thanks. 

Thank you very much!

The Holle Dumbbell is 2" in diameter. It is fun, but a little hard on the skin on the thumbs. Got to develop some callus for protection. 

• Like 1

Military Press 1x65kg

Squat 5x107.5kg

Rolling Handle

5x25 3x35 3x45 1x55 1x63kg failed left

Holle Dumbbell

3x22.5kg 3x25kg 3x27.5kg 1x30kg failed left

Landmine wrist curls

10x17.5 8x22.5 12x10 20x7.5kg

This is the last week on the current program. After my holidays I will change it up a bit.

• Like 4