Masters of metal, agents of steel

David_wigren

5 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

10mm x 7" A2 from Horrido

20220917_142113.thumb.jpg.7b2c0f855adb655d34d8a9e219f0e5d4.jpg

nice bend nice shirt...  You guys look like you did some shrooms and bent some steel!🤣

• Haha 4

I can’t wait until I the shirt gets here! I’ll wear it proudly! Got one for my GF aswell and I’m totally going to force her to wear it 🤣

• Haha 5

• 5 weeks later...

Rated some steel using Iron Grip method. Results seem pretty consistent. All bent to 30 degrees (except for the 7mm)

7mm x 7" nail: 96kg (50 degree deflection)

8mm x 7" rebar: 125kg

7.6mm x 7" nail: 120kg

IM RedNail: 150kg

6mm x 6" G8 (207k): 150kg

8mm x 6" rebar: 145kg

I adjusted the length of the chain when rating the 6" bars so the angle of the chain relative to the steel would remain the same.

This particular G8 from WOG is notoriously hard!! 

Edited by bruce1337
  • Like 4

Haven't been bending as much as I'd like to lately, unfortunately these times have been very hard for me. I have been getting into horseshoes though. No clue what these kerckhaerts or st. Croix are, but I am starting to really like shoes.

Snapchat-1876447094.jpg

• Like 3

The picture is blurry, but it looks like it's says SX7. It's a good bend for a beginner 

• Like 2

My brothers of steel I have amazing news. My good friend and brother Ira Scalf bent this horrido A2 barehanded with 0 reference to technique. His family came from the same mountains as mine, but he's not related to me. However him and his brothers are family to me. He did the most impressive bed I've ever seen. He did this A2 DO/Heslep style. I am going to bring some steel to his house next weekend to test some things. He blew my mind when he bent this piece. 

Snapchat-901212726.jpg

Snapchat-1794180368.jpg

Snapchat-310847909.jpg

• Like 5

A2 Bend Barehanded and Heslep style? That is a world class bend. Have you posted the video yet?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

A2 Bend Barehanded and Heslep style? That is a world class bend. Have you posted the video yet?

I didn't get a video of the moment but I saw it with my own eyes. I am going to his house next weekend to have him try some other beds with proper technique. He blew my mind!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I didn't get a video of the moment but I saw it with my own eyes. I am going to his house next weekend to have him try some other beds with proper technique. He blew my mind!

That is freakin awesome! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

What does he do for work?

Those old school mountain  country folk are strong and very tough.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

What does he do for work?

Those old school mountain  country folk are strong and very tough.

Ira and I both deliver and install appliances. We both carry fridges upstairs and more. He has the thickest hands and fingers I've ever seen..

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

Ira and I both deliver and install appliances. We both carry fridges upstairs and more. He has the thickest hands and fingers I've ever seen..

That will build strength like no other. I’m guessing your from England. Lots of old houses there with steep stairs and narrow hallways. 

In Massachusetts we have some old houses but nothing like you guys. I’ve done my fair share and it can be tough moving stuff in old houses and buildings.

• Like 2

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

That will build strength like no other. I’m guessing your from England. Lots of old houses there with steep stairs and narrow hallways. 

In Massachusetts we have some old houses but nothing like you guys. I’ve done my fair share and it can be tough moving stuff in old houses and buildings.

I'm actually from metro Detroit. For those who do not know, Ira had his leg ran over by a semi truck. The doctor was amazed all 18 wheels didn't shatter his femur. He had a hole in his calf the size of a toilet paper roll that he had to clean every day. Ira is a man who overcame the odds and took care of his family. Truly a man's man!!! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Londonjoseph said:

I'm actually from metro Detroit. For those who do not know, Ira had his leg ran over by a semi truck. The doctor was amazed all 18 wheels didn't shatter his femur. He had a hole in his calf the size of a toilet paper roll that he had to clean every day. Ira is a man who overcame the odds and took care of his family. Truly a man's man!!! 

That’s incredible. Ira is one tough SOB.

Detroit or London, moving appliances isn’t easy.

• Like 1

Too cold to train outside so for the winter I'm gonna do some shoe bending.

Taking it seriously from now on. Hope to get on the Kerckhaert list 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, bruce1337 said:

Too cold to train outside so for the winter I'm gonna do some shoe bending.

Taking it seriously from now on. Hope to get on the Kerckhaert list 

you'll get on the list in no time!

I didn't think  the phrase"too cold" was you Swedes vocabulary.

17 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

you'll get on the list in no time!

I didn't think  the phrase"too cold" was you Swedes vocabulary.

haha well I'm not a natrual swede. Moved here like 5 years ago. But I need my hands as warm as possible when bending because cold hands makes me more susceptible to injury. And bending long bars is tought inside my small place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

haha well I'm not a natrual swede. Moved here like 5 years ago. But I need my hands as warm as possible when bending because cold hands makes me more susceptible to injury. And bending long bars is tought inside my small place.

I’m sure. I’m only kidding. Cold joints and cold steel don’t mix well. Plus colder steel is the harder it is to work. 

1 hour ago, Londonjoseph said:

ARF Silver barehanded. 5/16"x7" hot rolled steel. Felt very difficult.

Snapchat-56080554.jpg

That was incredible! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That was incredible! 

Thank you. This is my first legitimate barehand bend. I might buy more HRS at this size and try it a bit more 

• Like 1

Just now, Londonjoseph said:

Thank you. This is my first legitimate barehand bend. I might buy more HRS at this size and try it a bit more 

You did a great job.

Barehanded bending is something I  really want to do, but nothing over the top I don't want to destroy my hands.. Right now for the rest of the year, since I have like 1500 60ds an 1000 60d spirals i'm going to use less and less padding every week or so and try and toughen my hands up and focus on my technique..  I'l also cut them down to 5.5" and 5".... 

Beginning of the year i'll switch back to suedes and take on some harder stock.  I like the suede wraps way better than IMP... But i'm finding my technique is more important when using IMP... So, i'd just like to form good habits early on.. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am alive, here is a KOAB attempt. Took it past the kink and into the sweep within 22 seconds. Didn't get much more movement afterwards and got to 4.5" total. I haven't been bending as much as I would like to. It took me a very long time to overcome a Vicodin addiction and deal with withdrawals. I am happy where I'm at though, and I'm certain I will progress even further beyond. 

Snapchat-315624663.jpg

• Like 1