• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilentDude

• thomas straub

• Strong Man

• Jonathan McMillan

Hi do the KTA program and mybe your do the #4 before the New Year?

It is a kick ass program

• 2 weeks later...

I would try Westside barbell training like a previous member suggested. Add some kneeling squats and some heavy goodmornings and you could possibly add 50lbs to your deadlift in a month or so. Reverse hypers also but those are hard to explain, you would have to watch the video or have a special machine. Ever do lockouts? deadlifts off a box? Speed deadlifts? Box squats?Using chains or jumpstrecth bands. These are all Westside techniques and they work great if you do them correctly. Also cycle your routine every 3 weeks or so to not let your body get used to a certain scheme. Went from a 550 deadlift, 525 Squat, and 365 Bench to a 750 Deadlift, 700 Squat and 475 bench in about a year and a half. drink tons of skim milk, lean meat, protien power, whatever you can afford. Quality food will help infinately more than junk. Think before you put in in your mouth-"Is this going to benifit my goal?". For your goals I think the 600 deadlft and squat are very achieveable goals, many high schoolers in the nation can do these. The 500 bench is probably a bit much but shoot for it anyway.Maybe you could be the next phenom. Sorry about the long post.Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday We had the NC State 100% RAW Powerlifting Meet at Croatan High school (My school). All the rules were the same for any meet. Absolutly No akward Lockouts on bench, bouncing off chest ect. Lower the Bar in a controlled manner. Leave it on chest untill The spotter Says UP. there were many Records broken yesterday. A 18 Year old set a new national Record in his weight class and age group with a 1445 Total at 220. A squat of 530 and a never attempted deadlift of 600 lbs. Our school all in all placed first. I got 2nd in my weight (198)and age(16-17). With a 260 bench, 385 (breaking parallel squat) and a 425 Deadlift (I was spent by the time deadlift came around) The Kid who beat me benched 245 squated 440, and deadlifted 500. Had a Real Good time. Good experince. there were always 3 judges watching. While the president of The federation was announcing. I got to meet a bunch of legands there as well. I forgot the mans name, but I met a 540 Raw Benchpresser. He was one of the judges there. Let me tell you he wasnt much taller than me, but he had huge triceps and chest muscles. Almost Freakish. I think they said he was about 245. Anyway, It was all good fun... I felt like i could have done 275 in bench, But this is only my 2nd time, I still need to measure and find out how much weight to add and still be able to get it. Everyone complained about the pause at the bottem.... Except me :happy. I have sorta been training with it. Rather than touch and go. I have unofficially gotten 300 touch and go. but it was nasty. Not a good bench press. Locked was suprisingly even, but my bench wasnt regulation. It's sorta soft, medium hardess. The ones at school are like bricks.

Wow.. I think I should start using pararaphs.... :whistel

congratulations! 385-260-425...what's that? a 1070 total? weren't you just barely cracking 1000 one or two months ago? those are some much improved numbers...it's good to see that your dedication is paying off. i'm guessing a 300# regulation bench doesn't seem terribly far off now...something along the lines of 400-300-450/500 for a couple months down the road would probably look pretty nice...

jeff

Edited by young'un

Thanks guys. Max week is one week away. If I get 290 on bench I'll finally be in the top 10 becnh pressers that have been at our school.

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I've maxed... first I'll go over my first max's at the beginning of the school year.

Bench: 230

Squat: 300

Deadlift: 405

And now the end of the years maxs...

Bench: 285

Squat: 405

Deadlift: 445

I have unofficially benched 300. But it was horrible form.. But hey... I still have two more years of this in high school. Now I have somethignt o go off of.

Wow good job, thats really impressive. Keep it up :mosher

Have you tried weighted isometric training, kit? It's amazing at teaching the body to recruit more muscle fibres, and to increase in strength quickly, not to mention blasting through sticking points. :rock

I may have, but I dont remember calling them that. I used to do alot of weird workouts. max out on push-ups. do dips with my weighted vest at different angels, then do push-ups with my weighted vest. Me last year could runa a mile 2 minutes faster than the me now. :tongue but I'm intrested. Explain them to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well It's time to start working agian. Goal weight by the end of the summer is 330. I got 295 fairly easy after a workout the other day.

I meant to say, that i'd think it would set a good base for the begiining of my junior year. I could start hammering away at the big 400lbs... Maybe 405 :happy ... Could anyone tell me what a good bench press is though. For my age at least.

• 2 weeks later...

ok. Last week I maxed at 305. then I did a workout.

70% 5x10

I did 225 for 5x10

Got to the 5th set, and got a good 6 reps on the 5th set...

Today I did 75% for 5x8

I did 245 for 5x8, got 7 on the last set.

oh forgot to say. I did 245 for 20 reps on squat to wake the muscles up.. I was gonna do 3x20.. but the next set I only got 3 reps.. This was last week, and my legs are still sore... :rock They should be awake now..

Weighted isometrics is basically static/isometric work with weights at different angles...

Take the deadlift for instance... one position would be at the start of the pull, another about kneelevel, and the third: lockout.

The first position is great for building starting strength. Put your max or just below your max (to start with) on the bar and just pull the bar about 1-2 inches of the floor and hold the bar isometrically at that position for as long as you can, counting the seconds. A good goal to shoot for before upping the weights is about 10 seconds.

The other two positions are done the same way, but they are for overloading and getting you used to heavier weights.

This work is suited for low volume as it's quite taxing for the nervous system, and you wanna be maxing out anyway, and can be done before a regular deadlift workout.

As an added benefit, max isometric contractions make subsequent dynamic work easier, and heavy lockouts have a nice psychological boost as your regular deadlift weight will feel a lot lighter ;)

It's important to remember to breathe during isometrics, otherwise the bloodpressure shoots up a lot.

• 3 months later...

Tried wristcurling again.. I got 155 for 2 reps...

There is a reason I havnt been posting as often about my workouts. I had to stop for a while.. My heart was being retarted and I got a heart murmur out of nowhere. Dr doesnt want me working to hard on anyhting till they get it checked out. They said it's not to unusual to have one sense you were born, but I had no medical records of ever having one. So they think it just came out of nowhere. There trying to find a reason and such.

The other day I was sitting at lunch got a bad chest pain, started sweating could barely breath, eyes went blurry, then my hands and feet tingled and went numb.. i eventually got ove rit, but my chest hurts alot now... if I run up the stairs it starts hurting..

So this knocked me out of any high rep lifting/running/cardio... Gives me an awesome oppurtunity to build my wrists up like I used to. Hope to get 225 by the end of the year. If I get that I'll be set.

I did max out in squat today becuase my chest hasnt hurt in about a day. And i felt good. But seeing as I havnt worked out sens emyy last max last school year... I knew it wasnt gonna be to pretty.. But to my suprise i went up 5 lbs..

410lbs... Anyway, thats my sotry as of now.. i'll check back in later.

i remember when i was turning fifteen. my brother introduced me to weights. he just got out of the pen. he was nuts. and he still is at 39 years old. he really needs to grow up. oh by the way i am 35 years old. this was like twenty years ago. all he did was benching and arms. never the legs. so, that is how i started just benching and arms. man to this day i regret not training on squats. but i started a few years ago and i have improved alot. anyway train hard on the squat and deadlift. don't worry about the benching. it just screws up your shoulders. now i have a hard time playing volley ball i can't spike, cause of my shoulders. i was alway so concerned about how much i can bench and not squat. bodybuilders of long ago were never concerned about how much they benched. they were concerned about how much they can clean and jerk, deadlift, squat, do one arm chinups. and how much power they can generate from there hands. please if you are going to do benches keep it very strict. slow reps etc. if i was to go back in time i would eliminate benches and do squats, deadlifts, hand grips stuff (alot of this) good luck. oh i must say another thing i had benched 450 and 185 pounds. strict style. and when i tried squatting 350 i fell to the floor my friend had a hard time helping me. so benching does not mean you are strong. and it did little for my wrestling either.