New Milo!

Bill Piche

GripBoard, I haven't received my MILO yet, but since there is no mention of GripBoard there (according to Wanna), I will do it here. "I would also like to thank my GripBoard brothers and sisters for giving me inspiration, encouragement, and first class gripping advice." There it is, thanks everyone! This place is a constant source of inspiration and motivation in my training. Couldn't have done it without yall! Chris Caffery

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

Random eh? Some people have suggested that after all these things are only $20, what do you expect? Well, how much does it cost to put a ruler down on the spring post, mark it, and cut it there? Sometimes quality doesn’t cost any more than random. On the other hand, I would imagine that the angle between the spring posts is harder to control because the spring is wrapped around a mandrel and then the spring must snap back differently when done, even if they are bent to a precise point, some are going to snap back more. Thus, I can understand differences there. On another note, has anybody ever noticed that the length of the handle is exact, and the center marks always the same? Yes, they have intentionally varied things like knurling and bevel, but from one gripper to the next handle length and center mark is exact. Why then can’t they set the spring into the handle the same?

Oh, one more thing back on point, congratulations guys!

Huh, such is life.

I have bought quite a bit more ironmind products since I started reading this board regularly. Extra grippers to modify, some just to see what the heck I will get, etc.

First off, CONGRATS TO ALL OF THE NEW CofC's !!!!!!

It is disapponiting to hear about the edits, as I am very much looking forward to thanking many of the members here for what I have learned when I get certified(and barring injury, it should be this Summer!!). As far as grippers varying, Tom is right, for only 20 bucks, to monitor the heat treatment of the springs would be cost prohibitive, so you will have variances on spread, and "toughness". The "set" however, should be easy to maintain. I have spent a fortune at Ironmind, and will probably continue to do so, as I believe their quality and integrity to be unsurpassed. Hopefully Dr. Strossen will come around, and see the tremendous potential effect that the members of this forum could have on his business.

Mike :rock

I have an IDEA that may or may not work at least for

us on the GripBoard, when new people are certified

and they write their little summary to Ironmind we

can figure some kind of a code to put in there

so we all know what is about. A good idea who

knows but it a thought at least IMO

Matt

I suspect that the two prongs of the spring that are inserted into the handles are not accurately cut in length. The holes in the handles are probably consistent. This would result in some springs high and some not so high.

John, a good way to verify this would be to remove the handles and measure the prongs (of at least two grippers). I have not enough grippers to take the risk but if you try this, let us know about it !

I cut the handles off of a double stamped #2. What a bitch of an

ordeal this was :cool . Anyway, the spring leg measured 4 inches

from the center top of the coil to the bottom of the leg. This was for

both legs (measured with a caliper and a tape rule).

Both spring legs were mounted 2 1/2 inches into the handles. The

spring was not set all that deep. I did notice the drilled hole to

accept the legs measured 2 9/16 deep. Bonding material filled this void

at the bottom of the spring leg.

The spring wire measured 0.250 in diameter. Compare this to the

new SuperMaster`s wire diameter of 0.273

I plan to remount this spring in the handles from a Lemly and have

it set as deep as possible.

I did this yesterday for something to amuse myself with :whistel

I have an IDEA that may or may not work at least for

us on the GripBoard, when new people are certified

and they write their little summary to Ironmind we

can figure some kind of a code to put in there

so we all know what is about. A good idea who

knows but it a thought at least IMO

Matt

Not a bad idea. :D

Here's a possible submission:

This is my story about I trained and closed the #3 gripper.

How I was able to close it, and how hard I trained... I showed

Everyone I knew that I had it in me. I'm just so

Glad to have finally become a certified Captain Of Crush!!

Really, it's an honor to have finally closed the #3.

It took me a long, long time but after lots of hard work I did it!

Pain was NOT an option for me, but steady determination and

Believing in myself were the main factors that finally got me

Over and beyond what I thought I was capable of! That and

Attutiude. My mental readiness was also very important, and the

Right frame of mind came in handy when I thought I

Didn't have the right stuff. Thank you, IronMind!!

There's more than one way to skin a Strossen!! :happy:laugh

Snott, if you don't mind a comment from a dumbass - perhaps they'll reformat your entry......... perhaps encoding it word for word somewhere......... like inserting something like

Good Results Inspire People! Be Over Achieving! Reach Deep!

into your message will get the point across........ especially if you say something like "look within yourself, look within everything around you" in the same text.................. ;)

Cool poem, though! Not to rip on your achievements there.......

No use guessing. I just emailed Randy Strossen this:

Hi Randy,

Many members of the GripBoard are wondering why you keep editing out references to the board in the COC writeups? I figured instead of conjecture I would just email you and ask. For example, six out of the eight new COC's in the latest June MILO are GripBoard members. The board actually generates a lot of interest in grip which actually feeds IronMind sales of grippers and other grip tools so that makes it even more puzzling. When I speak of the members, I am talking about not only a bunch of others but also the list below of COC's who are members that participate on the board.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

Current COC's who are members of the GripBoard:

Richard Sorin - 1991

Kevin Fulton - 1999

Wade Gillingham - 2000

John Wood - 2000

Michael Daly - 2000

Roger Steffens - 2000

Steve Weiner - 2000

Kurtis Bowler - 2000

Robert Lipinski - 2001

David Horne - 2001

Steve Gardener - 2001

Heath Sexton - 2001

David Hurzeler - 2001

Bill Piche - 2001

Thomas Heslep- 2001

Patrick Povilaitis - 2001

Jim Wylie - 2001

Mike Sanderson - 2002

John Hicks - 2002

Jesse Murray - 2002

Nathan Holle - 2002

Greg D'Eramo - 2002

Chris James - 2002

Harlan Jacobs - 2002

Eric Milfeld - 2003

Pascal Toussaint - 2003

Jeff Peterson - 2003

Dave Morton - 2003

Arne Persson - 2003

Rick Walker - 2003

Chris Caffery - 2003

Adam Black - 2003

Simone Vincenzi - 2003

Matt Vanweele - 2003

Steve McGranahan - 2003

Dag Runar Oersvik Oeye - 2003

Michael Harris - 2003

It's not surprising that Randy would exclude mention of this board. If I were editor of a mag, I would consider internet message boards a direct threat to my business. The net provides basically the same info (actually more) as a magazine, for free. "News" like contest reports comes out quicker on the net. Plus you can get personalized advice on the net. I used to subscribe to several muscle mags, automobile mags, etc., but I don't anymore mostly because of the net. As far as IM is concerned, any additional equipment sales generated by this and other sites is not worth the risk of MILO eventually being put out of business.

Hello there! This process, where we work ceaselessly: yearning, because every rep pushes us more powerfully, committing our minds, grips relentlessly in pursuit. Beyond our average reach, defining incredible new dreams. Eventually, x percentage has power.....

Wanna,

I don't mean to piss you off but your email won't work. I am happy you tried, but it is an effort in vain. I myself have talked to Strossen about various ideas and whatnot - only to be shot down.

WE buy his products, WE talk about his products, WE encourage others about discovering IronMind and the grippers! :angry:

At this point, I feel the anger... but what's the use? :sleep

When I meet him face to face at the upcoming AOBS, I will ask him "why?", and I expect a good reasonable answer. I won't be surprised if I don't get one.

I think he should really reconsider putting the gribboard in his milo magazine, I mean the sales from gripping/weightlifting toys (which I'm sure everyone here owns some, if not a good handful of some sort of IM merchandise) far exceeds the sales of Milo, which I personnaly don't read, but do own a good amount of IM products; It seems a better business stand point to consider where you'r sales are actually coming from. From what Wannagrip e-mailed him it looks like at least that half of the COC's are gripboard members.

I mean if you look at it, this is free advertising for IM.

When Roark closes his #4, I'm sure IronMind/Milo will want to know all of the details, including where Joe obtained advice and motivation. The GripBoard will be in print then!

Paul,

Good thing you were typing. Hard to talk with your tongue so far up into your cheek :D

If you only knew....

I no longer have a #4- but when I did I had worked

to within 3" of closing it.

Don, you make a good point, but the way I see it, Milo is the main advertising vehicle for IM products. If no one reads Milo, IM is screwed. So it wouldn't make sense for Randy to point people towards great sources of info that can replace Milo. Oh well... to those who got certified, congrats!

One thing though-

How often do you see grip training articles in MILO? Almost any new training technique or equipment or whatever I have heard about here first before I have read about it in MILO.

Another funny thing, if it wasn't for the internet message boards I would have most likely never subscribed to MILO.

Most of the internet weight training community on the net are serious junkies- On top of wasting god knows how much time online, I still subscribe to 2 magazines, and buy loads off goofy stuff- Big rubber bands, more grippers than most people know exist, etc.

The more info I get about something, the more interested I am in reading it from the source. Heck, I could have gotten all the info here, but I still bought both of Brookfield's books, and I don't think I am alone among members here.

Hopefully Wanna's email will help clear things up.

I thought this was clever

Hello there! This process, where we work ceaselessly: yearning, because every rep pushes us more powerfully, committing our minds, grips relentlessly in pursuit. Beyond our average reach, defining incredible new dreams. Eventually, x percentage has power.....