New Milo!

Bill Piche

Thanks guys-an honor to be amoung all the other COCs! :bow

I did write "under the guidance of many other COCs"-but he left out one part. "ON THE GRIPBOARD".

Does it surprise me? No-not at all. It has seemed as if he has been ignoring us forever.

I guess I don't care much-those in the know know The GripBoard is #1 for hand strength.

I emailed him many times to find out what the process was for me to be able to certify people if need be at my grip contest. He snubbed me with that as well.

Rick Walker :rock

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

It has long surprised me that you fellows seek official recognition from someone who ignores you other than to use you.

Why do you?

Perhaps Strossen has, and even still does visit the Gripboard. Perhaps he has read posts that did not sing the praises of all things Ironmind. Perhaps like some others he is a person who cannot take the slightest criticism and holds a grudge for life. Look how long it took him to go online and modernize his business, including accepting credit card payments. Oh well.

I certified because although I could close the #3 in each hand until I am blue in the face-it really doesn't mean squat unless I am on the list.

I don't see it any higher than the GripBoard lists. Just another mark to reach in my quest for World's Strongest Hands. :D

As the grip board grows, perhaps a certification process

can be in place in-house, and grippers will be only a small section of that- pinching, thickbar, etc.

I know Randy fairly well...well enough to know that I don't need to defend him, so I won't. I will say however that the internet is full of bulls@#t. Bulls#@t people saying bulls#@t things about themselves, what they've done, what they are going to do, what others have done, etc., etc.. I think Randy chooses to ignore what is said on the internet and instead deals in reality. This board is different - people are decent, lifts are forced to be proven, and the majority of people on here are supportive. I wouldn't get all bent out of shape that the GripBoard is edited out of your articles. I think it is more Randy discriminating against the internet than against this site personally.

Wade

Excellent points Wade. This board is unlike any other board on the net-period.

That is all very true Wade. However the main point is that the Gripboard must have indirectly made some good money for Ironmind. A one time acknowledgement or a simple thankyou would go a long way. That is not asking much. Clearly he should not post here as some would just plain bother the man. Bullsh* is a big part of many of the training boards. Unfortunately I discovered those boards long before this one. At one time I even thought all the boards were like that. That was my frame of mind when I first posted here. I know better now. This board in in a class of it's own.

Be real. Ironmind is portrayed as an evil monster on here all the time. Their products are trashed left and right as being inconsistent blah blah blah. If IM's grippers vary their quality control is shit, yet just last week someone said referencing RB crushers that "grippers vary and I like the variety" or something to that effect. Why the double standard?

If Randy Strossen (I choose to address him properly, and not simply as Strossen like many others here) chooses not to sponsor the Gripboard that is his choice. It's also no surprise that it is not mentioned. I don't think a Ford owned publication would say "hey, check out this great Chevy website".

Some people will find a reason to bitch about anything. So what if your darn writeup had been edited. If you want an unedited forum for your thoughts publish your own magazine, or start your own website. As far as being snubbed for not being able to certify people, I think that is to remain objectivity. For example, I wouldn't offer to certify someone that I consider a friend....mainly for their protection.

Get back to grippin, stop the gripin!

Pat, your analogy puzzles me. No Ford would not suggest

customers check out Chevy, but Ford would not deny a

main supplier which helped its product spread.

Would you like it if you were edited here so that a main

point you were making never appeared on your posts?

The inconsistency of the gripper strength is a reality so far as most people, including you, are concerned. Reality must be dealt with, not shoved aside because it is

embarrassing. It is not an evil thing- it is an ignored thing

except here.

'Strossen' is no more disrespectful than 'Roark'. It is a quick reference.

Wade: Perhaps Randy feels that way about the internet, I do not know, but I do know if he spent time here- and it

pays to know your customers- he might conclude that this forum lacks the characteristics that make other boards unappealing. If no one read MILO because other mags in the field were unappealing, what kind of reasoning would that be? MILO is unique in its aim. So is this forum.

Which reinforces my point that blanket discrimination based on source (the internet) is not justified- it would be like discriminating against all of MILO's content based on the editing of what is prompting this discussion.

Wanna, you said in a previous post that "Nathan Hole just missed closing the #4 "....do you mean that they put a pic of him narrowly missing the close in the Junue issue?

Good points all across the board. I'm wondering though, has anyone actually asked Strossen his reasoning? Or invited him to the board? I have yet to certify, Marty Gallagher has been chosen as my witness and we're still trying to colaborate schedules (he actually lives almost 2 hours away :dry ). When I do certify, I'll be sure to bring this to his attention. I had already planned on thanking the members of the gripboard for their help in MILO, but since it doesn't look like it'll make it that far...

thanks guys! :rock

-Dan Cenidoza

I have no idea regarding the motivations of others, so I don't care to get into that, but it was my understanding that, at least in part, one of the benefits of submitting a little write-up to MILO when you Certified, was to possibly share a bit of knowledge that you gained from your journey toward Certification. And that that knowledge could be shared with others on the printed page to possibly help someone else in their journey toward Certification.

You find nuggets of wisdom in the strangest places, and if a specific portion of the internet is consistently being referenced as a helping influence in their endeavor for Certification, I see consistently omitting that influence as limiting the spread of knowledge, at least indirectly.

BC.

Guest psbryant

Hey Guys,

I am an infrequent poster, only moderately addicted to grip strength and not at all tuned into the politics of weight lifting personalities. I am however a customer of Ironmind, should I say a former customer?

I only became interested in grip strength after coming across this board. Actually, I never new how intense the sport/activity could get. When my interest piqued, I made a thick bar, picked up a 12# shotput at a flea market, started making my own version of the gripinator and I ordered a #1. Right after it arrived my boss ordered a T. Another colleague ordered a couple of T's. Now Ironmind has 4 easy sales based on the info and enthusiasm generated on this board.

For them/him to deny the opportunity of COC's to list all their inspirations is not only shortsighted put petty. After all, what is the list of COC's if not a marketing ploy. Why would he not want to acknowledge what seems to me to be a significant source of Free publicity and advertising.

I can not see any merit to the argument that due to the quality of IM grippers being questioned on this board he will not allow any mention of this board in his mag. Afterall, every product has pros and cons. If the only pro to this product is that there is a list to get on just because you close it then I believe I can find a different source of torsion spring grippers. Possibly a source that will appreciate my business no matter where it comes from.

I have been reading good things about RB grippers. Time to cast my marketing vote with my $$$.

And I don't think the Ford/Chevy analogy is quite accurate. Think of Ford and HD. Each company using their marketing forces to support each other. Consider that IM and the GripBoard are not competitors as are Ford and Chevy. But parties that could support each other in more than a one-way street relationship.

Just a couple of quick thoughts for your consideration.

With growing grip strength,

Paul

In awe of the inspiration available here and:

Proud to be a Cyberpump! Supporter

I agree that Ironmind makes a good amount of money from us here.

It doesn't bother me that much that the grip board is not mentionned in the writings. Sure it would would be good for us.

However, I think that if someone wants to thank the ones who helped him, they deserve recongnition. Their names should be included in the thanks.

Dr.Strossen owns Milo. He has the right to do what he pleases with it for whatever reason. He does not need our approval, support, or critical review. However, I am personally disappointed that the mention of the GripBoard or other viable information sources would be edited out of one's commentary.

We can continue to speculate as to the motives for this censorship but the bottom line is that Dr.Strossen owns Milo so we have no rights beyond what Dr.Strossen deems appropriate.

I'm new here and I don't know much about grip training yet but even I find it annoying that Ironmind would edit peoples copy.

This gripboard is directly responsible for my recent order of 3 IM grippers. And I'm sure there are many cases like mine.

I also agree that if someone wants to thank and acknowledge the source of thier grip strength they sould be able to do so.

Those of you who are CoC's have trained so hard for the certification you should be able to say anything you want ( within reason ) without editing.

You guys rock :rock

Brian

Guest psbryant

Barbender,

I think you are exactly right and I agree with you 100%. I would never want to infringe on IM's right to do whatever they think is appropriate. The only thing I can do is what I think is appropriate. Business transactions are a 2 way street and I prefer, if at all possible, to deal with a merchant that respects the diversity of his costomers.

PB

Proud to be a Cyberpump! Donator

I personally suspect that this whole issue may have something to do with the fact that it was the GripBoard that helped (and is still helping) to establish the RB Grippers.

Perhaps the references to the board WERE removed due to factors of space or whatever - however, it would seem strange that ALL the references were removed, especially such an important reference. I certainly don't think think it is an exageration to say that the KTA programme for instance (for those who have it, heh-heh) is any less "radical" and influential than say, Westside methods in powerlifting, and I assume references to using those methods or training at Westisde would not be removed from a powerlifting piece - and, realistically speaking, how you train is a lot more important than some of the other things you can say in your MILO paragraph.

Therefore, I would respectfully ask that the next person from the board to certify write simply "The Grip Board" when they submit their piece - it would clear up this mess once and for all, certainly....

Dr.Strossen owns Milo. He has the right to do what he pleases with it for whatever reason. He does not need our approval, support, or critical review. However, I am personally disappointed that the mention of the GripBoard or other viable information sources would be edited out of one's commentary.

We can continue to speculate as to the motives for this censorship but the bottom line is that Dr.Strossen owns Milo so we have no rights beyond what Dr.Strossen deems appropriate

He does not need our approval, support or critical review? He does if he wishes to keep what is probably a substantial proportion of his customers happy. If he is not concerned with it, if in fact the reason he censored this is because he simply does not care for our opinion of his grippers, then that is strange behaviour indeed. Especially from someone who is a PHD in Psychology (If memory serves??). If he is trying to keep us a "secret" from the average Ironmind consumer due to the large tolerances of quality control he allows then this behaviour switches from strange to disturbing.

Is it possible for a reputable member of this board to personaly ask Dr. Strossen "Why are Gripboard references omited"? This seems to be the only way to understand this situation.

It is entirely possible that Dr.Strossen may not be fully aware that the GripBoard actually helps IronMind economically. Even with critical review and product competition, IronMind would benefit from sales that otherwise would not have occurred had the prospective customer never visited the GripBoard. If that person decides to buy a non-IronMind product, then IronMind has not lost a sale since this sale would have never occurred for them anyway.

Mac, I agree with you but do not assume that someone with a Ph.D. is smart or has a grasp of logic or good business sense.

I personally suspect that this whole issue may have something to do with the fact that it was the GripBoard that helped (and is still helping) to establish the RB Grippers.

Well, you're wrong. I mentioned the gripboard in my write-up well before RB Crushers were ever thought of. Mine got edited, did I care, no, did I think it was odd yes. But, if he doesn't want it in his magizine, so be it.

Ironmind is definatly making money from this board... I've dropped $100 on Ironmind products since joining this board a couple months ago and my girlfriend is going to be buying me some new toys(I can't wait to see which items she decides to get from the list I gave her) from Ironmind for me for my birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. Now without of the board I wouldn't have caught the bug and wouldn't have spent a penny on Ironmind products... I think the people who certified and had their comments edited in MILO ought to contact Dr.Strossen and complain about the the censorship of mentions of the Gripboard from their comments.

Edited by Incindium