New Milo!

Bill Piche

Strossen has long for whatever reasons not acknowledged the Gripboard. It goes way back further than the arrival of RB grippers, PDA grippers and the like. It is no doubt some personal beef. ( I know that's speculation) People may buy grippers elsewhere, but they continue to also buy Ironmind's. The biggest thing that could go wrong is that people lost interest in certifying on an Ironmind gripper, and other people started a certification program that was more to the grip communities liking. But I really don't care that much, and contine to have little interest in certification for myself, and appearing in Ironmind without being able to thank this place which I do care about.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

• Tom of Iowa2

Let's keep out terms straight.

Censorship is when the government tells you

what you can and cannot write etc.

Randy has a perfect right to edit his magazine any way he

deems fit- and his editing is not censorship.

I once wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and included this message: "If you edit any part of this letter,

then do not print the edited version; discard my letter if you wish, but do not edit it. You do not have permission to

change my words on this topic". The letter was never published, and the editor and I could both live with that.

With such a preamble negating his ability to edit, then we

get to the meat of the matter the editor can no longer edit and the writer has no right to be published in such circumstances in the first place.

Give you any ideas on how to submit text? :shifty

Guest gripmaster316
Nathan Holle just missed closing the 4.

What about his other brothers??? Shouldn't they be right behind him????

MILO, from IronMind.com :

And while you think it’s great that everyone and his brother has a chat room and a message board, you’ve noticed that they might not always be the best place to get authoritative information, so what do you do? We recommend that you read MILO: A Journal for Serious Strength Athletes.

This is from the IronMind website for their description of MILO. From Dr. Strossen's point of view, perhaps he wants to keep MILO the place for "authoritative information" on grip? I think it's stated pretty clearly.

There isn't anything in Milo that you cannot get for free on the Web. We even know about new Captains of Crush before anyone else does. The best source for grip knowledge is the grip community which of course is right here.

If you were in the business of selling grippers and writting about grippers, would you advertise another resource that explains the source for different grippers and is in itself a better source for gripper information?

The ethical answer: Yes.

The business answer: No.

Rorak,

I assure you, in some rare cases, this has been known to happen.

True to the world of business, un-true to the world of grip.

Be real. Ironmind is portrayed as an evil monster on here all the time.

Pat, show me a post in the last 3 months bashing Ironmind. Heck, the last 6 months. Your statement is not based in fact at all.

By the way, the RB grippers are nice looking but they too vary wildly.

After this last issue, it's pretty clear what Dr. Strossen thinks of the gripboard. Even though 30 ? of the COC's hang here...

The Gripboard produces many new CoC's every year(months). And like someone said, the CoC list is some kind of marketing ploy. The more I think of it, the more I believe it. And when the CoC list start growing with more and more people getting certified, it would be less impressive to be on that list.

I think that can be one reason why Randy Strossen don't want to mention this place. Because here you can have lots of information that will boost your griptraining.

However, I think that if someone wants to thank the ones who helped him, they deserve recongnition. Their names should be included in the thanks.

I agree with this. I don't care who it is. This is about being brothers and sisters in IRON and excluding it is wrong IMO. My OPINION. :)

Another problem that Mr. Strossen might have with the Gripboard is that the rival PDA has a good relationship with this board and a bad relationship with him. This is not the fault of PDA in anyway. You only hear good things about PDA, and deservedly so.

By the way, I am a very good customer of IronMind. :)

I even have a FULL set of MILO from the first issue. ;)

My friend here at work just asked me "So, if I tell this guy I have you to thank for certifying he's going to REMOVE IT!?" What the hell!?

cen·sor·ship ( P ) Pronunciation Key (snsr-shp)

n.

The act, process, or practice of censoring.

tr.v. cen·sored, cen·sor·ing, cen·sors

To examine and expurgate.

Roark, I used the word censorship in correct context according the above dictionary entries. The issue whether Strossen has the right to do so is another altogether and I agree that he can do whatever he wants in his own magazine. However, I myself and other members of the Gripboard don't have to like it....

Wannagrip, I believe you unintentionally overlooked a post of mine...ealier you said " Nathan Hole just missed closing the #4"....did they show a pick of this attempt in the June issue of Milo or was it just printed?

The Holle clan has been very quiet recently. It would be good to hear from them. It is almost as if we will not get any news, until one of them closes a #4!

Wannagrip, I believe you unintentionally overlooked a post of mine...ealier you said " Nathan Hole just missed closing the #4"....did they show a pick of this attempt in the June issue of Milo or was it just printed?

There's a picture of the close. Just a whisper away.

Also, a picture of Nathan and one of the other brothers.

I also believe they lurk here under "wales" username but I could be wrong on that.

I know of several people that have purchased equipment from IM because of the gripboard.Grippers,Big Blocks,etc.

Many!! :blink of my friends at least read the grip board(not posting) and of course i have handed out grippers for people to try....which has resulted in purchases from IM.

Some folks ;) do not even have access to computers and because of MY interest in the forum and grip THEY have become interested in grip and thus become IM customers.

It is a strange relationship to say the least.

If IM's grippers vary their quality control is shit, yet just last week someone said referencing RB crushers that "grippers vary and I like the variety" or something to that effect. Why the double standard?

Probably because Robert Baraban has no "COCs list" and has not set a very strict certification process for grippers that are not very well calibrated.

Anyway, the gripboard is like an oasis that all the gripomaniacs eventually manage to reach :tongue

I love this board ! No need for a kudo from Ironmind (i like their grippers but they do vary a lot, that's a fact).

Amaury.

I have spent a small fortune on IM products. If it wasnt for the Gripboard I wouldnt have known that the grippers varied and I had not bought "extra" IM grippers of same strength I already had.

My knowledge, inspiration and grip strength had been much lower if it wasnt for the Gripboard. And btw, the Gripboard is FREE, at least for now.

wow, I imagine that the Sept issue is going to be it... a little more than 5 3/4 years since Kinney first closed the #4 ... it seems that even if several people do get certified for closing the #4 in 2003, it will still be quite a while before IronMind decides to introduce a #5. when this does happen, closing a # 3 will perhaps be analogous to bench pressing a little more than 400lbs. :angry::erm

Iromind grippers vary way too much . The springs are set deep in some and high on the handles on others, or anywhere in between. Handle spread also varies a great deal. This should not be the case. There are only 3 parts to a gripper so not much to worry about. It is know that metal torsion springs have peculiar and random characteristics that are not fully understood. Every gripper should have the same spread and the same depth of spring set. The qualities of the springs we will just have to live with. Baraban Roberts has to live with that too. In all other ways his grippers show superior craftsmanship. I suspect that the two prongs of the spring that are inserted into the handles are not accurately cut in length. The holes in the handles are probably consistent. This would result in some springs high and some not so high.

I suspect that the two prongs of the spring that are inserted into the handles are not accurately cut in length. The holes in the handles are probably consistent. This would result in some springs high and some not so high.

John, a good way to verify this would be to remove the handles and measure the prongs (of at least two grippers). I have not enough grippers to take the risk but if you try this, let us know about it !

I have done it with both a Lemley and a #2 from Ironmind that I purchased for modifying and experimenting with. The prongs looked like they had been cut at random on both grippers. If the prong angles are not consistent either, then the variable spring depths and handle spreads start to show up.