Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

a few sets of five with a 2.5, did a little pinch but friction was awful and the dryness was gonna tear up the skin... ended up doing hang cleans on the 2.5" axle.. singles to 210 *pr.... this is up about 20 lbs from last year, hopefully its an indicator of overall thickbar improvement. finished on the 2" wrist roller at 165 lbs, 2 sets each forward/rearward rolling.. forearms were painfully pumped!

a few sets of five with a 2.5, did a little pinch but friction was awful and the dryness was gonna tear up the skin... ended up doing hang cleans on the 2.5" axle.. singles to 210 *pr.... this is up about 20 lbs from last year, hopefully its an indicator of overall thickbar improvement. finished on the 2" wrist roller at 165 lbs, 2 sets each forward/rearward rolling.. forearms were painfully pumped!

Have you still been using working hands cream?

Have you still been using working hands cream?

been slackin on that to be honest.. maybe its showing lol

• Like 1

Haven't weighed in for a while.. Probably up a few lbs.

Just 20mm block grippers today plus core work:

Lefty 4x5 CoC 2.5

Right 2x5 CoC2.5 then 1x5 CoC 3(fairly certain I got the fifth rep closed for a moment before it opened back). Made another attempt at ghp 8, still about 1/4 inch.

Ill post the #3 reps PR sometime soon, forgot to upload this morning

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice #3 reppage!

Thanks Ben

BW 182.6

Been falling behind in the log, life's been quite busy... still training here and there for Nationals

Crush, sets of 5 w/ 20mm block left and right; GHP5, Tetting SM, CoC 2.5, then one block single HG300 @ 149 left, right RB 300N @ 156

Vbar, singles to 265 left and right

Dynamic squats between

• Like 1

Damn I forgot how strong you are with grippers! reminds me that i need to make another run at the #3 when I buy a vulcan from Horne!

You must be good for the MM1 mate.

Damn I forgot how strong you are with grippers! reminds me that i need to make another run at the #3 when I buy a vulcan from Horne!

You must be good for the MM1 mate.

Thanks man just trying to improve my crush, it was the only thing I was strong at in the beginning. Now other stuff is up but crush is relatively unchanged.

• Like 1

BW 181

Explosive block closes with SM, 5 singles

2hp felt like crap. Up to 183 for some 5 second holds..

Axle started off bad, struggled with 335 and 345, but dropped down to 325 for 5 good reps and then got five more at 335.. Weird how that works sometimes. Not a bad day but I need more rest

BW 183

random volume grip work, shot rotations and finger walks

vbar to 242 for a few singles

inch trainer pulls, handle offset by a bit in the middle so i'm lifting it at that point of the most intense rotation.. when i started lifting it like this i could barely get air, now i am consistently locking it out right and solid air left

a couple axle one hand rack pulls at 185, left finally some good pulls, right easy lock out with extended pause

ran a heavily inclined 400m dash, 1:08 not bad for a steadily increasing grade, finishing at the steepest point. a few more shorter runs focusing on an explosive start, hitting near max velocity and relaxing the upper body.. i'd like to start working toward a sub 50 second 400, i think it's doable with some work.. best was 53 seconds about a decade ago

• Like 1

Today and yesterday:

140m sprints and alternating blob work w/ 40#, a couple singles with the york 50, including left hand (felt good to still pick up the blob with a sore thumb - had to prove to myself the strength was still there)

Today, gripper block singles up to 149L/156R, then a set of ten minireps for speed on the SM

Axle singles to 325, then a triple (regripping dead stop), then 2 more speed singles at 335#.. really trying to focus on speed and efficiency of movement, mental sharpening..

not much else to report, box jumps and 2" vbar up to 242 for a few singles each hand then 10 reps each hand at 181

Winding down training for Nationals.. CNS less involved at this point.. feel like a caged animal though

BW 183

Grippers w/ SM, 5 block reps for speed, then a set of 12 micro reps after the initial block set... trying to hone in on the crucial ROM for Tetting grippers, which will be contested at Nats

thin pinch, to 125, 2 sets of five

2hp, did a couple singles at 163-173, felt light and zippy (caged animal)

axle, to 285 DO, fast off the floor, focusing the mental side of it. Up to 305 for some thumbless, 3 singles - all felt strong

rehab and recovery to follow

• Like 2

Active recovery circuit grip intermixed w/ contrasts (per Kody). 3 rounds each following 4 min in he hot water. Great pump, cold water much more intense than usual. Hands feel great afterward! Stretching and light gtg work throughout day. BW 181 today.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to work, hit some old school solid axle today and hit a PR of five reps. Ill upload a picture when I get some wifi but its around a 3" diameter and rotates like an inch bell. Still under 190 BW but I've been eating a lot and feel MUCH stronger than I did at nationals. Ill be back in TX Monday and will be getting back to full body strength; squatting, dead lifting and pressing will be on the menu... Along with calories. Big things on the horizon but I got to get some upper body strength. The hands seemed isolated in competition and received little help from the arms and back. Hopefully the comp results come out soon but I did the unthinkable and bombed out the 2hp; opening at 187... Just never got a good warmup and couldn't piece together a technically sound lift. Tough pill to swallow considering 187 has always been a safe and consistent training weight - even with reps... With that said I got hammered in the overall standings.. Axle got hung up at 350, only posted a 343 so again, the strength was just AWOL on me when I needed it most. Left handed grippers did poorly as well but hit a contest PR with 160 right.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday,

CCS triples 126 coc2.5, five sets right, left drop sets 126,122, 108 CCS singles consecutively

RT singles to 168 left, 187 right

2hp with 100#, small rim around plate. Singles to 170#

Preacher curl ez bar 1x4 110#

Atg squats 4x2, 245#

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same CCS program as last post, each rep more commanding than last week. On last rep of last set, held shut five seconds.

Left hand same drop sets add a second rep with the 108# for a total of four reps

Push press 2X5 133#

Bench 3x5 # 143#

Pec felt good throughout, really just just trying to rebuild some upper body strength without pushing myself at this pt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big schedule changes, very busy but still hitting the gym hard most days. Not much time to log grip however. Bodyweight is back up to about 190. Tonight just messed around in the garage but managed a PR three sets of four CCS reps with my 2.5, rated at 125. Left hand also PRed as i hit 2 sets of doubles CCS with the same gripper. Should be CCSing at the 3 level very soon. With the increased volume of active recovery and extensor work, the hands are thickening up at a rate i've never seen before. Also hit RT for ten reps, 148 left and 173 right, last two reps on the right were hops.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good all round stuff though Jon. It's getting serious gripperwise! Interesting routine, I'm not focusing much on the repwork with the CCS's but still I am making steady progress at this moment. Would be nice to scrape this one off te list.

Good all round stuff though Jon. It's getting serious gripperwise! Interesting routine, I'm not focusing much on the repwork with the CCS's but still I am making steady progress at this moment. Would be nice to scrape this one off te list.

thanks man, i guess slow and steady wins the race

still training... not much time to log but an update.

Been hitting grippers for a while now, back up to mid 160s at 20 and around 150 CCS. Plan is to be CCSing a 132 2.5 for 5 sets of 5 here in the next month or maybe two. The volume based approach has been getting me steady gains and really raising my level of confidence that I can make the jump to another level.

RT is on a comeback as well, been doing triples to good effect, did 3x3 with 193# tonight, up from mid 180s last week. Been working the basics and just general hand and body strength. Just wanted to pop in and share a bit.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday's training highlights

managed a CCS triple with my new 136# 2.5, then did high reps right and left with the ghp5

gonna focus back in on the 132# and work toward 5x5 with it

Tonight RT high reps left 148#x10, right 173#x10, preacher curls and one hand 2.5" axle pulls. Finished with a lot of stretching/active conditioning

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

more 136# CCS triples, 2/4 were successful third reps, the others missed narrowly

RT pulls, lefty 3x3 @ 169, right 194 2x3, then 202 almost a double, couldn't hang on to the second rep

long session of active recovery and contrast baths.. really put in the work today outside of the heavy session.. too much stuff to list

• Like 1

BW 198

Chest/tris then:

CCS work 125.8# 2.5; 5x5reps, an extra rep for good measure on last set. Officially checked the box for 5x5..

IM axle warm up to 295#, 1x15, i stopped for a moment to rechalk at rep 9.. regrip each rep and no bouncing

high volume active recovery, pretty good pump

• Like 3