Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Dam I wish I could pinch my body weight, what's atorque trainer?, oh I got my humidity and temp thong at radio sshak for $20 is good to know what's the best conditions

I'll have to pick one up when i get some free time, i hate not knowing what the conditions are, it would help me determine if its a bad day for me or just environmental

torque trainer: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=11262and http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=11263

Cool idea

I'll have to pick one up when i get some free time, i hate not knowing what the conditions are, it would help me determine if its a bad day for me or just environmental

torque trainer: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=11262and http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=11263

how does the torque trainer work? looks like a cool little gadget, just cant get my head round how it works..

cheers.

how does the torque trainer work? looks like a cool little gadget, just cant get my head round how it works..

cheers.

you grip it like you are pinching a block, there is a hinge in the middle that turns the outside of your hands inward (classic 2hp technique). Additionally, the two hooks that point to the front of the device are where you load up with rubber bands, bungie cords, etc... this is what provides the resistance. I usually only let the hinge turn a few degrees and i load with a very heavy bungie cord. I microload that resistance by pushing the bands/cord farther out to the end of the hooks. Does that make any sense? It explains itself if you see it in action

cheers.

you grip it like you are pinching a block, there is a hinge in the middle that turns the outside of your hands inward (classic 2hp technique). Additionally, the two hooks that point to the front of the device are where you load up with rubber bands, bungie cords, etc... this is what provides the resistance. I usually only let the hinge turn a few degrees and i load with a very heavy bungie cord. I microload that resistance by pushing the bands/cord farther out to the end of the hooks. Does that make any sense? It explains itself if you see it in action

Think id have to see it working lol. once i understand how it works im more likely to appreciate the ingenuity of it. lots of new homemade or modified training tools uploaded lately.

cheers.

Think id have to see it working lol. once i understand how it works im more likely to appreciate the ingenuity of it. lots of new homemade or modified training tools uploaded lately.

Ill try and get a video on here as soon as I can

damn forgot the video.. sorry

BW 183.4

dips and L sits w/ flutters, three sets alt till failure

grippers 20mm block, 2x5, 1st set speed w/ ghp 5, 2nd set w/ CoC 2.5, 3rd set double w/ vulcan L13, 4 set single left w/ HG300 149/right ghp7 154

1hp kb style swings 83#, left triple, right got five

2hp 2x2 @ 183#, then got motivated and finally nailed 1x5 @ BW, then double @ 193#

wide 35s pinch singles, added 10# via loading pin, floated left twice and easy right

RT supported wrist curl hold @ 96#, five seconds each hand, then wrist wrench supported curls 2x3 @ 60#

finisher 25s pinch around body, thin/rounded CAP plates 30 reps, then 3" wide fitness gear, 25 reps, had much more in tank but tendons were starting to hurt so i stopped both sets short of failure

not a bad day for still having a cough and feeling still slightly unwell. hands feel strong but i really torched them good today, long round of contrast baths afterward, feeling good now

• Like 1

BW 184, at gym

Thickbar work w/ FGs, handles wide so the full diameter was around 3". Huge gap in the grips

Snatch, singles to 85# both hands

Clean, 3 singles at 100#

Deadlift, triples at 120#, five reps w/ 110#

Strict biceps curls, 50, 2x5

Strict supported one hand wrist curls, triples at 85#

Db cleans w/ 120# no FG, one single each hand

One hand barbell clean, 135, then 155# single each hand

Toes to bar, elbow lever, front lever from chin up bar and a few back lever attempts.. Rusty

Tried pinching the 100# iron grip db, rubber coated.. Looked wide but wasn't that bad:

• Like 1

Tough day, BW 182.8

warmup w/ pushups and wood everlast gripper, 20mm block set grippers, GHP5, 1x5 both hands, SM, 1x5 both hands, tough on left. Quit after that grippers were going nowhere

2hp training, weight loaded on back to emphasize the wrist strength part of the lift, singles w/ one count pause, empty euro 63# +25# on rear, increments of 5# till i had two 25# on the back.

axle thumbless, 3x5 @ 285#, this felt decent and i'll continue to push the thumbless stuff as nationals approaches

blob drags, 3 sets of 36 foot drags, switching hands each twelve feet, fatman and nexgen

• Like 1

BW 183.2 yesterday

2" axle thumbless, 1x5 @ 300#, then 1x8 power shrugs same weight DO

plate curls w/ 35#, left six reps, right ten reps, add little big horn in plate center, left alllmost, right no problem

did axle thumbless a few days before yesterday and got 2 sets of 5 with 295#, so marching onward.. hopefully these will contribute to my overall thickbar strength

finished with axle fingercurls in the rack, 2x10 w/ 115#, tried to do these ultra strict; rolling the bar down to first finger joint then initiating the curl

• Like 1

BW 184

alt, 30/30/30m shuttle run and 205# deep squats for 3 reps, 30 sec break 5 rounds

73# 1hp taps, 2x10 each hand

RT left 1x9 @ 148#, right 1x10 @ 172#

2" dumbbell suitcase DL 5 reps, rows 5 more, 1 set with 107# and leather wrapped around handle

finger curls with 57# db# 1x10 each hand

35# plate curls 3x3 on 30 second cycle

After the workout, about 20 or so minutes. Left biceps felt really tight and pumped - sorta weak and weird feeling. It was sorta like the last couple wrist and biceps scares I've had in the last year. Not sure what is going on - definitely not an acute injury but if I kick the intensity and volume up on the arms/ forearms this has been the result several times. Anyone else deal with these ghost injuries as I like to call it. At no point in the workout did I feel any pain or discomfort, or push my limits... I'm beginning to think these are some sort of chronic cramping. Please comment if you have any insight.

While doing incline dumbell curls 3 months ago I started feeling something strange in my left biceps near the high armpit area; I ignored it and wound up tearing something in that area while doing rows. Looked ugly for awhile but things are getting back to normal. You seem to be the very cautious type so getting a proper medical opinion might save some down time in case it's not a cramp!

if you think it's the cramps try a bananna and glass of water really good for magnesium and hydration it helps for cramps big time

At this point medical opinion would be tough, no apparent deformity or bruising, not even acute pain. Just a little sore today... I'm gonna start adding dedicated medium intensity biceps training to my routine. The one thing I know is they are now my weak link in thickbar.

Yeah I'm gonna start eating better stuff before I work out... Been slacking on proper preworkout nutrition. So yep, gonna start eating bananas and getting more hydrated, especially with the south texas summer around the corner.

After the workout, about 20 or so minutes. Left biceps felt really tight and pumped - sorta weak and weird feeling. It was sorta like the last couple wrist and biceps scares I've had in the last year. Not sure what is going on - definitely not an acute injury but if I kick the intensity and volume up on the arms/ forearms this has been the result several times. Anyone else deal with these ghost injuries as I like to call it. At no point in the workout did I feel any pain or discomfort, or push my limits... I'm beginning to think these are some sort of chronic cramping. Please comment if you have any insight.

If you massage the biceps and stretch does it loosen up?

If you massage the biceps and stretch does it loosen up?

eventually yes. Took a while though, a few hours

Last two days

Wife smoking me with some BW centric crossfit routines

Sunday 2/15

overhead presses (40# dbs), curls same weight, pushups, BW squats, burpees, toe touches. rep scheme was ladder style 5/10/15/20/15/10/5, used the 40#s most of the way thru the 20 rep and downward 15 rep cycle, drop setted to 20# db to finish those two sets.

then grippers, overcrushed ghp5, SM, and 2.5.. one smooth out negative CCS with GHP7.. some blob work after, various holds.. wanted to pinch but thumb has a nice little split

Yesterday smoke session

unweighted overhead press, lunges, pushups, squat and hold.. 20 seconds of work, 8 seconds of rest, 8 rounds each exercise.. then abs: plank w/ cross over knees, heel touches, toe touches, flutter kicks, hello dollies, and tic tocs, one minute each 20 seconds rest.. absolutely brutal workout

later more overcrushes, same grippers as before no negatives, then two hand pinch w/ thumb savers: 163# one rep with 3 count hold and 10 mini reps, 173# same thing

dexterity shots rotations, extensor bucket work and isometrics on the euro

contrast baths to finish

Today did RT, warmup to 155# five second hold left, 165# 3-4 second hold right

wrist wrench device 3x5 w/ 55# each hand

overcrush ghp 5/ SM/ smooth out negative with ghp8, for each hand

• Like 1

It never was an acute pain. It was a weak feeling accompanied by a crazy pump in both arms, its happened on both side but more often the left. It only happens if a smoke the wrist exercises and thickbar.

BW 184.8

SM overcrushes, 3 singles each hand, was crushing down certain millimeter spacers, 1st round was 8mm, second was 4mm, and last was full crush down

2"axle bent over rows, 1x5 @ 185, high pulls, 1x3 @ 235#, thumbless 1x4 @ 305# (wanted 5 but struggled with fifth rep didn't lock out), power shrugs 1x8 @ 305#

RT bench supported rows, 1x12 each hand @132#

axle finger curls 2x10 @ 125#

Do you use compression sleeves for recovery when it acts up? Also you you know the wall stretch to open up the nerve channel down the arm?