Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Do you use compression sleeves for recovery when it acts up? Also you you know the wall stretch to open up the nerve channel down the arm?

Yes, and no. Can you explain the stretch?

At this point medical opinion would be tough, no apparent deformity or bruising, not even acute pain. Just a little sore today... I'm gonna start adding dedicated medium intensity biceps training to my routine. The one thing I know is they are now my weak link in thickbar.

Jon, I also have problems around the lower bicep/brach area whenever I increase plate curl/bicep work intensity as well as 50 lb. Blob curl attempts. Don't get that weird pump feeling you do, just have to rehab the area for a few weeks w/ light negatives of the movement that 'bit' me, etc. (I described what i do for rehab in another thread and can find it if needed). Have also noticed that even a minor injury affects thickbar/Inch strength, so it is also my weakest point now. I think overcoming this difficulty will bring me to another level of Inch/thickbar strength, so I am focusing on it until something else is the weakest point. Funny, because I used to think biceps were primarily a 'vanity' muscle, but a few injuries in the area have highlighted their importance in thickbar. I can still lift the inch RH, but think I could hold it longer if my bicep was 100% (is 90+% or so now, only hurts a little during full flexion).

Am also interested in NBranson's compression sleeves for recovery and wall stretch to open up the nerve channel. I'll let you know if I learn anything else.

At this point medical opinion would be tough, no apparent deformity or bruising, not even acute pain. Just a little sore today... I'm gonna start adding dedicated medium intensity biceps training to my routine. The one thing I know is they are now my weak link in thickbar.

Jon, I also have problems around the lower bicep/brach area whenever I increase plate curl/bicep work intensity as well as 50 lb. Blob curl attempts. Don't get that weird pump feeling you do, just have to rehab the area for a few weeks w/ light negatives of the movement that 'bit' me, etc. (I described what i do for rehab in another thread and can find it if needed). Have also noticed that even a minor injury affects thickbar/Inch strength, so it is also my weakest point now. I think overcoming this difficulty will bring me to another level of Inch/thickbar strength, so I am focusing on it until something else is the weakest point. Funny, because I used to think biceps were primarily a 'vanity' muscle, but a few injuries in the area have highlighted their importance in thickbar. I can still lift the inch RH, but think I could hold it longer if my bicep was 100% (is 90+% or so now, only hurts a little during full flexion).

Am also interested in NBranson's compression sleeves for recovery and wall stretch to open up the nerve channel. I'll let you know if I learn anything else.

Thanks Bob, I still do plate curls but with good caution. I will probably never attempt a blob curl - as I was doing reps with a 40# on a bench when I first started having this issue. Gotta take better care of my wrists...

Today ATG squats 3x5 @ 205

wind sprints

overcrushes on the Super Master once again. Crush starting to feel like a natural movement again - such a damn CNS driven exercise... it's like I have to remap the nervous system to get back into the 160s-170s

strict plate curls w/ inclined bench, doubles each hand w/ 35#

blob work once again, various holds don't remember

I'll get a video for you and link it here.

Full length compression sleeves will help with the tissue recovery by improving circulation and keeping swelling down. Most people make the mistake of not wearing them long enough. If you train in the morning wear them the rest of the day when you're having issues. Overnight if you train in the evening.

EDIT: I would also add that if you not checked for Scalene knots and trigger points do so.

General Bicep volume is simple as I am sure you both know. I personally recommend using dumbbells for it, reverse curl 4-6 reps and 12-15 regular or supinating. Should be no real straining on either.

Edited by NBranson
  • Like 1

Ok, sorry about clogging your log a bit here.

I was not able to explain it in the video so bear with me typing it here. It look almost like a basic all stretch. Note how I flex my fingers in the beginning making sure the second knuckle is OFF the wall. After turning my body away from the wall I actively push the knuckle into the wall, hold and then relax and turn further from the wall. Push the knuckle in again. If you did it right you will know it, will be a feeling you've likely never had. Do not push it or force it, slowly come out of the stretch. Let me know any questions.

http://youtu.be/XRGCCKkazXE

• Like 2

Ok, sorry about clogging your log a bit here.

I was not able to explain it in the video so bear with me typing it here. It look almost like a basic all stretch. Note how I flex my fingers in the beginning making sure the second knuckle is OFF the wall. After turning my body away from the wall I actively push the knuckle into the wall, hold and then relax and turn further from the wall. Push the knuckle in again. If you did it right you will know it, will be a feeling you've likely never had. Do not push it or force it, slowly come out of the stretch. Let me know any questions.

http://youtu.be/XRGCCKkazXE

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I tried it out and it actually felt quite good on the arm/forearm tissue. This will be part of my stretching regimen.

back off week with grip, will hit axle hard though on thursday most likely

last few days have been lighter and more technique driven, working isos on pinch and the mental aspect of building radiant tension in the hands/wrists on the setup. Pinching is as much an art and skill as it is a strength. Its just as much learning to maximize friction to surface area as it is to hang on for dear life... My pinch needs a lot of work but i believe this intense work will take me to the next level - as i've been stagnating between 200-210 for a year and a half

today did BW work and one hand pinch taps, also mixing in tension drills two hand.. three seconds of isometric tension followed by the pull.

• Like 2

I have found that the 1HP is in my case largely about strength and little about technique. My first encounter with 4x10k plates is a prime example. I pulled them the first time I ever tried this (at a width I never train) so it could in my case hardly be classified as a technical feat. However I think we both struggle greatly to transfer this strength into the 2HP. It could be a matter of technique but I would not rule out the possibility that it also has a non-identified anatomical component in our tendons/bone shape etc.

Pinching is as much an art and skill as it is a strength. Its just as much learning to maximize friction to surface area as it is to hang on for dear life...

Hmm perhaps I'm different but muscle memory in the 1hp makes more of a difference than my overall hand strength level Mikael... Getting the right feel on set up gives my grip a shot of confidence which is obviously a mental thing but it makes a discernible difference.

Earlier today tried pulling axle but felt weak - not jacked up etc.... Ended up quitting after planning on a 5x5 at 325#... Only ended up with a lousy triple - bar just seemed to spin more than normal. Perhaps my wrists aren't healed up. Did 2hp instead and worked up to 183#... Did 3 holds for five seconds, then got warmer and managed 3 more ten second holds... Stopped after that. Lousy workout tho- ill need to regroup.

I have found that the 1HP is in my case largely about strength and little about technique. My first encounter with 4x10k plates is a prime example. I pulled them the first time I ever tried this (at a width I never train) so it could in my case hardly be classified as a technical feat. However I think we both struggle greatly to transfer this strength into the 2HP. It could be a matter of technique but I would not rule out the possibility that it also has a non-identified anatomical component in our tendons/bone shape etc.

Pinching is as much an art and skill as it is a strength. Its just as much learning to maximize friction to surface area as it is to hang on for dear life...

I think we have touched on this before but I'll give my thoughts again here. With the one hand pinch the best results seem to come when we place our thumb in opposition to the "center" of the fingers. Best results in one hand pinch seem to be when the thumb is placed in opposition to the index finger - allowing the rotation of the hands towards the little fingers to obtain opposition or a levering effect to be used to advantage. This may be more natural to some peoples hands than for others - as in the anatomical difference you spoke of. I find the two hand version to be h\very highly technical and one hand more about plain strength.

I think we have touched on this before but I'll give my thoughts again here. With the one hand pinch the best results seem to come when we place our thumb in opposition to the "center" of the fingers. Best results in one hand pinch seem to be when the thumb is placed in opposition to the index finger - allowing the rotation of the hands towards the little fingers to obtain opposition or a levering effect to be used to advantage. This may be more natural to some peoples hands than for others - as in the anatomical difference you spoke of. I find the two hand version to be h\very highly technical and one hand more about plain strength.

Yep I remember that conversation Chris. For some reason my 1hp feels more comfortable than 2hp - more natural. I seem to consistently set up the way I want more so one hand than two.

Today just did some gripper overcrushes and messed with blobs cuz it was the only thing I felt strong on.

Videos uploading..

Back 2 back blob days... Got the clean yesterday, now looking toward the snatch.. 183 BW

• Like 4

Damn good work ! Your dominating those man ! Too easy for you now ! Time to go bigger !

Edited by kodyburns
  • Like 1

Some crazy blobbing going on here!! Wow! :mosher

• Like 1

Damn good work ! Your dominating those man ! Too easy for you now ! Time to go bigger !

thanks bro i should be pulling an extra 20-25 here soon if i keep up the progress

Some crazy blobbing going on here!! Wow! :mosher

thanks man!

today BW was 184.. had to get a haircut so not much time.. went outside to tweak up my euro set up, ended up setting it at 54mm and took a couple mess around pulls. Felt great so i threw some weight on.. when 183 came up like nothing i went for 203 and then 213, got em both so i went for 218 and got it up about four inches twice but skin was starting to hurt. 220 should be right around the corner considering i've trained blobs the last two days and didn't warm up today. Healed and warm i should hit the magical 100kg which is over 35lbs over BW - stay tuned

• Like 2

What! I can't believe what I just saw!

All the blob drags have paid off. Once you get to where they become easy and your lifting, do plenty if time holds. It's all about time under tension. But the drags... The results speak for themselves

What! I can't believe what I just saw!

All the blob drags have paid off. Once you get to where they become easy and your lifting, do plenty if time holds. It's all about time under tension. But the drags... The results speak for themselves

I've been doing them :)

Quick note; bought some Working Hands cream last Thursday or Friday and have been using it frequently. I put it on 2-3x a day and at night I put it on before bed and wear compression gloves for better recovery. Maybe I've suddenly got stronger the last couple days but I'm thinking that the quality of my skin is driving many of the PRs on pinch I've been getting. Seriously, my skin is much improved and it makes a big difference on friction lifts. Just a thought!

• Like 2

Quick note; bought some Working Hands cream last Thursday or Friday and have been using it frequently. I put it on 2-3x a day and at night I put it on before bed and wear compression gloves for better recovery. Maybe I've suddenly got stronger the last couple days but I'm thinking that the quality of my skin is driving many of the PRs on pinch I've been getting. Seriously, my skin is much improved and it makes a big difference on friction lifts. Just a thought!

I also observed this - but I'm often too lazy to put hand cream on several times a day and at night - both works great!

• Like 1

BW 184.6

ATG squats, 3x5 @ 215 - fully crouched position, for some reason its easier on my knees? tell how that makes sense! real talk..

1hp, singles, started w/ 82.6#, to 92.6, then 98.6#, tried 103.4 missed left by a few inches, then 107 and 111.8 right handed. After i got 107 so easy it was scary - i had to take all my little dime and nickel plates off and put the intimidating 25s on... i knew it would mess with me mentally, seeing 25s on there and not pinching with both hands... kinda surprised i got it, but it felt like i probably had a few more pounds, didn't wanna risk missing a lift and ending on a sour note so i quit while i was ahead.

after that did some Big Horn lifts, up to 200#, but it felt heavy so i didn't push for any PRs

messed with some blob holds for time... best was 5 seconds left/15 right with the 50 nextgen

really having a good week! knowing that eventually i'll have a less inspiring workout, but its nice to ride the high and see the work pay off!

• Like 2

No knee probs here

No knee probs here

Yeah now that I've been doing them atg, i prefer it to parallel

Today just did RT and axle, and a little tension training on the pinch

RT, singles 123#, 148#, 158#, 168#, 178# right and left, missed left at 183# and continued to 193 w/ right

2" axle, hang cleans to 205# thumbless

Thumbless singles from 285-325#, increments of ten lbs, then DO same weight, 2 sets of six reps.

Finished w/ some active recovery

BW 184.6

ATG squats, 3x5 @ 215 - fully crouched position, for some reason its easier on my knees? tell how that makes sense! real talk..

The knee cap is trying to slide to the outside so your leg can bend, so when you stop it halfway(parallel) and then produce a bunch of torque from a relatively unstable position, it seems to me you'd be LUCKY if your knees didn't bother you at some point. Granted, if you're squatting Sumo, you are coming up out of a parallel knee position BUT you have bottomed out due to the anatomical limit of your hips & upper hamstrings, so there's not a lot of knee stress there. Just my 2 cents.