Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Been getting behind in this thing... still been training, albeit this week has been lighter

Last Friday training did pinch, up to 183 for 3 sets of 5 and one set of 6 and a half rep.

I did holds as well with 1hp, 5 seconds at 93#, 3 per hand

Today worked up on 2" axle, high pulls 3x3 at 285# then 1 set of ten at 310# DO, and one set of 7 thumbless same weight

did a set of plate curls 7 reps each hand w/ 35# and a few singles at 53# on the IM hub each hand

• Like 1

Great vids on the blobs , especially that Farmers walk!

Great vids on the blobs , especially that Farmers walk!

Thanks!

BW 183.2

Crossfit style w/o with the wifey

Ten reps each, 8 total rounds, on RT cut down to 5 reps after 3rd set, set 5 switched to 2" db rows

RT rows at 132, 40# db presses for ten, 5 burpees, 150 meter run, fast but not sprint.

On the 2" rows switched to 107# for ten

Slept horribly last night.. Late night snack didn't digest right...

Still managed some pinch volume, 2hp holds at 203# 3-5 second hold at top... Did 5 total at that weight... Last hold was about 8 seconds. Did dynamic thumb between reps focusing on speed

Same thing with fat 35s pinch, five second hold then thumbscrew work.

Finished w/ 1hp at 93# more five second holds for three each hand

Edited by jvance

Looks like the 183 class really suits you, Jon. Very nice lifting!

Looks like the 183 class really suits you, Jon. Very nice lifting!

Thanks Eric, I feel healthiest in the 180s. Hopefully strength gains won't stall out... Seem to be still gaining but very slowly.

BW 179.8, been sick and dropped a bit more weight than I'd like... Threw up last night but felt good enough to work a bit of pinch this morning.. Managed 6 five second holds w/ 193... Weight felt unusually heavy but again, having been so tired and dehydrated I'm happy to just get a little time under tension

Today BW 180

Axle singles to 355#

Back down to 325# for five

RT @ 132#, 3x5 explosive high pulls and isometric death grip on fifth rep, last set each rep was a 2-3 iso death grip

Stomach finally feeling better and getting better rest. Still not where I wanna be on axle but hands aren't getting any help from overall size and strength so I can't beat myself up about it. Still think I can pull 20-30# more at around 180

Wow - nearly double bodyweight on the AXLE!!!! :bow

Wow - nearly double bodyweight on the AXLE!!!! :bow

Thanks, been wanting to get to and stay at that level for a long time now.. time for a big push to get there and beyond

BW 182.4

today just put in some volume work w/ dexterity balls, 40# tractor weight pinch snatches and some various sledgehammer work. Mixed it in with toes to bar, elbow levers, dips, and front levers from the pull up bar... front lever feeling good after long layoff. Threw in some blob taps as well.. hands feel surprising beat up from the pinch snatches, i love it bc the eccentric phase downward hits pretty hard as i like to drop it down under control and lock it back out before fully lowering. Nice lil pinch plyos!

BW 182

2.5" axle hang snatch, singles to 120#, hang cleans to 180#, 5 singles on twenty second cycle, 2 more thumbless at 170#

one hand rack pull same bar, to 130# w/ pause hold, 140# for hops both hands

emptied bar to 100# and did one hand hang clean, left was sloppy but i've never done it lefty before, right handed was fairly easy, two per hand

alt. dips and 40# tractor weight pinch snatch, lower under control into addtl. hang snatch.. at this point i can only do two reps but i already feel stronger than when i first tried this a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

BW 183

Been training, just general weightlifting and mundane grip work.

Today broke out of the thickbar funk

2.5" axle P cleans to 210# (pr I think..,)

Same bar high pulls to 250#.. 260 very fast but not to rib level. Then singles DO 270, 280, 290, then 300# for a good pr I think... I think the most I've DO'd was 290 on this bar and that was at over 195# BW. Definitely getting stronger

Finished w/ some wrist rolling on 2" axle. Explosive rolling to 180# on the pin. Gets heavy quick

• Like 2

BW 181 even

Plyometrics

explosive situps into get up w/ narrow stance - much more powerful at this move - core strength highest its ever been

standing box (stair) jumps 39" at min distance of 45" away. Longest successful attempt from distance of 62" (over 5 feet)away from target height... approximately 20 leaps

two step off one leg attempt for entire 6 stair flight to landing, height 46" from distance of at least 55"

noteworthy did two muscle ups (clean form, not cheating one elbow at a time like before) at a whim yesterday while grilling some steaks... finding my explosiveness and overall athleticism has never been better as i near age 30

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

BW down to 179.2, ate a little extra subway today - want to stay above 183 til June

Gym after work

fat grips rows on 90# DB, 2x5 five fast pulls, the grips didn't fit the db really well - huge gap and flared out on the outside too... not optimal thickbar training

same dumbbell 3 or 4 cleans each hand

oly speed deadlifts, sets of 3 @ 225, 315, 365, overhand grip - callouses hurt, been too long!

fat grips DO high pulls @ 245, 5 singles, finished with 2 sets of 5 powershrugs

felt pretty powerful despite lower BW today.. feel like thickbar and explosiveness go hand in hand now, progressing better at a lower volume - higher intensity programming

BW down to 179.2, ate a little extra subway today - want to stay above 183 til June

Gym after work

fat grips rows on 90# DB, 2x5 five fast pulls, the grips didn't fit the db really well - huge gap and flared out on the outside too... not optimal thickbar training

oly speed deadlifts, sets of 3 @ 225, 315, 365, overhand grip - callouses hurt, been too long!

felt pretty powerful despite lower BW today.. feel like thickbar and explosiveness go hand in hand now, progressing better at a lower volume - higher intensity programming

What do you mean by huge gap on the thick bar rows? The dumbbells at my gym already have thicker than average handles so when I put a fat grip on they become HUGE.

Gym after work

What do you mean by huge gap on the thick bar rows? The dumbbells at my gym already have thicker than average handles so when I put a fat grip on they become HUGE.

that's what i meant dude... they fit all awkward, but it's making me stronger!

BW 181

grippers to 5x CoC 2.5 each hand, CoC 3 1x left, 2x right

2hp, took me a while to get warm today but felt stronger as time went on... singles to 193# on a 20 second cycle, 5 total

2.5" barbell one hand rack pulls, singles to 140# left, and 150# right (PR, pulled high and strong)

2" wrist roller from squat rack height, up to 212# to 30" off ground

pinch has been feeling weak lately but thickbar is coming back... grippers are still a good bit off where they used to be

Goofed off w/ grippers... Did some wide set stuff then attempted my ghp 8, surprisingly close to shutting it. Was less than 1/4" off.

Kinda got this goal of shutting a BW gripper, the 8 is 178 so I'd have to cut about 5 lbs and increase power. It can be done - and it will

• Like 1

Goofed off w/ grippers... Did some wide set stuff then attempted my ghp 8, surprisingly close to shutting it. Was less than 1/4" off.

Kinda got this goal of shutting a BW gripper, the 8 is 178 so I'd have to cut about 5 lbs and increase power. It can be done - and it will

Nice! I've been finding that doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time as training grippers hinders my progress with the grippers; especially thick bar lol. Does this happen to you too?

Thanks bro.

So yes to your question, but in the long run, the "other stuff" makes me overall stronger. It's been years since I've pr'd in grippers, but my overall grip is MUCH better, and I'm in a much better position now to make a run at some crush milestones.

• Like 2

BW 183.6

Strict slow dips, 5x5

Grippers, 3x5 w/ CoC 2.5 left (20 mil block), 1x5 right w/ 2.5, then 2x3 w/ #3

2hp to 193#, ten singles 20 second cycle between reps

2.5" wrist roller front/rear 170#, 2 rounds

fingerwalks, dex rotations and extensor bucket medley to finish

BW 183.4

NAGS format workout, didn't really max on grippers did block set grippers to 3x5 left on 2.5 and 2x3 right on hg300

2hp, 193# five singles w/ 3 sec hold, 20 sec between lifts, then 203#, five singles @ 20 sec rest

Axle singles to 360#, not too bad of a session... Getting 360 on the axle in a prefatigued state after all the heavy pinching means my top end should be a bit higher.

• Like 1

What about your Hub? Have you seen the same improvement on that end?

Haven't touched the hub in a while. I think I was around 60 last time I maxed. Truthfully I think hub is one of the least payoff exercises for overall grip power. Ill have to work some in sometime soon..

Numbers lookin good!