Mobsters Comp Diary

mobsterone

That ring is thin at 1/2'' thick. Ironmind's is 4 3/4'' inside diameter. The ring is 5/8'' thick. 1/2'' is going to hurt like crazy with the heavy weights.

I know!! Thank god we don't use the Swedish lift and hold for a 2 count rules. I have a section of skin the size of a penny/one cent coin to cut off my ring finger later :(

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• OldGuy

• gazza

• The Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

Pain tolerance is going to be a big factor. I have done 400 lbs on the Dinnie lift, but am too delicate to stand the pain it would take to lift more.

Pain tolerance is going to be a big factor. I have done 400 lbs on the Dinnie lift, but am too delicate to stand the pain it would take to lift more.

Again, strangely enough, I agree. I want to do the minimum lifting I can get away with on this movement. I did a lot more sets today to find out what numbers/weight I could do. Now I have an idea I'll probably do no more than 4 sets of triples, doubles and singles.

Skin on right hand ring finger is so raw its weeping and open. I'm gonna have to tape it up for the next effort although thats NOt allowed in the comp. Conifedent, once its healed, that 240 kg will be mine. I'm getting a nice t-shirt with me doing a monster lift made up for the comp by an artist called Tony Neighbour.

Steve you are using a loading pin for the Dinnie lift. In the competition you will be using a barbell with a chain fixed to the middle and the ring fixed to the chain.This means you can straddle lift it and have half the weight in front of you and half behind. You should be able to lift more with this setup.

I've got some heavy plaster type tape. The main problm is the skin gets dry and tight and then tears when I try to stretch it. I'll pop in the chemist this am and see what they say.

Struggled to pull 98 kilos on the 2" thick bar but the 2001 record was only 105 and there's 10 weeks so... Plus its not knurled.. lets see what happens.

Steve, we have had our differences and gotten into it a few times, but I am rooting for you to win! I respect that you don't carry grudges around with you. When the time comes I will be doing the events of the competition at home just for the fun of it. Do the plates fit snuggly on the two inch bar. Are you also using good collars to keep everything tight? I would make some reference marks to make it easier to find the balance point each time you lift.

Thank you oldguy. Right now there's a mark of chalk but I am considering measuring it out.

Re snugness etc. My old 1.5" bar was so loose the collars kept slipping off and that in spite of the ends supposidly being 2". This new Stan Pike made bar is spot on. The collars are, if anyhting, a little tight (I'm using spring type.

Re the comp. The IG record is only 105 and I feel certiain I can go, at the mo, 4 for 5 of the lifts to a high enough level to win. What I do on the day and how others perform... We will see. The only other comment is one I have made already. I have heard of certain remarks being made but for all those 2 (I know who they are) have said they haven't posted up a training diary.

Mobster.

Great reports...informative and good reading.Your lifts are just getting 'sick' :cry

So?basically you are hitting a big grip work out every 5th or 6th day?

Doing all singles?

3 to perhaps 5 or 6 singles of major exercises?

You have chosen to work specifically on lifts that will be the events in the contest?nothing else?

Are you able to do a full body workout during the 'off'time?Or do you bother when a contest is comeing up?

Are you continueing with your daily(KTA style)gripper training?

Whatever your doing is what i want to try?

(do you think this program will work in conjunction of a balls to the wall full body work out?which includes farmers walk every saturday?)

Good luck in your comp.

And even if you don't have time to answer all the questions?I've learned a lot from these work out posts.

Again some crazy shit?!!!! :rock:rock and i know what crazy shit is :whistel

Quick run down:

Tuesdays

Thick bar deadlift, leg press OR squat, bench machine and Pullovers

Thursdays

2.5" dumbbell deadlifts, weaver stick, pinch lift

Saturday (adjusted to include dinnie)

Dinnie, press (seated in rack), h/curls, closegrip bench, crunches.

Ad lib gripper work

I'm only doing same as comp and its all low reps and sets.

Piss poor session. :(

132.5 kg dumbbell

4 x 0 :(

Weaver stick (only good work all night).

L/H x 2.75 (16 lb ez bar)

R/H x 1.5 inch closer than last time

One hand pinch

L/H x 28 kg x 0

R/H x 38 kg x 0

Dinnie - even harder to get weight on loading pin at home (160 kg max) so set up a plain bar, put weights in centre and collars on outside and adjusted chain to 21.5" (approx).

L/H (on loading pin) x 125 kg easy

R/H (worked upto 160 kg on pin and chained to bar) x 210 x 0

Very disappointed.

Steve is seems like the equipment you have at home is very inadequate for your needs. As least get or make yourself a decent loading pin.

Knackered - I need to get back on Creatine (I bet you all thought I was gonna say D/Bol ha ha).

Trained hard tonight and was 1/2 happy.

After warming up on the bike, stretching etc I started off with Dinnie work using my loading pin at my local gym. I worked up to 127.5 kilos (a new pb) with my left hand - felt good and tried 207.5 kilos with my right. It did not budge. I had to drop to 180 kilos. I think the hand/finger soreness and fear held me back a little. I will endevour to add 2.5 k a week and get back to beyond 205 kg. I WILL WIN!

Worked up to 472.5 kilos x 4 on the leg press and did 2 x 2 (iffy) reps on the inc bench with 51.25 kilos a side.

Instead of doing Nautilus pullovers I decided to work to exhaustion on the thick bar and did 158.29 pounds left handed and just missed 224.43 pounds (3.2 kg less than the 2001 record) with the right hand from the floor. I then put the bar up on the pins in the power rack and did holds with the same until I was shagged.

I then dragged my ass back to my house.

Problems with my PC again!! meant I was unable to post. I'll have to put up more info later.

Tried Dinnie ring tonight and have torn the skin again. It stayed intact but has seperated form the layers below and now looks like a nasty blood blister. I may have to use the ring every 2 weeks. Even lifting lighter with my left meant small blood blisters and partial tears of the skin - its a nasty exercise.

Thick bar was a piece of piss.

Also did 480 kilos x 4 reps on the leg press.

Steve

Ya just gonna have to put up with pain and blisters for another 10weeks,it,ll all be worth it mate LOL.

the thick bars lookin gooooooood.

hows the weaver stick goin.

diggin STEVE and conquer the fear.

That's exactly the problem with the Dinnie - the idea that every time I do it I'll get an injury. I have a one inch thick pulley style hand I'd rather use to practise the weight etc than the damn thin bar (5/8th or 1/2 inch in my case) thats gonna rip my hand up.

If the Dinnie ring is as bad as you say it is (must be your "Fairy Liquid" hands :D ) then why not simply wear gloves (aghast noise) whilst training it? I doubt that the skin on your hands will adapt in the 10 weeks you have left, so why not save the skin-tearing to the day of the comp?

I don't normally agree with wearing anything on the hands, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do....

Mac is right. You need to train the Dinnie lift with the correct equipment, but you also must save those hands. Wear some suitable gloves and keep lifting with that ring. On the day of the competition you will have the strength, and your hands will be intact. During the event is the time to lose some skin if that is what it takes. If there are more events after the Dinnie and your hand is torn up you will just have to deal with it the best you can. My hands are like leather from the use of a wristroller. I find the Dinnie lift painful but lose no skin. Suitcase lifts with an EZ curlbar have toughened the hands too.

Now that Ironmind has stated the world record for the RT you have a known number to go after.

Thanks OldGuy,

Mobster,

It sounds like the skin on your hands will be the limiting factor on your performance - if you go into the event with torn hands (even if you allow them to heal for a few weeks beforehand) they are that much more likely to tear on the day. Of course blood and pain is all in a day's work with heavy lifts but it should happen only when truly necessary.

I like the callouses on my hands, but have learnt recently that they can be a real detriment to my performance on heavy supporting lifts so have started to try and keep them down. It now seems as though they are much smoother but somewhat tougher - I have been suprised how much difference it has made.

Edited by The Mac