Mobsters Comp Diary

mobsterone

Ok - tried some of the lifts and feel sure that I can beat old PR's and match some of da big boyz.

1 hand pinch - already beating old record - there must be quite a bit of carryover from other work I've been doing

Two Hands Dynamometer - I can't really practise this but feel sure heavy partials will test my hands as well. However, I'm told a quick powerful movement is best - explosive - as opposed to a slow squeeze like I'd normally do.

One Hand Dinnie Lift - this one will hurt - pure and simple so I'll stick to siingles thanks and go for max attempts. I may wrap my hands for training just to get support structures strong (ie lower back). I'm getting a ring made and may ask them to make me a 2 inch handle and or bar as well.

Weaver Stick Lift to Rear - who's the daddy? Me thinks a certain DH and one or two others will want the crown! So I'll have to work to stay ahead.

One Hand 2” Bar Deadlift (no hook grip) - gonna have me some fun with this. I'm sure 300 is within reason. I will, as above, either do 1.5" bar work and 2.5" dumbbell work or buy a 2" thick bar and kick ass!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• OldGuy

• gazza

• The Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday Main grip wo of the week.

Thick handled db - tried and got (only just off floor) 4 x 1 x 294 pounds.

EZ Weaver - worked up to a painful 21 pounds L/hand and 23.7 R/hand.

Pinch: up to 63 lbs L/Hand and failed (too big a jump over previous PB) with 96, dropped to 90 lbs and just got this (but barely) with R/Hand.

Tuesday session starts with one hand thick bar deadlift (still waiting for both Pullums and Pike to give me a quote on 2" thick bar and dinnie ring).

Worked up to 30 k each side of my 25 k bar (85 k left hand) and 50 k each side (125 k / 275 pounds) right hand on the 1.5" thick bar

Main weekly session:

Thick handled dumbell - a REAL BUGGER to set up, I get a sweat on just loading it! 4 attempts with 131 kilos (295.5 lbs) with only one anything like OK. I'm gonna stay another week at this weight.

Weaver stick / EZ bar (16 lbs) - worked up to 2.25 kilos left hand and 3.75 kilos right hand (24.2 lbs). They damn well hurt!

Pinch Grip - up to 25.5 kg (64 lbs) left and 35 kilos (85 lbs) right. I'm gonna do wonders this year compared to past efforts.

Mental... I'm motivating myself each and everytime now with the thoughts of the competition, winning a trophy, breaking records, not letting myself down, going to new levels - loads!!

It's really motivating to read your training log Mobsterone!! :mosher

I hope you keep it up after the contest your entering.

Jon@han

Just got off the phone with Stan Pike and he's making me the ring and bringing me down a six foot long - non-knurled (knurling it cost wayyyyyy too much for me) and 2" thick cold rolled steel bar for £40.00 on May 10th for the Kettlebell and grip seminar on May 11th.

Re fairbar: I have been holding and gripping 2" thick tubes and this feels like the right size for me... be warned :tongue

Tuesday 1.5 inch barbell workout.

Hard work and wasn't happy with what I did. Both targets hit in that weight came off floor but grip was opneing and I didn't stand all the ay before I felt the weight about to fall. I'll be doing the same weight again.

Left hand up to 198 pounds (32.5 k e/s of the 25 k bar) x 2 attempts

Right hand to 281 pounds (51.25 k e/s etc) x 2 attempts

Thursday main grip workout

Same damn set up problems with thick handled dumbbell meant just one good rep again so yet again I will stay with this weight.

296.8 pounds x 1 of 4 attempts.

Weaver Stick still hurts - it don't get any easier but I was annoyed enough to see a 5 kilo disc on the end of the 16 pound bar (visulized DH training :) )I WILL do that weight soon.

Left Hand to 2.5 kilos (21.5 total lbs) x 1 rep (PB)

Right hand to 4 kilos (24.8 total lbs) x failed attempt.

Pinch is coming on good

Left hand to 26.5 kilos (66.5 total lbs) x 1

Right hand to 36.5 (88.4 lbs) x 2 attempts - hand/fingers cramped up.

Do you feel that it is better to train the Weaver lift using a curl bar rather than an actual Weaver stick?

Short answer: No. Its what I had to hand (pun intended).

I've just set up and experimented with a metal tube style broom handle I found in a cupboard. I've decided that come August I want to be doing 10 kilos plus (22lbs) in the competition as opposed to my old record of 7.55 kg/16.75 lbs.

I will train in 2 ways. One is as so far working up in weight on the e-z bar and another is progressively working my way along the handle with the max weight (10kg/22lbs) already loaded. I have marked the handle with tape at the 36" and 42" mark and have put a permanent marker pen in the gym to mark where I lifted it from before. This will have the advantage of allowing me to overcome mental barriers.

It should also be noted, by those that haven't competed, that competition brings out the best so if I can do 10kg here, what will I do in competition...

Good Thursday Grip session.

Started late (which seems to suit me) at 10pm.

Thick handled dumbbell. Set up right and did 4 x 1 (all of them) with 130 dead. Best single came up to knee - damn its heavy!!

Weaver stick lift. With 10 kilos on I did short lever work slowly but surely moving my hand away from the weighted end and ended up 1.5 inch further down the rod than last time (marked with permament marker).

Pinch. Not so good. It'd appear that the earlier success took the edge of. I had 27.5 set for Left hand and 36.5 set for right..

My hand/fingers also weren't cramping with effort like the previous thursday session.

As an aside i did have a very good but tiring Tuesday session at gym with 467.5 kilos (1034 pounds approx) leg press for 4 reps, 2 x 2 x 50 kilos on inc lever bench (best yet) and 130 kg (290 ) x 4 on old Nautilus Pullover.

It'll be interesting to see how I get on tonight. I have been very 'nder the weather' with a flu like virus the last few days. I was also waiting in all day (bar a 20 min visit to a doc - just across the road) for the delivery of the new bar and Dinnie ring.

Also had a nice long chat with Robert Baraban and he, like Gazza, has offered me a grip dyno to train on for August 2nd. :D What nice people.

Steve

Thats what its all about mate,helping friends out :D Hope Roberts Dyno helps ya do the honours mate.

Looks like the rest of your trainins goin well mate :rock

Phew! Just finished the workout and once again the old hand ® was cramping up a little after the last one handed pinch work. I seemed to be highly motivated tonight and had my, now regular, 2 cups of coffee pre training although this time training was at 8pm and not 10pm like the last session.

I had to add a little more weight to the dumbbell as again I spent energy trying to lift it while the handle turned and so did...

2.5 " Thick handled dumbbell

0 x 132kg, o x 132kg, 1 x 132.25 and 1* x 132.25 (* right upto above knee height- v good lift) (132.25 kg approx 299 lbs)

In between my single attempts I was setting up and warming up on the next lifts so I was doing singles, doubles and triples with an empty ab and broomstick on the Weaver stick lift.

Weaver Stick

R/H did another 1" further down the handle and felt like I could do more with 10 kilos (whole apparatus is heavy chain, handle and 10 kilo discs - probably weighs about 24 pounds whgich is what I intend doing at the competition). I did 2 x 1 with the same position.

L/H on ez bar did an easyish 2.5 plus bar (about 22 pounds although its physical feel is not the same as a weaver stick with the same weight on).

One hand pinch

L/H worked up to 27 kilos (total weight 67.6 pounds) x 1

R/H worked up to 36.5 kilos (as above with 88.5 pounds) x 2 x 1

On the pinch I did an easy 10kilos (28 pounds) warmup, then took a mid way between w/up and top weight (ie 17.5 to 18 kg L/H and 22.5-23 kg R/H) and did 1 x 1 with the weight.

Quick pop quiz: are any of the training diaries here of people I'll be up against in the comp and if not why not (can u smell what the Mobster is cooking?)?

Steve

24lbs on the Weaver your havin a laugh aren,t ya mate :D

Have you got your Stan Pike stuff yet mate and if so ,i hope you,ve broken them in with some respectable poundages :whistel

299 0n the d/bell :bow When you gonna go over the 300ibs menytal barrier,get some magnets.

36.5kilos pinch on slick plates,cool,you should be able to add10/15% more on the day as the plates in the comp are easier to lift,than those nice slick ones,plus you will have upped your 36.5k on your setup by then anyway,you might even make Dave sweat abit on this one.

Steve

Only my opinion mate,but i dont think that other people in the British Grip Champs this year,in your categorie will post there training schedule/poundages,dont no why as its only healthy competition,but

FEAR :D can do strange things to people.

Those are truly mindboggling poundages on the thick handled dumbell!!!!

Just for a reference for beginner's in heavy thick handled dumbells, do you remember your starting poundages when you first tried thick dumbells Mobster??

Jon@han

Mobster,

132.25kg = 291.5lbs - I assume you are adding the dumbell to the plates (quoted weight)??

Great lifting.

Yes its 132.25kg plus the 2.5 " thick handle, rod (a power rack pin) and (bulldog) collar for 299.6 pounds.

Starting weight. It'd be in an old training diary but I'd guess around 120-150 pounds.

My new toys arrived today and I will need, ahem, to get my hand in with the 2" thick bar. However, the dinnie ring is another story. I worked up to 120kg left hand and 205 kg right hand (pulled a nice chunk of skin off on the last attempt).

As its set up now the most I can get on the loading pin was 10 x 20 kilo plates and so rested 2 x 2.5 kg's on the top plate. I then tried adding, just to see if I could (not to lift yet) 2 x 55 pound db's. In this way, with it being my first attempt and all and 11 weeks/training opportunities left I feel that I can do well over 240 kg.

It's identical to the measurements specified in the 2003 Iron grip comp rules 5.5" diameter and 1/2" thick. I'm using a carabina and a 1" diameter Ironmind loading pin. I measured it earlier at 21" tall which is a 1/2" short of the allowed 21.5" specified.

The 6 foot long 2" bar has collars welded 10" in from each end and no knurling and weighs a little over 67 pounds (I think 67.4 but I have now left it at my local gym). I need to mark the centre and may add some (a la our aussie mate) skateboard tape where it will be knurled in the competition. Bizarrely lifting with my left was more balanced than the right.

That ring is thin at 1/2'' thick. Ironmind's is 4 3/4'' inside diameter. The ring is 5/8'' thick. 1/2'' is going to hurt like crazy with the heavy weights.