Arnold's Sports Festival 2013, Sorinex Mighty Mitts

1stCoC

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Sorinex for their LONG time support of these forums. They have been with us from the beginning! :rock

Bill was the first to contact me many years ago about the idea of forums. Cyberpump and the Grip Board have been a good experience and valuable place for education to change hands as well as grip to grow. Many friends have been made through Bills efforts. I think loyalty is a two way street and support goes both ways for things to work. In this case I think it has.

The totals listed for the prize money , expenses and, gift package will be available to each competitor and every place and competitor IS included....everyone will be attended to that is competing. The prizes will be place 1-10 on the frame And 1-8 on the medley. If you do some quick math that is over 11,000 divided between 10 men during the two days. No one arrives or leaves with "nothing to show "for their efforts. There is no entry fee required by competitors as well. The buck starts and stops with Sorinex.

Having young, strong son I am proud Bert has shouldered another task of giving back. This will be the first year of the inclusion of a Highland games event at the Arnold's and to help get something near and dear to his heart off the ground he is doing double duty as a sponsor to that as well. Bert turned Pro in Highland games after winning the Amateur World Championships. An untimely injury and his devotion to family and business has refocused his efforts to being still an avid supporter of the kilted warriors.

Having young, strong son I am proud Bert has shouldered another task of giving back. This will be the first year of the inclusion of a Highland games event at the Arnold's and to help get something near and dear to his heart off the ground he is doing double duty as a sponsor to that as well. Bert turned Pro in Highland games after winning the Amateur World Championships. An untimely injury and his devotion to family and business has refocused his efforts to being still an avid supporter of the kilted warriors.

Richard or Bert - where are the HG going to be held?

The Highland Games event will be held on Sunday March 3rd. at the park area across from the Sheraton Hotel. This ,from what I hear is going to be premium ,high quality event having the winner going to the World Championships. We are looking to see the very best represented in the line up.

The Highland Games event will be held on Sunday March 3rd. at the park area across from the Sheraton Hotel. This ,from what I hear is going to be premium ,high quality event having the winner going to the World Championships. We are looking to see the very best represented in the line up.

Most excellent. I heard a rumor of Weight Over Bar being contested on the main stage? Any insider confirmation of this?

Sorinex raises the bar yet again.

Richard,

Once again I commend you on the graft and personal finances you and your team put into promoting this event! I heard of the Highland Games from David Webster who is also burning the candle at both ends like normal. He never stops which is incredible considering his age now.

David is a treasure,a walking history book. I well never forget his story of how as a lad he unearthed the Dinnie Stones from under the famous Potarch bridge and helped restore them and their legend for years to come.I think the addition of the Games to the Arnold's is adding a wonderful level to a great celebration of fitness ,skill and strength as well as a fitting tribute to Mr. Webster.

Every year the event gets better and better.

It is a pity that some of the athletes with a strong grip is involved in Strongman Classic (Shaw, Burke, Felix) or do not participate (Williams, Snook).

Mr. Burke and Felix is in for day two! Brian Shaw is trying to work around an arm injury so he thought not to risk further problems. We tried to open our events to all that were qualified and willing no matter what their size or skill set. Everyone had a chance to submit their request to compete. A funny thing... Not one inquired about "a prize" before signing up. I think all have their hearts and hands in the right place! I wish in time to come interest will grow mainstream and ask for masters and ladies to have their day as well! Odd would probably have to be a hundred before anyone could beat him.

• Like 1

Richard - I had the chance to train with Andrew - Brad, and JL up at Andrews Saturday in their preparation for Mighty Mitts . First time I had seen your new grip machine and the Saxon bars - sweet! Training with those three proved rather humbling but really a good time. We did a makeshift frame with two Rolling Thunders for handles - an interesting event to be sure.

Man , it sounds like everyone is really ramping it up. I have heard some eagle clawed contestants are bolting deep dish plates together with 100s on the back side to represent the Zuver 200s lift. Some are hanging like bull bats from door sills. Don't tell me our grip brothers are not inventive. Chris ,your observations and insight are much appreciated!

Richard - I had the chance to train with Andrew - Brad, and JL up at Andrews Saturday in their preparation for Mighty Mitts . First time I had seen your new grip machine and the Saxon bars - sweet! Training with those three proved rather humbling but really a good time. We did a makeshift frame with two Rolling Thunders for handles - an interesting event to be sure.

how heavy did you go with that rig? although the RT doesn't look it, it can handle some serious weight.

how heavy did you go with that rig? although the RT doesn't look it, it can handle some serious weight.

I did like 320# of it - but I was close to the low man I think out of maybe 7 or 8 guys - I know the "big 3" all went much higher.

Man , it sounds like everyone is really ramping it up. I have heard some eagle clawed contestants are bolting deep dish plates together with 100s on the back side to represent the Zuver 200s lift. Some are hanging like bull bats from door sills. Don't tell me our grip brothers are not inventive. Chris ,your observations and insight are much appreciated!

Hi Richard,

Will you be having any chances for a dark horse this year ? I seen that you tailored the contest more towards hand power alone versus overall strength. Do you have any more spots to fill ? I sent Bert an email yesterday evening.

Kody Burns

Edited by kodydelone

I did like 320# of it - but I was close to the low man I think out of maybe 7 or 8 guys - I know the "big 3" all went much higher.

320 and you were low man. who else was there besides you and big 3? that is some serious weight for RT handles. i am trying to wrap my head around this. how high did they go, maybe 420-430#?

Here’s what I did at Andrews – some items were fixed weight obviously – others we just kept working up until we all failed and dropped out one by one.

Blobs – I could get a couple inches on either one but no loads or even close – especially left handed I suck at wide pinch right now (even more than usual)

Saxon Bar – Andrew had two of them – one a lot easier than the other. Not sure what weights we all did – I know I couldn’t keep up at the end. There is a technique to these that allowed us all to do better after we figured it out – not sure what the weight is going to be or even what anyone including myself worked up to..

Andrew’s Anvil (had weights on it and chain added to make weight) Not sure how it will compare to the MM one of course as to horn shape – I “floated” it but never broke the floor until we took the chain off and then I broke it from the ground maybe an inch or so.

Wrist Roller – it wasn’t like the real thing so doesn’t really count – it’s a “finisher” – that’s for sure – better do this one last

Zuver 200# Plates – I floated them both at once (these were several plates together of course - to make 200#) – I want to say I could do them in a comp where I was psyched and willing to just eat the pain involved – edges were kind of sharp on these.

Grip Machine – got it with 180 on it. It was up on a platform so you couldn’t cheat it with a DL.

Circus Bell – I could dead lift it OK but I’m too weak to high pull it fast enough to get it up on the platform – I’d lose it when I got to the loading part.

Inch Dumbbell – I’ve never lifted one completely before and this time was no different – barely broke from the floor was all.

2 -45s – I just got a couple inches on these – a lot will depend on the plates used of course. I lift some plates and miss some – depends on the plates.

Hand Grenade – easy I thought – Andrew said this might be changed to a bigger diameter perhaps – that will certainly change things up! Depends on the weight chosen – I hung in there with everyone on this one.

Homemade Frame lift - I did 320# - missed 370# - I got left hand side just off the floor, right hand exploded off each time before liftoff. Can’t wait to see Richards setup.

I’d like to think I could do a couple more items than I did if I trained up for this on the right equipment but who knows - probably kidding myself.

Anyway it was a ton of fun. I won't say what was lifted by the big three but let's just say I got schooled pretty handily!

That all sounds really great I think it will be a super contest. It seems like the events agree with a broader scope of people. As for the Dark horse last year it was refreshing but hard to get it lined up while the show was getting ready. Please send info into Bert because if you are there there might be need for an alternate should a mishap occur. Thanks for report!

It was a great day with Chris, Nick, Nic, Brad, JL, Greg and Brandon. Grip sport has come a tremendous way since the 1st Mighty Mitts. To think that the Inch and anvil were stand alone events (and not everyone lifted them) to now where they are 2 objects of many and the anvil now has an extra chain attached. The Monster Bell has gone from only lifted by 3 men to thrown onto a 30" platform like a toy. This year continues to push the limits. The strongmen competitors are coming to attack the frame lift. This has never been allowed in the past. This is huge for grip sport. Thank you Sorin's for all that you contnue to do.

• Like 2

http://davedraper.com/blog/

You can see a picture of Richards 200# plates - talk about some Awesome looking things! These are great!

• 2 weeks later...

Loading up the festival equipment. Palets of stuff. It is amazing all you need to have at ready. The handles on the frame, Saxon bar ,grip grenades have really turned out amazing . The feel of the super dry lightly peened blasted surfaces gives a solid ,great feel to put all that horsepower to work. Although attractive most any painted or powder coated surface does limit or take away through a slick surface a certain amount traction that a plain steel naturally seasoned implement has. Yes ,it was extra work but , I think it will be appreciated in the results being a more true representation of hands against steel.

• Like 2