Arnold's Sports Festival 2013, Sorinex Mighty Mitts

1stCoC

We have batted this back and forth and still might change the handle with more experiment. What we really want to do is test grip and not so much the overall strength of one's body. While I like the idea of the possibility of weight lifted with a non revolving handle, I don't know if it is truly fair for the lighter lifters having to pull a half ton. I welcome more thought and discussion on this point. R.Sorin

My personal thoughts is with fixed handles we will see weights of 8-900# lifted. Revovling handles take it back down to 5-600#. A 18-20" pick height makes the fixed possible for one of the lighter guys, me.

Really good insight. Any thoughts on final handle size....2", 2.5",3"..............?

I think 3" is a dangerous size for average sized hands - extends the thumb too much unless hand size is pretty large and one has thumbs that "open" well. Historically we have the "Inch" size at 2.375" as I understand it and 2" with the "Appolon Axle" size (which I think was actually 1.9+" maybe). Either size is safe I feel for almost all hand sizes. The larger the handle the less weight will be possible is about the only difference I think between those two sizes.

I would hope the frame event is staged to be a valid test of the truest indicator of grip in that particular discipline. Big hands, big body, height or what ever else we were blessed with while being a help, hopefully won't be the deciding factor. Grip+Guts=Glory. ( the 3 G's)

While the deep dish York 45s are the holy grail level of pinch, the success over the past few years has been almost nil. Ideally an event will have a good spectrum of ability levels available and equipment matched for some measure of success within the group.Chad has been the lone master of these plates that I have seen in the past several years and he will not be with us so most likely the post 1972 York plates will be used. If overwhelming desire is voiced to use the "old guys "we might reconsider. Thanks to Climber Chris for his spot on insight.

Testing goes on....the Saxon bar will work well with a lot more weight than I can lift. We are hovering at the 200 lb. mark for fine tuning. There is a good chance we will leave the steel in a raw state where it is gripped to eliminate slick surfaces. The Yoke lift seems with revolving Inch sized handles in the low to mid 400s on initial inspection and it might be a very slight addition of plates be required to find a winner.A 2.5 lb addition might " win the day" it seems with that one the "grip is there or not." Glad the deadlift factor is taken out of the mix somewhat. The center to center distance between the free rolling 2.4" handles will be between 24 to 26 ". The grenade lift due to the monster sized hands might be moved to a 5" ball instead of 4" ,my small 7 7/8" hands can grasp the 5 and we find for the larger handed guys the fingers just wrap around too far changing the spirit and intent of the lift using the 4". The anvil the Jowett sized 173 lb clone will probably be loaded up using a chain wrap to about 200.Onward we go. Any input as usual is appreciated. R.Sorin

• Like 1

Richard - On the Saxon Bar - which thickness will they be using - the 3" or the 4"?

3" thick Saxon bar. There are two dimensions but the 3 " seems about right as tested so far. I wonder how the modern plate pinch device record relates to the number that can be lifted on this? Am I correct in assuming that if the record is 250 ish that no one could slap two loose steel disks together that we're about 1.5" thick and weigh 125 each could lift them.......or could they? I know a bar in the center would make a big difference in the slipping factor and favorable wrist counterbalance leverage. Just wondering what the experts think.

3" thick Saxon bar. There are two dimensions but the 3 " seems about right as tested so far. I wonder how the modern plate pinch device record relates to the number that can be lifted on this? Am I correct in assuming that if the record is 250 ish that no one could slap two loose steel disks together that we're about 1.5" thick and weigh 125 each could lift them.......or could they? I know a bar in the center would make a big difference in the slipping factor and favorable wrist counterbalance leverage. Just wondering what the experts think.

I'm not sure on a 3" Saxon bar. Mine is 2" x 5" and my best on it was 275# when I was lifing mid 250's in training on the regular Euro pinch device we use in competitions. With a 3" x 4" Bar it is wider and therefore tougher to pinch for us normal hand size guys I bet but you could get a more tilt out of it too I would suppose with only a 4" side. Tough to know since it is relatively untested but 200# sounds like a good starting point on it. Now a pair of 125# plates at 1.5" thick would be quite the feat without a bar through the middle.

- Aaron

I have limited experience with the Saxon bar and none with a 3" thick one. The bar allows a little more tilt than the current 2 hand pinch setup we use in comps. The 3" fixed width should be harder than the width most generally used in competition - which is usually between 2 and 2 1/4" for most people - even those with pretty big hands. It should be an interesting event and one that has not been contested before on the main stage (or anywhere I am aware of). Looking forward to seeing what people do on it - and of course trying my hand on it someday.

We have put in the last 8 hours on framing out the yoke deadlift . The thing is really striking. To build something kind of unique ,massive , to exact size, height,weight, and rolling handles was an interesting journey. To get the fore and aft balance without having to step over or into it I think will be a real plus for the competitors as well. Another day welding out and painting and a new monster is born!

• Like 2

We've also decided to offer an exclusive discount to GripBoard Members for the 2013 Mighty Mitts Contest. See the thread above in the Sorinex Sponsor area for more details!

The Inch rolling handle yoke frame handles like a dream. The weight depending on the collars used be starting at 165 to 170 empty. The special century old resistance"plates" will bring the entry weight up to aprox. 390lbs. From there ,careful additions of weight will result in the overall winner in this last man standing event. Even 2 1/2 lbs. might launch the win. The handles revolve smoothly and are not knurled and will be left natural steel in finish. The height of the yoke will be sufficient to not make it a deadlift event but a true test of mighty mitts. The center to center measurement of the Inch style handles is 26.5" so arms will be in a natural hanging position but not touching the body.

The Inch rolling handle yoke frame handles like a dream. The weight depending on the collars used be starting at 165 to 170 empty. The special century old resistance"plates" will bring the entry weight up to aprox. 390lbs. From there ,careful additions of weight will result in the overall winner in this last man standing event. Even 2 1/2 lbs. might launch the win. The handles revolve smoothly and are not knurled and will be left natural steel in finish. The height of the yoke will be sufficient to not make it a deadlift event but a true test of mighty mitts. The center to center measurement of the Inch style handles is 26.5" so arms will be in a natural hanging position but not touching the body.

You went with the 3" handles on the frame?

• Like 1

Inch bell like 2.5" handles we're chosen. It looks awesome with the first set of " steel wheels" on it from a 100 year old steam tractor. Mr. Williams a former great champion and competitor at Mighty Mitts declined to participate this year. Best of luck to him and his future plans.

• Like 1

Inch bell like 2.5" handles we're chosen. It looks awesome with the first set of " steel wheels" on it from a 100 year old steam tractor. Mr. Williams a former great champion and competitor at Mighty Mitts declined to participate this year. Best of luck to him and his future plans.

Richard - on the Mighty Mitts link that Andrew posted it shows 2 - 3" handles is why I asked.

Event Two: Mighty Mitts Max Effort

2-3” diameter handles on a frame type apparatus (similar to a Trap bar). Parallel handles are revolving and non-knurled. Athlete will stand between the handles and perform a deadlift top-end partial lift or “lock out”. Handle height will be roughly above the knees of all athletes. Event will be run in a “last man standing” fashion, with the Frame weight going up in predeter- mined increments until only one contestant remains. Each athlete has 30 seconds to attempt a successful lift, they can try as many times as they like in the 30 seconds. Once the athlete has completed the full lift, they can wait and move on to the next weight when it comes around, or choose to perform more reps during the remaining allotted time (in that attempt). Once multiple rep attempts are commenced, the athlete forfeits his chance at the next weight. If the athlete fails to achieve one full rep in the allotted time, he is out of the competition and rotation. There is no quantity of rounds pre-specified. This will be a heavy, max-out style event, but the limiting factor is targeted to be grip strength rather than overall body strength.

Athletes may use: chalk and Liquid Grip during events. Belts, wraps and compression gear can also be used.

We try to provide the best we can as far as equipment and fair opportunity. We do reserve the right to change any event to enhance the Arnold's experience , safety of our competitors, and crew. We still are having an extra set of 2" handles at ready but , the 2.5 seems the chosen most agreed on size handle and is planned to be used.

As part of the medley a wrist roller similar in action to last years has a whole new very interesting look. The way the weight ascends is a thing of beauty. I hope all will like it. Part of it will be a tribute to a great in Iron History.

I was updated that at the moment the roster will include two strongmen on the max yoke frame event. Mark Felix and Mike Burke have requested to be included. A real grip standout Brian Shaw was interested but is dealing with an arm injury at this time. The events are scored as separate on each day. The prize package has grown and will be posted today. A number of people have had interest in how the equipment, prize money and added support for the athletes is provided. The venue is provided by the Arnold's Sports festival and 100% of all prizes, funds, and equipment is given and sponsored by Sorinex.

• Like 1

I have been involved in grip for the past 51 years of my life and the involvement with the Mighty Mitts contest has been a real joy. We at Sorinex try every day to live strength not just sell it. I think as fine a men that are competing ,dead game one and all they would compete for no reward or financial gain but we chose to do what we can to give back and support grip. My son and I have budgeted the following amount to be allocated to prizes, gift certificates and travel and expenses to the group a total of 11,125.00. Medley prize money is 3200, frame Inch deadlift is 4025,gift certificates for competitors 1500, travel and food allocation for both event competitors ( those competing both days)2400, which should add up to 11,125.00. Added to this is an additional personal discount for the following year of 15% off any Sorinex brand grip and strength equipment. This, I think is the largest payout for any grip event held in the world to date. I only ask that people of grip do what they can to support these fine athletes representing grip. Thank you, Richard Sorin

• Like 5

Richard, your devotion and generosity towards grip is simply amazing. The grip community is incredibly fortunate to have you!

I have been involved in grip for the past 51 years of my life and the involvement with the Mighty Mitts contest has been a real joy. We at Sorinex try every day to live strength not just sell it. I think as fine a men that are competing ,dead game one and all they would compete for no reward or financial gain but we chose to do what we can to give back and support grip. My son and I have budgeted the following amount to be allocated to prizes, gift certificates and travel and expenses to the group a total of 11,125.00. Medley prize money is 3200, frame Inch deadlift is 4025,gift certificates for competitors 1500, travel and food allocation for both event competitors ( those competing both days)2400, which should add up to 11,125.00. Added to this is an additional personal discount for the following year of 15% off any Sorinex brand grip and strength equipment. This, I think is the largest payout for any grip event held in the world to date. I only ask that people of grip do what they can to support these fine athletes representing grip. Thank you, Richard Sorin

Richard - a huge Thank You for all you have done - and are doing for Grip! Prizes, equipment, and labor - wow - that's a serious commitment!

INCREDIBLE support of Grip Richard. Your efforts blow me away.

I hope everyone sees this post and understands how amazing it is.

I truly want to express my gratitude to Richard, Bert, and the entire Sorizex team who prepares for this comp each year.