Arnold's Sports Festival 2013, Sorinex Mighty Mitts

1stCoC

We are putting the final structure together for this years Arnolds Sports Festival Mighty Mitts contest in early March 2013. We plan to give opportunities to outstanding participants in , Highland Games, Arm Wrestling, Strongman, and of course grip purists to perhaps explore who may be the dark horse athlete with truly the strongest grip . If you are interested and with qualifications that are notable in the grip associated world of strength please contact Richard@sorinex.com. Active, present top competitors will all be welcomed for review as well as past competitors in Mighty Mitts if ready ,and able need to submit their request and qualifications. Thank you, Richard Sorin

The good news Richard.

What will be the events in 2013? Farmer Inch one or two things? Monster 30 or 60 seconds?

What other? Like in 2012? Or something else?

We try to include some tried and true events using unique objects to make the "test" novel and test overall pure grip strength. There will be plenty of action in the events to test the limit of crush, holding and pinching power. I want to reach out to those legends in let's say a discipline like arm wrestling to see just to see what claim to strength their mighty arms might hold. R.Sorin

• Like 1

It will be very hard to find participants from other disciplines, such as armwrestling, who would be able to compete at the same level as established grip sport competitors. Andrey Pushkar (one of the top armwrestlers in the world) might do okay, and Brian Shaw (2011 World's Strongest Man) would certainly do well, but the majority of competitors in these sports would be at a significant disadvantage. If the goal is to demonstrate how strong of a grip the pure grip guys have, it will be accomplished through this format. If the goal is to have a contest with close results among participants from different disciplines, I don't think it will be possible.

Adam Glass needs to take part in this contest! His strongest areas are particularly suited to the Mighty Mitts events.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. We are looking at several areas of potential grip strength. Mr Glass is very impressive I would be glad for him to send in his request and up to date information. We will see who steps up to represent their favorite sport.

It will be very hard to find participants from other disciplines, such as armwrestling, who would be able to compete at the same level as established grip sport competitors. Andrey Pushkar (one of the top armwrestlers in the world) might do okay, and Brian Shaw (2011 World's Strongest Man) would certainly do well, but the majority of competitors in these sports would be at a significant disadvantage. If the goal is to demonstrate how strong of a grip the pure grip guys have, it will be accomplished through this format. If the goal is to have a contest with close results among participants from different disciplines, I don't think it will be possible.

Adam Glass needs to take part in this contest! His strongest areas are particularly suited to the Mighty Mitts events.

I would love to see Brian Shaw on Mighty Mitts. The way he held the 202 pound dumbbell 8 seconds, while for example Williams just took it - just incredible.

Brad Ardrey I think would be a great candidate. Just won Gripmas at Chris Rices gym with some impressive #'s . I think he had a huge dynomometer # at your both last year.

• Like 1

I saw him last year passing through our booth area. He was very impressive looking and seemed willing. I urged him to come back a little later to get a chance at being the dark horse candidate selected from the Arnold's crowd for Mighty Mitts. He later said he was planning to come back but missed it.I would highly suggest him officially contacting us with his bio and strength/ resume so at least he would be in the group to be considered. There are some great prizes and opportunities. If you have someone you feel is "really legit "please help them to get a shot by mentioning or helping them a bit to throw their hat in the ring. R. Sorin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The grip Hoss list continues to grow for consideration. If you are even thinking you are of the caliber or want to be on the radar for even next years event, It is better to throw your hat in or tag up that be "a silent, potential star". We will at least consider and review everyone contacting us. You can send request or any info to Bert@sorinex.com OR. Richard@sorinex.com

• 2 weeks later...

Given Mike Burke's recent performance, I'd love to see him mix things up at the Mighty Mitts event!

• Like 2

Given Mike Burke's recent performance, I'd love to see him mix things up at the Mighty Mitts event!

I wonder if he is in the Strongman competition. Given the money involved in that competition, I would wonder if he would risk it by entering the Grip contest. I wouldn't! But then again, a guy who certifies on the 3.5 AFTER two competitions has got something going for him...

I just checked and it turns out Mike is in fact competing in the Arnold Strongman Classic. It's a two day event, as is Mighty Mitts. The Mighty Mitts contest is held immediately following the Strongman contest on both days. Given the larger amount of prize money up for grabs for the strongman event, I guess there's little chance Mike will compete in Mighty Mitts.

As an update the Mighty Mitts contest will be a two day event, Friday and Saturday on the Arnold's main expo stage on March first and second. One competition day will feature a last man standing yoke type Inch size handled frame, the second day will have a medley with 10 events that pretty well cover all aspects of grip prowess. The events as scheduled ( with possible adjustments) will be Blob loading, Circus Bell load, anvil deadlift, Saxon bar deadlift, wrist roller,claw rim pinch deadlift of legendary Zuver 200lb. Plates, pinch deadlift of 2 -45lb.. Plates,squeeze shut plate loaded gripper,Inch bell load, and cannon ball vertical deadlift. Updates to follow. Come out and support grip as it moves again to a worldwide stage. R. Sorin

• Like 3

So will there be two grip events this year, rather than the usual four?

It turns out that the variety of exercises - it will be the greatest event in the history of the Mighty Mitts?

And the kind of athletes will be invited?

The same list in the past year?

And the budget?

The frame deadlift on a thick grip will be two handed, one handle in each hand. The frame will be off the ground so pure dead lifting power is hopefully secondary to absolute grip. The invites are still being finalized we are trying to give opportunities to people who have truly the most mighty mitts no matter what discipline they are part of. I truly look forward to seeing what man rules the day.

The frame deadlift on a thick grip will be two handed, one handle in each hand. The frame will be off the ground so pure dead lifting power is hopefully secondary to absolute grip. The invites are still being finalized we are trying to give opportunities to people who have truly the most mighty mitts no matter what discipline they are part of. I truly look forward to seeing what man rules the day.

I'm guessing from this description its a max deadlift with no farmers walk?

The deadlift with thick revolving handle frame will be a last man standing max. The contest will be scored and paid as two separate contest days. There are some really game ,great competitors. The fire will be turned up on the max frame day because we at the request and the desire to have the best men in grip represented no matter what their field of expertise some of the worlds best Arnold's Strongmen will be invited to have a go!

The deadlift with thick revolving handle frame will be a last man standing max. The contest will be scored and paid as two separate contest days. There are some really game ,great competitors. The fire will be turned up on the max frame day because we at the request and the desire to have the best men in grip represented no matter what their field of expertise some of the worlds best Arnold's Strongmen will be invited to have a go!

The Revolving handles will cut into the weights lifted

We have batted this back and forth and still might change the handle with more experiment. What we really want to do is test grip and not so much the overall strength of one's body. While I like the idea of the possibility of weight lifted with a non revolving handle, I don't know if it is truly fair for the lighter lifters having to pull a half ton. I welcome more thought and discussion on this point. R.Sorin

I have played around a good little bit with a frame DL with and without freely revolving handles when trying for new events for Gripmas (my yearly grip contest). Fixed handles allow a lot more weight to be lifted and at least in my mind are not as good a pure "grip" test as freeing turning handles will be. A frame with fixed handles is simply a support grip test as the hands are in opposition and can pull against each other (even with 2 3/8" handles) - with enough weight it will become a grip test but it's going to take a lot of weight done this way unless you turn it into a hold for time.

Edited by climber511