Quest To Certify

Broly

Yea it's been an internal debate for a while now but after this most recent business trip I took I just feel it's a great addition and very much missed. How do you get the beans to it's powder form? does your coffee maker do that? You can tell I'm a noob with making my own coffee.

I've got a grinder so can make them powdered.

A coffee brewer is all ya need once they're ground.

Interestingly enough, until I worked at Starbucks for months, I never drank coffee either. Now I love it.

I've been juicing for the past month or so using an omega 8006 which can also grind up coffee beans (had to google it to make sure). Can you hook it up with some coffee beans? I'll pay for shipping.

Yes. Let me work out shipping. Also, it'll be $4 a pound with the special gripboard discount.

5/13 - CORE

Squats

75x20,

Bench

75x15, 133x10, 153x8

Bent over rows

95x10, 111x8

Shoulder Press

45x10, 65x10

Axel mounted wrist roller

40x6secs, 50x6secs, 75x6 secs

Plate wrist curls

25x10

Bending

7" Lowes HRS 5/16 (1+2/3 IM Pads) x1

7" Lowes HRS 5/16 ( single IM Pads) x1, Fail

Now that I have my power rack I can get back to doing some big compound movements. I think this has been missing from my routine and the numbers are living proof. Nowhere near where I use to be when I just did typical gym stuff. At least now I'm a bit wiser and know how to fit this in. I think having my overall strength back will make all my current lifts increase dramatically. Finally got the Lowes HRS in singles! Tried a second attempt but no go.

• Like 1

5/14/13

GHP negatives

50x10, 60x7, 70x5, 75x5, 80x5, 5, 85x5, 5, 87.5x5, 5

Plate Pinches

L: 20x10, 30x10, 50x10, 55x6, 61x4, 3, 55x1

R: 20x10, 30x10, 50x5, 55x1, 50x3, 3, 55x1

Sledge to Face

L: 6x7, 8x5, 10x2, 2, 2, 1

R: 6x6, 8x4, 10x1, 1, 1, 8x1, 10x1

IM Hub

L: 40x5, 45x2, 47.5x1, 35x4 swings, 5 swings

R: 40x3, 40x1, 35x3 swings, 4 swings.

Was pressed for time on this workout so I couldn't get the rest of the wrist exercises in but it's probably for the best because I got a case of the shakes near the end. Squats yesterday absolutely demolished me. Trying out the infamous routine from the book, "Super Squats" and so far it's pretty intense. Training my wife's cousin for summer and figured I might as well do the routine with him. Best part is it only compliments my current routine and takes nothing away. I want to get some Rolling Thunder in before I hit up Chez's grip palace on Sunday.

5/16

Squats

80x20

Dips

10, 25x10, 50x10

Close Grip Bench Press

95x8, 105x10

Dead Hang Pause Pullups

15, 14

Bending

5x 7" 5/16 Lowes Steel (Shiny) in single IM Pads

Second day on the Super Squats Program. Getting back into big compound movements has definitely helped a ton with grip and everything else. The workouts don't interfere with my grip and bending training what soever and only aid in it.

Squats felt easier this time.

Everything else felt great with the Dead Hang pause pullups being freakin brutal!

Bending cracks me up. When I was getting the steel from Home Depot, the dull 5/16 steel was easier than the shiny ones but then Home Depot didn't have them anymore so I went to Lowes and bought the same exact ones. The Dull steel wound up feeling hard and I thought it was just me not being as strong from the layoff. I ran out of the dull and then figured I'd try the shiny ones and Boom! They freaking melted and were easy. I ended up Smashing 5 of them in this workout and if it wasn't for the damn wraps messing up I was going to smash all of them. I hop it's just because I'm getting stronger and not because the steel was weaker.

What is your current squat max?

I'll be getting a gym of my own in a month.

Honestly not sure at all what my max squat is. I'm doing the 20 rep squat routine for 6 weeks minus the milk (on the SCD diet so the milk isn't allowed for my condition). Focusing on form and once I feel I have that down and I'm done with this routine I'll try a max.

5/19/13

Stopped by my buddy Chez's place for a very intense Grip and Bending workout. Didn't really record the numbers but we just ran the gauntlet of Grippers, Euro, Axel, Pinch, etc.

Euro

Finally feel I have a sweet spot down. Putting the rim of the discs right between where the fingers meet the hands seems to work the best and I can lift the most weight.

Bending

Warmed up with 2 x 5/16 Lowes 7" HRS (Bright)

Mbar in single IM pads

Red Nail in single IM pads (took about 2 minutes or so)

Newer Red Nail in singles - Failed

MBAR BEND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYJCnNWabk&list=UUk_N1Rh4mMVc-NN-yGzY6Jw

RED NAIL BEND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL58dGjSDdU&list=UUk_N1Rh4mMVc-NN-yGzY6Jw

So the new Reds all have tiny indents and the older reds have this and a subtle spiral in them. I'll have to see which ones I have at home. About a 40lb difference I hear. Pain is becoming less on an issue so I need to keep on bending and push through. I didn't get stuck at any point too much like I use to so my recent routine has been paying off.

I think you're way farther now than before the surgery, congrats Brian!

I think you're way farther now than before the surgery, congrats Brian!

Thanks Tom, Definitely making up for lost time and I'm not even focused on bending but that is all about to change. This last bend really set my eye on the prize.

• Like 1

5/20/13 - Week 2, workout A / 20 Rep Squat Program

Previous weight last week: 145lbs (sweat pants and hoodie)

Current weight today: 148.8lbs (short's and hoodie)

Deep Squats

95x20

Bench

133x10, 153x10, 164x5, 169x5

Dead Hang Pullups

25x10, 5, 5

WD

L3x7, L3x5, L5x1, L7x1

Third workout of this grueling program. My little training buddy who I'm doing this for also gained 3lbs since last week. Been seeing nice results from this.

5/22/13- Wrist & Bending

Seated Plate Wrist Curls (these are significantly harder than standing plate curls)

20x10, 25x4-5, 25x3-4

Sledge to platform

6lbs Choked x4-5, 4-5, 3-3

Rear Sledge DLs

6lbs x4-5, 4-5, 8lbs choked x3-3

Pronation/ Supination (Done in between bending to save time)

7.5x10, 8.75x5, 5

Bending

7" HRS 5/16 Lowes (shiny) x1 IM singles (felt a bit tough at first)

7" HRS 5/16 Lowes (shiny) x1 IM singles (felt much easier for the second bend)

IM Red Nail (new model) wobbled in singles, kinked to sweep in 1 +1/3 then stalled hard.

7" HRS 5/16 Lowes (shiny) x1 IM singles NO rubberbands

Wasn't that focused on anything other than the bending. Need more stock but warming up with 5/16 isn't that great of a warm up. Will need to buy some 7" 1/4 steel for a better warm up then go into the 5/16. The Red Nails I have are all the new type which is good because that's what I'll eventually have to cert on anyway.

Hands felt good but wore out quickly when going for the Red. Need a bit more conditioning and strength in order to take one down in singles. Experimented with no rubber bands on the Lowes 5/16 steel. Doesn't feel that much harder to be honest. I think if you can bend a nail consistently then you shouldn't have a problem doing it without rubber bands.

Dead hang pull ups- 25x10?

Or is that 25 lbs weighted?

It's 25lbs attached to me for 10 dead hang reps. I don't think I'm going to shoot for the 30 rep pullups yet. I want to focus on doing pullups with added weight first. Going to start with 25lbs for 10 then slowly add on weight but still get to 10. I'll see how this goes then maybe change it up to how much weight I can do for 5 reps. The goal is a double body weight pullup or a 300lb pullup total weight. Starting to gain back some of my mass.

You could probably do 45x10 comfortably, I think I can at my current level.

2xBW will be insane. That's world class strength.

You were doing 100#s before the surgery right?

5/23/13

Squats - Really disappointing with results. Maybe I just didn't warm up properly but when I went for my first rep I felt a weird pain in my groin. Happened a few times so I put the weight back and tried again after a little rest. Much less and eventually wasn't there anymore but it really took me out of the game mentally. I'm suppose to go 20 reps straight with no rest and I had to do it in 3 sets which is upsetting. I also probably got over confident when I jumped up to 10lbs from a previous workout when it should've just been 5. I'll go up just 2.5lbs next time around on Monday. Wind up doing: 100x10, 5, 5

After squats I was honestly so pissed and warn out that it messed up the entire workout so I didn't really do muhc after.

Dead hang pullups

30x11, 5, 5

Rolling Thunder

50x5, 75x5, 100x5, 125x4, 135x1 L (new PR!)

My RT went up again which is great! this was a device I was once sold a while ago because I sucked at it so bad it was pissing me off to even have one but I sucked it up, bought a used one from a member of the Gripboard (same model, the newer ones) and just kept with it and now I'm up to 135. Feels good.

BENDING- 5/24/13

Warm up

2x 7" Lowes zinc plated (dull) 1/4"

Working

1 x 7" Lowes 5/16" (Shiny)

1 x 7" Lowes zinc plated (dull) 5/16" - Started to get a wobble in singles but these are freakin tough to kink in singles for right now. Added on 1/3 IM pads and finished it off.

Failed IM Red Nail. Tried in singles but no go. Put on 1/3 and got it moving but stalled fast. Put on 2/3 and got it to the sweep but stalled. Just felt worn out from giving it so many damn attempts previously.

Failed 1 x 7" Lwes zinc plated (dull) 5/16" - + 1/3 IM pads

1 x 7" Lowes 5/16 (shiny) - This was freaking hard as my hands were so tender but I was happy to still get it in singles. Took a break then was able to get this.

Gripper chest Crushes

coc 3.5 x5, x8, x10

Well Each bending workout I learn something new so here's today's realization. The stock I am buying from Lowes is pretty consistent so far with difficulty which is good. Pretty sure the brand now is steel works. Below are the different strengths and notes

7" Lowes (steelworks) 5/16" Shiny Bars = Great working bars, good training to toughen hands in singles and able to get these without rubber bands too.

7" Lowes (steelworks) 5/16" Dull bars (zinc plated)= Tough son of a bitches in singles and right now can only get to a wobble so they're almost at a Red with Kink. I can consistently kink them in 1+1/3. for sweep to crush they're not too hard so these are good to let cool and come back to so I can strength that part of the bend.

IM Red Nail (new model) = Very tough for me right now. Can wobble them so it's only a matter of time before they'll go down in singles. For these it's all about speed and keeping it hot. lately I get worn out and can't finish them off so I'm not strong enough just yet but getting there.

5/27/13

Squats

45x10, 95x6, 115x4, 125x3, 136x1, 146x1

Grippers

Warmup: Tx20, #1x12, #2x7 (easy, new PR), #2.5 Block set x1R, GHP6 X Fail

Working:

GHP 5 Strap holds

L: 5.5 @17 seconds, 10 @13 seconds, 2.5xFail

R: 5.5 @13 seconds, 10x17 seconds, 2.5x5 @12 seconds

Ghetto Euro

88x6, 98x5, 108x2 (easy), 118x1 (easy), 128x1 (new PR!), 132x Fail

Ghetto Axel (Starting to stall a bit here on the Axel. Might need to start doing some regular deadlifts to help improve on this. My RT is going up though)

173x5, 223x1, 273x1, 1, 1

Bending

2x 7" 1/4 HRS - singles

1x 7" 5/16 HRS (Shiny) - singles

1x 7" 5/16 HRS (Dull) - singles. This bar was initially slightly wobbled and I put a thin piece of tape on my right index to prevent the pinching. Wanted to just see if I can get it in singles. New PR here.

1x RED - (1 +1/3) - Got all the way to that sticking point for the sweep to crush, switched to singles and nailed it. Big improvement over last bending session where I failed to finish it off.

1x 7" 5/16 HRS (Dull) - singles. Got another one in singles but my right finger was all busted open. Didn't care how long it took, just glad I got it in singles.

Great workout. Bending and Grip is better than ever. Squat sucks but getting better. My approach to bending is really starting to pay off. Bending whenever I can whenever my hands feel up to it.

5/29/13

Pullups

10, 10, 20x5, 40x4, 4, 60x1

Bent Over Barbell Rows

133x10, 153x6, 3, 133x5

Plate Curls

20x10, 25x5, 30x4, 32.5x2L (new PR), 33lb plate xFail, 30x2, 3

WD

L1 x10, L3 x5, L5 x2, L7 x1 (new PR right), L8 xF, L5 x1R, L4 x1 double click, x1, L3 x7L (2R)

Rear Sledge DL's

6x5, 4, 3

Sledge Pro/Sup

6lbs x4, 3, 3

Sledge Negatives

6x10

Not a bad workout but it's apparent I need to work on my wrists a bit more and get stronger here. I also need to keep doing pullups whenever I can as this seemed to workout great for me.

6/2/13

Squats (Still hate squats!!!!)

45x10, 95x8, 115x6, 136x3, 143x3, 163x1

GHP Negatives

50x10, 60x7, 70x7, 80x6, 90x5, 85x5, 6, 80x6, 5

Plate Pinches

L: 50x5, 55x5, 60x3, 60x2, 55@ 7seconds

R: 50x5, 55x3, 60x2, 60xF, 55@ 4seconds

Deadlifts (Can't do these after squats, legs are just jello)

199x4, 249x2

Bending

1/4" HRS Lowes 7" x2 warmup

5/16" HRS Lowes 7" (Shiny) x2

5/16" HRS Lowes 7" (Dull) x1 ---Taped index finger where pinching

5/16" Red Nail (new) x1 --- Taped index finger where pinching

Bending takes priority over everything so I will have to sneak in another grip workout mid week to tackle the vbar, hub and axel.

Each Bending day has been an improvement over the last. I'm now able to smash the Red Nail newer model in singles in the 1-2 minute range. The only thing still an issue is the middle of my index finger getting pinched which hurts like a bitch and is very distracting. Wanted to make sure I could get the red and didn't want skin pinching to stop me so I just put a thin layer of tape on each index finger to prevent it. I'm going to need to toughen up this section so I can keep bending Reds bare hands with no tape.

Keep up the great work Brian. I want to see you concentrate and attack the goal. You got this buddy. I'm still recovering, but I hope we can cert together. Maybe we can do it at Mike Sharkey's place since he lives in Brooklyn.

Thanks Chez. That's the goal buddy. we'll have two more RED nail benders soon. I'm trying hard to get my bending to where yours is at so we can cert this together.

6/5/13 - COME AT ME RED!!!!!!!!!!!

Vulcan V2 (GHP BLOCK SETS)

L: L3x10, L4x10, L5x9, L6x5, L7x4, L8x1, (Left is strong on the vulcan but the set is weak.)

R: L3x10, L4x10, L5x9, L6x5, L7x4, L8x3, L9

IM HUB

35x5, 40x4, 45x1, 47.5x1, 50x1

Sorinex Saxon Bar

85x5, 105x5, 135x1, 135x2, 140x1

BENDING

2 x 1/4 7" HRS

1x 5/16 7" HRS (shiny)

1x IM Red (new) (single IM Pads!!!)

Was like a little kid today playing with everything not 100% serious and wanted to hurry up and get to bending. Left knuckle still a tad raw but got the Red again in singles with no tape on any of my fingers. Missed the minute mark by a few seconds and most likely already got it but kept crushing it just to be sure. Due to the kuckles being a tad raw I decided that would be it for today to let them heal and then smash some more Reds next session. Big PR on the IM Hub with both hands at 50lbs. Also my new sorinex saxon bar is awesome!!!!

Red Nail Bend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tPKylzvwMA&list=UUk_N1Rh4mMVc-NN-yGzY6Jw&index=2

50lb Hub Lift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2OKF5wu3w&list=UUk_N1Rh4mMVc-NN-yGzY6Jw&index=1