Against The Weight

bubba29

Good stuff Chuck. I made a ghetto hub also. Looks like your getting stronger at bending as well.

Good stuff Chuck. I made a ghetto hub also. Looks like your getting stronger at bending as well.

not sure if i am getting stronger at bending but i am getting better at it. i just don't seem to have the same power overhand verse underhand but it never struck me to try underhand till i did more reading. i enjoy the bending and progressing to bigger stock so it will be underhand for me till my overhand catches up.

i was cleaning my garage today. The garage is where my home gym lives. I get near my equipment and it screams at me to try it. I did my homemade peg board with ease. I pinch lifted an upside down 30# KB which seemed impossible not too long ago. I also levered my 8# sledge to the face and up with both hands at the end of the handle. I closed my 2.5 with my right with no chalk or warm up.

Just messin around with no intentions of really testing myself and definitely not wanting to train. This was just trying things on a whim. There is no doubt I am getting stronger and the all around work is paying off. I bet I would perform much better in a medley right now.

A1) BB Lunges - 45# x 8 x 2, 135 x 10 x 3

A2) One Armed DB OH Press - 35# x 4/arm, 45# x 4, 65# x 2 x 3

A3) Pull Ups - BW x 4 x 2, BW+50# x 5, BW+50# x 4 x 2

B1) Good Mornings - 95# x 10 x3

B2) BB Shrugs - 225 x 10, 315 x 5 x 2

Hammies gonna hurt tomorrow.

Tried some bending when I had some free time. Did 3/16 x 6" square CRS very easy. Got cocky and tried 3/16 x 5" square CRS and barely kinked it. Quite a bit harder. Did a 1/4 x 6" round HRS that was also easy. This 1/4" round HRS may be easier than the 3/16" square CRS. Then did a 3/16 x 5.5" square CRS that wasn't too bad either. Finished with a GHP 5 "silver bullet" hold till failure.

My hands were pretty fresh after today and this weekend so I thought I would add in this quicky tonight. Definitely think the 3/16 x 5.5" square CRS will be a good working stock for me for a bit.

38 mm wood block 2 hand pinch to lockout on 8" loading pin:

65 x 5

90 x 5

95 x 5

105 x 2

110 x 1

115 x 1

25# plate hub:

1 per hand, 2 sets. 10 second hold at lockout both hands. got the 35# plate half way up a few times with each hand.

25# 2 plate pinch:

around body twice, 2 sets. i was barefoot and my toes were scared. may have to wear my steel toed boots next time.

2" "V bar" (actually a 17" high loading pin):

140 x 2 per hand

155 x 1 per hand

175 x 1 R, fail left

155 x 2 R, 1 L

Bending:

3/16" x 6" square crs

1/4" x 5.5" hrs

the 1/4" bend was tough.

Ghetto "Silver Bullet" Hold:

2.5 20 count right, 4 count left

2.5 16 count right, nothing left

really struggled with set on left with the bullet in my hand. may try to hold bullet in mouth next time.

it was EXTREMELY humid in the garage tonight. i was drippin' sweat everywhere but chalk kept my grip good. did have to chalk up between every set though. pretty happy with the work i got in.

Schedule got switched around today so I decided to get a quick session in this morning.

Power Cleans:

135 x 3 x 2

155 x 2

175 x 1 x 3

Close Grip Bench:

135 x 4 x 2

155 x 4

175 x 3

135 x 10

Pendlay Row:

175 x 4

205 x 4 x 4

Haven't done barbell bench in a very long time because my right shoulder just does not enjoy them. The close grip with my elbows tight felt pretty good. Concentrated on tight form with bar speed on the way up. I look forward to more of this in the coming weeks.

Edited by bubba29

although i have been at this hand strength thing for over a year now, it is all still very new to me. weight training is something i have done off and on for over 25 years. i used to assume everyone recovered the same way from sports games and/or practices, or weight training. i, only recently in my life, learned this is false. everyone responds and recovers in different ways.

i believe i have built up a better capacity for work in the rest of my body because of training. my hands and forearms are behind this curve because they had never had focused work done. i suspect it could take years to build up capacity in my hands to withstand consistent intense workouts. i am not concerned. i am not going anywhere and look forward to the journey.

what got me thinking was i decided to try to get in a quick RT workout last night. it was piss poor to say the least. i shut it down early because it was obvious that my hands were weak and not properly recovered. i most likely did not warm up properly and there could have been other confounding factors. it just got me thinking that maybe my hands aren't quite ready for the volume i am throwing at them. compared to many, it may not seem like much but as i said, we are all different.

another thing that got me thinking is how do we mix in strengthening other body parts while allowing for the hands to recover properly? it is difficult to get strong without involving the hands. maybe i am just being a pussy and feeling sorry for myself after a piss poor result. that is possible. maybe i am not sleeping as much as i should. maybe i need to get a hand/forearm massage. oh well, i am rambling because there is a lot to think about. as i said, i look forward to this journey. i will qualify for nationals in 2013 and i will set many PRs.

We all have days like that like. Just your body telling you to take a day off. Keep plugging away dude. Don't forget about the Durniat grip comp. I'm training my butt off for that. I'm buying an axle (the rogue fitness one since its much cheaper than the IM one) and making my own Euro soon. Just talked to a buddy last night who is giving me Olympic plates, an Olympic bar and a curling bar. I'm super excited.

We all have days like that like. Just your body telling you to take a day off. Keep plugging away dude. Don't forget about the Durniat grip comp. I'm training my butt off for that. I'm buying an axle (the rogue fitness one since its much cheaper than the IM one) and making my own Euro soon. Just talked to a buddy last night who is giving me Olympic plates, an Olympic bar and a curling bar. I'm super excited.

thx for the encouragement. i am not sure if i know what my hands can and cannot take yet.

you hit the jackpot on that equipment. i have plans to make some farmers walk handles for about $40. the outer diameter will be 1.9", a hair less that the axle. i plan to also use them as an axle for deadlifts too. problem is if i do make it i will need a lot more olympic plates. cannot ghetto rig those unfortunately. i been shopping for used plates at play it again sports. found some good ones for hubbin there. they are kinda pricey though but for finding deep dish that is the way to go. craigslist is good otherwise. or best yet is a friend with free stuff.

RT: 113#

3 x 10 both hands

did a bunch of pinches on a new pony clamp. probably 4 sets of 5-8 per hand.

did some washer pinches, got 19# off the ground but 25# wouldn't budge. same thing with the stub pinch lift.

did several bends with some new suede wraps i bought. they are significantly thicker than what i am used to using, about 1 inch in diameter. had a great night bending. did a 1/4" x 7" CRS pretty easy on my first bend. funny thing is i thought it was HRS when i started but wondered as i made the first hit. it was harder than i thought it should but thought i may have been the new, thicker wraps. after i was done, i looked closer and realized this was stock i cut a while ago and couldn't even kink it back then. not sure if i am stronger, have better technique, or it was the new wraps. oh well, i don't give a shit because bigger stock is goin' down.

finished up by doin' a 1 armed hang on my gymnastic rings then "cleaning" a 30# KB and bottoms up pressing it. did that on both sides. was interesting but not too difficult.

bends7 25 12

Power Cleans:

135 x 3 x 2

155 x 2 x 2

175 x 1

185 x 3

Close Grip Bench:

135 x 4 x 2

155 x 4 x 2

175 x 4

135 x 10

Pendlay Row:

185 x 4

210 x 4 x 4

Felt strong today.

Grip Circuit Training:

Round 1:

CoC 1 x 6 both hands

RT 92 x 6 both hands

Ghetto Hub 29 x 1 both hands

Round 2:

CoC 1.5 x 4 both hands

RT 92 x 6 both hands

Round 3:

GHP 5 x 3 r, 1 l

RT 107 x 4 both hands

Round 4:

CoC 2.5 x 1 r, f l

RT 127 x 2 both hands

Ghetto Hub 30 x 2 both hands

Round 5:

CoC 2.5 x 1 r, f l

RT 137 x 1 r, f l

Ghetto Hub 30 x 4 both hands

Round 6:

GHP 5 x 2 r, f l

RT 137 x 1 r, f l

Ghetto Hub 30 x 3 both hands

Round 7:

CoC 1.5 x 10 r, 6 l

RT 122 x 7 r, 4 l

Ghetto Hub 29 x 5 r, 4 l

Bending:

3/16 x 5 square crs underhand

1/4 x 5 hrs underhand x 2

1/4 x 7 hrs reverse x 2

3/16 x 6.5 square crs reverse

Sledge levering

Pony clamp pinches 2 sets of 8.

Had fun today. My 20 year high school reunion weekend started last night. Had a good session today despite all the drinks last night.

• Like 1

Cool workout dude. I may give that a try myself. I usually go through all my sets of one exercise before hitting the next. But this is a nice idea to spice things in up training.

Location: Penn State Football Weightroom (as seen here http://www.gripboard...showtopic=38522)

I was in town and was able to get a very quick workout in. I mainly wanted to see and play with some of the stuff in the new weightroom. It was very nice. A lot of things I really liked but a few things I didn't. There is a lot more grip centric stuff there than you would find in a typical training facility. On a good note, I got an overhead press PR of 150#.

Edited by bubba29

Last night I did many bends in multiple directions. Did some reverse bends alternating top hands, some underhand and overhand. All stock was cut down to 5.5". Wrists were fried. I think I am going to try to repeat this more often because I feel like i got a lot out of it.

Grippers:

1.5 x 4 x 2

GHP 5 x 2

Choked GHP 6 ISO Holds 10 seconds each hand x 13 sets

Got a new blob 40. Cannot lift it yet. I did a bunch of drags with it. Basically grab it and slide it across the floor a few feet to get my hand used to moving a big blob. Then I did some 2 hand pinches with it. I only used 2 fingers from each hand plus the thumbs.

Then I finished with some pony clamp pinches.

Been a while since I did some squeezes on big grippers. My skin was kinda sensitive to it.

Edited by bubba29

Power Cleans:

135 x 3 x 2

155 x 2 x 2

175 x 1

185 x 1

195 x 1

185 x 1

Close Grip Bench:

135 x 4 x 2

155 x 4 x 2

185 x 2

155 x 8

Pendlay Row:

185 x 4

215 x 4 x 4

Lateral DB Raise

25 x 8 (per arm) x 2

DB Curl

40 x 8 (per arm) x 2

Hip Abduction Machine

90 x 12

100 x 12 x 2

Leg Extension

135 x 8

150 x 8

150 x 10

I have had a weird tightness in the right side of my mid back for a while. It is annoying but not hindering. I felt strong on everything today.

Worked on some different things last night.

Kettlebell Shot Put:

15# x 4 per side

30# x 6 per side

Homemade Pegboard:

Half way up and down x 2

80# sandbag side toss:

4 per side

Ghetto Hub:

28# x 2, 2, 3, 3

Grippers MMS:

1.5 x 4, 6 left, 8 left

GHP 5 x 4 r, 4 r, 2 l

1.5 x 12 (both hands)

2.5 close attempt 2 mm away on right, 10 mm away on left

Pegboard 10 second hold chin above hands x 4

3 really short bends. Kinked some 4"/4.5" stock but could not complete it. Felt like the ends were gonna rip through my suede wraps. Despite not completing these, I felt this was really good for me to struggle to to get the initial kink. I kept these to attempt to finish them some other day.

No real programming last night. Just messin around. I used to throw the shot in high school so shot putting the KBs was fun for me. Felt akward on the left side but still had some pop. I haven't done pull ups in a while and gained about 5 pounds recently (not disappointed in the weight by the way). The lack of pull ups is just just how my training has been the last month or 2. Not avoiding by any means. But I think the combo of lack of pull ups and the few extra pounds made me suck at my pegboard. I will get back into my pullups again soon. The pegboard requires some good strength at the top position of the pullup. Gonna add weight and do some static holds in this position in the future.

KB Arm Bar/Roll:

30# x 4 rolls x 2

60# x 2 olls x 1

KB Swing:

30# x 8/hand

60# x 8/hand

Ring Shoulder Mobility:

3 sets

Pegboard Pullups:

4 reps and 10 second hold chest touching hands after last rep + 15#, 3 sets

Ring Dips:

3 x 5

RT:

118# x 10/hand x 3

Broad Jump:

3 x 4

KB "Blob" Lift:

30# 1 r, 1 L .5 r, .5 L .5 r, 1 L

40# Blob Overcrush:

10 second hold x 3

80# Sandbag Toss:

3 x 4

KB Bottoms Up Windmill:

30# x 4 each side

I hate golf but I play in an outing once per year with some high school buddies. It is coming up on the 18th. I am getting ready not by playing golf but by working on my shoulder mobility. I am gonna take it easy on squats, deads, and heavy presses till this stupid outing is done. On a good note, my pinch seems to be getting stronger. I "Blob" lifted my 30# KB easier than ever yesterday.

Date: 8-11

"Strongman Saturday"

Sled pulls 100 yards 4 sets worked up to 5 plates

Yoke Walk 50 yards 4 sets worked up to 305

IM Axle deadlift worked up to a PR of 314# ((bad word filter) yeah!)

IM Axle

4 x 4

loadable stone trainer deadlift, 4 sets 110# worked up to 200#

various plate pinch lifts. got 2 35s off ground but no lock out. couldn't get 4 tens.

315# shrugs and max hold, no knurling 3 x 6

reverse hyper 90# 3 x 10

log press 115# 4 x 4

due to timing, i trained by myself today. kinda evolved into a grip centric workout. oh well, posterior chain got some good work too. haven't touched an axle in a while. i think pinch work and RT has helped that.

30# KB Swing 3 x 8/hand

30# KB BU Press 3 x 4/hand

30# KB side to side squat 3 x 16 reps

2 hand 2" Wood Pinch Block on 8" loading pin:

64# x 2

89 x 1

94 x 1

99 x 1

104 x 1

109 x 1

114 x 1

129 x 1, 1, 1

(could have gone higher but couldn't fit any more of my plates/kettlebells on short loading pin)

Plate Hub Lift:

Got 25's with both hands several times. Finally cleaned and pressed a 25 while gripping hub. Also hubbed my 35 to lockout with both hands once.

2" V Bar (15" loading pin):

115# x 2 per hand

130 x 2 per hand

145 x 1 per hand

160 x 1 per hand

175 x 1 per hand

190 x 1 r, fail left

Ghetto Silver Bullet Hold 2.5:

24 seconds right, 9 seconds left

7 seconds right, 5 seconds left

Laid off other training lately. Hands are responding well. Question is, how to properly mix training the rest of the body and training the hands. I don't have a lot of weight or a barbell at home with my grip equipment. I can work my hands properly at home but not the rest of my body.

Overhead BB Press:

45 x 10 x 2

65 x 6

95 x 10

95 x 9

DB Lateral Raise:

25 x 8 x 2 each hand

Cable Tricep Pushdowns:

120 x 10 x 2

DB Front Raise:

20 x 10 x 2 each hand

ABs

Gripper:

CoC 1.5 20+ sets of sub max sets throughout day. Various sets- TNS, MMS, CCS

Gettin' back at it after taking some time off in preparation for a stupid golf outing. Felt good to be back. Decided to do my full day gripper training to toughen my hands up. This worked for me when I first started grippers but I haven't done it for a while as I progressed. I originally did it to give myself a good base for working with bigger grippers. Seems like a good idea now that I am trying to get up to a 3. I started doing these with a trainer but now am doing it with a 1.5. Someday, I hope my GHP 5 feels easy enough to do this with. Gotta say, when I first started about a year ago, I woulda never thought I would be repping all day long with a 1.5.

DL:

135 x 4

185 x 4

225 x 4

275 x 4

305 x 10

Wide Grip Pull Up:

BW x 10 x 2

Romanian DL:

135 x 8 x 2

Single Leg Leg Press:

155 x 10 x 3