Against The Weight

bubba29

I decided to start this log for many reasons. First, I will be accountable to the log...get the work in and post. Second, I don't know everything and hope to get more experienced lifters chiming in. The last reason is to show some of the guys on here that not everyone is a grip freak. I have a long way to go, thus the title of the thread. If I try to compete or keep up with most of the guys on here I will get very pissed off and probably hurt.

So my goals now are as follows:

1) Deadlift 500 pounds by my 40th birthday. Currently 415 with a few months till I'm 39.

2) MM0 cert. Currently a CoC 2.5 max.

3) 333 do axle. Currently 303.

4) Bodyweight overhead press. Current bw 170, current press 145.

I train as I can find time. Typically 2 to 5 times per week. I have a $9/month membership to a globo gym near work. I train at a board member's house who has a gripper's playground in his basement. I train at a powerlifter's house who has some grip toys and a ton of powerlifting equipment. And I also train at my house where I have some KBs, a few dep dish steel plates, some gymnastic rings, a RT handle, a loading pin, a sandbag, and some ghetto grip stuff.

I have no shortage of facilities or people to train with. Finding the time to squeeze it in can be a challenge. My joints, for the most part, are pretty healthy. I do have to baby my right shoulder at times due to a previous surgery but it is typically OK. So here I go. Feel free to chime in if you feel you can help.

A1) Deadlift 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 355x4x2, 355x1, 225x10

A2) DB Bench 40x2x8, 80x5x5, 65x12

B1) DB Lateral Raise 25x8, 25x7

B2) DB Kroc Rows Drop Set Left (fat handle) 80x18 (regular handle) 65x8....Right 80x24 65x8

Was a good day as I improved over last week.

Grippers (right and left):

CoC 1.5 x5x2

GHP 5 x1

GHP 6 Forced rep, hold, negative x10

CoC 1.5 "silver bullet" hold

38 mm pinch block + loading pin:

35 Lbs. x1x3

40 x1

25 pinch upright row x8x2

towel hangs max time x2

This was my first time doing forced reps, hold, and negative sets. Was good. Gonna do this for a month or so and see what comes of it.

Strength Endurance....I don't have much. Over the last several years I have concentrated on low reps for strength. I am changing things up a bit to hopefully add some more muscle as a better foundation. I realized, I suck at high reps. This will be a fun experiment.

A1) Overhead Press 65x5x2, 95x10, 95x8

A2) Pull ups BWx5x2, 16, 10

B) BB Squat 95x4x2, 185x20

The 20 rep squat set was not as bad as I though it would be. I broke it into 4 rep mini sets without racking. Was hard but could have handle more weight.

Edited by bubba29

Great set of goals! Good luck and I look forward to watching you hit them. Giver hell! :rock

the 20rep squats are most fun when you first start doing them a day and/or 2 and/or 3 later. Good luck.

the 20rep squats are most fun when you first start doing them a day and/or 2 and/or 3 later. Good luck.

i am confused by this. what do you mean?

Twas a bit of demented sarcasm with reference to the DOM's you get when beginning 20reppers.

- Aaron

Twas a bit of demented sarcasm with reference to the DOM's you get when beginning 20reppers.

- Aaron

gotcha. yes, it will be interesting. it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. will probably abuse myself with some more weight when i hit it again next week. i intend on a lotta damn good food and cold bath tonight.

As you add the weight it becomes more of a cardio exercise. I played around with these high rep sets about 3 yrs ago. Worked up to 245x40 as my best after 3 or 4 months. I would do ALOT of sucking wind after a set. Good luck.

- Aaron

8 lb. Sledge Levering - Internal, external, thumb up, to face

2 rounds each side

Swimming

Freestyle 50m sprints

30 second sprint, 90 second rest x4

I have read a lot about how sprint intervals have a positive effect on growth hormone release. Swimming is also a good way to work out the kinks after a 20 rep squat day. It was a nice quick workout.

I think its a great idea that your keeping a log Chuck. It will definitely motivate you to achieve your goals. I can't help but notice that your gym is called "globo gym". Does this guy run it:

I think its a great idea that your keeping a log Chuck. It will definitely motivate you to achieve your goals. I can't help but notice that your gym is called "globo gym". Does this guy run it: [media=]

great movie. yes, there is one trainer in there who reminds me of him. it is pretty common for meatheads to call large commercial gyms that have more cardio equipment than free weights a "globo gym". i go because it is cheap and convenient. i can get a lotta shit done at lunch time then get back to work. certainly not my favorite place but it works.

btw, if you ever frequent globo gyms, look at the people on the cardio and look at the people in the free weight room. then ask yourself who you would like to look like. most people will pick the weight room trainees. you won't get a desireable body composition from an elliptical.

Time to get some good work in on my new (to me) Rolling Thunder handle.

118 R x 3, L x 3

133 R x 1, L x 1

138 R x 1, L x 1

148 R x 1, L x 1

153 R x 1, L x 1

163 R fail, L fail

118 R x 10, L x 10 for 3 sets

Softball "Hub Lift"

40 R x 3, L x 3 for 3 sets

40 R x 4, L x 4

60# KB bottoms up rack balance for max time twice per side. I love bottoms up press but wanted to save my shoulders for tomorrow. This was great grip work and will help me with my bottoms up presses.

Hanging 2" v bar for max time x 2.

Was hot and humid in the garage tonight but grip held up well. A towel and chalk helped keep the hands dry.

Edited by bubba29

A1) Deadlift 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 365x2x5, 225x12

A2) DB Bench 50x8x2, 85x4x4, 85x3, 70x10

B1) DB Lateral Raise 25x8, 25x8

B2) DB Kroc Rows Drop Set Left (fat handle) 90x6 (regular handle) 80x4....Right 90x8, 80x4

Deadlifts went great. Bumped up 10# and got all my sets of 2. Gonna bump up a bit more next time. Hands were a bit fried for my Kroc rows. I bumped up weight and grip gave out quick. I may have to rethink doing these the day after RT training.

Edited by bubba29

wow, anterior muscles of my forearms are fried this morning. RT workout on Wednesday + high volume of DO deadlift yesterday + fat handle DB Kroc rows yesterday = tired forearm muscles. will hold off on training till Sunday and see what I feel like then.

Had a shitty workout today but I am certainly not disappointed. Spent my morning building a pegboard similar to

in my garage this morning. After I got done building it and cleaning up, I played with it for a while. I have to tweek it a bit but it is fun and a hell of a challenge. While cleaning up, I hubbed a bit while moving some of my weight plates around. Got the 25's several times and the 35 once. Well, here is my workout:

Grippers:

1.5 x 4 L, R

GHP 5 x 2 L, R

2.5 failed on both hands

GHP 5 x 3 L, R

Tried the GHP 5 again and failed. I could tell when I started that my hands were weak. Shut grippers down early.

I then decided to experiment with bending for the first time. When getting supplies for the pegboard project, I got a 3/16" round steel bar and cut it into pieces from 6.25" to 7". I also read about making wraps out of denim and made a 4"x10" pair out of some old jeans. I then got to bending. I did not re-wrap each time, just slid the bar in both wraps. I did all the bars I had as fast as I could. Probably took me a few minutes. I liked it a lot and will probably shorten the stock for the next time around. Here are the results:

firstbends

Edited by bubba29

A1) Overhead Press 65x4x2, 105x10, 105x5

A2) BB Pendlay "Style" Rows 135x4x2, 185x10, 185x8

B) BB Squat 135x5, 195x20

This round of squats hurt a bit more but i made it through them.

Rolling Thunder

118 R x 3, L x 3

133 R x 1, L x 1

148 R x 1, L x F

153 R x F, L x F

123 R x 10, L x 10 (3 sets)

25# plate hub x 4 per hand

35# plate hub x 1 per hand (got off the ground but no lockout)

2 x 25# plates pinch x 5 per hand

2 x 25# plates plus 5# loading pin x 1 per hand

3.5" pinch block 48# 10 second hold x 2 per hand

CoC 1.5 10 second hold per hand x 2 per hand

3/16" CRS bend 5"x2, 6"x2....working on technique.

Sledge levering.

Obviously this was built around a RT workout but I was inspired to do a lot of stuff. Probably will move my Thursday WO to Friday.

Saw my RT numbers were off. If my Sunday hand WO sux, I will probably back off the volume for a week. Was getting to be that time anyway.

Edited by bubba29

A1) Deadlift 120x5, 225x5, 315x3x2, 365x1, 385x1, 395x1, 315x5

A2) DB Bench 55x6, 55x8, 90x3x2, 80x4

B1) DB Lateral Raise 25x10, 25x10

B2) DB Kroc Rows Drop Set Left (regular handle) 85x18, (regular handle) 70x10....Right 85x20, 70x10

hammer dumbell curl 35x8 per hand

Decided to back off on deadlift volume a bit. Right shoulder was a bit cranky on presses. Probably will work on range of motion rather than strength for the next several weeks on my pressing, do some KB and ring work.

Edited by bubba29

Grippers

1.5x4x2 both hands

GHP 6 assisted close 10 second hold x 12 both hands

(left hand was really lagging)

bent about 10 3/16" CRS stock of lengths from 5"-6.5"

did some sledge levering in multiple directions.

not a great workout as i really didn't blow anything away. i knew hands were tiring from volume lately. was the last workout before a week, maybe two, deload. was happy to get the work in though.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bunch of mobility strength movements with kettlebells. Everything was relatively light but I put a lot of my joints through some ranges of motion I do not get from typical barbell movements. Trying to work out kinks and avoid overuse injuries from doing the same stuff week in week out. I did mess around with some grippers Sunday, no training just messing. Closed my 2.5 with no chalk and no warm up. I suspect my last training period and the week off really helped. I am gonna get back to hand stuff Wednesday and barbell stuff next week.

3.5" Wood Pinch Block (one hand):

33# x 2 each hand

43 x 2 each hand

48 x 1 each hand

50 x 1 R, - L

50 x 1 R, - L

48 x 4 each hand

Homemade Hubbin':

29 x 1 each hand

29 x 1 each hand

39 x barely off ground

27 x 2 each hand

1.5 "silver bullet hold" + 4# for max time both hands.

Steel bends:

3/16"x6.5" Sq. CRS

3/16"x6" Sq. CRS

1/4"x7" round HRS

6" 60d timber tie

messed around a bit with a new hub/stub i built. worked out well although i need to really work on my hubbing. i liked it, this will be a fun journey. i also supersetted with a pinch block. my pinch block was definitely stronger than last time so i am happy. after getting pissed off at some steel that wouldn't budge, i tried double underhand and shit started moving. right now it is very obvious i am stronger at double underhand. below are pics of my hub stub and the bends.

this period i am going to avoid heavy gripper stuff. pinch and fat bar will be focused on for 3-4 weeks.

bends71112

hubstub

Date: 7-13

"Strongman Saturday"

Sled pulls 40 yards 4 sets worked up to 6 plates

Yoke Walk 40 yards 4 sets worked up to 305

Zercher Carry 40 yards 2 sets 165#

Farmers walk:100#/hand, 150#/hand, 170#/hand x 60 feet

Fireman's Pull: ascending weight up to more plates than I could count x 30 feet, 5 pulls

Sled Push: descending weight x 30 feet, 5 pushes

One armed dumbell press: 50# x 4/arm, 4 sets

RT 140#: many sets of doubles then singles, probably 6 sets.

This is something I have missed the last few months due to my son having baseball on Saturday mornings. It is a great all around workout that hits the hands and posterior chain pretty good. It also keeps me from partyin' too hard on Friday nights. Good to be back doin' this workout with a bunch of good guys.

Edited by bubba29