• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• Mike Rinderle

Bob / Adam,

Just wanted to say sorry for critiquing the cross-bar yesterday. Bob hit the thing and it rang a little bit so I thought the cross bar was steel. He then barely pulled through the goal line, so i thought the bar might be heavy too.

Bob, I am only coaching you to help you out here. Compete how you train. If you touch and go like that in training, go for it. However, in my experience, if I train one way and then try to do something different at a comp, it can mess me up. I just wonder if this might have been something that happened on your 112 pull, thinking too much about not pulling high enough.

Jedd

Bob / Adam,

Just wanted to say sorry for critiquing the cross-bar yesterday. Bob hit the thing and it rang a little bit so I thought the cross bar was steel. He then barely pulled through the goal line, so i thought the bar might be heavy too.

Bob, I am only coaching you to help you out here. Compete how you train. If you touch and go like that in training, go for it. However, in my experience, if I train one way and then try to do something different at a comp, it can mess me up. I just wonder if this might have been something that happened on your 112 pull, thinking too much about not pulling high enough.

Jedd

Its all good brother. I noticed today while pinching the bar is very loud considering its so light weight.

If you touch and go like that in training, go for it. However, in my experience, if I train one way and then try to do something different at a comp, it can mess me up. I just wonder if this might have been something that happened on your 112 pull, thinking too much about not pulling high enough.

Jedd

I completely agree. I never train with the height bar and always strive to lift the weight until I'm almost erect & knees locked or almost locked. Being 6'4" you can imagine how far above 16.5" I'm lifting :rolleyes

A far as comps lifts go I'm not even concious of the height bar and just plough straight thru it. Stopping at the touch is not an option I entertain.

Dave

I have just been thinking that my problem is not pulling high enough in training. I just lift till lockout and that isn't high enough- I need to shrug and row the bar through the last couple inches.

I have just been thinking that my problem is not pulling high enough in training. I just lift till lockout and that isn't high enough- I need to shrug and row the bar through the last couple inches.

:laugh:laugh Or wear thick soled shoes. :laugh:laugh

Wow. This is material for 100 jokes.

I don't think there would be a problem if you stood on blocks to have a more natural pull bro. Shrugging at the end would seem to hurt performance.

Mary Ann doesn't have this problem and you're the same height.

if it's really an issue just rig up some kind of bar.

Bob / Adam,

Jedd

Jedd, no problem buddy. I'm not sure if it was you or someone else who told me during one of my first contests that I shouldn't lock it out, just hit the bar and set it down.

I've mostly been training the 2x45 one-hand pinch. My Euro work was once every week or two (usually every two weeks), mostly ~10 singles with a weight that is about 70-80% of my max. It was more technique work than training, as I kept a notebook like Rice suggested and wrote down my observations. Now, my technique feels good enough (or at least reproducible enough), that I will begin doing more reps and volume, (while still making small technique adjustments and seeing if they help or not). This was necessary because I am a slow learner of motor tasks and the Euro is a deceptively technical lift. There was no point in doing reps when my technique was not mindful enough to be done consistently, otherwise it would be like Shaq practicing free throws, how well did that work for him? Practice needs to be quality-based, quantity/volume won't help as much without quality being acceptable.

I haven't been using a bar in training (which I will start doing), so when I hear the pipe hit the bar and know the lift is good, I'll set it back down (rather than pulling it higher and risking a drop) if my upward momentum isn't excessive. down, I'll do that. I may make it a point to get some more movement on the crossbar, however. I'm not looking for style points or trying to showboat, if my "feel" is such that I want to continue upward, I will, if it feels right to set it back I'm not worried about what anyone thinks about that; I'll do what is right for my success at the moment.

I think the point, Bob, is that you should stay comfortable. If you're comfortable with that technique, so be it.

Let me ask you one question. If you are so focused on technique, why would you not do two hands pinch practice leading up to a contest with two hands pinch? In my opinion, there is a giant difference between one-hand and two-hand pinch training...?

I think the point, Bob, is that you should stay comfortable. If you're comfortable with that technique, so be it.

Let me ask you one question. If you are so focused on technique, why would you not do two hands pinch practice leading up to a contest with two hands pinch? In my opinion, there is a giant difference between one-hand and two-hand pinch training...?

Because I was looking for the long haul, not just the next contest. I wanted to bring up my one-hand pinch with both hands so I could pinch 2x45 with either hand on most days, sometimes even after a pinch workout I can still do 2x45 w/ both L & R hands. Why, you ask? I wanted to bring my LH strength up enough so it was less of a problem on the Euro; I felt my LH was slipping first on my heavier lifts. My technique on the Euro never felt right for me until about two weeks ago, then a light bulb went off. I had no idea I would be in the mix in the WSH 82.5k class; now that I'm in the hunt and feel good on the implement, I will train it with a passion.

Also, as I said in my previous post, why would you repeatedly practice something incorrectly and ingrain bad habits before you felt your technique was satisfactory (Shaq example)? I did practice two hand pinch, it was just purely technique-developing practice.

Also, as I said in my previous post, why would you repeatedly practice something incorrectly and ingrain bad habits before you felt your technique was satisfactory (Shaq example)? I did practice two hand pinch, it was just purely technique-developing practice.

I understand the Shaq thing, but how do you improve technique on something without training it?

Since you worked one hand pinch, it seems like you were focusing more on creating more horsepower so that technique wasn't a factor.

Obviously there's carryover between pinching 2-45's and two hand pinch, but they are not the same technique.

I understand the Shaq thing, but how do you improve technique on something without training it?

Since you worked one hand pinch, it seems like you were focusing more on creating more horsepower so that technique wasn't a factor.

Obviously there's carryover between pinching 2-45's and two hand pinch, but they are not the same technique.

I have a great deal of difficulty learning physical tasks with any degree of complexity, so I've had to take and refer to copious notes just to get a moderately successful technique down. I can't just see something done once, remember it and replicate it fairly accurately like many of you. In fact I can repeatedly watch a technique video (cards, phonebooks, gripper setting, reverse bend, 2HP) with my full attention and retain absolutely nothing from it as far as putting it into action. And once I learn motor patterns incorrectly, it's very difficult for me to "unlearn" them (watch me set a gripper sometime). My training has been very mindful with 2HP and all my work went into technique development, and those workouts took a long time due to the thought put into figuring things out as well as the reading/writing. Now that I have mindfully developed something that works fairly well I have just started hitting 2HP with a passion. Surely as a coach you must understand that people have widely divergent abilities and learning styles? I know myself and what I am doing now with 2HP has "clicked" and you will continue to see improvement as I make further refinements. A sense of full commitment to the 2HP movement has finally kicked in.

I did want some more horsepower, yes, and I happen to enjoy the 2x45 pinch and would like to maintain my ability to do it for many years. Here's an attempt w/ 7.5 lbs. added.

post-3446-0-41012700-1313880442_thumb.jp

Bob Sundin World Record Pinch :mosher

Bob if you would like I can pull all of your attempts and put that up too. I just need to skim through this camera.

Hey Adam, I know you have a lot going on w/ the new gym opening and all yet didn't want this to fall through the cracks as I'd really like to see my Euro footage so I can learn from it.
14 Bob Sundin - 92.96k 15 Paul Knight - 92.22k Mikael, argue this one and stay fashionable! ;)
LemonJelly, I heard the conditions for pinching were bad in Texas, as the equipment was basically saturated due to high humidity. I would guestimate that Paul Knight is around 15k stronger than me on the same equipment-same day.

Thank you Daniel, Matt, Bob, Mike, Ben and Brent! Sorry for the slow reply as I allowed myself to get distracted answering Jedd's questions and overlooked your kind words.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember an article on / by Bruce White where it tracks the evolution of his pinching numbers along with his bodyweight (I think it may have been written by David Horne but cannot remember) - that might be an interesting peice of evidence to present here.

I can't remember if there were any conclusions that would be relevant however.

You can find some info here...

http://www.aussiestrength.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=503