Two Hand Pinch Lift (euro Pinch)

Jedd Johnson

I think trying to pick one line of demarcation makes little sense. If you choose 82.5 to attract lighter people, then you could have a guy that weighs 185 lbs up against a Rich, Tex, or Brad Ardry. Just as unfair. If you pick it based on the midpoint around 200lbs you won't attract the crowd you want. I think if you are going to do weight classes, you should have 3. One to entice the little guys to join, one to encompass the majority of grip athletes, and one for the big boys.

82.5KG (~181 lb), 102.5KG (~225 lb), Heavyweight (well fed)

This will attract the smaller individuals, provide a more level playing field for the masses (prevent them from having to go up against mass monsters), and let the big boys battle it out amongst themselves.

It would solve both problems and would prevent having to do another split for awhile if the sport grows.

The cutoff for the middle weights could be anywhere from 100KG - 105KG, I just picked 102.5 because in my eyes you are a pretty big guy at 225.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• Mike Rinderle

If a third weight class is added I would vote for a 100k class as (apart from being an even number) it was around for decades. It was originally introduced in USA in 1967 in PL and adopted in international OL the year after.

Three weight classes is not excessive and should cater for most people, new and established ones.

The sport does not need three weight classes. I would personally prefer a dividing line at around 200 pounds, but I would rather just keep 2 classes. We will see the amount of participation in 82.5 after WSH. I am predicting not enough support for a viable class in the US, but we will see.

3 divisions is excessive for where the sport is at now, IMO. At least the level of competition per class I would like to see.

To add, I would also prefer to see where the data lies after WSH. I think in the US, our main draw will be from amateur strength guys and they won't give us many sub 82.5 competitors. If 82.5 doesn't draw enough competitors, I would prefer splitting the divisions to get the most competitors in each.

Of course, NAGS does not need to follow the 82.5 division. I am not promoting actively working against that division, I just think we can do our own thing on the national level. In many ways we do- The europeans keep everything pretty handsize neutral while the US on the local and national level seems to have little interest.

Thinking out loud, that might be something that exaggerates Europe and American comparisons with weight classes- Not many Axle DL's or block weight medley's in Europe. In the typical European events, given the data so far, 200-220 pound competitors easily hang with the top guys (give or take). In the US seperating guys out via handsize (indirectly though weight classes) is more needed.

Of course, if there was a commitment at the national level to level out the events in terms of handsize, things could change.

I think trying to pick one line of demarcation makes little sense. If you choose 82.5 to attract lighter people, then you could have a guy that weighs 185 lbs up against a Rich, Tex, or Brad Ardry. Just as unfair.

But couldn't a 185# guy cut 4lbs for a contest if he cared to be in the 82.5kg class?

I think trying to pick one line of demarcation makes little sense. If you choose 82.5 to attract lighter people, then you could have a guy that weighs 185 lbs up against a Rich, Tex, or Brad Ardry. Just as unfair.

But couldn't a 185# guy cut 4lbs for a contest if he cared to be in the 82.5kg class?

Bad example on my part. Say a 195lb guy up against 300 + Rich.

A motivated 195lb guy could cut 14lbs.

If people start trying to make weight for grip contests, the appropriate weight class divisions change.

A motivated 195lb guy could cut 14lbs.

If people start trying to make weight for grip contests, the appropriate weight class divisions change.

If it's not a matter of just a couple pounds, I don't see guys doing this.

I cut to make Gripmas weight divisions. I put it off one year and did 8 pounds in a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Top 10 WSH leg #1; +82.5k -102.1k -82.5k - 80.3k

Sorry to rubb it in.

A year would be even better although, as you and everyone else will see, the average in the top ten of the two weight classes will be miles apart and you can take that to the bank. Return to this post a year from now. The difference will be 20k if not more (average top 10).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Sorry to rubb it in.

A year would be even better although, as you and everyone else will see, the average in the top ten of the two weight classes will be miles apart and you can take that to the bank. Return to this post a year from now. The difference will be 20k if not more (average top 10).

yes, the correlation between weight and 2hp is very high in this set of 2 people. on the other hand it has nothing to do with the relationship between weight and 2hp in the general population of grip athletes.

Sorry to rubb it in.

yes, the correlation between weight and 2hp is very high in this set of 2 people. on the other hand it has nothing to do with the relationship between weight and 2hp in the general population of grip athletes.

I'm interested in seeing the weights and all the hand size measurements and relate them to the different events. I hope we have some measurements to work with. The whole weight class - hand size versus different events results seem to be interesting with just a quick glance.

Set of 2 people?

You mean 20 people I assume (top 10 in each class).

Sorry to rubb it in.

Now do the correlation of 2HP to hand size, body strength, grip strength experience, and/or height.

Not to mention that setting an arbitrary line is no way to prove correlation. You are right that 82.5 guys will pinch less on average, I don't think you are really interested in learning the correlations or the reasons. Whatever.

Is there video of Bob's lift somewhere?

Thanks for asking Jedd. Adam has the video and I'm sure he'll post it when he has the time. I hope he can post all my lifts (including my foul).

My Euro event went like this:

-lighter warmups jumping in at a narrower width (I think it was 50 or 54mm?-whatever Adam and Mathison used)

-heavier "warmups" jumping in at the narrower width-I wanted to try this width under contest conditions and noticed it was not as solid-feeling.

-attempts using 58mm-guessing the actual weights here:

185-good lift

195-good lift

204.94-fouled-the lift felt solid/easy, but the plates hit the bar rather than the pipe so the lift was disallowed but not counted as an attempt-good call by Adam here as I wouldn't want a tainted 82.5k class WR lift but my mistake did take some wind out of my sails as I felt unstoppable until then.

204.94-good lift but did not fly up quite as fast

212.5: got just a little air

I think being in a new environment and knowing I had a chance to be competitive made me uncharacteristically emotional and overly charged up. I usually am much more self-contained. I can't wait to see the videos of my attempts so I can learn something.

I got it and I am uploading it now. Sorry for the delay guys. I am getting location #2 opened up this week and it's cutting in on my online goofing.

Ill post a link in under 2 hours from now

I got it and I am uploading it now. Sorry for the delay guys. I am getting location #2 opened up this week and it's cutting in on my online goofing.

Ill post a link in under 2 hours from now

Work is getting in the way of posting video online - what are you thinking ? :whistel

Bob Sundin World Record Pinch :mosher

Bob if you would like I can pull all of your attempts and put that up too. I just need to skim through this camera.

Solid lift! :mosher:bow

Congrats on the new gym Adam!

Edited by daniel reinard

Bob Sundin World Record Pinch :mosher

Bob if you would like I can pull all of your attempts and put that up too. I just need to skim through this camera.

Yes, I'd really like that Adam. It would help me to see all the attempts plus everyone at work is asking about it, thanks buddy!

Solid lift! :mosher:bow

Congrats on the new gym Adam!

Thanks Daniel!

Man Bob, that didn't look like all you had either! Excellent lift. :bow

Thanks Matt,204.94 felt pretty solid, but 212.5 didn't go so well.