A Long Journey Back To Grip

pdfk20

Nice work Pete. You're getting some good progress!

Cheers, keep it up. I Like reading your log.

• 4 weeks later...

First grip sesh since the comp. Focus on 1/2 penny and shallow hub. With a couple of stub lifts thrown in for good measure.

only RH as there is a blood blister on my Left thumb from setting vulcan i think.

1/2 penny worked up to 14.6kg. Did 2 singles and held for 10s. Then upped the weight to 15.8kg (uncalibrated weight, just my crappy scales, need) and on my first attempt got it! PR!! (much to my surprise) 3 more attempts on it, and was lifting it up and down , but just not high enough. Need to buy some smaller than 1.25kg ol discs!

Switched to stub and managed to do 3 singles at 15.8, upped the weight to 17kg but twas not budging.

Shallow Hub: Warmed up on 15, 17.

** I've changed my technique on the griptopz, since saturdays comp. Im generating a focused squeeze on the apparatus before starting to pull upwards. Staying more relaxed, no more huffing and puffing before getting down. **

Went on to lift 19.9, 21.0 and 22.2 all to the required height. At 22.2 i managed one good single and 3 not so good, but took some advise from Mr Bevan and tried some like assissted holds at this weight, sort of like negatives i guess.

Vulcan with 30mm block

RH:

lvl 7 - 2 x 5

lvl 10 - 2 x 3

lvl 14 - 1 x 2

lvl 15 - x 1

lvl 16 - x 1

lvl 17 - 4mm miss

lvl 16 - x 1

LH: worked up to lvl 13, then did some singles with BBSM.

Stub:

RH:

12kg - 2 x 1

14.5kg - x 1

15.8kg - x 1

17.0kg - x 0 thumb slipped off within`1 inch of lifting

- x 0 didnt budge

- x 1 up she came (3rd time lucky!)

- x 0 came up about 4 inches and then decided to go down

1/2 penny as the thumb was feeling pretty good - 14.5kg - x 1 (easy, held for about 5s)

15.8kg - x 0

Tonight:

Tombstone

Shallow Hub

RH - 17.1 x 1

19.6 x 1

20.8 x 1

22.0 x 1

23.4 x 1 PR

24.6 x 0 didnt budge

23.4 x 0 - 6 inches up

23.4 x 0 - 2 inches up

22.2 x 2 - the second one felt as light as a feather

23.4 x 0 - about 4 inches ish

22.2 x 1

20.8 x 3 - Each lift held between 5 and 10s

Tonight:

Grippers and Vulcan CCS:

RH:

#1 1 x 5

#2 1 x 5

#2.5 2 x 1

#3 1 x 0 (about 2mm away)

V1 lvl 10 x 1

lvl 11 x 1

lvl 12 x 1

lvl 13 x 1

lvl 14 x 0

Stopped here, cos my index finger on left hand (setting finger) is rather sore, think i may have either bruised the bone...? or like just bruised something down the medial side of it, cos it hurts like hell when im setting any gripper now. Guess i'll not do any setting for a few days now.

1/2 penny

RH

12.1kg x 2

14.4kg x 2

15.6kg x 1

16.2kg x 1 PR !!!!

16.8kg x 0 ( made it up about 3 inches then slipped)

16.8kg x 1 PR !!!!!!!!!!!

16.8 x 1 - filmed this one - here's the link:

17.0kg x 0 - taken about 8 inches up

gonna try 17 a couple more times tonight with long breaks in between attempts to see if i have this weight in me tonight.

Pete1006

Edited by Pete1006

Great work at the comp Pete! One of these days I might get to see you on your home turf and maybe even compete with you at that low 82.5kg weight class.

Cheers Ben, Competing or training with you again would be cool!

Edited by Pete1006

Pete, your coin work is very impressive. I just received mine about 3 weeks before WSH and the only thing I've gotten from training it is blisters on my thumb and the side of my index finger.

What were your weight jumps/experiences on the Euro pinch in Leg one? I know I learned to make sure and hit the crossbar with the pipe, not the plates :blush and that when you get closer to your max, 2 kg is a big jump.

Pete, your coin work is very impressive. I just received mine about 3 weeks before WSH and the only thing I've gotten from training it is blisters on my thumb and the side of my index finger.

What were your weight jumps/experiences on the Euro pinch in Leg one? I know I learned to make sure and hit the crossbar with the pipe, not the plates :blush and that when you get closer to your max, 2 kg is a big jump.

Thanks mate. Yeah i got blisters when i first started training with it, i think the skin gets harder than can deal with it. Today after training last night, the skin is red and a bit tender but no blister. I was well below my best at the wsh with the griptopz, but Iv come on a lot in the last week. Im still learning, dont really know in a competition what i will announce as my lifts. But I think you should be in a range of like 2kg for your 1st to 4th lifts. So I'm hoping in leg 2 that my first lift will be like 14.5kg, then my 4th lift will be around 17kg. Take as many warm up lifts as you can handle to guide you.

I have a tendancy to hit the crossbar with the plates on the 2HP.

I think Bob meant "what were your weight jumps on the Euro in WSH Leg One?" I noticed, and maybe Bob did as well, that your leg 1 2HP number was well below your record. I'm curious as to why. Mainly because your PRs lately scare me. Excellent work going down man. Leg 2 will be interesting.

I think Bob meant "what were your weight jumps on the Euro in WSH Leg One?" I noticed, and maybe Bob did as well, that your leg 1 2HP number was well below your record. I'm curious as to why. Mainly because your PRs lately scare me. Excellent work going down man. Leg 2 will be interesting.

In the first leg, my first lift was 78 - which i thought would be a nice safe lift, but if felt not good, fingers sort of slipped as i lifted. - This knocked my confidence and was worried that i wouldn't be able to lift much at all.

So I upped to 80 for the next lift to play it safe. That was fine

Then went for 84. Fine

Then 88. Fail.

Nerves/excitement got the better of me on this event.

But also remember - I've never really trained 2HP (only recently in the last month have i started to work the tombstone into my workouts) - I don't own my own 2HP setup - My only experience of pinch is really in competition, on 2 previous occasions. So despite pulling 91 back in April, I have no confidence In my ability to consistently pull a certain number. 91 may have just been a very good day.

But having said that. I'm gonna be a lot more focused and calmer :calm going into the second leg, and this time I do expect to pull higher. Using an extra warm up lift probably, Im hoping my competition lifts in leg 2 will all be up.

But time will tell. Dan, glad you're feeling some pressure mate, makes the competition interesting. I won't go down without a fight! :D

Awesome, thanks for sharing Pete. I didn't know you have a very limited experience on the 2HP. That makes the lifts that much more impressive. I feel ya on how much things can vary between touches on one of those. That was the second time I had touched one. I just built one so hopefully I can not look so much like a rookie on this thing. It's such a technical lift. And those warmups really make a difference. Our 2HP didn't feel great either which took away lots of confidence so I came in early. Lifted 175, 185, 189, 198 (approx #). It wasn't until that last attempt I knew to stay in the running against you and Bob that I had to get closer to 200#, or that 91kg. I hope to not make big jumps next time, but when a 2HP feels off it jacks with the whole game plan.

All the best man. It's going to be a fight to the end, I can see it now. Fun stuff!

Cheers Daniel. Very impressive lifts for you too mate, I figured you would take to the 2HP very strong very quickly. Now I know Iv got to get at least 91/92 to stand a chance of a top 3 place in this event. Deep down I'd love to find some inspirational strength and find a lift of 95. I reckon I have it in me, cos I remember when I did lift 91, it came up pretty easily didn't slip or anything. I think the top 5 will be very close right down till the end of the 3rd leg. Very exciting and a good starter for the light weight class, which will surely only getting bigger and stronger in the following years.

In the first leg, my first lift was 78 - which i thought would be a nice safe lift, but if felt not good, fingers sort of slipped as i lifted. - This knocked my confidence and was worried that i wouldn't be able to lift much at all.

So I upped to 80 for the next lift to play it safe. That was fine

Then went for 84. Fine

Then 88. Fail.

Nerves/excitement got the better of me on this event.

But also remember - I've never really trained 2HP (only recently in the last month have i started to work the tombstone into my workouts) - I don't own my own 2HP setup - My only experience of pinch is really in competition, on 2 previous occasions. So despite pulling 91 back in April, I have no confidence In my ability to consistently pull a certain number. 91 may have just been a very good day.

But having said that. I'm gonna be a lot more focused and calmer :calm going into the second leg, and this time I do expect to pull higher. Using an extra warm up lift probably, Im hoping my competition lifts in leg 2 will all be up.

But time will tell. Dan, glad you're feeling some pressure mate, makes the competition interesting. I won't go down without a fight! :D

Pete, thanks for your reply it sounds like you played your lift jumps pretty smart. hindsight is always 20/20.

I was more emotional than usual as well, but I think the only thing it really hurt me on was repeatedly fumbling my set on the Vulcan.

It sure is different when your lifts really mean something as far as potentially winning or placing vs. "awww, isn't that cute, he can lift more than his BW-now go eat a sandwich" or "you're great pound-for-pound".

It is invigorating to be in the mix for the 82.5 class.

One thing that helped me was making sure I was pretty good w/ both hands in the 1HP. Because I can pinch 2x45 w/ either hand most days now, it gives me confidence that if I'm feeling halfway decent on contest day I can open at 180+ even if the apparatus isn't feeling the best. Adam's felt good, but not super grippy or anything.

Any coincidence the top two are climbers? :ninja:

All the best you guys. This is going to be a nail biter. And Elmer, he's a bit off the radar so he may have a surprise for us.

Any coincidence the top two are climbers? :ninja:

All the best you guys. This is going to be a nail biter. And Elmer, he's a bit off the radar so he may have a surprise for us.

What is it that is helping you climbers? The open hand strength? The "crimp"? Whatever it is, I want some of that. Too bad I'm deathly afraid of heights. :ph34r:

The question is; who will fade at the end and who will peak the last two legs-and will it be enough to overtake Daniel? Or will Daniel sweep all three legs?

Tonight:

Setting finger still sore, so still avoiding any set closes.

Stub to 17.0kg , lifted this weight bother left and right

Half penny to 16.8 and air under 17.0 again as before.

Shallow Hub got 2 lifts at 23.4 RH. And got about 4 inches of air under 24.6.

I reckon this one was closed at the 38s mark, but maybe its impossible to tell cos the angle of the camera isn't parallel with the gripper

Nice man. You're well on your way! Do you notice any rule in full recovery when you do a CCS like this? Like, can you do it the same day again after griptraining or for instance in the evening again when you trained that day? Or do you need one or two days rest?

Good work!

Tough to answer this. I only really train CCS once a week, as I'm training with griptopz and vulcan as well. But my training routine is very random to be honnest, I don't follow any real programme. I take each day as it comes and if i feel good or have the time i'll train.

In answer to your question, I don't really know, but I find I need recovery time. So I take a good 2 or 3 days between grippers workouts.

Great CCS #3 close the other day. Keep up the hard training.

Looking strong Pete :rock