A Long Journey Back To Grip

pdfk20

Hey guys,

I remembered my old username/password :) So for ease I will just continue with this username, and start up this new workout log.

Iv copied my first posts from the journal i started a couple of days ago with the new account i created for conveinience of reference:

-----------------

Hey all,

Im gonna start this journal to track my progress as i return to grip.

But firstly a little about my grip history,

I first got into grip in like 2005, as i was really into climbing and was seeking ways to improve my grip for climbing.

That led me to the captains of crush grippers, from there i was led to grippermania then from there to Gripboard.

I first closed the IM #3 in ocotober 2006 (hence my old name of Pete1006). Heres the old vid for that close:

http://www.youtube.c.../55/aIfbiBpcVaY

At xmas that year I was in Kansas and met up with Bencrush and had a great days gripping, the highlight for me was lifting 306.7 on the Vbar.

When i got back I was really into grip and was training hard, in the lead up to British Grip Champs 2007 (where i came 2nd in the novice class). That was a great day and i'd def love to get back to the form where i could return to a grip comp.

This is a vid of the one hand lift, i did, i love this vid, cos it really motivates me:

http://www.youtube.c.../28/YxyjwS17ang

On grippers i steadily improved up to around a 3.4 lvl, the hardest gripper i ever shut was my RB330N:

http://www.youtube.c.../10/ZDvavQsSkBc

I also did the MM1 and MM2. I was also really into plate pinching and hub lifting, and have some more vids on youtube of that.

At that point i was starting to get into bending, and was probably bending more than gripping, but i was never able to achieve a particularly high lvl with bending, and the best thing i did was like a 5" grade 5 bolt, and i think i put a few micro kinks in some grade 8's but could never take them further, and as my hands where taking a punishing, and i think i may have had a couple of tendon related injuries, i slowly stopped bending.

Similarly i sort of stopped training grip at first due to injury, but then as when i returned from maybe a month my strength had really dipped and my confidence knocked. I tried to make a comeback to training, in like early 2009, but was unable to put enough training sessions in to make steady improvements, so that attempt failed.

Anyway, thats more than enough history of me. So in like the last few months ive been going to the gym quite a bit, upping the weights and feeling strong again, so started picking up grippers and messing around, but think im gonna do some proper trianing.

Did an attempt this afternoon of #3 i had (it might be quite a tough #3 actually), but i managed to get it to within about 2mm from shut from a slightly wider than parallel set.

On a non grip front - im running a marathon next week.

Ill keep everyone posted with my progress here.

Pete

------------------

And heres my post from today:

05/04/11 Grippers Workout:

I filmed most of the big attempts and rediscovered how rubbish i am on taking vids of gripper attempts :P

BH: Warm up LS and TNS closes with #1 roughly 10 each

RH: #3 attempt x 3 all closed to somwwhere between 1mm and 3mm

MM2 replica closed ! Im pretty certain it was closed and on the vid there is a definate click sound which i think is pretty clear:

Then retried the #3 and came again to within about 3mm. Which is rather baffling, but there we are...

Finished with some OCs on the BBSM and also a slowish 2 wider than parallel reps with the BBSM on the last OC

LH : 4 x 1 on the BBSM all, closed

#3 attempt x 1 came to within about 6mm

OCs on #2.5 to finish

----------

Im looking forward to getting back into Grip.

Pete

Great to see you back, good luck on your goals and I look forward to the log :rock

Cheers Ben, Big T

Just seen the events for the 2011 British Grip and im thinking i might just enter for a bit of fun, there are events iv never tried such as weaver stick to rear and middle finger deadlift. Actually the middle finger deadlift i think sounds a bit dangerous :blink but id give it a go. Ill have to get my vulcan hand gripper out and train with it again :mosher

08/04/11

BH: Warm up closes on #1

RH: CCS BBSM (2.8) 5 x 1 all but last one closed comfortably with pause for the set.

1 attempt on #3 MMS missed by 2mm (will bring this #3 to the british grip 11, will be interesting to see how others rate it)

LH: 1 CCS close of #2.5 , but afterwards felt very weak so just did some #1 closes.

Will be picking up my loading pin with IM hub and plates on monday, so will be able to do some of that training, plus a bit of plate pinching.

Am doing some weights in the gym, but nothing too heavy so wont post it here.

Came home to Dorking today (otherwise im in london) and met up with my mate Mitch (who himself is very tough and has dabbled in some grip) and we had a bit of a grip session at his place.

Specifically we trained DO Middle finger Deadlifting and Ironmind hub lifting. And when i say train i really mean, experiement, i.e neither of us knew how much we could lift in the MFDL or what was a good lift etc.

We started at about 50kg which felt easy enough and just kept adding weight , 5kg at a time, until my best lift of 80kg, as below:

I tried 85kg and got it about 6 inches off the ground, but it slipped from my fingers.

Then I set up the Ironmind Hub (unused since 2007), and started with 15kg. I cant remember quite what i used to lift with the IM hub and have no videos with that, but i think my previous best was around 20kg, but then i could hub like 23 kg with the plates themselves.

Anyway, i managed in the end 22kg with the IM hub (adding in the weight of the IM loading pin and IM hub, and the total weight is probably about 23.5kg , but not too sure about this), and here is the video:

Will mess around with the Vulcan later and see how i get on. :)

Ok, so i messed around with the vulcan, and the best i got with the RH was lvl 16 and LH lvl 13, both with a 30mm set.

Ok, so i messed around with the vulcan, and the best i got with the RH was lvl 16 and LH lvl 13, both with a 30mm set.

That is very strong man! What spring do you have on your Vulcan? If it's a gold spring, then hands down for you!

(red spring also still very strong) I'm struggling with the Vulcan at level 15 to get it consistently. Gold spring btw.

Edited by Geralt

That is very strong man! What spring do you have on your Vulcan? If it's a gold spring, then hands down for you!

(red spring also still very strong) I'm struggling with the Vulcan at level 15 to get it consistently. Gold spring btw.

Cheers!

Its a red spring, I think it was in like the second batch of Vulcans made. Are the gold springs harder?

Cheers Ben,

Sorry slight correction to the vulcan lvls i reached as i just realised that there is a different scale of lvls depending on what type of spring you have. I have the original red spring, so my best RH was actually lvl 13 and LH lvl 10. Will definately work to improve these numbers. This makes more sense as my best was lvl 14 and that was after a lot of training.

Hahaha! That is correct, but hey, level 13 is still strong! Specially with the period of no training you had, you will be mashing the higher levels soon!

The Vulcan is very hard to set, much harder than a regular gripper. Thus, you have some strong hands.

If I may give an suggestion? I´ve altered my Vulcan so that it can easily be choked to parallel. That´s a great way to do chokerwork in microloading!

David Horne wrote that to be on the safe side, if you want to certify on the IM#3, your best bet is to close level 14 and 15 CCS, than you will be having the best range just to be safe.

Well, level 15 CCS is still a long road for me I guess..I can close it from choker now, but not consistently.

Gold spring is indeed harder, but I haven´t got a red spring or other springs, so my knowledge is from what i´ve read.

Good luck buddy with your training!

Cheers Geralt, yeah i find the setting part a real challenge, but from that i just take that i need to be stronger at setting, and doing things like choking grippers will slow u down in your gains at getting stronger at setting.., but i can see how its a good thing to do for training as well, but its not something that iv ever messed with really, also i dont have the apparatus for choking stuff.

Before i go for the cert, i'll prob buy 2 brand new #3's and if i can't CCS them both straight out the packet comfortably, pausing for the set, then repeating this feat 2 or 3 times on each gripper, if i cant do that, i'll know im not ready. Iv CCS'd #3s in the past, but never did it consistently so didnt go for the cert. Im hoping this time around it will be different :)

Pete, I'm right with you on the setting deal. I have a really weak set. Especially on the Vulcan I lose about 4 levels from what I can close @20mm if I have to set the gripper. Which beyond L10 I have trouble setting it at all! Which is fine for CCS, I guess, because there is not much setting going on :tongue Working against this challege is clearly making me stronger overall. With hard work, the strength will be there eventually!

Evening all,

My grip sesh this afternoon went as follows:

1. Vulcan Hand Gripper (batch 1

BH lvl 7 , 5 x 5

RH lvl 10 2 x 1 wide set closes

lvl 15 attempt missed by 1/4" forced shut and held at 1mm from shut

lvl 14 attempt missed by 2mm

lvl 13 2 x 1 30mm set closes

lvl 12 CCS 3 x 1

lvl 10 easy closes to warm down

LH best close was lvl 12 with a 10mm set, and with a CCS best was lvl 10.

2. IM Hub for distance.

RH:

Started with 15kg managed to walk 10m quite easily

Then tried 20kg and only made 1m :(

Then tried 17.5kg and managed about 7m, felt strong, so:

Tried 20kg again, and managed about 5m :)

LH best was about 3m with 17.5kg

3. pinch work with 2 x 15kg plates : mixed it up with left and right lifts, managed a couple of RH 2 finger pinch lifts , fine.

attempted 2x20kg one handed, but it wouldn't budge (this is a feat iv never actually managed, so would love to get it soon.

Then played 1 hour of badminton

Will do some more DO MFDL tomorrow.

Todays sesh:

Vulcan Hand Gripper (Red Spring)

BH: Lvl 7 warm up closes

RH:

lvl 10 x1

lvl 14 missed by 2mm x 3

lvl 13 x 2

lvl 10 CCS x 2

LH:

lvl 10 x 2

lvl 12 missed by 3 mm x 2

lvl 10 x 2

lvl 8 CCS x 1

IM Hub (excluding weight of pin and hub)

RH:

15kg x 2

17.5kg x 1

20kg x 1

22.5kg taken to about 4 inches above the ground x 2

21.25kg x 1

LH:

15kg x 2

17.5kg x 1

20kg x 1

attempted a 1HP of 2x20kg plates, but its not budging. ........one day.....

Just closed the #3 for the first time in about 2 years :mosher

Todays sesh:

BH : #1 x 5

RH: #3 attempts x 5, 2 closed, 3 missed by about 2mm and 1 caught on video:

Vulcan (batch1) lvl 13 x 1

lvl 14 x 1

lvl 15 attempt missed by about 3mm

LH: Vulcan lvl 13 attempts x 5 , best one within about 3mm ish.

IM Hub work , 17.5kg lifts for time .

Congratulations Pete!!

Nice to see you in action again.

Do you know the events for the British Comp and what date its on.

How did the marathan go ?

I have trouble getting out the car let alone running 26 miles , so will done mate.

Congratulations Pete!!

Nice to see you in action again.

Do you know the events for the British Comp and what date its on.

How did the marathan go ?

I have trouble getting out the car let alone running 26 miles , so will done mate.

Cheers dude.

Yeah all the details are over on David Hornes World of Grip website forum. But its the 14th May.

Marathon not so good, i twisted my ankle badly, 4 days before i was supposed to run and decided not to risk it.

Ankle is doing a lot better now, so training on the running again slowly, building up the miles again , i want to do a marathon soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Not posted anything new in this last week, as been having a much lighter week in the build up to the british grip.

Off to that tomorrow. Havent done the 2HP since 07 so looking forward to that, if i can lift 80kg+ i'll be really happy.

Ill be picking up the GripTopz set and maybe a tombstone as well, so will have lots of new grip stuff to train with for the future.

Had an awesome day at David Hornes for the British Grip Champs.

Top 3:

1. Nick McKinless

2. David Horne

3. Pete Kerr

I broke the under 82.5kg world record on the 2HP with a lift of 91kg and broke the british record for under 82.5kg with the Vulcan Hand Gripper (10mm block) with a close at lvl 17.

The other events were Weaver stick , Middle finger DO deadlift and the GripTopz shallow hub for time.

After the comp, i managed to lift 2 x20kg plates 1HP for the first time, a 45lb hub plate for the first time and also managed to lift the baby inch dumbell (another first)

So i'm really chuffed on a good day of grip,

Looking forward to training on, and getting stronger and hopefully posting bigger numbers.

Im hoping for 100kg on the 2HP at the next comp.

Pete

Strong work! also the Vulcan level 17! Great. red or gold spring? you are really rising now in strength so it seems!

Thanks Geralt, think it must have been a gold spring, but its all a bit of a blur right now