North American Grip National Championship

Jedd Johnson

chris

if the nose tork box is clear plastic with a red and white sticker, it's mine.

will you be at throwers anon?

It's yours Brent. I'm not going to Throwers Anon - I can send it or keep it until next time - whatever you choose. This accounts for everything people left here - thanks all.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Mike Rinderle

• climber511

• jad

Sounds like an amazing comp. ! Congrats to all the competitors, way to show up and bring it ! And sounds like the organizers put on one heck of a contest. Great work by all !

Let's get some results posted!

Two Hand Pinch

58mm

Matt Cannon - 170.4 (Open)

Nick Rosendaul - 195.4 (Open)

Daniel Reinard - 180.4 (Open)

Brent Barbe - 220.4 (Open)

54mm

Mike Rinderle - 186.61 (Open)

Malcolm Majesky - 186.61 (Novice)

Andrew Durniat - 221.61 (Elite)

Tim Struse - 231.61 (Open)

Jedd Johnson - 264.61 (Elite)

50mm

Chris Rice - 222.4375

Adam Glass - 240.0375

48mm

Matt Massaro - 189.906 (Novice)

Josh Dale - 214.906 (Open)

38mm

Austin Acree - 167.58 (Novice)

Grippers

Matt Massaro - 127.81 (Novice)

Matt Cannon - 141.34 (Open)

Austin Acree - 141.34 (Novice)

Chris Rice - 146.3 (Open)

Nick Rosendaul - 146.3 (Open)

Daniel Reinard - 146.3 (Novice)

Malcolm Majexky - 146.3 (Novice)

Brent Barbe - 156.4 (Open)

Mike Rinderle - 156.4 (Open)

Adam Glass - 182.1 (Elite)

Josh Dale - 182.1

Jedd Johnson - 182.1 (Elite)

Andrew Durniat - 191.85 (Elite)

Tim Struse - 191.85 (Open)

Plateau Buster

Matt Cannon - 300 (Open)

Austin Acree - 380 (Novice)

Chris Rice - 400 (Open)

Brent Barbe - 450 (Open)

Malcolm Majesky - 450 (Novice)

Mike Rinderle - 450 (Open)

Nick Rosendaul - 450 (Open)

Daniel Reinard - 460 (Novice)

Josh Dale - 470 (Open)

Tim Struse - 470 (Open)

Adam Glass - 560 (Elite)

Andrew Durniat - 600 (Elite)

Wrist Roller

Austin Acree - 20.375 (Novice)

Matt Cannon - 22.625 (Open)

Nick Rosendaul - 30.833 (Open)

Chris Rice - 31.875 (Open)

Jedd Johnson - 34.125 (Elite)

Josh Dale - 34.958 (Open)

Mike Rinderle - 36 (Open)

Malcolm Majesky - 38.583 (Novice)

Adam Glass - 40.166 (Elite)

Daniel Rainard - 41.166 (Novice)

Brent Barbe - 43.5 (Open)

Tim Struse - 45.291 (Open)

Andrew Durniat - 45.666 (Elite)

Grippers

Josh Dale - 182.1

I don't know why this jumped out at me, but I'm almost positive he closed a 150-something gripper.

AND, thank you so much for posting the results Jedd! :D

Guys, we had unbelievable sponsors for the Grip Sport Championship this year. Please check them out.

I believe I coded this properly so that all the videos I have been able to upload at this point play consecutively, but if not, I will also post the links here as well.

TheGripAuthority.com

TPS

Fat Gripz

Silverback Strength Equipment

Grapple Grips

Salonpas

Swager Strength

Buy Oxygen 4 Energy

Grip 4orce

York Barbell

Biofreeze

Stronger Designs

Chris Rice

There are still more guys. I just have not had the chance to shoot videos for them.

Also, if you check out this page on the Grip Sport website, you will see the complete list: Grip Sport Nationals Sponsors

Is there an email list for the contacts for these sponsors? Some I know of course and have thanked them personally but it would be nice to be able to at least shoot them a quick email and let them know we appreciate their sponsorship akin to a grip thank you card.

Plateau Buster

Brent Barbe - 450 (Open)

I thought I got 500?

is there any chance you can post the whole sheet? maybe as a google doc like chris does?

Plateau Buster

Brent Barbe - 450 (Open)

I thought I got 500?

is there any chance you can post the whole sheet? maybe as a google doc like chris does?

never mind.

I'll get the 2hp list updated tonight or tomorrow morning.

Here are just some random thoughts about Nationals in no particular order. There was a lot of talk about body weight and hand size beforehand. Jedd and I talked about getting stats on everyone but then didn’t remember in the excitement of the contest. We had 2 competitors under the 82.5 K limit. I think I was probably the only one under my 94 K limit. Josh and Adam were only a little over that and everyone else was bigger. But there was no one there with significant body fat – everyone was pretty lean and muscular. Both 82.5 guys were quite thin and can easily carry a lot more muscle if they choose to do so. I know Daniel is a climber and may well choose to stay light to climb well but he could easily add a lot of BW and still look good. Both lightweights were very strong and not only in the pound for pound way. I don’t know their hand size.

Events

20 mm Block Set Grippers – can’t really say I liked this but to be fair I don’t really like any sort of grippers. I no doubt should have practiced more with the block but what was surprising to me – very few others had a really good looking set process with the block either – lots of fumbling around. Tim Struse looked smooth – maybe he practiced with it or is just crazy strong (or both)?

Euro pinch – went smooth enough but seemed like it took a really long time. We flipped a coin to see if it was thick to thin etc. For contest purposes, we are going to have to come up with a way to make this event go faster. Doc and I were discussing a few things – we’ll see if it leads to anything. Multiple classes could use more than one setup but what I would like to see is a type of collar and disk assembly that would allow a true raising bar situation with changing weights and widths all at once that is quick and easy. It’s something to think about and work on. Having Mary Ann and Doc et al to do the loading was a real blessing this time.

Medley – not sure I like having this many items in the Medley – especially in an area the size of my gym – it got really confusing it seemed to me. Laid out in a better pattern over a larger area, I think would be a lot better. Too many block weights I thought – not all were heavy but there were an awful lot of them – out of proportion to other things it seemed. It turned into a speed and item choice event as much as strength. I think I like slightly fewer items better really where you have time to try every item and speed is not such as issue but that’s just me.

Wrist Roller – I never expected it to destroy people like it did. People were totally out of gas after it. This thing was like a full body workout – the sled was easy to pull but it became all about how fast you could move and keep moving. Brutal yet really fun – the smaller diameter was better for me than the big one last year I thought.

Plateau Buster – My grip was definitely good for more but the back wasn’t going to go any higher safely so I quit. But I didn’t hurt myself so it was good. I’m not sure what I think of this as a grip test yet – I didn’t see anyone’s grip fail throughout the entire event – which should happen if grip is the limiting factor. It was a fun event and impressive seeing the big numbers – I’m just not sure about it as a pure grip test.

Please don’t take this as meaning I am criticizing the contest – I am (as a promoter) only looking for what I think about the different things for the future and how to put on the best possible contest down the road. A tweak here and there can always make things go better.

Something I think needs mentioned is Austin Acree. He was a competitor in the Novice class. I don’t know how many of you know this but his is quite a story. He and his dad stopped in on Friday night – great people. This young man is a kidney transplant recipient – and his father was the donor. He competed, he did every event – and was strong as heck – now that’s a story of courage and getting on with life under circumstances most of us can never imagine. I am proud to have met him and come to know him and his father a little. I hope he can make it back over for Gripmas this year. Next time you can’t get to a contest because you have a hangnail – think of this young man.

I want to say a little about Jedd also – he came over Friday morning and we spent all day setting stuff up and getting ready (it’s hard to believe how much work goes into a comp unless you have done one). He could barely move – we stretched him, hung him in my inversion table, etc etc. That evening Mike, Josh, and Adam showed up and Adam ran him thru a ton of stuff to try and “fix” him. Then the next day he comes in and does yet another World Record pinch – gutsy performance. I know most people there had and were working thru some kind of injury but Austin and Jedd stood out to me.

I’d like to mention Adam real quickly as well. Like most of you, I had seen a little about his “Gym Movement”. I had tried it just a little working from the free internet information but knew I wasn’t getting it right. I had hoped he would show me just a little about it but he kindly went far beyond my expectations and ran me through enough to make me have a fairly basic understanding of it. It is something I want to explore a little deeper. To be honest I had just dismissed it until he showed it to me – my advice – keep an open mind about new things. Even old dogs can learn new tricks – well we can try anyway.

The little group get together the night before reminded me of our old “get togethers” that I enjoy so much. This is where a ton of training information gets shared – without the time constraints of a comp. Learning how to two hand pinch from the World Record holder first hand doesn’t happen everyday. I really think a few little tweaks to Adams technique here that night is what bumped him up so far the next day. I think I’ll try and plan something like this into Gripmas this year if people want it.

Great write up Chris. It's these sorts of things that make me want to get my ducks in a row to get down there.

Plateau Buster – My grip was definitely good for more but the back wasn’t going to go any higher safely so I quit. But I didn’t hurt myself so it was good. I’m not sure what I think of this as a grip test yet – I didn’t see anyone’s grip fail throughout the entire event – which should happen if grip is the limiting factor. It was a fun event and impressive seeing the big numbers – I’m just not sure about it as a pure grip test.

I think the grip was the factor for most. I think that it was like a RT lift that exceeds your ability. ie, you can't stand up even though it's only 180. I think that's why there where so few dropped lifts.

The little group get together the night before reminded me of our old “get togethers” that I enjoy so much. This is where a ton of training information gets shared – without the time constraints of a comp. Learning how to two hand pinch from the World Record holder first hand doesn’t happen everyday. I really think a few little tweaks to Adams technique here that night is what bumped him up so far the next day. I think I’ll try and plan something like this into Gripmas this year if people want it.

Funny you mentioned this, Adam, Jedd and I were talking about next years Nationals and my goal is to make it a 3 day event/festival of sorts. Grip championships will still be on the Saturday, but friday will contain speakers and free-flowing information. Sunday will be another fun day of lifting; highland or highlander games. I want peoples travels to be well worth it on many levels. Thoughts?

Grippers

Josh Dale - 182.1

I don't know why this jumped out at me, but I'm almost positive he closed a 150-something gripper.

Yeah it was a 154.something on the 4th attempt. Thanks Matt.

Great write-up Chris!!

I had no idea about Austin. He showed no signs of slowing down and was going full speed in the wrist roller and medley. Truly inspirational.

The little group get together the night before reminded me of our old "get togethers" that I enjoy so much. This is where a ton of training information gets shared – without the time constraints of a comp. Learning how to two hand pinch from the World Record holder first hand doesn't happen everyday. I really think a few little tweaks to Adams technique here that night is what bumped him up so far the next day. I think I'll try and plan something like this into Gripmas this year if people want it.

Funny you mentioned this, Adam, Jedd and I were talking about next years Nationals and my goal is to make it a 3 day event/festival of sorts. Grip championships will still be on the Saturday, but friday will contain speakers and free-flowing information. Sunday will be another fun day of lifting; highland or highlander games. I want peoples travels to be well worth it on many levels. Thoughts?

Only that this is an excellent idea!

Grippers

Josh Dale - 182.1

Sorry about that. I must have read up one line. He did indeed close a 154.1.

Guys, we had unbelievable sponsors for the Grip Sport Championship this year. Please check them out.

I believe I coded this properly so that all the videos I have been able to upload at this point play consecutively, but if not, I will also post the links here as well.

TheGripAuthority.com

TPS

Fat Gripz

Silverback Strength Equipment

Grapple Grips

Salonpas

Swager Strength

Buy Oxygen 4 Energy

Grip 4orce

York Barbell

Biofreeze

Stronger Designs

Chris Rice

There are still more guys. I just have not had the chance to shoot videos for them.

Also, if you check out this page on the Grip Sport website, you will see the complete list: Grip Sport Nationals Sponsors

Is there an email list for the contacts for these sponsors? Some I know of course and have thanked them personally but it would be nice to be able to at least shoot them a quick email and let them know we appreciate their sponsorship akin to a grip thank you card.

I will get this out there. Yes.

For the record, brent did not lift 500 on the PB. As I recall, he ran out of the gym screaming for ice after his 450 or 460 lift. :tongue

The little group get together the night before reminded me of our old "get togethers" that I enjoy so much. This is where a ton of training information gets shared – without the time constraints of a comp. Learning how to two hand pinch from the World Record holder first hand doesn't happen everyday. I really think a few little tweaks to Adams technique here that night is what bumped him up so far the next day. I think I'll try and plan something like this into Gripmas this year if people want it.

It'd definitely make it even more appealling for travelling a couple of thousand miles let alone the guys travelling a couple hundred.

My thoughts? Great minds think alike :whistel

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for anything and everything that they did at the competition. Andrew told me at the beginning of the day that I would be getting a whole new education today and he was right. It was truly a great experience.

There were so many great performances, it was fun to watch. Thank you to everyone who helped out and thank you to the Rice family for opening up your gym and home to us. I'll see you all soon.

Malcolm, great to meet you as well. Hope those hand tears are healing up!