NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Im 27 years old, and just getting back on the training wagon after falling off the wagon for a few months. I am looking for all around grip strength. So far I have been able to pinch grip deadlift 2 25 pound plates and 4 10 pound plates (made by CAP Barbell). I do not have any CoC grippers yet so I do not know what I am capable of on those. My main interest besides general grip strength is hand health so I can still be doing this when Im 80.

Greetings; I am 5'11" 195 Lbs and have been training my grip for around two years. I can close the coc #2 and can comfortably pinch 2x35 plates. My goals are to close the #3 and to do pinch grip rafter pullups. I love this sport; and I am becoming a gripaholic. For some reason I get this burst of euphoria from sqeezing things. My friends think I am nutty but I think you guys know where I am coming from.

hello, my name is dan. i'm 5'7" about 215 and just turned 24. i just started grip training seriously, but have been weight training for about 3 years now. i want to develop all aspects of my grip strength. i plan to begin posting my workouts so any advice would be great!

Greetings; I am 5'11" 195 Lbs and have been training my grip for around two years. I can close the coc #2 and can comfortably pinch 2x35 plates. My goals are to close the #3 and to do pinch grip rafter pullups. I love this sport; and I am becoming a gripaholic. For some reason I get this burst of euphoria from sqeezing things. My friends think I am nutty but I think you guys know where I am coming from.

you be at the right place yogi. ain't nuthin' like the bones crushing in a handshake even

when you are only going 25%. gotta apologize but power, it be a rush.

just kiddin', partially, but to be politically correct, it ain't cute to like being able

to grind a hand to dust. :rock

long story short, for real, the last hand I shook was a surgeon and mistakenly

shook a little hard. he thouhgt that it was broken.

ya gotta be careful out there, ala hill street blues. :rock

some of these guys will say that the handshake crush will not come, but

it will and be careful. use it when necessary only. :rock

P.S. I can't even close a COC #2 yet.

Edited by Bonzi

Hey I'm new but hope to make some good gains in grip strength very soon now that I have learned of this site. Oh yeah I'm 6'7/6'8 300 lbs-pretty big but not much training behind me, yet!-

I learned about the COC about 2 months ago so ordered a level one and it was pretty easy I was able to rep it without too much trouble, so got #2 and this was tough I was able to close it though-can now do around 3-5 reps or so I believe haven't trained fresh with it in awhile-. I now am looking for a good program to help me reach my goal of closing #3, which I want to do sometime next year for sure. And eventually close #4. If anyone here can point me in right direction be good or I'll make another post in a week or two.

-Looking for good forearm exercises and how to train with the grippers, I usually just rep out the #1 when I'm bored and the #2 when I'm stressed-

I know nothing about grip training and only this year have learned hot to train correctly with just weights.

I'm a thrower at my community college-new to this but pretty good learner, and I'm on track to break few school records my 2nd year- Grip is pretty important with shot and discuss so this is why its good for me to have strong grip, also plan to do amature strongman in a few years time.

What’s up ppl!!! My name is Oscar, I am Colombian born, but raised in Queens, New York. Im about 6ft 3in tall and weigh in at 245lbs. I accidentally stumbled upon the Iron mind website one faithful afternoon while doing research on grip and forearm training. I bought the Coc trainer at age 18 and have been interested in grip training ever since. I am currently working to close the Coc#2 with both hands( I can get the gripper to about 2/8ths of an inch.). I was recently introduced to pinch gripping and other such methods of training that I’ve added to my arsenal, hopefully with enough hard work I can achieve my goal to certify on the Coc #3.

Absno is short for Abdominalsnoman which is my sherdog username. I am still making newb gains in PL. I am a St. Wilhelm's member. I am 6'3" 320lbs and 32 years old. I am focusing on weightloss and PL and my grip interests are related to DL. I can pinch 25s with each hand, but I haven't closed the CoC #1 yet. I am 1mm or less away on the right and 1/4 inch on the left. I'm doing a 5x5 program 3x a week and cardio 5x a week.

Newbie here!

Thanks everyone for making this an excellent forum and source of information.

I am a 51 yr old man (6'1', 190 lbs) living just west of Atlanta, GA, who used to be somewhat of an athlete in my younger days... and now trying to put off the aging process as best I can in a variety of ways.

I always had what I considered a weak grip and in the last several months I have gotten the urge to try to improve it. I guess it's not too late. I have been reading quite a few articles on-line and have now decided that what I really want is to improve my overall handstrength, not just my grip. Why? Just for my own personal satisfaction, I guess (ego!).

Anyway, I bought a COC Trainer gripper a little over a month ago and have been working on that (very consistently over the last three weeks). I was just about to order a #1 since the T got pretty easy to do (4 sets of 12 reps, 3 times/wk) pretty quickly. But, today I read the FAQ by Mr Horne that recomended a different way to proceed for beginners and I think I will try to switch to that. It will be difficult to drop the gripper routine that I have been doing, though... those things are addictive! Before finding this forum, I had recently discovered the "block weight" lifting concept and was checking out cast dumbells at WalMart to chop up! I guess that will have to wait for a while, also. For now, I need to re-read that Beginner Routine FAQ and see if I can get some of the things I need for that.

I'm also considering buying some baoding balls to work with in spare time.

I doubt I'll be posting very much, just reading and asking a few questions, but I wanted to thank you all for this forum and the chance to learn (and develop some good handstrength) from your experise.

Cheers, y'all!

Edited by Relayer

I'm new here, I've had a few grippers for about a year or so now but haven't been serious with them. I usually just do grip to make sure my DL grip is in check (I PL). But lately, I've been having more and more fun doing grip work.. I think I'm getting addicted.

Oh, and I'm just here to learn from the best!

and as far as grip-related accomplishments so far, i've closed a 2, double hubbed 45's, right hand hubbed a 52.5, one handed pinched 2 25's, and 2hp'd (on 88mm width) 130+ lbs.

Edited by plgut

Hey,

My name is Jodey (yes I am a Guy, Thanks ma) and I have been working out on and off for about 9 yrs. I am 6' 261lb not all muscle but not all fat either. I used to be a PT and have done MMA, BJJ and other Martial arts for about 14 yrs on and off.

I trained the most/hardest out of Hackneys Combat in Roselle Illinois (4yrs).

My co worker (BB Gun) got me into nail bending and grip training. My first day I bent a Blue, Yellow several nails and a bolt with leather wraps I cant put more than a kink in a red through :angry: I was sore for 3 days after.

My goal is to inprove strengh and have fun.

Hello everybody, my name is Sean, I am 26 and I live in TX. I coach the Olympic sport of fencing in central TX. I have recently added isometrics and plyometrics to my weight routine to round out my fencing workouts. I came to the conclusion that grip training would be very beneficial to my fencing techniques. I'm 5ft. 9in. tall and I weigh about 143 at the moment. Speed is a key factor in my fencing, so I would like to stay at least 150 and below. But I also want to have the hand crushing power that most of you have or enough power to be impressive for my size. Any advice that anyone has to offer for a beginner would be greatly appreciated. :cool

sorry i forgot to introduce myself! my name is Chris, and i live in Hau'ula Hawaii. i'm 23 yrs old, 6'5 and 300lbs. i'm training my grip with grippers so far only the trainer and #1 but will be getting others soon. i haven't trained this entire year because of personal matters so now i must get back into the grind. i'm currently working light deadlifts and squats because i haven't found enough weights yet. i also was introduced to grip training 2 months ago and have avidly been training it ever since. i train for MMA and other types of combat sports and i feel grip is very important for me. i also wouldn't mind putting on some solid weight even though i'm a fairly big guy already. i really wanted to get into this forum because i was told the best grippers in the world post here and i just know i'll learn and make gains incredibly fast by taking in all your wisdom and advice on grip strength, and i feel very privileged to be able to post and read the posts here.

I don't think you are nutty!

Hey,

I'm Jonathon. I'm 20 years old and 5'11, 165lbs. I have trained with Booyah!!! in bending about 3 times and the 3rd i got the 6" G5 bolt. My sights are set on the IM red nail (still a ways off IMO)

I've always been interested in challenging myself and pushing myself beyond the limits, but cannot powerlift anymore due to lower back injury :(

As it stands now I'm addicted to bending. I don't see myself slowing down any.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge and experience Gripboard brings :rock

Welcome Johnathon, you're off to a good start and if you train with Mike you've got a great chance to get the Red quickly.

Hey,

My name is Jodey (yes I am a Guy, Thanks ma) and I have been working out on and off for about 9 yrs. I am 6' 261lb not all muscle but not all fat either. I used to be a PT and have done MMA, BJJ and other Martial arts for about 14 yrs on and off.

I trained the most/hardest out of Hackneys Combat in Roselle Illinois (4yrs).

My co worker (BB Gun) got me into nail bending and grip training. My first day I bent a Blue, Yellow several nails and a bolt with leather wraps I cant put more than a kink in a red through :angry: I was sore for 3 days after.

My goal is to inprove strengh and have fun.

Now listen here Jodey, putting a kink in a red is no small feat!!!

Welcome guys!!!

Hello, I'm PJ, 35 y/o , 5'11" , 140#. I've been training for off and on for over a year. I do some rock climbing but that is not my reason for grip training, I enjoy it as a hobby of its own. I train with grippers, pinch and bending. Goals for this year include OA pullup, rafter pullups, closing a CoC #2 and bending 1/4" x 7" nail. I'm trying to figure out the best way to combine gripper training with bending, so I can make the best gains with both. It seems most of what I read on the training logs is that people are spending most of their time with either bending or grippers. Any suggestions on how to train both at the same time would be greatly appreciated.

I'm enjoying all the great information and experience on here.

PJ

Hello All,

I have also lurked but, not for too long,

My name is Brandon and Have been interested in grip strength for a number of years but only recently have I bought the C.O.C grippers, Darn Addictive! I have always liked Real strength feats involving true, and brute force.

weight: 155

Goals: Like many, close C.O.C #3 under certified conditions

if you would like to learn more dont be afraid to ask.

Take care

B.J.M.

Hello-

My name is Todd. I'm 6'1", 220lbs, and 38 years old. I've been involved in amateur powerlifting for about 20 years, but I have recently decided to change my training style. I am going to focus more on a bodybuilder type of workout, and I am also going to start doing some serious grip training twice per week. I have a set of Ironmind grippers, a set of Heavy Grips (much easier than the Ironminds), some blobs, and I recently purchased a Beefbuilder grip machine. My goal is to certify on the C.O.C. #3 within the next 6-12 months. I probably won't post very often, but I will be reading these forums daily. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this valuable resource!

Ey, how's it going? I'm Troy, 17 years old 6"2ish, 67kg, yes I'm skinny and I like it that way! I'm a passionate Christian and it's good to see some dudes on here are aswell! Always training hard to stay in good shape, but only just getting into grip training seriously now basically cause I love it :S It was funny when I first started I wasn't expecting it, but it's so addictive; I just started wanting to crush things and lift heavier using less fingers haha. Will post some videos soon hopefully of where I'm at with my training and as a result will hopefully get some advice and criticism from you champions of grip :) I'm from Australia, melbourne specifically, haven't found too many grip fanatics down here yet but hopefully that'll change. Just thought I'd say hello and train hard :)

Thanks

Troy

Hi! My name is Harry Grigg. I am a 22 year old Powerlifter, from Newcastle in England. Weight is around 120/265, depending: Powerlifting PBs are at just under 300/660 squat, 180/396 bench, and260/572 deadlift. Forearms are 14'', for what that's worth. Hold UK U18 national records in all disciplines and total. I suffered an injury squatting about 3 years ago, resulting in a slipped disc and resultant loss of strength and condition through being unable to train for some months, and losing the fat I put on during this period further eroded my mass. I am building back up to full strength: I have qualified for the UK U23 Nationals for the first time in 2 years this year after resuming serious competition, and hope to continue making solid progress.

As my deadlift numbers have marched up again, I find I am failing on hands before my posterior chain has reached its limit. After some research, I am informed that deadlift alone will build only moderate grip endurance, and little max strength: I decided as a result of this to improve my grip, both to maximise my deadlift, and for its own sake. I love training anything I can! I also play Ice Hockey: a powerful grip will improve my shot significantly.

Current hand strength is above untrained level, but likely very poor relative to the advanced members of this board. I can lever an 8 pound sledge fairly comfortably to the face, but not upwards from the floor ( can get a slight cheat rep but not clean, close though ). I can easily own store grippers, for what little that is worth.

I have bought myself some 2 inch scaffold pole and attached collars, making a nice 20 kilo, £5 thick bar. I have been using this for a few weeks for my curls, rows, military presses, and some overhand deadlift as hand assistance to my heavy work. Getting to about 130 kg for a set of 5 with that, bearing in mind that is after repping 230+ on a standard bar. 1 handed, can move about 60 kg. I love the feel of it. I also have a set of Heavy Grippers, and the CoC#2 and #3, basically as a reminder of what is possible, and possibly as a long term goal. I have recently acquired an Iron Woody with extra springs. And of course I have my trusty sledge. I use a Powerball for some endurance, dexterity, and a little direct work. Can get 12.5k on a well worn neon, which is ok compared to the records on their site.

Can anyone make suggestions as to what I should be doing, training wise? I currently train about 2 times per week - can't train too close to deadlift workout or I will compromise my ability to go heavy. This will change after the 27th, when I will be cycling light on my deadlift.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given!

Harry G