Best One Armed Dumbell Row?

G-Man

LOL - The "correct" form vs the form that "leads to injury" look essentially the same.

How do you mean exactly?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• lifesnotfair

• Kashtan

• ChrisJames

Well I tried out doin rows like the dude in wannagrips video with a pause at the top. I ended up doing 120 each arm for 5 with a pause and that was about my max effort. Thereafter I did my regular form/no humping and did 150x5 which felt like the same effort. Big difference.

With the new straps, weight feels light but leg gets in way of dumbbell - have to experiment with a different stance to keep that from happening and to get a better ROM.

Turn the DB 45* so the back end is on the outside of your leg. You'll probably find this hand position more comfortable than straight and you'll be able to row farther toward your body (ROM).

In about a week or so, will try the world famous Iron Sport Gym, about 20-minutes from where I live:

Going to attempt Millenium Dumbell wrist curls and Millenium Dumbell rows (with straps of course).

• 3 weeks later...

Need to make a correction: verified with Iron Sport Gym that they have a Circus and not a Millennium Dumbbell. It turns out their Circus is 160 so we won't be going there for those lifts

Got 305 x 8R/3L yesterday but need to improve ROM and form before uploading; the last few were like a bent over, one-armed deadlift. It was a total of three sets: 305 x 7R/3L, 305 x 5R/2L and 305 x 8R/3L. Trying very, very hard to get the best ROM.

We followed that with sets of 6-14 in the V-Bar Pull-Up to finish back.

As strength historians know, Paul Anderson did not get to 1200 in the squat by cutting the weight in half and going strict. He got there by overloading the weight and gradually increasing the ROM.

Need to make a correction: verified with Iron Sport Gym that they have a Circus and not a Millennium Dumbbell. It turns out their Circus is 160 so we won't be going there for those lifts

Got 305 x 8R/3L yesterday but need to improve ROM and form before uploading; the last few were like a bent over, one-armed deadlift. It was a total of three sets: 305 x 7R/3L, 305 x 5R/2L and 305 x 8R/3L. Trying very, very hard to get the best ROM.

As strength historians know, Paul Anderson did not get to 1200 in the squat by cutting the weight in half and going strict. He got there by overloading the weight and gradually increasing the ROM.

Not trying to state the obvious here, but if you can't get the ROM the weight is too heavy.

Since straps seem to come up in this thread a lot, can someone recommend me a good lifting strap? I only need one, because I am only going to use it for DB rows. My left hand's grip is inhibiting using the maximum amount of weight I can use with good form.

Since straps seem to come up in this thread a lot, can someone recommend me a good lifting strap? I only need one, because I am only going to use it for DB rows. My left hand's grip is inhibiting using the maximum amount of weight I can use with good form.

APT straps!!!! They sponsor a ton of grip contests and you won't bust them. More importantly they make the most original straps you'll ever see. I've won camo ones and some with naked ladies on them. I've given them both away because I just refuse to own a pair but they've made some of my friends very happy.

Yeah, I still feel kind of dirty asking about straps on the gripboard. I swear they're just for DB rows though! :tongue I don't need them for anything else.

Just commenting on the strap issue. Movements like row and deadlifts and some others are to strengthen primary movers (Back, lats, quads, Glutes, ect..) and not the grip! You must use straps to make the primary moves as strong as they can become. Turning those lifts into gripping movements would weaken the primary movers.

When I used to train my deadlift or rows etc I started off my sets with no straps, and only put them on if my grip was going to prevent me from pulling a weight...but any max lift was allways done WITHOUT straps...what good is being able to lift 600 lbs if you cant hold it in your hands??

yea, I know what you are saying, Frank. It's just that if I'm going to lift 600 pounds in the gym, wheather my grip can do it or not, I'm using straps. I have closed the #3 years ago. And to this day - right now - I can close a #2 for 8-12 reps right hand and 4-8 left hand. My grip is fine. But if I want to test my primary movers, I'll use straps. I don't go by the rules of Powerlifting (that says no straps allowed). I don't Powerlift and do not follow the sport. It is in a sad state of affairs! When I lift in the gym, I train hard and have fun. I do what I want and train the way I feel like. I can Barbell curl 170 (with just a slight cheat), wrist curl 230 for reps, bend bolts, swing sledge hammers for hours (I have set world records) and run five miles - all at a body weight of 205 (I'm 6-1) and at 54 years old. Trust me, I'm having a blast training the way I train and I'm one of the fittest and strongest (pound for pound)men you will find. But if you don't use straps, GREAT! I respect that too. Good luck, and train hard!

yea, I know what you are saying, Frank. It's just that if I'm going to lift 600 pounds in the gym, wheather my grip can do it or not, I'm using straps. I have closed the #3 years ago. And to this day - right now - I can close a #2 for 8-12 reps right hand and 4-8 left hand. My grip is fine. But if I want to test my primary movers, I'll use straps. I don't go by the rules of Powerlifting (that says no straps allowed). I don't Powerlift and do not follow the sport. It is in a sad state of affairs! When I lift in the gym, I train hard and have fun. I do what I want and train the way I feel like. I can Barbell curl 170 (with just a slight cheat), wrist curl 230 for reps, bend bolts, swing sledge hammers for hours (I have set world records) and run five miles - all at a body weight of 205 (I'm 6-1) and at 54 years old. Trust me, I'm having a blast training the way I train and I'm one of the fittest and strongest (pound for pound)men you will find. But if you don't use straps, GREAT! I respect that too. Good luck, and train hard!

I can see your one of those guys who have been there and done that...I am still trying to do things with my grip that you have accomplished years ago, and I definitely know where you are coming from too...this is exactly why I joined this board...advice, wisdom, and different ideas I haven't considerd before! I think I can learn something from just about everybody on this site, and I don't pretend to know it all :) . So while I still prefer to not use straps at this point in my training career, it is likely that at somepoint my grip will become a limiting factor and I will have to reevaluate my stance on straps. I'm sorry if I came across as disrespectfull in my last post...my intetntion was to declare my preference, not to criticize those with the opposite preference!! I look forward to learning as much as I can here...from you or who ever else!!

• 3 weeks later...

Had best one ever today:

105 x 15, 155 x 8, 215 x 6, 305 x 5, 305 x 11R/5L, .... (can't recall rest) then cooldown with 210 x 20R/12L.

It was last day on Creatine and I am barely working out except weekends to avoid burnout from everything else in life.

Feeling pretty bestial: was getting much better height with 305 than previous and 305 x 15 cannot be too far off. That will be the goal - 305 x 15 with better ROM than using now and get on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but the squat is a different thing, and I bet he did a lot of DEEP and strict squats.

Had best one ever today:

105 x 15, 155 x 8, 215 x 6, 305 x 5, 305 x 11R/5L, .... (can't recall rest) then cooldown with 210 x 20R/12L.

It was last day on Creatine and I am barely working out except weekends to avoid burnout from everything else in life.

Feeling pretty bestial: was getting much better height with 305 than previous and 305 x 15 cannot be too far off. That will be the goal - 305 x 15 with better ROM than using now and get on YouTube.

What is your best full ROM dumbbell row?

• 2 months later...
What is your best full ROM dumbbell row?

I tend to go super-heavy, super-loose form and stay the same weight and slowly tighten up form and ROM.

I did 305 x 5 today that were decent considering the weight (the 100-pound and 45-pound plates touching ground to bottom of weight clearing top of bench). This was after a very loose set of 305 x 13.

After four sets of 305, I finished with 210 x 25R/15L which is insane. I believe I can do 40R/20L with 210 when fresh.

I see a lot of people go very light on one-armed rows and sometimes hyper-extend the form. They usually are not very strong and tend not to train very hard. I suspect some post might post on bodybuilding forums and keep "body-blogs" but have no way of knowing for sure.

Are there contests for one-armed rows where people judge? Or is there a special bench people lay on so there is no other body movement?

Are there contests for one-armed rows where people judge? Or is there a special bench people lay on so there is no other body movement?

Probably not, but there are contests for weighted chins in finland, someone came up with them...

...why not host your very own dumbbell rowing contest, maybe you can talk some fellow AWlers into competing...?

• 3 months later...

With the new straps, weight feels light but leg gets in way of dumbbell - have to experiment with a different stance to keep that from happening and to get a better ROM.

Turn the DB 45* so the back end is on the outside of your leg. You'll probably find this hand position more comfortable than straight and you'll be able to row farther toward your body (ROM).

I tried that today, got better ROM and did 34-reps with the 210. My goal is to tighten up form and do 210 x 40 right and post to YouTube.