Best One Armed Dumbell Row?

G-Man

Those could be the smallest 20kg/45-pound plates many of us have ever seen.

Puskasu just so big that plates little look. :rolleyes

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• lifesnotfair

• Kashtan

• ChrisJames

Rows actually need to be rows. Not humping and barely moving the weight. My 2 cents.

With the new straps, weight feels light but leg gets in way of dumbbell - have to experiment with a different stance to keep that from happening and to get a better ROM.

Earlier in this thread there was a link to Chris James rowing 250# on a 2.5" handle dumbell.

After watching it again, seeing how slow it was, although he was of course raising his torso, I realized he still had a lot of "rowing" motion in there. Then, after realizing it's a 2.5 inch handle, and seeing experienced lifters like G-man ranting about how straps make for such a much better lift (and not any straps, but GOOD straps also!), I have concluded that Chris James, if given a solid dumbell, with a standard 1" handle and G-man's ultra heavy duty wrist straps, could possibly do the cleanest DB row I've ever seen in youtube with a weight of 250#.

But this is just an opinion. :D

experienced lifters like G-man ranting about how straps make for such a much better lift (and not any straps, but GOOD straps also!)

Your tonality is demeaning but it is inconsistently demeaning. Like trolls and people fooled by them, you criticize regular people on form but stay away from doing that to currently-established, elite-level strength athletes. Why is that?

experienced lifters like G-man ranting about how straps make for such a much better lift (and not any straps, but GOOD straps also!)

Your tonality is demeaning but it is inconsistently demeaning. Like trolls and people fooled by them, you criticize regular people on form but stay away from doing that to currently-established, elite-level strength athletes. Why is that?

You need to continue this line of conversation by using the PM feature. Thanks

Pardon the shirtless guy, but this is what I would consider a real row. Most of what's being posted IMO is using the rest of the body doing the work or the weight is hardly moving and it becomes a no range of motion shoulder hump up and down. I don't get the reason for doing the exercise in this manner, but that's just me I guess! Plus, it opens one up to injury. :)

I know it was just said to continue the conversation in a private message but I'd like to publicly say that "ranting" was definitely a very poor choice of words and I'm sorry about that, G-man.

Wannagrip: so you actually PAUSE your DB rows at the top, like shown in the video? I thought this wasn't necessary and it would make you use much less weight than one could row "strictly" without pausing.

And how you can measure it is by the arm itself...not how much the whole body rises. Look where the elbow/upper arm ends up with a full ROM.

What do you think of this 130# rows Wanna?

I've always followed that guy coz his verticul pulling is insane, his weighed pull-up videos are quite amazing.

And how you can measure it is by the arm itself...not how much the whole body rises. Look where the elbow/upper arm ends up with a full ROM.

Agreed. The videos so far have the elbow stopping in-front-of the body, as opposed to the "ExtremistPullup" videos stopping point :whistel

Was I doing mine wrong , Wannagrip ?

I ask because one of my goals this year is to try an emulate or get near Voevodas one arm row with 400lbs but with no straps or anything.

If my form is not any good , i'll try and change it , i know i need to use a bench for support.

I also, have never used a bench shirt !!

I am sure you guys have been lifting long enough to assess the range of motion I put up versus whatever. I am no exercise cop, but I just had to pipe in when one video (to me anyway) was literally just humping the shoulder wildly and no ROM whatsoever really. :)

Look out Chris...... Wannacop is after you !!!. :yikes

When I do my one arm rowing, I do them as nasty and as much cheating I can. They feel great that way, I use a stack of weights to rest my other hand on. By the way Chris that video is amazing.

Edited by Terrygrip

Arturo,

No mate i have not seen any video footage of Voevoda one arm rowing but i'm sure he could do it with his incredible strength.

Thanks Terry mate.

Arturo,

No mate i have not seen any video footage of Voevoda one arm rowing but i'm sure he could do it with his incredible strength.

Thanks Terry mate.

Chris, YOUR strength is incredible my friend! I have no doubt in my mind that it's close to his, and bigger in some lifts.

If you never saw video, please be aware that many of this claims are now how you picture them. For example, some armwrestlers will say they preacher curled like 200 pounds with one arm.... now, if you picture them doing a full ROM curl you'll think they're insane. But one day you see a video and they only let their arm angle open to maybe 35 degrees (not even halfway between straight up and horizontal forearm) and then back up. And you say "oh, no wonder he "curled" 200 pounds"...

So I wouldn't be shocked if Voevoda ever did a "one arm row" with 400 pounds, but I'm willing to bet his form resembled what Wannagrip described a few posts ago: humping the shoulder wildly.

Just for reference Chris Chandler is a very strong armwrestler and there were rumors of big rows from him, but a guy that saw him told me "he did row 285# but it was a very ugly row; he did a good row with 225". You can probably guess what "a very ugly row" means as we've seen plenty of examples of those thanks to youtube. You can make up your own mind about Voevoda (or anyone else for that matter) one-arm rowing 400# with good form.... personally I don't think it's possible. Hell, most 400# BARBELL rows out there aren't very strict. One-arm? Come on... unless we call "rows" some wild movement that brings the dumbell off the floor... well I hope my point is clear. :)

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet.

LOL - The "correct" form vs the form that "leads to injury" look essentially the same.

Not a whole lot in Google that comes up:

injured doing one armed rows

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNSN_enUS396US396&q=injured+doing+one+armed+rows#q=injured+doing+one+armed+rows&hl=en&rlz=1T4RNSN_enUS396US396&prmd=ivns&ei=kQljTaekH8H1gAesyaGaAg&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.1,or.&fp=d4a7e52ef0af3d83

rotator cuff injury + one armed rows

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNSN_enUS396US396&q=injured+doing+one+armed+rows#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=rotator+cuff+injury+%2B+one+armed+rows&cp=22&pf=p&sclient=psy&rlz=1T4RNSN_enUS396US396&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=rotator+cuff+injury+%2B+one+armed+rows&pbx=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp=d4a7e52ef0af3d83

This reminds me a little of arm wrestling in a break arm position. You can use perfect technique and break your arm with minimal resistance if your bones are not properly conditioned. I have seen "pros" get their arms twisted almost like a pretzel in a break arm position (Michael Todd is famous for this), yet they are at very low risk of injury. A lot depends upon what your body is used to.

Yesterday, I was doing sets of 305 x 7R/3L short, choppy rows "humping" the weight (no lifting belt) before going light with much better ROM and the arms and shoulders feel fine. Lower back has never felt better too - just very sore overall, which is good.

At the gym today, I saw this guy doing one armed rows. He's a quiet guy who trains with his girlfriend and has been going to my gym for at least three years.

His form was flawless, as good if not better than any of the instruction videos.

The dumbbell was about 55-pounds. He was about 5',9' and maybe 155-160. He didn't stress or strain at all. Could there be a problem with that?

It depends what a person's goals are I suppose. If you were to ask me, I would not have known he even worked out if I saw him on the street. In fact, in the time he's been at my gym, he looks about the same size/shape.

Not everyone wants be huge, but if I were he, I would have doubled the weight and trained much harder, even if we sacrificed a bit on form. Intensity is so much more important than form, as long as you are doing a functional movement.

I understand some of the hang-ups people have on form. I have heard of people claim "600-pound bent over barbell rows" and when you see the video, it's a guy doing shrugs with his back arched slightly. However, if we define a movement as "strict" and "loose", they ought to be put in specific parameters that remove ALL subjectivity and judgment.

If you want to call your curl a "strict curl", then you should be seat belted to a wall so that no movement of the back is possible - otherwise, it is not truly strict. If you want to call it a "cheat curl", then do what you can to clean the weight to your chest as long as you maintain an underhand grip. Otherwise, it is pointless to argue what is a "cheat curl" and a "reverse grip clean."

Did Bill Kazmaier claim to cheat curl 315 x 15 - or was it a reverse clean?

If you want to call your squats "full squats", your backside should touch a barrier at the bottom that is agreed upon as the threshold for a full squat.

One armed rows are a little different. Unless you lie face down on a bench and do them - where your hand crosses a specific threshold at the top and the bottom of the movement, you cannot say it is truly "strict" - but by doing that, you are using so little "body English", you are mostly training biceps.

Edited by G-Man