Squat Depth And Form Check

Guest Bullitt

Ok, I forgot about the rack pulls! That will mess you up for squats. And looking at your list of accomplishments, I realize that giving up isn't likely one of your options...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bcpower66

• rico300zx

• cwdutton

• climber511

Mike - we'll fix it when you come visit - too much stuff to go into here.

Guest Bullitt

Ok, I forgot about the rack pulls! That will mess you up for squats. And looking at your list of accomplishments, I realize that giving up isn't likely one of your options...

Yea, exercise order was not optimal. HAHAHA

Mike - we'll fix it when you come visit - too much stuff to go into here.

Sounds great Chris! Can't wait!

Guest Bullitt

So I took Chris' (Raw Bench) advise and emailed Louie Simmons at West Side. Sent him the embarassing video too. Figured he probably wouldn't have time to respond, but he actually did. And it looks like you guys know a thing or two because he suggested box squats as well:

Michael,

You must squat on a box. Your shins go forward when you descend. By sitting on a box you can actually sit far back on to the box and your shins will be past straight up and down causing you to leg curl to get off of the box. Look on Youtube and see our squat workouts and the form we have. This should help you with your training.

Good luck,

Louie

Pretty neat. Thanks again everyone. Box squats, box squats, box squats until I get this right.

So I took Chris' (Raw Bench) advise and emailed Louie Simmons at West Side. Sent him the embarassing video too. Figured he probably wouldn't have time to respond, but he actually did. And it looks like you guys know a thing or two because he suggested box squats as well:

Michael,

You must squat on a box. Your shins go forward when you descend. By sitting on a box you can actually sit far back on to the box and your shins will be past straight up and down causing you to leg curl to get off of the box. Look on Youtube and see our squat workouts and the form we have. This should help you with your training.

Good luck,

Louie

Pretty neat. Thanks again everyone. Box squats, box squats, box squats until I get this right.

I remember the first time I visited Westside -- a guy I meet Olympic lifting worked out there and set up a visit for me. I figured he would introduce me to Louie and I'd stand around a lot watching maybe and stay out of the way. No way - Louie grabbed me - walked me around as he coached all the guys I had been reading about squat etc. Pointed out each persons flaws, strengths, problems etc and I learned what was what as he coached some the best in the county (and he coaches them as they all coach each other constantly). Spent over 3 hours with me - told me, showed me, pushed and pulled me until I finally sort of got it right. He told me I had one one the nicest natural box squats he had ever seen but I was weak as shit (that's a quote :)) There may be people in the strength world who think they are above you and are not willing to share their knowledge with you unless there is money involved - he is NOT one of them. I have visited several times now and each time has been that same kind of treatment - not only from Louie but the guys training there. And while some of the things Louie advocated does not fit into the goals I have for myself at this point of my life - everything he told me does work for their purposes.

Guest Bullitt

Michael,

Good luck,

Louie

I remember the first time I visited Westside -- a guy I meet Olympic lifting worked out there and set up a visit for me. I figured he would introduce me to Louie and I'd stand around a lot watching maybe and stay out of the way. No way - Louie grabbed me - walked me around as he coached all the guys I had been reading about squat etc. Pointed out each persons flaws, strengths, problems etc and I learned what was what as he coached some the best in the county (and he coaches them as they all coach each other constantly). Spent over 3 hours with me - told me, showed me, pushed and pulled me until I finally sort of got it right. He told me I had one one the nicest natural box squats he had ever seen but I was weak as shit (that's a quote :)) There may be people in the strength world who think they are above you and are not willing to share their knowledge with you unless there is money involved - he is NOT one of them. I have visited several times now and each time has been that same kind of treatment - not only from Louie but the guys training there. And while some of the things Louie advocated does not fit into the goals I have for myself at this point of my life - everything he told me does work for their purposes.

I watched his videos Chris, and i think I get it, but it would be cool if we could work on these for a few minutes Friday so I know exactly what I'm doing. Yea, I was blown away that he would respond to a guy like me. Pretty freakin awesome!

Louie ROCKS! Westside rocks!! Great bunch of guys that have always been helpful and take the time to help the "little" people out....

Chris

Mike

To me, and don't bust my balls, it looks perfect , your going down down down then your sittin "back" and loosing your nice form , I say with heavier weight you'll never be able to get back up from that position and you'll be yellin for help. Don't sit back into the "box" like your gonna sit down for real, just keep goin down! (If you have a old bench press slide that in between your legs then you won't have to worry about missing your box. And look up not to the sun but up a little taller than you stand put a dot on the wall or a nail and hang a gripper on it.) Touch and go back up or take your rest in that position. Just try it next time without sittin back. Once you sit down like that, without a rack around you, you can be stuck there. And your all alone all you can do is dump it back and mess up your house. Just try my maddness for me.

Also awsome I see you are trying it magnus samualsons way by doing your grippers between sets of squats! Excelent. You will be a # 4 closer. Keep up the good work brother.

Parris

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Rico. I agree that it would be tough to do a regular squat this way, but I actually am not getting as far back as the West Side guys do when they box squat. It's amazing. Louie suggested I go so far back that my lower legs actually go backwards past perpendicular and you almost have to do a hamstring curl to get yourself going back up. Once you get these down, it is supposed to translate to better form on the regular squat. And if I got stuck, the misses was there to bail me out. ;)

Here is a video of some of his big squatters doing them. Pretty cool:

Edited by Bullitt

Mike ,

Id still like to see a side view of loui's guys squatting they have a real wide stance which may accomidate the sitting back your talking about. But still I do have to admit he got some strong dudes there. I guess I'm loosin it, I always have bad advice for you. Hey how the hell else am I going to beat you in comp some day? Just kiddin Mike. I do what works for me, maby what I'm typin can help one of the other guys. You can just take my BS with a grain of salt I guess. All I want to know is how did I get to where I am then? I wish I was this lucky in the lotto!

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Mike ,

Id still like to see a side view of loui's guys squatting they have a real wide stance which may accomidate the sitting back your talking about. But still I do have to admit he got some strong dudes there. I guess I'm loosin it, I always have bad advice for you. Hey how the hell else am I going to beat you in comp some day? Just kiddin Mike. I do what works for me, maby what I'm typin can help one of the other guys. You can just take my BS with a grain of salt I guess. All I want to know is how did I get to where I am then? I wish I was this lucky in the lotto!

Rico

Parris,

I appreciate your advice a ton bro. You were spot on about these being different than real squats. I'm just mixing these in with regular squats until my form gets better. Like you said, what you do works for you - BIG TIME!

Damn Greg Panora is a BEAST!! He'll be the next Chuck V for westside! Mike, good job man.... Just keep working on 'em and make sure Melissa is yelling back,back,back.... ARCH,ARCH,ARCH.....That's good for another 50lbs on box squats!!!

Parris - your advice is like everyone else's - it's what you have found that works for you and your body - and that's what squatting (or any other) advice usually ends up being from all of us. The secret -if there is such a thing - is for each person to find what works for them and their levers, particular strengths and weaknesses and meets their goals. I think Mike has some problems with flexibility, mobility, and some inhibitions from his injury that are going to have to be worked with before everything comes together for him. I think most of the advice he has is quite good but he has to filter out what works for him from all of it by listening to his body more than any of us.

Guest Bullitt

Damn Greg Panora is a BEAST!! He'll be the next Chuck V for westside! Mike, good job man.... Just keep working on 'em and make sure Melissa is yelling back,back,back.... ARCH,ARCH,ARCH.....That's good for another 50lbs on box squats!!!

I should have her go shirtless like Louie. That should be good for another 50lbs on top of the yelling! :D

Parris - your advice is like everyone else's - it's what you have found that works for you and your body - and that's what squatting (or any other) advice usually ends up being from all of us. The secret -if there is such a thing - is for each person to find what works for them and their levers, particular strengths and weaknesses and meets their goals. I think Mike has some problems with flexibility, mobility, and some inhibitions from his injury that are going to have to be worked with before everything comes together for him. I think most of the advice he has is quite good but he has to filter out what works for him from all of it by listening to his body more than any of us.

Definitely. I appreciate everyone's feedback. With my inflexibility and the fear factor with my past back injury, the progress is slow. The mobility exercises from Smitty, the stretching, the wall squats Rick told me to do, the goblet squats Chris showed me, and the box squats are all helping. I will eventually get this. maybe. :blush I need to get a hard surface to squat on. The wife is not super keen on me bringing in a huge piece of plywood, so I will need to figure something out. When it warms up I can do them on the deck, but I may be stuck on the carpet until then.

I should have her go shirtless like Louie. That should be good for another 50lbs on top of the yelling! :D

LMAO!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more! Everyone is different, and different techniques work for others.

Definitely. I appreciate everyone's feedback. With my inflexibility and the fear factor with my past back injury, the progress is slow. The mobility exercises from Smitty, the stretching, the wall squats Rick told me to do, the goblet squats Chris showed me, and the box squats are all helping. I will eventually get this. maybe. :blush I need to get a hard surface to squat on. The wife is not super keen on me bringing in a huge piece of plywood, so I will need to figure something out. When it warms up I can do them on the deck, but I may be stuck on the carpet until then.

Looking good Mike! I know what Parris is saying, I had the same thoughts about box squats some time ago and he is right- the huge wide westside stance does work better with sitting way back, but their goals are different than yours I would think. Very extreme. Your "sitback" looks good for you. It gets you to load and fire the right muscles to drive you out of the hole, but Parris also has a point about looking up a bit. Not to the sky, but try to "slide" your head back into the bar and maybe tilt back a bit.

Rawbench has good advice too, concentrate on that arch! It seems like your biggest challenge, but it will get easier as your thoracic spine mobility improves and your hamstring/hip flexibility allows you to arch your lumbar spine. Your un-racking of 135 looks like you were really trying to arch.

Brent.

Guest Bullitt

You're holding the bar backwards. And you've got too many lights on.

Damn. That explains a lot Frank. I knew i should have marked an L and an R on there when I first pulled it out of the box. I think the manufacturer stamped it on, but I don't read Chinese very well. :shifty

You're holding the bar backwards. And you've got too many lights on.

Damn. That explains a lot Frank. I knew i should have marked an L and an R on there when I first pulled it out of the box. I think the manufacturer stamped it on, but I don't read Chinese very well. :shifty

Woa i didnt eb\ven think of that! at least some of the guys agreed with me in one way or another though!!

rico

Hey Mike,

your squat form looks improved seeing you box squatting. You're still shifting weight towards the toes when you come up, but less than before. As you start the ascend with the forward motion of your torso concentrate a bit more on pressing your heels into the ground, that'll help. The muscles on your backside will soon adapt to this style of squatting, making it feel normal. I'm sure with the help from Chris you will sort out your personal form of the squat and boxsquat.

The wider squatting makes sitting back a little easier, true.

By the way, I've squatted very wide for several years now, still remember the first time I did this in a competition... While I was walking out and moved my feet wide the mainreferee panicked a little, picked up his chair and hasted two meters backwards, looked somewhat scared... :laugh

Guest Bullitt

Hey Mike,

your squat form looks improved seeing you box squatting. You're still shifting weight towards the toes when you come up, but less than before. As you start the ascend with the forward motion of your torso concentrate a bit more on pressing your heels into the ground, that'll help. The muscles on your backside will soon adapt to this style of squatting, making it feel normal. I'm sure with the help from Chris you will sort out your personal form of the squat and boxsquat.

The wider squatting makes sitting back a little easier, true.

By the way, I've squatted very wide for several years now, still remember the first time I did this in a competition... While I was walking out and moved my feet wide the mainreferee panicked a little, picked up his chair and hasted two meters backwards, looked somewhat scared... :laugh

:laugh:laugh:laugh

Thanks. I'm definitely going to keep working on these until I find what works best for me. Then we'll start moving the weight and reps up.

Here is a simple tip Mike- Move the box closer to the stands. You are walking too far back. Your form looked better as things went on.

This isn't from my experience or anything, but textbook westside stuff says take a higher box if flexibilty is holding you back.

Enough from me. Looking better!

Guest Bullitt

Here is a simple tip Mike- Move the box closer to the stands. You are walking too far back. Your form looked better as things went on.

This isn't from my experience or anything, but textbook westside stuff says take a higher box if flexibilty is holding you back.

Enough from me. Looking better!

Thanks Bob! Yea, looking at the video, I have to take way too many baby steps to get back there and it also starts me looking down to find the box instead of up like i should be. I need to figure out where to put it, so i know where it is with a normal walk out. Great tip!

Here is a video of some of his big squatters doing them. Pretty cool:

Are they squatting that wide because it's box squat, or would they use the same stance otherwise?